Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Rahat Huq : (23 October 2013 - 11:44 AM) they're fantastic
@  Dan G : (23 October 2013 - 09:49 AM) Hey Rahat, I've been watching the Rose/Simmons previews and good call man. It is some great stuff. I bet the Rockets will be coming up soon.
@  2016Champions : (21 October 2013 - 02:19 PM) Thanks Rahat
@  Rahat Huq : (21 October 2013 - 02:12 PM) thanks guys - i'll address your thoughts in that thread and open it up
@  bboley24 : (21 October 2013 - 05:42 AM) i've never had an issue on this board but dang... someone has really ticked red94 off
@  bboley24 : (21 October 2013 - 05:41 AM) yeah wow
@  2016Champions : (21 October 2013 - 02:23 AM) JG did a complete 180 with his new pinned post lol
@  2016Champions : (21 October 2013 - 02:22 AM) What happened to not walking on egg shells?
@  RollingWave : (19 October 2013 - 03:06 AM) T-rob still looks pretty lost in the Blazers pre-season
@  bboley24 : (19 October 2013 - 01:15 AM) Which signing?
@  Richards : (18 October 2013 - 07:10 PM) This signing is more interesting than others. Rookie, un-drafted, undersized, late in training camp,..
@  2016Champions : (18 October 2013 - 06:47 PM) No, because they have non-guaranteed contracts. Morey does this every year, it doesn't hurt to give them a chance to prove their worth before cutting them.
@  Richards : (18 October 2013 - 06:35 PM) piling assets for trade package?
@  2016Champions : (18 October 2013 - 06:28 PM) And Williams
@  2016Champions : (18 October 2013 - 06:28 PM) I bet Brewer will be gone
@  bboley24 : (18 October 2013 - 02:39 PM) We are still at like 25 players on the roster
@  bboley24 : (18 October 2013 - 02:39 PM) Is anyone getting a rose or what?
@  2016Champions : (17 October 2013 - 10:05 PM) Offensively Dwight has been calling for the ball too much, considering he shoots 80% on pick and rolls but only 44.5% on post ups, not to mention Harden eats defenses from breakfast if you set him a good screen. Hopefully McHale will really push the pick and roll after all this pre-season experimentation.
@  2016Champions : (17 October 2013 - 04:06 AM) I would like to see him sprint back every time but in the half court it's not even fair
@  2016Champions : (17 October 2013 - 04:04 AM) Dwights numbers don't do him justice, he is a one man defensive wrecking machine

Photo

Everyone Read This

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

• Moderators
  • 1,930 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

This is just a quick note from the moderators to everyone.

From time to time, we need to talk to individual members and we prefer to do this via Personal Message (PM) rather than on the forums.  This is useful for many reasons and it is a method we intend to stick to.  Unfortunately, we often find that our messages go unread, unnoticed, and are ultimately ignored.  This must end.

I understand that for the majority of members this post is not necessary, but for the rest please take heed.

As of the beginning of the Rockets' season (Oct. 30th) failure to respond to any messages from moderators in a timely manner will result in warning points (which, when accumulated, lead to bans).

(What's a "timely manner"?  I'm glad you asked.  If you continue to visit the site, post in threads, etc. after receiving the PM and do not reply to it then you have failed.  It's that simple!)

So, let me help you help us with a quick tour of how this works.

Please take a moment to note the upper right hand corner of the Red94 page.  There is an envelope icon that should be plainly visible (If you do not see this please let us know now because that excuse won't fly later).  When you have messages, a number will appear (displaying the number of messages you have) and it will be highlighted.  Please learn to make a habit of glancing at this area every time you visit the forums.  It takes less than a second to do this.

Also, just to the right of the envelope you will see your username with a drop down menu.  Click on the down arrow and find "My Settings".  After clicking that link, you will see a list of options in a column on the left.  Find "Notification Settings" and click that.  There, you can adjust what gets sent to you and what doesn't via e-mail.  Please double check that you are set up to receive e-mail notifications for any PM's you get.  In this way, even if you haven't been to the Red94 site the odds are you will be aware that your attention is needed here.  (This will also not be an acceptable excuse).

Please be especially aware of this if you find yourself posting something that is rude, condescending, out-of-line, jerky, or any other adjectives that describe violating our Guidelines & Policies as you will be receiving a PM very soon.

Once again, not responding to PM's from Mods ASAP will be seen as insubordination and will make any situation that much worse.  We will know.  Don't do it.

The alternative is the court of public opinion--I promise that we are much fairer and far more forgiving.

If anyone has questions, feel free to practice using the PM system and contact me. :)  Thanks for reading!

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thanks JG.

That may have seemed harsh but there's good reason for his frustration.  There have been a few instances of late where, after giving out a warning point for bad behavior, the mods have not been able to get in touch with the offender via PM.  This communication is vital b/c we don't want anyone to think they have been temporarily banned arbitrarily.  Those of you who have gotten a timeout already, I think, would agree that the mods have been pretty reasonable and fair.  If that's the case, that's with good reason - we have pretty thorough deliberation over each infraction before giving out a punishment.  But again, the purpose of the PM notice is so that members are kept in the know and not left assuming there is some bias against them or arbitrary process.  The mods try to open that communication so that the member can be rehabilitated and in most cases, those of you who have been banned have realized the mistake, apologized, and come back to contribute positively to the community.  So you can understand JG's frustrations when this communication is ignored.

Our goal with moderation is to instill some degree of order so that this can remain a place for intelligent discussion. My biggest fear is having this place devolve in the manner of most other internet forums out there.

At the same time, I realize that if everyone is walking on eggshells constantly, the fun is gone.  Hence Johnny's earlier thread.  This thread was not meant to negate that sentiment but was meant as a notice of the importance of checking PM's in the event you believe you've received/will receive a warning point.

I'm going to unlock this thread now for discussion because I'd like to get everyone's take on things.  Most of you have been around here long enough that you have some sort of ownership over the community and so I'd like your input into how things should go.  How do we loosen up without opening the floodgates completely?  Is there a better way to provide notice other than the PM?  

I'm open to any and all other suggestions, even those just about how we can improve the forum overall.  This might also be a good time for me to mention that we're looking for an additional moderator once the season begins.

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,549 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

I appreciate your input Rahat. I don't know anything about the events which led to this frustration, but if a PM answer is all the moderators were looking for I really don't see why they weren't getting one unless they were rude. I for one have experienced rudeness in the past from a certain moderator or two, and the thought of putting them on my ignore list certainly crossed my mind.

I think if all moderators were to speak to members with more respect then they would get more respect in return, it's a two way street, and moderators are supposed to lead by example--not control with fear. We're all Rockets fans here, so there really is no need to one Rockets fan to speak down to another Rockets fan just because of their forum status.

I hope that we can do more bonding and less arguing, especially with such a positive future ahead for us as Rockets fans! :)

Edited by 2016Champions, 21 October 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Debates are destructive as they present one-sided opinions and demolish reasoned arguments, whereas discussions are constructive and encourage the expression of opinion.

Debate is the death of conversation.

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,839 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

I think the PM system is fine just the way it is. I wouldn't see a reason or need to have an ignore on a moderator, especially multiple moderators. I have had several conversations with moderators and never experience rudeness from them. you have a good team. sometimes it's difficult for offenders to accept statements made by them crossed the line and no one wants to be chastised. by the moderators pointing out mistakes some think it to be a personal attack on them. when it's really only a call of attention to unacceptable behavior. if a member thinks so little for the need to keep respect protocol considerations and guild lines in place they should post their opinions somewhere else. looking at the right hand top portion of the screen is a small price to ask to keep the lines of communication open. I could go on in regards to the subject, but I think you get my drift :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,549 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

To add to what RBF said, yes you have a fantastic team of moderators. I hope they don't think that I don't appreciate everything they do because I do and I hope they realize that.

It's just that I have already received a couple of warnings from the moderators and now they are very quick to find things I say offensive when that wasn't my intention, it's like I've been put on a very short leash and it's not very comfortable--in other words I'm walking on eggshells. Please take the eggshells away! lol

I just want to end this post on a good note by reiterating my appreciation for the moderators, their passion for maintaining the high standards of Red94 is contagious and I thank them for that, I hope that they continue to use that passion in a positive way leading by example. We are all a product of our enviroment, so thank you Rahat, JD, FSS, and Blakecousy, for creating such a great environment for Rockets fans.

There are a few other guys at Red94 who I look up to and would like to thank: John Eby, Sir Thursday, and Michael Pina. Sorry if I missed anyone. I appreciate the high standards of Red94 and the members who continue to raise the bar with their great contributions to this forum. This forum would be chaos without you guys.

Thank You,

2016Champions.

Debates are destructive as they present one-sided opinions and demolish reasoned arguments, whereas discussions are constructive and encourage the expression of opinion.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

• Moderators
    • 1,930 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hello everybody :)

I was not expecting this kind of reaction.  I wrote this most recent post in a stern manner not out of frustration; rather, I wanted it to make an impression (mission accomplished!).  Any inference that this is some emotionally charged literary assault by a power-crazed moderator can be put to rest.  I can tell you, there is no feeling of power being a moderator--it's more like being a janitor.  You get to see behind a few closed doors, but mostly you spend your time dealing with other people's crap.  :)

Like I said above, I knew that most members did not need to read this and it was not directed at them (hence they should take no offense).  In future posts I will dial it back some--this one felt like it needed a heavy hand.  Just so everyone knows the moderating team has collectively decided to post threads like this once a month or so to address whatever issues are current and relevant.  Last month's post about Eggshells was a product of one member's poor sense of humor.  Since then, there have been multiple issues regarding the PM system and moderating--hence the post.  Next month?  Who knows?  Each will have it's own theme and feel depending on the topic.

As far as eggshells go--let's keep some focus on context guys.  The eggshells post was written specifically to address the right and wrong way to approach humor (and for those who don't remember, the sub-text was racism).  Everyone is still accountable for their words and actions around here.  Being disrespectful is never acceptable and has nothing to do with being worried about saying/doing something wrong--they're separate things.

Sorry for the strong words--hope no one felt overly accosted by them.  Also, I appreciate the feedback and am glad you all spoke up.  What else is a forum for?  Also, there is one of you out there who still needs to check their inbox and reply to me.  :P

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,839 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

:lol:  :lol: JG I was think about looking into that last moderator position until you laid out that job description :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

• Moderators
    • 1,930 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

:lol:  :lol: JG I was think about looking into that last moderator position until you laid out that job description :lol:

Yeah, it's not a glamour job--that's for sure....but don't let that stop you!

#9 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,549 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

I definitely like you better when you're light hearted JG, please don't change lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users