Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  bboley24 : (09 January 2014 - 03:53 AM) How long have you been watching these Rockets Haze? New to the team?
@  HazeWinkle : (09 January 2014 - 02:00 AM) they are getting beat by the lakers.
@  thenit : (09 January 2014 - 01:55 AM) We are so cold from 3s the past month
@  HazeWinkle : (09 January 2014 - 01:24 AM) rtockets are full of idiots knocking the ball away from each other on a rebound
@  thenit : (09 January 2014 - 01:20 AM) They are cheating off brewer so much that's it's almost 4 on 5 when we have the ball
@  RollingWave : (08 January 2014 - 03:19 AM) I think something like this would work, objective for Bulls mainly to get under the tax, maybe a 2nd thrown in by either us or Toronto to them.
@  RollingWave : (08 January 2014 - 03:19 AM) http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=pjeyjzk
@  feelingsuper... : (08 January 2014 - 03:03 AM) Dunleavy would be a great pick up and a good guy from the locker room to the 3 point line.
@  RollingWave : (08 January 2014 - 01:06 AM) Woj report that we are trying to trade Dmo (expected) , clutchfan rumor that we are trying to get Dunlevy (logical)
@  majik19 : (08 January 2014 - 12:14 AM) No way Houston goes for Boozer. Would Houston make a play for Bynum? I doubt it - we don't need two injured backup centers. And his attitude would not sit well with this team.
@  rm90025 : (07 January 2014 - 05:34 PM) Also wonder if Bynum ends up with the Heat or the Clippers. That could give either team a game changing lift over the competition.
@  rm90025 : (07 January 2014 - 05:33 PM) I wonder if Bulls move Boozer now and if Houston gets involved.
@  rocketrick : (07 January 2014 - 10:38 AM) Luol Deng is an Unrestricted Free Agent after this season. Did the Bulls receive Max Value for him in this trade?
@  Dayak : (07 January 2014 - 05:59 AM) The Cavs turned 24 games of Andrew Bynum into an All-Star small forward in Deng. The Bulls will save $15M+, get below tax, get future 1st.
@  Dayak : (07 January 2014 - 05:59 AM) Brian Windhorst:
@  Buckko : (04 January 2014 - 09:42 PM) If Hazewinkle used mediocre at best to describe the rockets right now, I wonder what his opinions on the Texans were.
@  Opasido : (04 January 2014 - 08:49 PM) Shouldve crushed the knicks though. They were on B2B and melo injured, rockets were pretty refreshed. oh well
@  rocketrick : (04 January 2014 - 02:48 PM) If the Rockets are truly "mediocre at best" per Hazewinkle, what does that mean for the rest of the NBA (22/30 teams with lower winning % than us)?
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:44 PM) With Lin, I notice he looked like he took a hit or something early in the 3rd. that and/or maybe Tyson Chandler figured out something with how he play screens and out smarted him
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:43 PM) for all the crap he took Garcia played pretty well this game, Smith was really quite but managed to defend the paint pretty well too

Photo

New York Knicks @ Houston Rockets on 1/3/2014

48 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

New post: New York Knicks @ Houston Rockets on 1/3/2014
    By: Paul McGuire

In our modern society, where attention spans grow short and everything boils down to the snap ending, “urgency” is the tool which is used to grab focuses.  Every third down becomes urgent, every play becomes urgent, every game becomes urgent.  Yet despite how every game is supposedly the urgent and critical one, it is tonight’s game, against the floundering New York Knicks, that the trite cliché of “urgency” becomes far too real.  For if the Rockets lose after two days of rest to a New York team that played in San Antonio last night, I will be the first to admit that this Houston team might actually be in trouble.

• I wrote yesterday about the Rockets’ struggles in December, among which I discussed the grueling December schedule.  By contrast, January is a virtual cakewalk.  Houston will only play 14 games this month, and only four of them will be against fellow Western Conference playoff teams, and none against the two Eastern behemoths of Miami and Indiana.  But with the easier teams comes higher expectations.  Houston simply cannot afford to blow games against inferior teams like they repeatedly have in the past.  Much of that is mental – Daryl Morey tweeted and stated in an interview with Houston’s 790 radio station yesterday that this team does not seem to take plays in the first half as urgently as in the second, even though the reality is that all plays are created equal.
    • Anyone who is reading this preview should know about the sheer chaos which has plagued the Knicks all season.  Few expected them to earn homecourt advantage in the East, but even the biggest pessimists did not think that they would be in the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.  Or rather, they would be if the Knicks hadn’t shipped off their first round pick to Denver to get Carmelo Anthony.  And let us not forget that Houston also owns New York’s second round pick this year and next year in exchange for 24 games of Marcus Camby.  Kudos to Morey, as usual.
    • Despite all the ink spilled about the Knicks this season, it is impossible to tell what team will come out onto the floor.  Will J.R. Smith pout about the departure of his brother, or will Houston’s perimeter defense provide him with just the boost that he needs?  How will Carmelo function alongside these misfits, especially since he has just returned from a sprained ankle?  Who will provide the minutes at point guard?  The Knicks are a sort of bizarro Houston, with lots of 3-pointers, maddening inconsistency, and a great wing superstar who can score at will.  They can be incredibly good, as they showed last night by shocking the San Antonio Spurs on their home floor.  But for most of this season, they have not.
    • Greg Smith might be ready for tonight’s game, though it is currently unclear at the time of this writing.  While Smith is not quite a big man to be inserted for defensive purposes, the thought of no longer playing Terrence Jones at the center spot with Casspi at the 4 is indeed a comforting thought.  Do please be careful with your knees this time, Smith.

Rotation Spotlight:

Andrea Bargnani

Andrea Bargnani

The Rockets defeated the Knicks in Madison Square Garden earlier this season, but the general reaction from that game was less about the result and more about the fact that Bargnani, a player infamous for his softness and lack of defense, utterly humiliated Dwight Howard’s attempts in the post and held him to 1-5 from the floor.  Some of this criticism was unfair.  Bargnani is a good post defender; team defense and rotations are where he is downright miserable.  But it was still discomforting to see the larger Howard struggle so much.

Now, almost two months later, Howard’s post play has become far more effective .  Will Bargnani guard Howard, with the return of Tyson Chandler?  If he does, will Howard be able to avenge his earlier humiliation and also prevent Bargnani from scoring as well as the Italian did in the earlier game (24 points on 12 shots)?  And will the Rockets take care to give him the ball as much as needed if it works out for Howard?

Tip-off is at 7:00pm CST.  Game will be broadcast on NBATV.

#2 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
    • 810 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 100, New York Knicks 98 - All's Well That Ends Well
      By: Rob Dover

Coming off a disappointing loss to Sacramento, this was a key game for the Rockets to get back on track. Some bad habits have been forming that it would have been nice to see broken, but more important was to get a win to stop the team from sliding any further down the Western Conference standings. They weren't perfect, and they left it late, but eventually they hung on for an important win.

• In what is by now a very familiar trend, Harden decided to monopolize the ball in the clutch. They had stretched the lead up to 5, but on repeated possessions he ran the clock down without getting a good shot out of it. While watching this game, it occurred to me that there are two types of Harden isolations. In the good, acceptable ones he faces up his defender prior to using his dribble and keeps his head up. Often these end up with him whipping the ball to a team-mate whose defender has cheated off him slightly too much, but he can also work out of the triple threat to get the step on his defender. In the bad type of isolation, he tends to have a live dribble. In that situation, he is much less likely to consider passing, and especially in late-game situations he has a tendency to go for fancy side-to-side dribbles instead of wriggling his way towards the rim. Unfortunately the late game possessions were more of the latter type, and we saw the perils of that approach when he accidentally dribbled the ball off his foot and was lucky not to give the Knicks a fast break.
      • It's worth bearing in mind - you have to balance any criticism of Harden with an acknowledgement that he pretty much single-handedly kept the Rockets' offence going in the second half of this game. He finished with 37 points and 6 assists, and there were stretches of the game where he seemed to be the only player capable of making a shot. The timely threes and trips to the line are a huge asset to the team and in my mind it's worth taking the bad with the good. It's just frustrating given that there's no good reason that you couldn't keep the positives and get rid of the negatives.
      • Despite the hero-ball, the Rockets were able to come away with the victory. This was thanks to a combination of actually getting some stops in the late game for once and some terrible decision making from the Knicks. A few weeks ago Bargnani was rightly pilloried for launching a three when all he had to do was hold onto the ball. You would have thought that the team would have learned its lesson from that, but apparently not. With 20 seconds left on the clock and the scores tied at 100, the Knicks corralled an offensive rebound. All they had to do was hold for the last shot, but instead they passed the ball to JR Smith at the top of the arc who promptly missed a three. The Rockets got the board and to compound the error, a foul while fighting for the ball put Brooks on the line. So instead of having the last shot and a chance to win the game in regulation, the Knicks got the ball back with 17 seconds and needing to score to avoid losing. A huge swing and a lucky break in the Rockets' favour.
      • There's not much you can do about Carmelo - despite playing on a sprained ankle he was too good in the post for Parsons. What you can do, however, is keep tabs on the Knicks' outside shooters. The Rockets started out doing this very well - I was impressed initially by the extra attention the defenders seemed to be paying to their men on the perimeter. However, as the game wore on that effort started to lapse and shooters started to get free. Iman Shumpert took special advantage of the freedom he was afforded as he buried 6 of 6 outside shots (all of them open). Sometimes shooters get hot, but here the Rockets gave him so much space it was not particularly surprising that he made a high percentage and this inattention was a huge part of why the game was close down the stretch.
      • Once again it felt like Howard did not get enough touches in the post. He was rarely saw the ball in the second half, and with the offence generally looking anaemic he should probably have been fed a bit more often.
      • On a related note, it was good to see Greg Smith back in the rotation. I've been a bit concerned by some of the minute totals Howard has been putting up in past games (even with Smith, he still had 38 minutes tonight), but hopefully McHale will be able to rejig the rotation in future games to keep Dwight's minutes a little lower.
      • Harden kept trying to throw a lob to Terrence Jones in the first half. The first few times it was slow and telegraphed and the Knicks had defenders in place to snuff it out. It doesn't look like a good option in the half court set, but when they tried it on the fast break it connected rather well. Perhaps it's something they've been practising in their days off?

#3 PKM

PKM

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

I view this as the Sacramento game all over again.  Only this time, we weren't quite as terrible at the free throw line.

So basically, I'm not happy about this game at all. 

That said, since it is inevitably going to be a storyline from this game, I'll pre-empt the Lin thing with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/...321028318199809

Edited by PKM, 04 January 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#4 rm90025

rm90025

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 52 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:30 AM

The Rockets were lucky to win.  The Knicks had a chance to win and should've won the game but for JR Smith's really bad decision making . Howard had limited touches and the Knicks' tall front line (three 7 footers!) owned the glass it seemed.

Although it has happened too often in his 1 1/2  years with the Rockets, Jeremy Lin was inexplicably benched for the entirety of the 4th quarter despite having had a good game, as Aaron Brooks went 1-8 from the field. For as well as Lin has played in the 4th quarter, this benching might've been the writing on the wall moment for his future in Houston.  The Lin for Deng trade rumors continues to swirl on the web, and this decision by McHale tells me that once Beverley gets back, they'll look to make that trade if Chicago maintains its interest.

As for the Rockets, they seem to have slipped behind Golden St and might be a #6 seed at best.  Of the top 8 teams in the west, they're the one team that has the least cohesion, most chemistry problems, and no clear offensive philosophy or identity.  They might have the most talent of any team in the western conference, though, so if they ever do figure it out they could go on a 20-2 run to end the season.

#5 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 127 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:40 AM

The Rockets were lucky to win.  The Knicks had a chance to win and should've won the game but for JR Smith's really bad decision making . Howard had limited touches and the Knicks' tall front line (three 7 footers!) owned the glass it seemed.

Although it has happened too often in his 1 1/2  years with the Rockets, Jeremy Lin was inexplicably benched for the entirety of the 4th quarter despite having had a good game, as Aaron Brooks went 1-8 from the field. For as well as Lin has played in the 4th quarter, this benching might've been the writing on the wall moment for his future in Houston.  The Lin for Deng trade rumors continues to swirl on the web, and this decision by McHale tells me that once Beverley gets back, they'll look to make that trade if Chicago maintains its interest.

I can't wait till the day Lin is out of Houston. McHale said "That group got us back in the game. I felt like I'd let them go".. BS

#6 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 855 posts
            • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:54 AM

In terms of PG play, I did think that to start the game Lin did a very good job on Udrih (although part of this was that Udrih never seemed to attack out of the pick-and-roll in the early going). However, when Murry came in in the second quarter he did a much better job of jetting off picks and getting into the lane with a head of steam. Lin was really struggling to contain him properly. When Udrih came back in the second half, he seemed to have taken some advice to be more aggressive, and as the game went on I thought Udrih started to get the upper hand.

At the end of the day that analysis is probably moot since the Knicks were revolving completely around Carmelo towards the end of the game and defence on Udrih was not a huge priority. Given the way the offence was being run by Harden, you probably want to put your best three point shooter next to him to be ready for last minute kick-outs, and right now that's Brooks rather than Lin.

ST

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 2,359 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

...and this well-written article on the Jeremy Lin phenomenon

....and to add to Sir Thursday's observations...Lin was 0-2 with 2 turnovers and a foul in 9 minutes in the third quarter on top of the defensive problems.

#8 sli

sli

• Members
            • Pip
            • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

<br /><br /><p>In fairness, Howard had been benched by McHale for the 4th quarter in one game too. Howard laughed it off by claiming that he told McHale to keep D-Mo in. Lin should learn from Howard and doesn't waste his mental energy on what McHale was trying to imply.</p>

#9 rm90025

rm90025

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 52 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

In terms of PG play, I did think that to start the game Lin did a very good job on Udrih (although part of this was that Udrih never seemed to attack out of the pick-and-roll in the early going). However, when Murry came in in the second quarter he did a much better job of jetting off picks and getting into the lane with a head of steam. Lin was really struggling to contain him properly. When Udrih came back in the second half, he seemed to have taken some advice to be more aggressive, and as the game went on I thought Udrih started to get the upper hand.

At the end of the day that analysis is probably moot since the Knicks were revolving completely around Carmelo towards the end of the game and defence on Udrih was not a huge priority. Given the way the offence was being run by Harden, you probably want to put your best three point shooter next to him to be ready for last minute kick-outs, and right now that's Brooks rather than Lin.

ST

Lin was the guy who delivered those big 3 pt shots against Memphis and New Orleans.  Lin is one of the best percentage shooters on the team. I think it's fair to point out that a lot of coaches would've gone back to Lin in Q4 with his track record. 

#10 Steven

Steven

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,291 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

Of course McHale should have let the team on the court stay on the court. +13 is worthy of being left alone, unless you are talking game changers.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 2,359 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

I prefer to focus on the Rockets winning and not Jeremy Lin's minutes.  I hope nobody is offended by the video I posted above--I thought it was amusing.  I googled "leave jeremy lin alone" (a la Chris Crocker (NSFW)), because that is how it feels sometimes reading post game reactions, and it popped right up like clockwork.

I'll say this for Brooks--he was able to get the ball to Dwight quickly and in good position...not that they did much of that in the 4th quarter either...Howard took one shot in the last period (technically two but he got fouled on one and made his free throws).

When our offense bogs down late in games I'd like to see us start feeding Dwight in the post for a change.  Working on the perimeter is producing too many bad shots and turnovers the way we run the offense (although Harden did nail two nice shots this game).  The opposing team may choose to hack him, but that's fine.  Tyson Chandler only had three fouls to give and would have been on the bench in no time.

#12 MrLobble

MrLobble

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

this team still needs a true point guard!

#13 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 228 posts
                    • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Well, this team does not need a PG.

LOF here.

#14 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 973 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Agreed, when did wades heat, Kobe's lakers, or Jordan's bulls ever have a true pass first PG. Get the memo?

#15 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,161 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

I can't wait till the day Lin is out of Houston. McHale said "That group got us back in the game. I felt like I'd let them go".. BS

I have always been a proponent of Jeremy Lin on this board.

So, I totally agree that Coach McHale made the best choice to stick with the 5 guys (D12, Harden, Parsons, AB and Cisco Kid) that got us back in the game because of the importance of defensive stops. The Knicks only shot 25% in the 4th quarter and I believe it is because the guys that were on the floor were very solid with their rotations.

I believe the LOF's need to take a breath and realize that NBA basketball is a TEAM game. You guys (and gals) are reading WAY too much into McHale's rotations and player decisions. Just because Lin sits the 4th quarter doesn't have anything to do with McHale hating him and loving someone else more.

Lin will get similar opportunities in 4th quarters of future games as he has in past games where he is the most effective PG on BOTH ends of the court.

Coach Rudy used to do this all the time, ride the guys that were kicking it into gear in the 4th quarter. Sometimes Cassell finished the game, sometimes Kenny Smith finished the game.

What matters the most is not how many minutes individual players get, but WINS.

Edited by rocketrick, 04 January 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#16 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 837 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Agreed, when did wades heat, Kobe's lakers, or Jordan's bulls ever have a true pass first PG. Get the memo?

wade Kobe and Jordan were quite a bit better than where harden currently is at.

#17 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,161 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

wade Kobe and Jordan were quite a bit better than where harden currently is at.

DWade and Kobe won their first NBA titles with Shaq as the big man in the middle. Did Shaq play a larger role in winning those titles or did DWade and Kobe? No doubt in my mind DWade was the more valuable player in 2006 but Shaq was clearly the more valuable player when Kobe won his first titles.

MJ didn't win his first title until he was 28. Harden just turned 24 in August.

Still, I give you much credit for daring to compare our James Harden with the likes of a DWade, Kobe and MJ. Rare company indeed!

Just makes me wonder that much more why you are even discussing the possibility of trading James Harden at this early stage in his career (just turned 24 and 1/3 of the way through his second season as a starter in the NBA)???

Edited by rocketrick, 04 January 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#18 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPip
                            • 837 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

You're reading way too much into the whole harden trade thing. Wade was the driving force of the heats run in 06, while shaq was a dominant force in the early 2000s with Kobe. Harden does have a dominant big man as well in Howard we will see how that progresses the next few years.

#19 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPipPip
                              • 1,161 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

You're reading way too much into the whole harden trade thing. Wade was the driving force of the heats run in 06, while shaq was a dominant force in the early 2000s with Kobe. Harden does have a dominant big man as well in Howard we will see how that progresses the next few years.

Why is this even being discussed then (trading Harden)??????????

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                                • 2,359 posts
                                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

That's a good point, but it ignores a key element---the triangle offense.  In a system like this, a pass-first PG is not necessary.  In fact, a shoot-first PG would be more desirable given the other personnel (Kobe, MJ, Shaq, Pippen).  Hence, guys like Paxson, Kerr, Harper, and Fisher all excelled playing in these systems.

Wade's Heat featured Jason Williams (White Chocolate) and Gary Payton at the PG position.  Williams was an excellent passer--especially in Miami as he had cut out the showboating.  The Heat were also a ridiculously good defensive squad with Shaq, Mourning, Wade, Posey, and Haslem...I left off Payton because he just wasn't the same guy he was in Seattle.

If you are referring to Wade's current Heat team then you know their PG is named Lebron James.  Further, they also run a fast-paced ball movement system that spreads the assists out pretty evenly.  James, Wade, and Chalmers all average 5+ assists with Allen and Cole coming in with a few per game as well.

The point isn't that Houston "needs" a pass-first PG to win a championship.  There is a difference between a dribble-penetration guard who can slash through the lane and still manage to get a shot off or whip a pass to the corner and the kind of guard who can navigate comfortably into traffic while maintaining what seems like an impossible 360 degree court vision and is able to find guys for easy shots in a sea of moving giants.  These guys can bend the defense to their liking.  They are rare.  I think a player like that would elevate our team.

Given enough time and practice, I do believe our current guys can learn to make it work by implementing a style similar to what Miami uses.  We've seen the numbers.  In crunch time this group gets stagnant on offense.  We make it easy on the defense by taking shots with low percentages and running little, if any, sort of play to try and get a better look.  I'd say watch Chris Paul close out a game....but we're going to need to wait a month for that :( .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users