Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  blakecouey : (07 May 2013 - 03:10 AM) Going to miss Sampson.  Everything Ive heard/read/seen say hes a great coach.
@  RollingWave : (07 May 2013 - 02:54 AM) Our D, at least in half court, was very sound, the transition part though... eeek.
@  2016Champions : (07 May 2013 - 02:50 AM) Sampson was the mastermind behind our underrated defense.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 02:30 AM) We all knew Morey put together the team and McHale/Sampson coached the players. Sampson was a mastermind behind coaching.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 02:08 AM) You got a right to your opinion but seems like Morey is the brains to me, thought that was obvious with the offensive scheme and all that. Rockets coaching is about leadership at this point which McHale possesses in spades.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 02:04 AM) Well, by reading what players said throughout the season, Sampson seems to be the brain behind Rockets basketball.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 01:52 AM) Of course he stays, what do you mean by that question? It is a strange question since what assistants do would never effect a head coach that way.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 12:51 AM) Will McHale stay if Sampson got coaching job at another team?
@  RollingWave : (05 May 2013 - 09:37 AM) Irving still need to work on a few things (most notably defense), his performance considering his age is great.
@  Dan G : (04 May 2013 - 06:50 AM) Damn..who knew tonight was gonna be close out the series night? Four Games 6s and four closeouts.
@  feelingsuper... : (04 May 2013 - 06:28 AM) Whatever comes the next few seasons (barring injuries) it will be hard to match the unadulterated excitement we had watching these young Rockets this past year, it was definitely some kind of roller coaster ride...
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:36 AM) Irving will be nasty good when LBJ will return to Cleveland as the lost son
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:36 AM) good night everyone, have a great summer and I won't be posting until july 1st. Still a proud rocket
@  LMAOwais : (04 May 2013 - 04:35 AM) i really do hate the prospect of mulling over every little piece of FA news this summer, but life of  fan I guess.
@  2016Champions : (04 May 2013 - 04:35 AM) Watch out for Irving though, that kid is shockingly good for someone who just turned 21. I wonder who will be the better player in 2 years.
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:34 AM) so small margins
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:34 AM) Overall a good season though didn't expect to get this far, but its always hard when you get your hopes up, imagine if that ball KD shot in game 3 didn't fall
@  2016Champions : (04 May 2013 - 04:33 AM) Yeah in 2 years Harden is top 10 for sure, hopefully top 5.
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:33 AM) I wish we could fastforward to july 2nd and know what happened during Free agency
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:32 AM) those 10 I named I take over Harden TODAY, but in 2 Years, LBJ and KD are the only 2 I would pick over, maybe Westbrook and George

Photo

What is the greatest thing that happened this year for the Rockets?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
  • 816 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

This could definitely be taken in a few different directions.

The 2013 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League Champion

#2 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

Harden got the flu and we won in OKC :D

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

I think Game 5 has to be the pinnacle of the year, right? The fact that the team was in a position to even give the faintest of hopes that we could win this series was a huge achievement.

ST

#4 bboley24

bboley24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

BEST:  We got rid of Cole Aldrich and Omer Asik learned how to dunk.

WORST:  We had to play Cole Aldrich twice and Omer Asik never learned how to catch.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,174 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

This was a tough decision....I think learning what it takes to play defense with focus and intensity, and an edge (that playoff level) and seeing what it can do for the team.  I know that our half-court sets were very good, but that had everything to do with asik manning the middle for us.  In the OKC series, I saw our guys really go after the opposing team and do it pretty effectively.  I think we easily find ourselves in the top 15 next year and possibly the top ten in total defense.  I'd love to see Houston play with that kind of effort on defense every game.  I think we will have the depth (presuming we don't trade it away) to do so.

#6 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 630 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

The greatest thing that happened this year was the acquisition of Harden from Sam Presti for chicken scraps. The second is Morey using the loophole inside the CBA to get a adequate PG and a ++ defensive C away from teams that truely wanted to keep said players.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 1,324 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

The greatest thing that happened this year was the acquisition of Harden from Sam Presti for chicken scraps. The second is Morey using the loophole inside the CBA to get a adequate PG and a ++ defensive C away from teams that truely wanted to keep said players.

I agree........the activity of morey last off season is what set us up for the year. at the time of the harden trade I loved it, but still hated giving up that raptor 1st round pick. that pick right now is 12...........in a weak draft + our pick we lose for this year is 18.....that softens the blow. there are about 20 teams in the league who would love to be in our shoes right now

#8 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 1,394 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

I still remember how happy I was when we got Harden. He was actually my favorite player before we got him, I thought I was dreaming. 

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#9 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
      • 816 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

I agree 2016Champions. I was very happy the Rockets got Harden and then I got even happier when he lit up the Hawks in that second game of the season.

#10 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 965 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

I'd say Game 5 was the best part of the year.  A close 2nd was the work of Morey.  From Harden to T-Rob to Beverly our GM has outplayed every other GM out there this year.

Have a Twitter? Post your info here and have it added to gain more followers and faster Rockets and Red94 news.
        http://www.red94.net...ic/310-twitter/

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

I think for me, either Game 5, or the first 2 games of the season.  Probably the first 2 games of the season.  With all the recent criticism of Harden of late, it's easy to forget, but it was pretty surreal at the time that we actually had a superstar in Houston again.

#12 miketheodio

miketheodio

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

I think for me, either Game 5, or the first 2 games of the season.  Probably the first 2 games of the season.  With all the recent criticism of Harden of late, it's easy to forget, but it was pretty surreal at the time that we actually had a superstar in Houston again.

this. i was so happy with the trade, but did not expect those types of performances.

#13 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Moderators
            • 342 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

Gotta be Harden. Nothing else that happened this year would have happened without him.  Guys we brought in would not have been as good without him.

#14 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
              • 816 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

Perhaps the greatest pinnacle is Game 5 (or rather the second half of Game 3 through the third quarter of Game 6) for the Rockets this year.

But for the greatest thing that happened this year I agree with you Ostrow, it was the acquisition of James Harden followed closely by the successful implementation of the fast paced read and react offensive style with a focus on shots behind the arc and in the paint. That coaches and players buying into that scheme and making it work I believe is a close second if not intertwined with Harden's arrival on the scene.

#15 Chichos

Chichos

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 121 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Seconded, I think after the second game I immediately got on here and posted about how this team would go as far as Harden would take them.  Which was to an entertaining 1st round series.

#16 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 445 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

best part of the season is how bright our future looks for the time being.  thanks in large part to harden but also thanks to parsons and cap space!

#17 Paradise

Paradise

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

The best thing about this season is just surpassing all expectations. I thought we might be able to battle for a playoff spot, but to actually make it and put OKC on their toes was amazing. Great development from Parsons and Asik this year. Harden becoming a true star even though I wish he'd quit with his no look passes that result in turnovers, and his constant Hero ball. But! Overall a great performance from him this year. Role players really leaving their mark this season as well.

I'm a little disappointed in Lin. At some points in the season he showed flashes of being our PG of the future and showing us that we've got the best backcourt. Then there were times where he didn't show that. I assume that can be expected from him needing the ball in his hands and we already have a ball dominant guard. I hope we solve those problems in the Offseason.

Overall, just a great year. Can't wait for this offseason to see if we make some good moves. 

#18 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 479 posts
                  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

The greatest accomplishment is a sum of all the above mentioned. This was a fun ride, and for that to happen, first Morey had to work some magic (and in some cases, take advantage of stupid or desperate GM). The team overachieved, and that's because of Morey, McHale, Harden, Asik, Parsons and everyone in the organization. Next offseason should be an easier task for Morey, right now we have to fill some voids and if we are lucky enough, land another star. Whether we do it or not, we will be better next season and that certainty is the most enjoyable thing about this season. We have a core assembled, with the capacity of getting much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users