Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Richards : (29 September 2013 - 08:06 PM) Saw a video with Dream tutoring D-Mo. D-Mo looks better than Harden in post move. But compare to Dream. What a slow motion with frames lock-up..
@  Rahat Huq : (29 September 2013 - 04:52 PM) it's amazing how fluid he still looks, even compared to some of the best players in the league
@  Richards : (29 September 2013 - 01:42 AM) Saw video of Dream teaching Harden post move. Dream still has much much smother move than Harden. Awesome!!!
@  DrewinAbilene : (28 September 2013 - 01:14 AM) Boom! Callin' it: Western Conference Finals after beating the Spurs handily.
@  feelingsuper... : (27 September 2013 - 05:08 PM) Rockets ranked #6 in Stein's Training Camp edition of NBA Power Rankings. http://espn.go.com/n...ar/2014/week/-1
@  thejohnnygold : (26 September 2013 - 01:53 PM) Camp starts Sept. 28th
@  bboley24 : (25 September 2013 - 11:40 PM) MAN I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SEASON TO START!!! When is camp starting???
@  RollingWave : (24 September 2013 - 07:29 AM) yeah, twitter is probably best in the side bar format like on the frontpage
@  Rahat Huq : (24 September 2013 - 02:13 AM) No problem, guys. Thought it was worth the test but it ended up being more annoying than anything.
@  bboley24 : (24 September 2013 - 12:32 AM) Yes that was quite annoying... good test run though
@  2016Champions : (23 September 2013 - 06:03 PM) Thank You!
@  Rahat Huq : (22 September 2013 - 09:54 PM) Tweets have been disabled from this area.
@  RocketsTweets : (22 September 2013 - 05:59 PM) Tweet(@ dmorey): Sneak peek of new Rockets locker room http://t.co/099fZFR3zW
@  RocketsTweets : (22 September 2013 - 05:01 PM) Tweet(@ dmorey): Will wait for us to win a real one RT @DHYLNP: @dmorey @ChandlerParsons Print a Larry O'Brien trophy?
@  RocketsTweets : (22 September 2013 - 04:35 PM) Tweet(@ dmorey): My 1st 3D printing projects. Anyone have Rockets thingie's? Daughter wants me 2make @chandlerparsons action figure http://t.co/fMwlMWiO8J
@  Rahat Huq : (21 September 2013 - 06:23 PM) I agree. I'm going to take the Tweets out.
@  timetodienow... : (21 September 2013 - 06:22 PM) Rahat, I think if you put a twitter feed on the side of the page, it would be better. Me, personally, I just don't bother scrolling down to try and find somebody to respond to. I like the twitter idea, but the combination didn't work.
@  feelingsuper... : (21 September 2013 - 04:15 PM) Really just not much going on is there?
@  2016Champions : (21 September 2013 - 05:13 AM) I can't speak for everyone, but the tweets have been the reason I don't use the shoutbox anymore.
@  Rahat Huq : (21 September 2013 - 02:22 AM) Ah ok.

Photo

STATE OF THE UNION

season outlook

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

it's here..........finally. the kickoff of training camp was today and I could not be more pumped for a Rocket's season than I am at this moment. it seems all the stars are lining up for a possible championship run. here on the eve of training camp, I thought it appropriate to take a look at the roster changes and outlook for the training camp battles that will commence and the overall outlook for this coming season. I will start with the position battles and get  into the outlook of the team later.

Center..........D-12 is our center. plain and simple. he appears to be entering the year fully healthy for the first time in awhile. by the standard he set already in the league....he had a down year last year in LA for him. yet he still average almost 18 ppg and 13 rpg. he is a BEAST. throw all the faults you want at him, but there are still at least 28 teams in the league who would like nothing more than to have him as their starting center over and above their present arrangement. listening to his interviews on press day left me with the feeling he is healthy, focused and eager to return to greatness. Asik was our center last year and a darn good one I might add. the rumbling of trade rumors have cast a bit of doubt on his status with the team. clearly one of the top 7 centers in the league, he has expressed doubt about his ability to coexist with D-12. huge question marks remain. can he play with Howard? if not, will he be satisfied in a reserve role? will his situation become a distraction for the team? how ever this plays out has great importance for the Rockets ability to contend this year. the rest of the center position consist of Camby, G-Smith and Henriquez. Henriquez is toast, bound for the D-league. both Camby and Smith have minor injuries starting camp, but nothing that should keep them out for long. Camby was bought here as insurance and may not see much floor time depending on how the Asik situation works itself out. G-Smith could see some time at PF, but most likely to see the vast majority of his minutes at center. he is in the last year of his rookie deal so likely to end up in a trade

Power Forward.........there are more questions than answers at this position. is T-Jones and D-Mo ready to handle the position on a nightly basis? will Asik or Howard play minutes here and if so how many? is a trade necessary to upgrade the position? how effective can small ball lineups be with Parsons, Casspi or Covington playing the position? how does G-Smith look next to D-12?  training camp will have to iron some of this out. while I expect T-Jones and D-Mo to be able to handle the position, they must earn that right. of all the positions in camp this will be the greatest battle. while all lineups will see some amount of time the one that fairs the best will become the staple of the Rockets plan of attack this year. that's why this battle must be closely watched..........it will lead to a style of play.

Small Forward........Parsons is entrenched as the starter. coming into his 3rd year he is looking poised for another great year. his recent statements on wanting to get back to playing good defense like in his rookie year is encouraging. interesting to see if he will reach even greater heights this year......he looks ready for the task at hand. Garcia as of now appears to be the frontrunner for the backup minutes at both SF and SG having earned a chance due to his play in the playoffs last year. however there are some good players  poised to challenge him for playing time. Casspi, Covington and Brewer will all get their looks, but will be hard pressed to unseat Garcia IMO.

Shooting Guard........THE BEARD is entrenched here and rightfully so. there was debate recently on whether he deserves to be in the top ten players in the game...........YES.... he does. however the biggest drawback in his game was slacking off at the defensive end. he too has vowed to improve this area.....even going so far as to say he would gladly accept the responsibility of guarding the opposing teams best wing player. while I wouldn't go quite that far......just holding up his end of defensive responsibilities out front would be a welcomed start. backup minutes at this position will be slim. may be 13-15 minutes a game and they will be hotly contested. again Garcia is the frontrunner, but Williams, Brewer, BJ Young and on occasion either Lin, Beverly or Brooks will all vie for these few minutes......should be an interesting battle. Young is likely toast, but lets see how he looks. Williams has a chance to make the team, but he must be impressive

Point Guard.........Lin is the starter as of now. while his last year was a disappointment for many he is still young and full of potential. whether he is able to tap into that potential is debatable, but he does seem to show the work ethic, drive and basketball IQ to at least garner hope. second here is Beverly..........while there has been some debate on whether he is a better fit in the offense than Lin, at worse he will push Lin for  minutes at the position. Brooks and Canaan round out the position, but neither is expected to receive time here unless a trade or injury causes time to open up. Canaan is likely to see his share of time in the d-league. the real battle is Lin and Beverly......if Lin loses he will probably be traded IMO

THE TEAM.........the Rockets have19 players on the training camp roster, but can only carry 15 into the season. I expect Young, Henriquez, Williams and either Covington or Brewer to be released unless a trade is worked out prior to the season. the battle between Covington and Brewer looks to be of great interest. Covington seems a little ahead to me at this point, but who knows? the Rockets are stacked at every position. minor shout out for Morey here.....considering the talent on this roster it's amazing that we are only a couple of million above the cap. he has built not only a great team, but one that is sustainable. not an easy task. he has already said he doesn't consider the Rockets a finished product, which probably means we will see another trade soon. depending how some of the camp battles go will give him a good feeling for what the next move should be, but for now lets study what we have because there is so many story lines that can affect the way the final roster looks it's hard to call at this point

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#2 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

The most important thing right now will be, how to use Asik. The final decision on him will have the biggest impact on the list of our final roster list IMO.

LOF here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users