Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (04 December 2013 - 07:42 PM) Pop has the luxury of having Tim Duncan who makes Pop's job a lot easier, and he also has a longer leash with decision making because he has won championships.
@  feelingsuper... : (04 December 2013 - 01:20 PM) It's way too early for that kind of stuff. Way way too early.
@  rocketrick : (04 December 2013 - 05:20 AM) I don't ever remember Pop or Phil benching star players at the end of a close game
@  timetodienow... : (04 December 2013 - 01:23 AM) That's what Pop does. I think he's going to have to find ways to push their buttons like Pop and Phil do in order to win a chip.
@  rocketrick : (04 December 2013 - 12:45 AM) So Coach McHale should discipline Harden, D12 or both when they fail to follow the plan? Take them out of the game?
@  timetodienow... : (03 December 2013 - 11:09 PM) Who is that on? Mchale for not forcing the PnR or Dwight for refusing to do it? With Mchale's refusals to combat Harden's ISOs, I'd have to go with Mchale's lack of discipline.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 10:19 PM) The reason his percentages are down are because he's posting up more now, where as he was mainly a pick and roll guy in Orlando.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 10:18 PM) Dwight's numbers per 36 are actually about the same as his per 36 in Orlando, so his numbers aren't down as much as it looks on the surface.
@  Sir Thursday : (03 December 2013 - 11:39 AM) I think there is definitely something to the notion that Howard doesn't look like he has the same devastating explosiveness around the rim anymore. Probably still too early to come to any hard conclusions about whether he can still be an elite finisher there though.
@  jorgeaam : (03 December 2013 - 07:32 AM) Well, I think Dwight won't be posting 20-10 every night, but he should be able to finish more, I've seen him missing a lot of shots that he would have made in Orlando, I think it is more of a confidence issue with him, because in the Hakeem training videos he looked smooth.
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:11 AM) I do wonder if his finishing decline is a thing or a fluke
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:11 AM) he is getting a smaller % of touches, especially in terms of plays strickly ran for him, than he did in Oralndo
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:10 AM) FWIW, it is very unlikely for Dwight to really put up 20 per game points wise with our offensive system
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:09 AM) Meh, there's a good deal of things that points in the right direction for Dwight and some that aren't, let's see how it evens out towards later in the season
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 05:02 AM) espically if this team has a chance at being a top 4 team and make at least 60% from the free throw line.
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 05:01 AM) when you get paid what dwight gets paid Dwight needs to get 20-10 every game.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 04:54 AM) I'm perfectly happy with a 90% Dwight, we just need to run the PnR more
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 04:52 AM) How far is Dwight from his old self? Because some of those alley oops he caught were pretty impressive
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 04:17 AM) Dwight Howard where is your old self because lately you have shown the city of houston why alot of people think you are overrated and overpayed
@  jorgeaam : (03 December 2013 - 04:10 AM) Oh God, where's the D?

Photo

Dwight Howard overated and overpayed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HazeWinkle

HazeWinkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:36 AM

Houston spends a fortune on super defender and rebounder Howard,  so they can give up over 100 to every team in the league? lol. Overrated defender and below average on offense, but...Houston loves wasting money. Think they will ever figure out that the problem is McHale? Houston is defintly at this point not a contender.

#2 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 868 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

Are we allowed to block topics because I don't want this to be popping up in my forum. 

#3 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 868 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

I checked this guy's recent posts, I think he's an under covered laker invader, Be Warned. I'm trying to be nice. 

#4 HazeWinkle

HazeWinkle

• Members
        • Pip
        • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

have you watched the last few games and you think dwight howard is not overpayed and if i was a laker invader i would call him by his real name dwight coward 

Edited by HazeWinkle, 03 December 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#5 Steven

Steven

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,191 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

It's flipping December, no one even knows the NBA season starts until Christmas. If this is still a problem February and March then yes it's time to hit the panic button. But December, really?

#6 HazeWinkle

HazeWinkle

• Members
            • Pip
            • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:57 AM

yea i probably jumped the gun because it is december and i was a little upset that they got beat by one of the worst teams in the nba,  but for houston to  have any chance at winning it all he needs to average 20 -10 a game and dominate  

Edited by HazeWinkle, 03 December 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#7 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
              • Pip
              • 11 posts
              • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

It's too early to judge his value for this team. It's not easy to play in a new system with new teammates. Just give this guy some time to prove his value.

#8 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 868 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

You do realize how many scorers we have? We are not Orlando, all Dwight needs to do is rebound, defend, and be a low post option. That's it.

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,144 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

OVERRATED.......OVERPAID? this thread is overrated. do we have to hear this every time the Rockets lose a game? I could defend D-12, but that would lend credibility to your point. however consider me a DOF = Dwight only fan :lol: HOF = Harden only fan, POF = Parsons only fan, T-JOF = T-Jones only fan, BOF = Beverly only fan and Brooks only fan(two birds with one stone) as a matter of fact I love most of this team and will defend them with the passion of a LOF :lol: hold on let me put my Rocket colored glasses on :lol:   

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#10 HazeWinkle

HazeWinkle

• Members
                • Pip
                • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

@buckko you do realize that Orlando team would stomp this rocket team right and you want to know why because of that Howard not the Howard in Houston that is constantly getting outplayed by lesser talent and if my memory is correct that team in Orlando had some good shooters as well. Dwight Howard is doing only one of those things you mentioned in your post which is rebound and for the other two you mentioned  Howard is lousy at defending the pick and roll and hes also lousy at picking up his man that is outside the paint area and hes lousy in the post espically backing down defenders and he defers to harden way to much and Hes better at turning the ball over then he is at making  free throws . The only reason why im a critic of Howard is for 1 hes mentally soft 2 hes been in the league ten years and 3 he makes 80 million for four years.  

#11 PKM

PKM

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 102 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

have you watched the last few games and you think dwight howard is not overpayed and if i was a laker invader i would call him by his real name dwight coward 

Well, no need to pay attention if you want to talk about "Dwight Coward".

#12 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,729 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Dwight hasn't lived up to his contract, but it's still too early to write him off.

Why so Serious? :D

#13 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 1,395 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Houston spends a fortune on super defender and rebounder Howard, so they can give up over 100 to every team in the league? lol. Overrated defender and below average on offense, but...Houston loves wasting money. Think they will ever figure out that the problem is McHale? Houston is defintly at this point not a contender.[/size]

I understand you are new here and may not fully understand our forum but I advise you to avoid posting topics like this in the future. If you want to start a topic support it with advanced statistics and/or articles from respected news sources and then put forward an argument. The Forum members of Red94 are accustomed to a higher standard of discussion.

#14 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Over the past 12 games, the Rockets are surrendering nearly 103 points per game, which is not good. Oh, they are 9-3 in those 12 games, with key players missing significant time. The question is what happens if their defense actually improves?

#15 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 965 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

I would expect the Rockets to continue showing improvement on both ends of the court the longer this roster stays together and progressively learn to trust each other more. It takes a long time to develop that special chemistry. It never happens overnight.

I also don't want the Rockets peaking too soon and playing at their full capabilities at this point in the season because they will simply burn out and not be as effective in the most important time of the year, the playoffs.

#16 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,729 posts
                        • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Howard will get better as he learns the other players deficiencies. He'll learn that he'll have to help more on Hardens man than Lin's or Beverley's. And once Jones learns more about rotations and how to best utilize his athleticism, we will have a better defense. I like that we still have Asik. I think the strategy of going with Dwight or Asik depending on who's playing better that night will help keep Asik happy and Dwight healthy.

Why so Serious? :D

#17 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Apologise if this has been quoted in the forum prior (this is not a new article). And sorry to bring it up under such a terrible topic header, but this I think qualifies as quality material detailing some of Dwights evolution in ability.

http://www.grantland...a-finals-worthy

The article covers a lot of ground but the following extract is specific to Dwight. And unfortunately i think trying to be a "more refined" post option has actually hurt him. Along with a lot of offensive foul calls which appear to have hurt his confidence in going to more power post moves.

Watching the games i've had a chance to catch, I actually like how Dwight fits into the offense and defense more and more. The 3 lobs at Utah were simply from the guards adjusting to allow Dwights defender to get sucked into their motion before throwing the lob, with the necessary adjustment being slowing down their drive rather than speeding it up. That was awesome to see. I do admit I wished I saw a bit more resemblence to 2001 Shaq who used to just catch the ball, wait for defense to settle and completely overwhelm his defender ala peak Dwight, but hey, the rules changed a few times since so as long as Dwight can carve out a anchoring role, which is is doing well i think, this team is going to be good. I still feel off ball defense is where the team is really not well drilled. Along with some go to team offense in the 4th quarter.

Oh and I like how guys avoid Dwights long reach and get swatted by T Jones. I dunno about long term success but this team is fun to watch. This team is going to grow a lot this year, and hopefully get into a deep heartbreak situation in the playoffs that makes the team much much better after this offseason. Much easier to root for these guys who look like deecnt guys and have all faced some sort of adversity (Harden dumped, Howard dismissed, Parsons 2nd Round, Lin cut cut cut, Beverley from Russia, Brooks washed up at 28, Casspi buried in CLEVELAND!)

Dwight excerpt below.

"

Peak Dwight didn't have moves and countermoves as much as fluid explosions in every direction. He built his post arsenal on sweeping hook shots he could launch while dribbling toward the middle of the floor with either hand, from either block. If he caught the ball on the right block, he liked to face up, throw a shoulder fake toward the baseline, and then barrel into the lane for a lefty hook. But if defenders tracked him there, he could spin right back toward the baseline for a counterattack.

The spins were so fast in 2011 and 2012 that you couldn't even really tell it was a countermove. It looked like one continuous motion. The sheer velocity of it left defenders either hopelessly flat-footed, falling out of bounds, or trailing the play badly.

The combination of speed and power left guys so out of position, and so off-balance, that Dwight could often simply rise for a dunk as they fell out of the play.

That's the starkest difference: Howard used to dunk from the post. He has not made a single dunk this season on post-up tries. He likes to face up on the left block, drive baseline, and squeeze through the tiny space there before rising for a dunk. He used to blow by guys on that move, or get them backpedaling in such an off-balance panic that he could nudge them out of the way before rising up.

He still tries those baseline dunks. They just end in offensive fouls, or turnovers, or sad attempts at up-and-under moves as Howard tries increasingly more difficult tricks to avoid swatting arms that never used to be in his airspace. The countermoves are mechanical now. You can see Howard's brain working. I'm going for the hook. Now I stop. Now I gather my weight and pivot back the other way. Now I jump off two feet. He's showing his work, to us and his defenders. Those defenders can stay with him now, and they can see that work as it unfolds.

His old coach watches Howard now and sees the difference. "He's gotten a little older, and the back injury is there," Van Gundy says. "That will take away some of his quickness and mobility.

"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users