Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (17 June 2013 - 05:26 AM) I had a feeling Ginobili would regress to the mean.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:33 AM) Now I had no idea Ginobli was gonna pull a Wade and turn back the clock. I give Pop the majority of the credit for that.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:32 AM) I don't think it was too ballsy on San Antonio's part. With the way Splitter has been playing and since Miami has started Miller the last two games, I thought it was inevitable that Ginobli would start.
@  RollingWave : (17 June 2013 - 02:57 AM) I must say that both team had some serious ballsy lineup changes this series, Ginobilli start? and dominate?
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 09:26 PM) According to Dr. Klapper, treatment for Parker's hamstring will only last one half. Lateral movement and jumping will be a problem.
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 04:56 AM) Parker said Pop was very angry with him for the constant nagging insisting he can play, Pop really didn't want Parker to play. Just goes to show Pop knows best.
@  RollingWave : (16 June 2013 - 04:28 AM) Parker says his hamstring is almost shot , that would probably doom the Spurs if he can't play at least 80%
@  2016Champions : (15 June 2013 - 12:38 AM) Miami is 6-0 in playoffs following losses (outscoring opponents by 20.7 PPG in those games). They've won 12 straight games following losses.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:50 PM) The Heat are notoriously slow starters. Once they get going it's like a snowball effect, they get more dangerous as they go along.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:49 PM) My heart says SA, but my mind says MIA
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 11:06 AM) Anybody else going to San Antone for Game 5??
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 10:15 AM) The Heat is doomed / the Spurs is doom , repeat until game 7
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 06:28 AM) Now that Wade's knee doesn't seem to be bothering him anymore, Spurs are in trouble.
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 06:26 AM) Mark Twain once was quoted--Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Not sure that motivates the Heat but food for thought for whatever that is worth!
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:43 AM) What happened to Parker that second half? Hamstring caught up to him?
@  Ostrow : (14 June 2013 - 03:57 AM) Has Manu had any good playoff games?
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 03:50 AM) G4 was very interesting, both teams making big adjustments, but I think at the end of the day Wade's rejuvenation / dead cat bounce versus Manu 's continued suck is the difference
@  RollingWave : (13 June 2013 - 08:49 AM) @rocketrick lol good one. I honestly don't know what happens now, I was expecting Spurs to win G3 but not by THAT much
@  rocketrick : (12 June 2013 - 10:55 AM) I can't wait for Game 5 after the Heat burn the Spurs on Thursday night
@  RollingWave : (12 June 2013 - 06:52 AM) The amazing thing is this 2nd rounder and undrafted guy played like super stars while the best player ever an another sure fired HOF guy played like junk

Photo

T-Mac - I can't forget

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bboley24

bboley24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Seeing his smile after last game had me in tears.  Call me emotional but he gave his all to this city and I see people posting comments all over the place about how disappointing his career is.  Maybe they weren't in the stands in Houston.  No rings but alot of memories.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 1,482 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

I never developed a big emotional attachment to McGrady--part of that is due to being in Austin and not being able to see as many games as I would have liked.  I certainly admired and respected his abilities and was saddened that we, as fans, were robbed of this due to his injuries.  I think it's cool that he has gotten a chance to contribute--no matter how little--to a championship and to play in the finals.  Who knows, before it's over he might get to knock down a game-winning three!

#3 mdrowe007

mdrowe007

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Emotional attachments aren't bad things, all told.

I certainly have had a longstanging emotional attachment to Tracy McGrady. I never thought of him as disingenuous or malevolent, even as his body was betraying him and he failed to win playoff games and series. I think if we check with the official stat-keeper, the playoff series losses McGardy participated in as a Houston Rocket were scored only against him and not the team.

I have always wished the best for him, personally. You talk to enough people in the Houston area, though, and what you're likely to get in regards to Tracy McGrady's well-being is something akin to a voodoo curse or a contract kill, or maybe a happy medium.

I tend to understand that, by and large. Fandom tends to create an interesting sort of dichotomy between "good will toward men" and "crush-their-skulls-like-an-egg-and-suck-out-the-yoke" that I've learned to appreciate, to a certain extent.

In McGrady's case, perhaps his most memorable skill was in routinely drawing out the absolute worst possible opinion of himself by practically everyone who knew him in Houston. To do something like that consistently takes more skill and nerve than I've ever seen.

As for McGrady playing in the championship round after a star-crossed career, all I can say is this: "Deserves got nothin' to do with it."

But McGrady deserves the opportunity as much as anyone, I suppose.

Except maybe Satan. I've never really been sure how those Satanic pacts work exactly...

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 1,861 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

I am torn on T-mac. the guy played his heart out under VanGundy. he gave us some good memories. that comeback against san Antonio with like 8 points in 13 seconds was a jewel. I hate to remember how his career ended here in Houston. both he and Yao never got to fulfill the potential of what they might have become. which I thought was going to be special. just goes to show how injuries can derail a career. I only wish T-mac the best. I hope san Antonio win so T-mac can get a ring even if it was just because he was hanging on to superman's cape :rolleyes:

#5 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 717 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

13 in 35 seconds, wasn't it?

Why so Serious? :D

#6 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 2,062 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Was my favorite player. I wish he got back surgery right away instead of being a tough guy about it. 

Don't be too quick to assume you're right and the experts are wrong. 

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 1,861 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

13 in 35 seconds, wasn't it?

you may be right.......it was incredible though

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,108 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

My favorite Rocket of all-time.  (I only watched the tail end of Hakeem's career '94 onward so doesn't count.)

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
        • 1,482 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

It's in the original post--the video titled "13 points in 33 seconds". :ph34r:

#10 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 514 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Watching Dream take his team to the title in back to back years, plus seeing the improvement in Dream from year to year, by far Dream is my favorite Rockets player of all time. Unlike a number of divas currently making mega millions in the NBA, Draam found ways to improve his game in the summer months.

T-Mac, there were times he was amazing and I was proud to be a Rockets fans. And other times where he just frustrated me to death. I think I actually enjoyed watching Yao improve from season to season more than watching T-Mac those last 3 years they played together in Houston.

I'm sure even T-Mac would acknowledge that if the Spurs win it all this season that T-Mac had absolutely nothing to do with that. I'm not so sure he would be wanting to show off that ring very much as he would have no story to tell on his contribution to making that happen.

#11 Chichos

Chichos

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

Tmac was amazing when he first came here.  That video above proves that.  I actually watched that game  and immediately called my friends to tell them how the Rockets were going to win it all for years to come.  Even if it never happened I remember how excited I was while he wore Rockets red.  It wasn't until his last season that he didn't make you believe we had a shot at a championship. 

Honestly Tmac is the only reason I want the Spurs to win.  Even if it will be a Juwon Howard ring.

#12 bboley24

bboley24

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 108 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Rowe is spot on.  Fans are so high strung sometimes.  Either all about the legend of stars or pounds on their legacy because it didn't pan out the way they had planned.  Does that mean once the heat lose this series that Miami should be disappointed?  They got a ring out of it didn't they?

#13 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 514 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

It's a tragedy that T-Mac and Yao only played together for a total of 14 playoff games, finishing 6-8 and losing to Dallas in the 2005 first round series and to Utah in the 2008 first round series. The Rockets were up 2-0 vs. Dallas with the next 2 games at home and somehow managed to find a way to lose the series. The Rockets had home court advantage and game 7 at Toyota Center vs. the Utah Jazz and couldn't get it done (and shortly thereafter Jeff Van Gundy was replaced). It didn't help that the Rockets were very limited in who they could sign as bench players during those years, too, as Carroll Dawson left the Rockets with some pretty bad contracts on the books.

#14 Dan G

Dan G

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 104 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

Whenever I'm down and feeling blue, I go back and watch that clip and it cheers me up every time. I didn't like how T-Mac ended his stint here but it is what is it. He did give us some stellar years and if we had a chance to go back and do it all over again, I would most definitely choose to do it again.

#15 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 906 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

I am like you rocketrick which we talked about already. I came up on the Twin Towers and Akeem (Hakeem) is my favorite NBA player of all time. Saying that I do like to hear the stories of those before me and after, just as I like to hear my uncle talk about Chamberlain, Moses and Kareem I like to hear you younger guys talk about Tracy. I guess hearing others' stories helps put the tradition of NBA greats in perspective.

The 2013 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League Champion

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 1,861 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

I am like you rocketrick which we talked about already. I came up on the Twin Towers and Akeem (Hakeem) is my favorite NBA player of all time. Saying that I do like to hear the stories of those before me and after, just as I like to hear my uncle talk about Chamberlain, Moses and Kareem I like to hear you younger guys talk about Tracy. I guess hearing others' stories helps put the tradition of NBA greats in perspective.

I saw chamberlain, moses and kareem.....but Dream..........when you look in the dictionary under warrior there is a picture of dream. dream spoiled me. I like the others, but dream will always be my favorite player of all time. I have been watching the rockets since they came to this city and he is the best we have ever had. he dragged us kicking and screaming to the championship and for that no one will ever replace him to me

#17 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 774 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

I saw chamberlain, moses and kareem.....but Dream..........when you look in the dictionary under warrior there is a picture of dream. dream spoiled me. I like the others, but dream will always be my favorite player of all time. I have been watching the rockets since they came to this city and he is the best we have ever had. he dragged us kicking and screaming to the championship and for that no one will ever replace him to me

You must be like 10000 years old. They Rockets arrived in 1916 didn't they? ;)

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 1,861 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

You must be like 10000 years old. They Rockets arrived in 1916 didn't they? ;)

:lol:  :lol: believe it or not I was a kid long ago :lol: but your know I wouldn't trade the journey for nothing

my young apprentice I have trained jedi for over 800 years :lol: I should know who is qualified to be a jedi :lol:

Edited by rockets best fan, 16 June 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#19 Heredia

Heredia

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

I grew up watching T-Mac and Yao and it always bummed me out that he never fulfilled his potential in the playoffs. At least we have this young team that I love. I can't wait for next season. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users