Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RollingWave : (13 December 2013 - 07:24 AM) so you know, be careful what you wish for when you blast McHale, whom at least seem to make adjustments over time
@  RollingWave : (13 December 2013 - 07:24 AM) Though I should generally note that last year when Sampson coached he also played the starters into the ground , it's just what he do
@  RollingWave : (13 December 2013 - 07:23 AM) all his hustle stats are down this year.
@  RollingWave : (13 December 2013 - 07:23 AM) See my new post on Bev, closer look seem to reveal playing him 30 min is a bad decision, you can start him, but you can't play him that many minutes
@  miketheodio : (13 December 2013 - 06:57 AM) def needed to include lin more. i also didnt get not putting dmo and brooks in.
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:51 AM) If they stay committed to the 3pt line it's easier to penetrate, but we weren't attacking enough
@  rm90025 : (13 December 2013 - 06:50 AM) Portland won b/c it committed to guarding the 3 pt line and keeping Houston off the line. The only time they didn't control the game was when Lin was on the floor with Harden, as Lin got to the line and made a few plays in just 15 min.
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:49 AM) He hustles but it's more eye candy than anything, it's not making a huge impact on the team's success.
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:48 AM) Finally, someone sane.
@  CanSayNOTC : (13 December 2013 - 06:45 AM) I'm seriously confused. I just don't see why Bev gets so much praise. I see his hustle, but other than that I don't get it. Honestly, I'm trying my best... I want to like him.
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:43 AM) lolol
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:43 AM) lol
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:42 AM) I think Morey is pretty high on Lin, so I wouldn't be shocked if Beverley gets traded.
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:40 AM) I agree, that's probably what Rudy is laughing about.
@  feelingsuper... : (13 December 2013 - 06:39 AM) I think maybe Rudy thinks all the Lin chatter is funny.
@  feelingsuper... : (13 December 2013 - 06:37 AM) They're not a finished product, it's a work in process.
@  miketheodio : (13 December 2013 - 06:35 AM) i dont understand how some nights the rockets look like a team and other it looks like a pick up game. they beat themselves way too much.
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:31 AM) You think it's funny our starters are exhausted?
@  RudyT1995 : (13 December 2013 - 06:29 AM) lolol
@  2016Champions : (13 December 2013 - 06:29 AM) Now our starters are exhausted

Photo

Is Thad Young really an upgrade?

47 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

New post: Is Thad Young really an upgrade?
    By: rahat huq

Marc Stein's latest is that the notion of Philadelphia as a viable destination for Omer Asik has been making the rounds.  Stein reports that this, in part, is due to the fact that Philadelphia could send back Thad Young to the Rockets.  Stein also adds that there is an increasing belief that the Rockets intend to deal Asik to the Eastern Conference leading me to intensify my own belief that the Rockets probably will end up holding onto Asik.

First, while Young at this stage certainly is an upgrade over sophomore forward Terrence Jones, I'm not sure he's enough of an upgrade to warrant trading the team's best remaining trade chip (and probably the best asset it will have to improve the team during the duration of the Dwight Howard-James Harden era.)  Adding Young to this lineup likely adds a win or two, but it also stunts and depreciates the value of Jones, nullifying any positive benefits gained if viewing this thing from the long-term.  Young also doesn't strike me as the type of asset that other teams would find enticing as part of a larger, later deal.

Jones has slipped of late from his torrid start, even being benched to start the second half against Phoenix.  But his emergence has removed desperation from the Asik equation.  Point being, if Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin are healthy, I'm not sure it makes sense to just trade Asik just to trade Asik.  (Lo and behold, Parsons' return to the lineup the other night correlated with a rebound-game from Jones.)  At this point, I still think your best bet is some sort of complicated three-way deal that brings back a lottery pick for Asik.  A much grander deal involving Lin as well could improve the team, but that would seem even more unlikely just because that sort of thing rarely happens.  (Think 'Mel0, Bosh.)

If Asik is dealt, I think it's for a lottery pick or in a blockbuster with Lin.  My money right now is on the team just holding onto him outright.  At this point in time, I don't see them dealing him for the likes of a Thad Young type.

#2 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,996 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

New post: Is Thad Young really an upgrade?
    By: rahat huq

Marc Stein's latest is that the notion of Philadelphia as a viable destination for Omer Asik has been making the rounds.  Stein reports that this, in part, is due to the fact that Philadelphia could send back Thad Young to the Rockets.  Stein also adds that there is an increasing belief that the Rockets intend to deal Asik to the Eastern Conference leading me to intensify my own belief that the Rockets probably will end up holding onto Asik.

First, while Young at this stage certainly is an upgrade over sophomore forward Terrence Jones, I'm not sure he's enough of an upgrade to warrant trading the team's best remaining trade chip (and probably the best asset it will have to improve the team during the duration of the Dwight Howard-James Harden era.)  Adding Young to this lineup likely adds a win or two, but it also stunts and depreciates the value of Jones, nullifying any positive benefits gained if viewing this thing from the long-term.  Young also doesn't strike me as the type of asset that other teams would find enticing as part of a larger, later deal.

Jones has slipped of late from his torrid start, even being benched to start the second half against Phoenix.  But his emergence has removed desperation from the Asik equation.  Point being, if Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin are healthy, I'm not sure it makes sense to just trade Asik just to trade Asik.  (Lo and behold, Parsons' return to the lineup the other night correlated with a rebound-game from Jones.)  At this point, I still think your best bet is some sort of complicated three-way deal that brings back a lottery pick for Asik.  A much grander deal involving Lin as well could improve the team, but that would seem even more unlikely just because that sort of thing rarely happens.  (Think 'Mel0, Bosh.)

If Asik is dealt, I think it's for a lottery pick or in a blockbuster with Lin.  My money right now is on the team just holding onto him outright.  At this point in time, I don't see them dealing him for the likes of a Thad Young type.

Took the words right out my mouth, I honestly agree with every word here. Months ago I wouldn't have agreed because it didn't hit me how much Asik helps us, and I had my doubts about Jones, but the picture is a lot clearer now. I do really like Thad as a player but Jones just seems like such a perfect fit.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,996 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

I want to add for everyone's knowledge that we can take back 150% of Asik's contact in a trade, which is around $12.5 million.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#4 glucagon

glucagon

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

I disagree, I think Young is a much better fit than Asik. I don't know if acquiring him is any knock on Jones though. I see Young coming in as a forward that can run with the second unit, that can offer more size, energy, and defense than say Casspi does. I don't think you can alter a starting lineup that is posting astronomic +/- like the jones parsons howard front court is. But Asik seems to increasingly show how poorly he fits with the composition of this roster. His inability to catch passes in traffic, finish consistently at the rim, run the floor with an iota of body control is becoming incredibly frustrating. He offers elite rim protection and excellent individual defense, yes. But are we sure we get that from him all season if he doesn't get moved? I don't think so...and I'm not sure Morey does either. I think they talked with Omer and convinced him that to trade him he needs to appear to play nice. He's playing to get moved. He wants those starter minutes, and he deserves them. I'd be thrilled to get either Milsapp or Young in exchange for him.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,162 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

NO.......Thad Young is NOT enough of an upgrade to warrant letting Asik go. while he isat this point a slightly better overall player than jones, he is much closer to his ceiling than T-Jones at a much more expensive price tag. I see Morey much more interested in the N.O. first round pick that Philly owns if they are talking to Philly. maybe something like a Hawes + N.O. first rounder for Asik + D-Mo. I think Morey is after K-Love and he is trying to build assets for that purpose

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 926 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Why would we get another PF and deplete our C position?

#7 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 787 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

If we send him to Philly I'd want hawes and turner.

#8 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 257 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Trying to be as unbiased and balanced as possible.  I made a similar suggestion a few weeks ago and am playing off the fact that the Cavs want to move waiters and supposedly like Turner so that being said.  How about http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=krs28q5 plus Memphis first round pick from Cleveland?

Rockets                           Cavs                               76ers

PG                Bev/Lin                       Irving/Jack                      MKW/Wroten

SG          Harden/Garcia             Karasev/Miles                  Waiters/Anderson  

SF         Parsons/Cassipi               Turner/Clark              Thompson/McGee

PF            Jones/DMo            Thompson/Bennett                Young/Allen

C           Howard/Varejo              Bynum/Hawes                     Asik/Orton

Rockets get back-up center + top 5 protected lottery guaranteed pick.

76ers get a defensive anchor, a young shooting guard and a SF (to make money work)

Cavs get Turner and Hawes to replace Varejo while maintaining cap flexibility for upcoming offseason.

Edited by pharmag, 08 December 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#9 thenit

thenit

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 345 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

It's a decent trade but no team would give up a top 5 lottery pick for Asik

#10 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 257 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

It's a decent trade but no team would give up a top 5 lottery pick for Asik

My bad...mis typed that.  Fixed it now.

#11 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,996 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

An upgrade I would welcome is Eric Bledsoe. I think people forget that he is going to be a free agent, and with out Asik we will have enough for a max contact.

#12 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,755 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

An upgrade I would welcome is Eric Bledsoe. I think people forget that he is going to be a free agent, and with out Asik we will have enough for a max contact.

Apart from him tearing his ACL and the Rockets being the only team willing to sign him to a 4 year max deal, there's NO way Bledseo becomes a Rocket.

That has as much chance happening as us getting Durant or Davis.

Why so Serious? :D

#13 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
                • 162 posts
                • LocationAbilene

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

Trying to be as unbiased and balanced as possible.  I made a similar suggestion a few weeks ago and am playing off the fact that the Cavs want to move waiters and supposedly like Turner so that being said.  How about http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=krs28q5 plus Memphis first round pick from Cleveland?

Rockets                           Cavs                               76ers

PG                Bev/Lin                       Irving/Jack                      MKW/Wroten

SG          Harden/Garcia             Karasev/Miles                  Waiters/Anderson  

SF         Parsons/Cassipi               Turner/Clark              Thompson/McGee

PF            Jones/DMo            Thompson/Bennett                Young/Allen

C           Howard/Varejo              Bynum/Hawes                     Asik/Orton

Rockets get back-up center + top 5 protected lottery guaranteed pick.

76ers get a defensive anchor, a young shooting guard and a SF (to make money work)

Cavs get Turner and Hawes to replace Varejo while maintaining cap flexibility for upcoming offseason.

I really like Varejao as a player, though his history of injuries is disconcerting. That pick might be worthwhile, especially considering Morey's track record in finding quality players in the draft. Most proposed Asik trades strike me as either severely over-rating Asik's trade value or severely undervaluing him. This one seems closer to a happy middle ground. I still don't know if I'd pull the trigger on it, but it's intriguing. 

Back to the original post, I think a trade for Thad Young might fall into the same category as a feasible trade that isn't too outlandish. With that said, I'm still questioning whether Morey wants to trade for a piece to add to this core to make a championship run, or if this trade is for an asset to be shipped off for a final piece.

All of that is on top of my belief that Asik will have way more value to the Rockets during the playoffs, when teams will try to get Howard in foul trouble early, especially if there's no capable backup available. I wouldn't put it past Morey to ride out this year with Asik to try to pry open the championship window a year early with two of the best interior defenders.

#14 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 179 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

I personally cannot think of a realistic trade for Asik that would bring equal value back to the Rockets. However, if Asik is dealt D-Mo will not be going anywhere. There is no better backup to Howard right now. I could possibly see Asik being traded at the deadline for picks, but only if Morey is comfortable with D-Mo as a backup, which may be doubtful. NBA teams are just not desperate enough right now to offer fair value. With Asik the Rockets could be fighting for a chip. Without?

#15 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 787 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

Pretty sure Bledsoe would be restricted.

#16 HazeWinkle

HazeWinkle

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

i would take thad young and spencer hawes for asik and a future 1st rounder or D-mo

Edited by HazeWinkle, 09 December 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#17 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 926 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

Now that would be a bad trade, young is just another PF to sit on our bench and we would not be able to resign hawes while demo is under contract for a few more years and improving. However why does Greg Smith get no love.

#18 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                        • 1,421 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:31 AM

Do any of you think Evan Turner would be possible?  I'd be all over that.  

#19 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPip
                          • 926 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

I don't know how he would get minutes or touches in our system. We have our rotation pretty set and he plays the same position as harden. Not to mention would we have the space to resign him.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • 3,162 posts
                            • Locationhouston

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

I like Turner..........I really do, but I think his numbers are inflated because he is a decent player on a bad team. besides I don't think he would be happy with a reserve role......hence we would have the same problem with him as Asik......he wants to start. I really don't see Turner coming here in trade. he doesn't help fill enough of the holes left by an Asik trade.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users