Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Buckko : (12 December 2013 - 06:55 AM) I hope we can play CP for Portland and GS, then rest him for Sacromento. We need the Ws for this month.
@  RollingWave : (12 December 2013 - 04:00 AM) I think once Lin is back resting Parsons would be more doable, we REALLY struggle without a secondary player maker
@  2016Champions : (11 December 2013 - 08:02 AM) The smart thing would be to rest, but I really, really, want a win against Portland. Then we have a crazy 8 games in 11 days coming up in the schedule. Omer Asik for Thaddeus Young continues to make sense.
@  RollingWave : (11 December 2013 - 12:35 AM) I'm worried, this 3 day off came at a good time, if Lin is back you might want to rest Parsons on some nights against lesser opponents
@  2016Champions : (10 December 2013 - 10:35 PM) Is anyone else really worried about Parsons back spasms? We saw what they did to McGrady's career.
@  RollingWave : (09 December 2013 - 09:42 AM) Well really though Masai's award really just belongs to Dolan's idiocy
@  2016Champions : (09 December 2013 - 09:19 AM) That $15 million over 5 years contract Toronto gave Masai Ujiri was well worth it.
@  2016Champions : (09 December 2013 - 09:18 AM) Then Masai leaves Denver for Toronto and immediately ships Bargnani for Knicks 2016 1st round pick. I'm surprised he got more than a 2nd round pick let alone another potential lottery pick. What a genius! Dumping Rudy Gay's contract ($17.3 million this season, $19.5 million next season)completes the hat trick.
@  RollingWave : (09 December 2013 - 09:17 AM) on top of picks, one of which now look like a top 10 for sure in a great draft, maybe even top 5.
@  RollingWave : (09 December 2013 - 09:16 AM) Well no they couldn't have signed Melo due to cap , but really they literally gave them their entire team's asset, it's like us trading Lin / Parsons / Jones for Melo.
@  2016Champions : (09 December 2013 - 09:10 AM) I think this Masai Ujiri guy could be the first GM to win back to back Executive of the Year awards, and for two different teams. That Melo to New York trade was incredible because Melo was on his contract year, so New York could have just signed him for free in free agency. Nuggets really striked gold with that Knicks 2014 1st round pick.
@  RollingWave : (09 December 2013 - 08:47 AM) If the Knicks end up with the #1 pick (to Denver) they HAVE to stage the draft somewhere else for safety concerns right? :P
@  rocketrick : (09 December 2013 - 08:46 AM) Rudy Gay being traded to Sacramento Kings
@  2016Champions : (09 December 2013 - 04:14 AM) Lol
@  thenit : (09 December 2013 - 12:45 AM) Lol Dolan is so bad that it's plausible
@  2016Champions : (08 December 2013 - 10:11 PM) What if the Knicks are secretly tanking not realizing they don't have a 1st, that's plausible, right?
@  2016Champions : (08 December 2013 - 06:22 PM) I'm reading some hilarious tweets ridiculing the Knicks. Poor Knicks fans lol
@  Dayak : (05 December 2013 - 06:04 AM) J.R. Harden, lol.
@  HazeWinkle : (05 December 2013 - 05:09 AM) @feeling super he had only 15 pts 4-11 shooting which could be put on jh or km he had 5 to and he got blocked about 5 times by guys not known for their defense
@  thenit : (05 December 2013 - 04:35 AM) linsanity, hard yo get that label off, anyone with that king of usage rate has high turnovers including harden, Kobe etc

Photo

Jeremy Lin is Likely the Best Driver in the NBA

33 replies to this topic

#1 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

@JeremyLintel: Jeremy Lin is Likely the Best Driver in the NBA http://t.co/3PTVPV78mT

Not saying I agree or disagree because it really doesn't matter what a LOF thinks right? I'm pretty sure Daryl Morey and every other stat guy looks at this too so draw your own conclusions.

#2 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 922 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

I wouldn't say best but his speed off his first step is amazing. I remember reading an article and I can't remember if it was from here or another site, written after the pheonix loss. It talks about how important the Lin, parsons, harden trio is. They are all great passers,shooters, drivers, and facilitators, and having atleast two on the floor at the same time,stretches the defense for each other. But when you only have one( for ex. Suns game with Lin and parsons out) the defense focuses on that one and shuts them down along with the offense. This is why Lin and parsons are so important along with Lin being the 6th man that keeps that 3 man facilitator rotation going.

#3 thenit

thenit

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 345 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

Best is a far reach. I would put him as a very good at driving the lane now that he can finish with his left. Still he gets caught in the air and end up with turnover once or twice a game.

#4 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 787 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Lebron is tough to beat on drives but Lin is one of the better guards taking it to the basket.

#5 CanSayNOTC

CanSayNOTC

• Members
          • Pip
          • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

Bill Simmons on Grantland's podcast (12/3) talked about trade scenarios for Houston...Terrence Jones... and stats touting Lin's driving ability. Knickabbockaz, can't imagine the frustrations of being a Knicks fan.. being a big Lin fan probably made it so much worse.... I feel for you. They should have never replaced JLin with Felton. 

Best is a far reach. I would put him as a very good at driving the lane now that he can finish with his left. Still he gets caught in the air and end up with turnover once or twice a game.

His left and threes has really allowed him to break down the defense. His jumping turnovers are frustrating, but unlike some that believe its an incurable problem..I hope that with experience, he'll make less of those "attack mode' mental mistakes.

Be gentle. I am here to learn.

#6 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Jeremy Lin ranks 1st on FG% on Drives http://t.co/2SooH4VHCG

Oh trust me I was pist when Houston made that offer and the Knicks never did. You even got his worst critic Stephen A Smith saying atleast 4 times in 1 week "I wish they had Jeremy Lin here".

#7 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 922 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Irony, pure and simple.

#8 rm90025

rm90025

• Members
                • Pip
                • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Few would believe without seeing the stats that Jeremy Lin is twice as good as Kyrie Irving as a scorer on drives to the basket.  It's a shame that the coaching staff doesn't make the development of the Harden-Lin partnership a priority.  

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 2,212 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

Few would believe without seeing the stats that Jeremy Lin is twice as good as Kyrie Irving as a scorer on drives to the basket.  It's a shame that the coaching staff doesn't make the development of the Harden-Lin partnership a priority.  

To what end exactly?  4 out of the top 5 line-ups which feature Lin also feature Harden and 8 out of the top 12.  That would be the majority of Lin's minutes.  This sounds like a statement made without much factual basis with the sole intent of putting Lin above the team.  In fact, most of this thread lacks a Rocket-centric focus. 

As for Kyrie Irving--kick a guy while he's down :lol:   I'm not sure what statistic was looked at, but I went with fg% on drives.

When running a filter of players averaging more than 28 mins/game you get 124 players.  Of those, Irving ranks 111th.  This makes the Lin comparison totally unimpressive despite the fact that he comes in 7th on that same list.  He is one spot behind Kyle Korver, but two spots ahead of Lebron James.  Miles Plumlee is #1 in the league....so while we can be happy for Jeremy let's not go crazy with what this is, or is not, telling us.  By the way, Harden and Parsons come in at 12th and 13th respectively--which is nice.  Houston has 3 of the top 13 players in fg% on drives.  Sounds like Moreyball to me!

#10 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,995 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

He is so good at attacking the weak side, this makes him a better fit with Harden than Beverley. I still like Lin coming off the bench but Lin should get more minutes than Beverley.

Edited by 2016Champions, 10 December 2013 - 10:43 PM.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#11 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,995 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

“It’s very important (to get Lin back),” said Rockets assistant coach Kelvin Sampson. “He’s a very important piece of our puzzle; he kind of solidifies our second unit. He plays well with our first unit but he’s also kind of the guy on our second unit who knows what we’re doing and can defend bigger guards and just gives us some toughness at that spot. We’re a lot better team when Jeremy’s out there.”

via Jason Freidman

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#12 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 67 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

I like Lin, and shooting over 60% at the rim is impressive for a guy who can't elevate in traffic and doesn't have a reliable floater.  But stats like that don't take into account that he has the perfect team for what he does.  On many of Lin's drives, Harden and Parsons forced the defense to spread out and Howard occupied the post defender giving Lin easy looks at the rim.  I'm sure Kyrie could shoot over 60% at the rim if he had that kind of help.  

#13 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,755 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

The team around him helps, of course. Kyrie would do better in this system, but he would NOT be an upgrade over Lin. First, he's ball dominant. He would not be a great fit with Harden. Second, he's a sieve on defense. Third, his own teammates have a problem with him(via Waiters), so I'm not sure he would thrive in the Rockets system.  Making the most out of your situation is what separates the good from the average and the great from the good. 

Why so Serious? :D

#14 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 67 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Woah there.  Kyrie would NOT be an upgrade over Lin?  Did I read that right?

Ball dominant and a sieve on defense.  Isn't there another 6'3" 200lb scoring PG who had the exact same knock him just a few months ago?  Stuff like that can be worked out.

Meanwhile, Kyrie is a lights out 3pt shooter unlike Lin.  Kyrie's struggled this year as his whole team situation has crumbled around him.  But I would like to see what he would do getting the same wide open looks that Lin gets.  

#15 Steven

Steven

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

@JeremyLintel: Jeremy Lin is Likely the Best Driver in the NBA http://t.co/3PTVPV78mT

Does he have the Progressive click into your dash thing? If not, then how can we be positive he even drives. Does ever NBA player have this technology, if so where do we find the data?

#16 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,755 posts
                        • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Of course, I factored in the decrease in minutes for Beverley and the loss of Lin which would make our bench weaker with no playmaker. Also we would give up 10-20 more points a game with Kyrie. Our offense is predicated on drive and kick, quick decision making. Kyrie likes to dominate the ball. If Harden wasn't atrocious defensively, Kyrie would be a big upgrade, but with Kyrie being that bad, I think Irving isn't an upgrade on our team. And that's discounting what it would take to get Kyrie in the first place. Of course, we could always change our system to a more conventional one if we were to get Kyrie. Kyrie is much more talented than Lin, but I'm not sure about the fit.

Why so Serious? :D

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 2,212 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

jeremy-lin-volvo-commercial.jpg

He doesn't just drive...he drives a Volvo...Sporty and sensible...like Jeremy :)

#18 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 99 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

Does he have the Progressive click into your dash thing? If not, then how can we be positive he even drives. Does ever NBA player have this technology, if so where do we find the data?

Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe talking about Lin and the stats mentioned are on SportsVu

http://stats.nba.com...erTracking.html

Edited by Knickabokkaz, 11 December 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#19 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

Rookie

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 99 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe on Lin at the December 3 podcast at the 14:18 mark

http://www.grantland...dcasts/_/page/2

Edited by Knickabokkaz, 11 December 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#20 CanSayNOTC

CanSayNOTC

• Members
                            • Pip
                            • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:16 AM

Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe on Lin at the December 3 podcast at the 14:18 mark

http://www.grantland...dcasts/_/page/2

ROFL.They talk about Rockets earlier than that! Start at 8! Get to Lin at 14  :lol:

Be gentle. I am here to learn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users