Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Buckko : (04 January 2014 - 09:42 PM) If Hazewinkle used mediocre at best to describe the rockets right now, I wonder what his opinions on the Texans were.
@  Opasido : (04 January 2014 - 08:49 PM) Shouldve crushed the knicks though. They were on B2B and melo injured, rockets were pretty refreshed. oh well
@  rocketrick : (04 January 2014 - 02:48 PM) If the Rockets are truly "mediocre at best" per Hazewinkle, what does that mean for the rest of the NBA (22/30 teams with lower winning % than us)?
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:44 PM) With Lin, I notice he looked like he took a hit or something early in the 3rd. that and/or maybe Tyson Chandler figured out something with how he play screens and out smarted him
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:43 PM) for all the crap he took Garcia played pretty well this game, Smith was really quite but managed to defend the paint pretty well too
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:39 PM) though this game for once almost all the bench guys had a good game in +/-
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:36 PM) Lin was legitimately awful in the 3rd, which was strange, I took a look again and he played the screens really well in the first 2 quarter then suddenly couldn't read any screen in the 3rd
@  rocketrick : (04 January 2014 - 11:56 AM) The Knicks shot only 25% in the 4th quarter. AB, Garcia plus D12, Harden and Parsons were the most effective defensive rotation tonight.
@  Dayak : (04 January 2014 - 05:48 AM) Hot hand? 1-8 FGM-A. Lol, SMH.
@  Dayak : (04 January 2014 - 05:47 AM) Thank you J.R. Smith. I just couldn't understand why McHale keep Brooks play for the entire 4th quarter
@  HazeWinkle : (04 January 2014 - 03:59 AM) i mean allowing defensive rebounding
@  HazeWinkle : (04 January 2014 - 03:54 AM) rockets got away with one but man our defense and offensive rebounding need alot of work
@  Opasido : (04 January 2014 - 03:33 AM) Anybody else see in the last 20 seconds Bargnani wide open for a dunk if he just turned around? And JR Smith with that boneheaded 3? Won the game due to Knick's boneheaded mistakes
@  rm90025 : (04 January 2014 - 03:33 AM) Rockets were very lucky because of JR Smith's complete lack of basketball IQ.
@  Chai : (04 January 2014 - 03:29 AM) wow i think my heart just missed a beat those last possessions.
@  HazeWinkle : (04 January 2014 - 03:16 AM) Harden made a play on defense\
@  HazeWinkle : (04 January 2014 - 02:55 AM) this team is mediocre at best
@  2016Champions : (03 January 2014 - 08:28 PM) Anyway, I'm glad to hear there was a players only meeting. Having a good long talk is exactly what was needed, plus a good practice session. The 2 days rest came at a great time. The schedule gets a lot easier from here, 75% of the remaining games are against sub .500 teams
@  2016Champions : (03 January 2014 - 07:24 PM) It definitely is tiring, but is that a good excuse?
@  BrentYen : (03 January 2014 - 07:16 PM) I guess it is to tiring to run it, especially for bigs?

Photo

Kevin McHale

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:15 AM

I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer a fan of kevin McHale. I love the guy, the player and even the tutor. But he's better suited to be the highest paid assistant in the league (which I fully endorse) but not the head honcho.
    I realize he holds more value to a team with Dwight Howard than other teams, but he's still not a true head coach. Too many times does our offense devolve into hero ball and poor shots. I also realize jerry Sloan in long off the list of would-be replacements but could you imagine if we had a similar philosophy that ran the pick and roll into the ground and built offense off of that chaos than what we have now? You could still play fast, value the corner 3 and take efficient shots, but would have a true half court set. The other end of the spectrum is my true hope, that we bring tom thibodeau back to Houston after the inevitable bulls split. If we can't run the right offense with this team, let's at least build a killer D around Dwight.

#2 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
    • 1,503 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

You have posted an opinion which is fine but in the future even if your topic is mostly opinion at least throw some kind of data in there. We all have opinions but using data goes a long way.

As to your opinion, I think McHale is doing just fine and I have a feeling Morey is quite happy with his contributions and that is what really matters. I don't think Sloan would be very interested in guidance from Morey's number crunchers but you never know. Anyway, welcome to Red94 and I hope you enjoy the forum.

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,146 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

Here we go again

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#4 Richards

Richards

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 353 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

- he did not make superstar players Dwight and Harden accountable but yelled all others like crazy in public.

- accountability doesn't work in work place if you treat people differently

#5 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,790 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Mchale is here to stay. A lot of us think he's not a great coach, but realize he'll get at least a few more years to prove us wrong or right. I hope he does well because then the Rockets would be doing well.

Why so Serious? :D

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 2,323 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

This is kind of neat.  It's an interview McHale did with Jason Friedman shortly before last season (and before the Harden trade).  It's not directly relevant to where we are now, but the interview shines a lot of light on how he views the game, players, and coaching in general.  LINK

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 2,323 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Here is an excerpt from that interview that I enjoyed quite a bit:

Last year at the end of the year there were some guys that I’d really grown close to and felt that I knew if you asked them to lay it all on the line that they’d fight for you and they’d fight for each other. At the end of the day, that’s what this league is all about. We’ve got to get these guys willing to fight for each other and go out there and fight for the win. Whatever it takes to make that happen, they’ll do it.

Again, that is not the sexy, ‘Oh you’re in the NBA, you get paid.’ That’s why half these clowns in this league don’t win anything. They don’t realize that it comes down to how hard you’re willing to fight for each other. It’s your team. How hard are you willing to fight for it? What are you willing to do to win that game that night and then what are you willing to do to win that game the next night? You do that 82 times, then you do it another twenty-something times in the playoffs if you’re lucky and you win a championship. Because the answer is: Whatever it takes. When you have a team that says, ‘I’ll do whatever it takes to win,’ you’re moving in the right direction.

Most teams have guys who say, ‘Well, I’ll play up to this point, but after that, now I’m uncomfortable. You mean I have to put a body on LeBron James and box him out? Wait a minute now.’ So you want to find the guys who will do whatever it takes to win and we’ve got to find out how many of these young guys are willing to do that and then – win, lose or draw – are willing to do it all over again the next night.

It’s a grind. The NBA is a huge grind. It’s not a sexy league. Everybody thinks that it is. But it’s a grinder’s, workman’s, tough league. I always chuckle because I see people writing that it’s about something else. They’ve never played. I’ve never seen a guy who’s played in this league and had success who hasn’t said the exact same thing. It’s all people from afar or people who have never won who say it’s about something else. Talk to anybody who’s won and they’ll tell you it’s a grind and it’s all about finding a way to bring it every night.

So that’s what we’ve got to find out with our team: How many of those guys do we have?

JCF: Do you think the percentage of those guys in the league is any different today than it was when you played? Or do you think there always will be a portion of guys who get it, some who don’t and the vast majority who exist somewhere in between?

KM: There are always going to be guys who are willing to play really hard until it gets uncomfortable. And then there are those guys who, when it gets really uncomfortable, they dig even deeper. Then there are the guys who – and I hate to say this but it’s true – look at you and say, ‘Come on, dude, I’m making some good money and I’m only going to play so hard.’ I think you can figure out which group you win more with.

That’s why veteran teams tend to win more. It takes you a long time to figure it out because no one is telling you that. You have people whispering in your ear when you’re in college, ‘Oh, wait ‘til you get to the NBA, you’re going to get paid and get cars and live here.’ They’re telling you about all this stuff you’re going to get but they don’t tell you about how hard it is.

If you were to ask LeBron James if his mindset is different now than it was five years ago I bet he’d tell you just how different it is. He found out that nothing else mattered except winning. For all his talent, if he was to achieve what he wanted to achieve nothing else

mattered except winning. There’s nothing else. That’s all there is. But sometimes it’s hard to get players to see that.

You have to experience it, man. You have to get your heart broken and you have to lose some tough games and have a lot of stuff happen before you get that real hard, hard finish. That’s why we have to try to do everything we can to get our young guys to that point as quickly as we can.

And just as McHale says in the interview, here are Lebron and Chris Paul talking to young guys (Steph Curry and Harden are there) about what it takes to succeed in the NBA (it's been posted before, but felt it was relevant here)

#8 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

• Members
      • Pip
      • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

You have posted an opinion which is fine but in the future even if your topic is mostly opinion at least throw some kind of data in there. We all have opinions but using data goes a long way.

The piece was not a data piece, it is an eye test piece. We play Morey ball, so we all know our efficiency numbers. But the offense isn't right. And I don't think you need numbers to see that. It's playing out in front of us every night.

The only thing about Sloan and Morey clashing I'm curious about is the midrange pick and pop. We obviously devalue those types of shots, but i think you could fit Moreys values into a Sloan based system. Those jazz teams lived off the pick and pop, but if think that was more Malone being an elite midrange shooter than anything else.

#9 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
        • 1,503 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Let's be serious, Sloan is a pipe dream at best, come on. I am more into reading about and discussing reality but that's just me.

As for the Rockets offense, it's just inconsistent which is to be expected with a new rotation. When the offense is rolling it's elite and really they just need time. All the top teams stars have had significant time together which includes Lillard/Aldridge, Paul/Griffin, Westbrook/Durant, Curry/Thompson/Lee, Parker/Duncan/Ginobli as well as the Pacers and Heat cores. Harden and Howard are just about 30 games into there time together here in Houston and that's nothing in the big picture.

#10 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,146 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

The piece was not a data piece, it is an eye test piece. We play Morey ball, so we all know our efficiency numbers. But the offense isn't right. And I don't think you need numbers to see that. It's playing out in front of us every night.
        The only thing about Sloan and Morey clashing I'm curious about is the midrange pick and pop. We obviously devalue those types of shots, but i think you could fit Moreys values into a Sloan based system. Those jazz teams lived off the pick and pop, but if think that was more Malone being an elite midrange shooter than anything else.

Exactly. Malone was an elite mid range shoooter. If we had Aldridge for example I'm sure we would let him take those long 2s, but there is now way we are letting Jones take them. The philosophy needs to fit the players, and Moreyball is perfect with the players we have.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#11 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 848 posts
        • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

This is kind of neat.  It's an interview McHale did with Jason Friedman shortly before last season (and before the Harden trade).  It's not directly relevant to where we are now, but the interview shines a lot of light on how he views the game, players, and coaching in general.  LINK

The sections I found most interesting in that interview were where he espouses the philosophy that the key to winning is maximising your team's touches in the paint (note: not shots, but touches). I should have thought that sort of thing is measurable these days what with SportsVu data available. NBA.com doesn't seem to provide it as a stat, but I would love to see a team-by-team breakdown of paint touches per 100 possessions or some-such.

ST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users