Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RollingWave : (19 June 2013 - 05:12 AM) so the head band is like a final power seal for Lebron, only open in absolute need
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:51 AM) Ray Allen, why not. This is going to be 5.2 intense seconds of ball.
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:39 AM) Holy crap, that Parker 3.
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:38 AM) Please let there be a game 7, and let this be the margin in the 4Q of 7. Awesome.
@  RollingWave : (19 June 2013 - 03:18 AM) oh my, this is an epic game .. one more run by Duncan should....
@  2016Champions : (17 June 2013 - 05:26 AM) I had a feeling Ginobili would regress to the mean.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:33 AM) Now I had no idea Ginobli was gonna pull a Wade and turn back the clock. I give Pop the majority of the credit for that.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:32 AM) I don't think it was too ballsy on San Antonio's part. With the way Splitter has been playing and since Miami has started Miller the last two games, I thought it was inevitable that Ginobli would start.
@  RollingWave : (17 June 2013 - 02:57 AM) I must say that both team had some serious ballsy lineup changes this series, Ginobilli start? and dominate?
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 09:26 PM) According to Dr. Klapper, treatment for Parker's hamstring will only last one half. Lateral movement and jumping will be a problem.
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 04:56 AM) Parker said Pop was very angry with him for the constant nagging insisting he can play, Pop really didn't want Parker to play. Just goes to show Pop knows best.
@  RollingWave : (16 June 2013 - 04:28 AM) Parker says his hamstring is almost shot , that would probably doom the Spurs if he can't play at least 80%
@  2016Champions : (15 June 2013 - 12:38 AM) Miami is 6-0 in playoffs following losses (outscoring opponents by 20.7 PPG in those games). They've won 12 straight games following losses.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:50 PM) The Heat are notoriously slow starters. Once they get going it's like a snowball effect, they get more dangerous as they go along.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:49 PM) My heart says SA, but my mind says MIA
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 11:06 AM) Anybody else going to San Antone for Game 5??
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 10:15 AM) The Heat is doomed / the Spurs is doom , repeat until game 7
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 06:28 AM) Now that Wade's knee doesn't seem to be bothering him anymore, Spurs are in trouble.
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 06:26 AM) Mark Twain once was quoted--Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Not sure that motivates the Heat but food for thought for whatever that is worth!
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:43 AM) What happened to Parker that second half? Hamstring caught up to him?

Photo

Dwight Howard Ejection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
245 replies to this topic

#1 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 988 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

Purely speculation here, but does howards ejection(via his second technical of game 4) imply that he wont return as a Laker next season? To me it does. Something about how it happened just reeks of him wanting out, wanting to finish the dreadful season theyve had.
    Have a Twitter? Post your info here and have it added to gain more followers and faster Rockets and Red94 news.
    http://www.red94.net...ic/310-twitter/

#2 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,072 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

Kobe will probably take him out to paint the town red and he will be all smiles again. 

Don't be too quick to assume you're right and the experts are wrong. 

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

#3 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
    • 988 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

I don't really see that happening.  I think he will see that the Lakers are going nowhere and decide to leave.  Kobe will miss a good bit of the season next year, if not all of it, and the rest of the Laker contract situation keeps them from making any moves to get help.  If Dwight see it as a dead end as he should, I see him signing elsewhere.

Have a Twitter? Post your info here and have it added to gain more followers and faster Rockets and Red94 news.

#4 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 410 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

I don't know if it means anything, he gets T'd up all the time and who wouldn't be frustrated with Morris and goudelouck as your starting guards in a series you're gettin killed in.

#5 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 170 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

Many variables at play here, but at the end of the day it takes a lot to turn down a extra 20+ million and playing for a brand name team.

IMHO, Pau is much more likely to be gone than Howard, they need someone for the future too, and Howard's the only guy on that team who's even remotely young.

#6 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
          • 988 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

But even if they find a trade partner for Pau(likely getting junk in return), they're still up against the cap and can't do anything more.  How is that going to help make them a contender?  Kobe will still be out, Nash will still be old, Artest will still be overpaid, and their role players will still be average.  Money is the ONLY thing he cares about if he stays, as that isn't a recipe for a title run.

#7 LashtonBryth

LashtonBryth

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

Most of the columnists I've read expect Howard to stay.  They say he loves LA the city.  He's young enough that even if he gave up the extra year, he'd make the money back on the next contract, but with his back issues, he also might decide he needs to get every dollar he can get while he can.  Houston would certainly be a better situation for him on the court and in the locker room, but Howard seems like the kind of guy that would care about his perceived failures if he "bailed" on the NBA's most popular franchise.  

#8 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 170 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

But even if they find a trade partner for Pau(likely getting junk in return), they're still up against the cap and can't do anything more.  How is that going to help make them a contender?  Kobe will still be out, Nash will still be old, Artest will still be overpaid, and their role players will still be average.  Money is the ONLY thing he cares about if he stays, as that isn't a recipe for a title run.

yeah, that's the problem. But then again, you really think he doesn't care about the money?  by the later 3 years of the contract the Laker's cap situation would have returned to normal and they could rebuild the team anyway.

I must reconsider now that Kobe's mostly gone for the next year, in that case holding on the Pau makes some sense. though the 4 of them together is awful combo, they need a stretch 4 or play someone who can remotely defend the point (aka not Steve Nash).  I figure Pau was at least more tradable than Nash though maybe not, since Nash might help a middle team without a proper PG a little, even in a bench role. But then if they keep MDA I don't see how they trade away his favorite player either.

So yeah.. it's a mess right now, but I still see enough incentives for Howard to stay.  As Morey showed finding good role players with no money isn't actually THAT hard, the Lakers don't have much of a track record in doing so though. if they had a Beverly + Smith combo or something they'd be pretty damn good.

#9 miketheodio

miketheodio

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 132 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

i think the lakers will get blown up in the off season. dwight wont be back. new GM, possibly phil jackson. kobe amnestied. ownership transfered to phils wife btw. magic seems to be displeased with howard and he seems like he has some influence.

#10 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 170 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:58 AM

i think the lakers will get blown up in the off season. dwight wont be back. new GM, possibly phil jackson. kobe amnestied. ownership transfered to phils wife btw. magic seems to be displeased with howard and he seems like he has some influence.

You'll probably score less than 1/3 of that.  The Lakers blowing it up seems about as likely as the Yankees doing it.

#11 Stephen

Stephen

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 281 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

There are a couple of Gasol trades to be made.

But even if not,here's a couple ways LA could retool:

Blake to Boston for Courtney Lee. Lee has surprisingly not been a good fit in Boston,Blake gets Boston out of Lee's contract and they need a back-up PG,plus Boston saves $1mil,plus the Lax on that amount. LA gets a guard who is not only a good friend of Dwights,but actually plays D and shoots 3s. Lee can guard PGs and Nash can be hid elsewhere. When Kobe comes back,prob w/lesser mobility,a transition to SF is in order.

Duhon and some protected Second during Draft for Hinrich. Duhon is only guaranteed $1.5mil if released before June 30. Chicago saves $2.5mil,big for them. LA gets back-up PG who can also play SG,giving depth and Hinrich only has one yr left on contract.

Buy late First,early Second and draft Glen Rice Jr of RGV.

End up something like:

Nash,Lee,Kobe(or Artest/Clarke if Kobe out),Gasol,Dwight

Hinrich,Goudelock/Morris,Rice,Artest/Clarke/Jamison,Hill

Morris/Goudelock,cheap wing,Jamison,Sacre

The Lakers got a lot younger and quicker and only added Lee,possibly Rice and Goudelock and maybe Clark to their 2014 Cap,still leaving enough for a Max contract.

#12 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 410 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

Chicago loves Hinrich they aren't gonna trade him or Duhon.

#13 miketheodio

miketheodio

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 132 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

You'll probably score less than 1/3 of that.  The Lakers blowing it up seems about as likely as the Yankees doing it.

doubt they are going to keep a bunch of old players with big contracts. they need to rebuild and you can't do it with old dudes. they should be heavily disappointed with howard, maybe to the point of not signing with him.

#14 Stephen

Stephen

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 281 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

Mike,

Chicago loved Asik too.

LA isn't blowing it up this Summer. They have a ton of Cap room in 2014,that's when they do their rebuild.(Junior Buss is convinced he can get LeBron-rather unlikely,but it's what he believes.)

If they blow it up this yr they lose all the "it team" factor to the Clips. They won't amnesty Kobe because the fans will turn on them and if Kobe goes to the Clips...

More to the point,they can't rebuild by amnestying Kobe and letting Dwight walk. They'd be stuck w/Gasol,Artest,Nash,Hill,Blake,@ $18mil in Cap space-and no 2013,2015 or 2017 Firsts. The only difference is they'll go into 2014 w/whatever FA they signed(Iggy,Josh Smith) and Nash instead of Nash and Dwight.

#15 miketheodio

miketheodio

Advanced Member

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 132 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

Mike,
                              Chicago loved Asik too.
                              LA isn't blowing it up this Summer. They have a ton of Cap room in 2014,that's when they do their rebuild.(Junior Buss is convinced he can get LeBron-rather unlikely,but it's what he believes.)
                              If they blow it up this yr they lose all the "it team" factor to the Clips. They won't amnesty Kobe because the fans will turn on them and if Kobe goes to the Clips...
                              More to the point,they can't rebuild by amnestying Kobe and letting Dwight walk. They'd be stuck w/Gasol,Artest,Nash,Hill,Blake,@ $18mil in Cap space-and no 2013,2015 or 2017 Firsts. The only difference is they'll go into 2014 w/whatever FA they signed(Iggy,Josh Smith) and Nash instead of Nash and Dwight.

i think kobe might be done. he's not going to be ready to play till well into the season. i dont think kobe wants to do that on a team that can't compete.

you may be right, but they aren't going to win next year either. might as well get a jump start. this off season will be crazier than you think.

#16 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 170 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Theoretically they might be able to find takers for Pau and Nash I guess, (mostly just cap space dump). but really, it's the Lakers, they're not going to go for a 40-50M payroll and intentionally tank to a 20 win season or anything, that's like saying the Yankees should just let Jeter and Cano go and release / trade  A-rod after the season, that's just not gonna happen.

#17 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
                                • PipPipPip
                                • 717 posts
                                • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

The ONLY way the Lakers are contenders next year is if they re-sign Dwight and amnesty Kobe. Trade Pau without taking any onerous contracts back. Sign Josh Smith, OJ Mayo, and a few other role players.

This is a tall order and won't happen, but that's the only realistic way I see this shaking out in a positive light for the Lakers.

Why so Serious? :D

#18 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
                                • PipPipPip
                                • 138 posts
                                • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

The Lakers are pretty much going to keep Pau, just so they can get the cap hit outta the way for 2014.  That was their saving grace - they over spend in 2013, but Kobe and Pau are coming off the books.  If they don't amnesty Kobe, next year will be worse than this one.  Kobe won't go anywhere - who would want him now? - and they can fill in until he comes back in 2014 for a farewell tour.  On the cheap.

The ONLY way they get LeBron is if there is a realistic chance they go to the Finals that year.  Without D12, I don't see that happening.  I think they have to decide what they want - D12 or D'Antoni.  Dwight did not look good in that system, so a coaching change may be necessary, regardless of what they are saying now.

With Buss Jr's big head, there is no way they get Phil back unless Jr relinquishes complete control to Jeannie.  Which ain't happening anytime soon.

#19 quatin

quatin

• Members
                                • PipPip
                                • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Everyone seemed to forget the Lakers were riddled with injuries this year. Their current roster is still pretty good if everyone is healthy. The Lakers in the last half of the season was 28-14, which is more indicative of what the team is capable of. If I was a Laker fan, I would want to stay put for another year. It would be stupid to mess up the cap space for 2014.

#20 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
                                  • PipPipPip
                                  • 138 posts
                                  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

That's their big question - who is going to stay healthy?  Kobe is not going to be the same when he comes back - that's pretty much a guarantee.  Nash is getting pretty long in the tooth - when was the last time he was really healthy for an extended period?  MWP and Gasol are both at the borderline point where athletes start losing a step (or 3).  And Jamison is already there.  Signing D12 will be a nice transition piece when they do blow it up in 2014-15, but will he be happy at that point?  We know what happens when he isn't happy (as evidenced by the past couple of years).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users