Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RollingWave : (19 June 2013 - 05:12 AM) so the head band is like a final power seal for Lebron, only open in absolute need
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:51 AM) Ray Allen, why not. This is going to be 5.2 intense seconds of ball.
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:39 AM) Holy crap, that Parker 3.
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:38 AM) Please let there be a game 7, and let this be the margin in the 4Q of 7. Awesome.
@  RollingWave : (19 June 2013 - 03:18 AM) oh my, this is an epic game .. one more run by Duncan should....
@  2016Champions : (17 June 2013 - 05:26 AM) I had a feeling Ginobili would regress to the mean.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:33 AM) Now I had no idea Ginobli was gonna pull a Wade and turn back the clock. I give Pop the majority of the credit for that.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:32 AM) I don't think it was too ballsy on San Antonio's part. With the way Splitter has been playing and since Miami has started Miller the last two games, I thought it was inevitable that Ginobli would start.
@  RollingWave : (17 June 2013 - 02:57 AM) I must say that both team had some serious ballsy lineup changes this series, Ginobilli start? and dominate?
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 09:26 PM) According to Dr. Klapper, treatment for Parker's hamstring will only last one half. Lateral movement and jumping will be a problem.
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 04:56 AM) Parker said Pop was very angry with him for the constant nagging insisting he can play, Pop really didn't want Parker to play. Just goes to show Pop knows best.
@  RollingWave : (16 June 2013 - 04:28 AM) Parker says his hamstring is almost shot , that would probably doom the Spurs if he can't play at least 80%
@  2016Champions : (15 June 2013 - 12:38 AM) Miami is 6-0 in playoffs following losses (outscoring opponents by 20.7 PPG in those games). They've won 12 straight games following losses.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:50 PM) The Heat are notoriously slow starters. Once they get going it's like a snowball effect, they get more dangerous as they go along.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:49 PM) My heart says SA, but my mind says MIA
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 11:06 AM) Anybody else going to San Antone for Game 5??
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 10:15 AM) The Heat is doomed / the Spurs is doom , repeat until game 7
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 06:28 AM) Now that Wade's knee doesn't seem to be bothering him anymore, Spurs are in trouble.
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 06:26 AM) Mark Twain once was quoted--Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Not sure that motivates the Heat but food for thought for whatever that is worth!
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:43 AM) What happened to Parker that second half? Hamstring caught up to him?

Photo

Chandler Parsons

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

I know everybody is focused on the playoffs and the latest on the Westbrook injury.

I just wanted to get everybody thoughts on Chandler Parsons and his future. I am not going to lie, I have a tendency to fall in love with D.Morey's picks like Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks, and now Patrick Beverly.

I would to keep him, but I have a feeling he is just trade bait for a future move. Asik and Parsons are the only real pieces that could bring something good in return. 

What do you think is his long term future?

Are we a great team if he is our third best player? 

What is his ceiling? A poor man's Manu? 

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 1,487 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Chandler Parsons will be to the Rockets what Craig Biggio was to the Astros.... B)

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,066 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Rumors are that everyone in management are head over heels for this kid, he is absolutely going to get PAID when the time comes. 

Don't be too quick to assume you're right and the experts are wrong. 

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

#4 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

I know the DM and his crew love Parsons but I feel like nobody on the roster is untouchable except Harden. 

Are we a contending team if he is our third best player?

If we get Howard, our core would be (I really think it is a great possibility, LA is a mess right now)

Harden, Howard, Parsons

Is that good enough?

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
      • 1,487 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

No, that is not good enough.  We'd be playing 3 on 5.  :P

Your question is really vague.  The answer is yes, Parsons is very good.  There is a lot to consider like what the rest of the roster looks like, how our talent develops, etc.

Ask the question this way: Do you think the Rockets are better off with Parsons, or without him?  Easy answer.

#6 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 410 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

I don't see a situation where we trade parsons and get better.

#7 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 2,066 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think just a healthy Dwight and Harden is a championship core, we're talking about two top 10 potentially top 5 players here, and all we need is decent role players around that core. Parsons is definately a decent role-player, he's not untouchable but I would rather trade Lin than trade Parsons.

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
        • 1,487 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I would rank Parsons above decent role player for sure.  Last night he posted a solid 21, 7 and 7 with a steal and a block on 8-12 from the field.

That's close to a James harden stat line...without all the missed shots.  For that matter, the same could be said for Josh Smith (although his shooting woes aren't nearly as bad as Harden's).

I'd say that puts him in some elite company.

On a side note, this is another reason I really like the idea of acquiring Josh Smith--Imagine having the equivalent of two Chandler Parsons on the floor--one a better outside shooter and one a better interior finisher.  Both good rebounders, passers, and defenders.  Imagine the pick and rolls they could run together or inside-out game.....mmmmmm, easy baskets....

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,862 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

I think just a healthy Dwight and Harden is a championship core, we're talking about two top 10 potentially top 5 players here, and all we need is decent role players around that core. Parsons is definately a decent role-player, he's not untouchable but I would rather trade Lin than trade Parsons.

agreed d-12 and harden spell contender

No, that is not good enough.  We'd be playing 3 on 5.  :P

Your question is really vague.  The answer is yes, Parsons is very good.  There is a lot to consider like what the rest of the roster looks like, how our talent develops, etc.

Ask the question this way: Do you think the Rockets are better off with Parsons, or without him?  Easy answer.

if parsons is a necessary piece for a star.....we may be better without him. however I would like to keep him around

#10 LashtonBryth

LashtonBryth

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 28 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Chandler Parsons is a really good player on both ends that is improving.  He is a great cutter, great on the break, and solid from the 3 point line.  He does struggle a bit when he tries to create his own shot.  Defensively he is good and very versatile, able to guard most guards and wing players.  The best thing about him is his contract that runs for another 2 years after this one at a very cheap price.  The problem is he will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of that contract, and will obviously command quite a bit on the open market, so depending on what the Rockets do with their cap space over the next couple of years, they might not be able to afford him.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 1,862 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Chandler Parsons is a really good player on both ends that is improving.  He is a great cutter, great on the break, and solid from the 3 point line.  He does struggle a bit when he tries to create his own shot.  Defensively he is good and very versatile, able to guard most guards and wing players.  The best thing about him is his contract that runs for another 2 years after this one at a very cheap price.  The problem is he will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of that contract, and will obviously command quite a bit on the open market, so depending on what the Rockets do with their cap space over the next couple of years, they might not be able to afford him.

not true....parsons will be a restricted FA when his contract runs out. the rockets will have the right to match any offer he recieves

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
          • 1,487 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

I agree RBF, in the last year of his contract, depending on how he has progressed, it may be the right call to trade him if it can net us a star.  Re-signing him will not be cheap as he appears to be the kind of player many teams covet.  I'd love to keep him, but it may not be in the cards.

#13 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 2,066 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

We can resign him, deal with luxury tax for a couple of years if we're contenders, and then trade him for a very nice haul. 

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
          • 1,487 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

It doesn't seem far-fetched to project him averaging 20 pts, 8 rebs, and 4 asts by the end of his contract....that's pretty solid stuff.  That's good enough to possibly get a max contract offer....would we match that????

#15 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 410 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

If we are winning and he's putting up those numbers Id think they would have to match and find somewhere else to save money.

#16 LashtonBryth

LashtonBryth

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 28 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

In December 2011, the Rockets signed Parsons to a four-year, $3,629,500 contract (using a sliver of remaining salary cap room they had at the time).  Like the contracts previously given to Jermaine Taylor and Chase Budinger, Parsons agreed to bind himself to the team for four years in exchange for an increased salary in the first year ($850,000 instead of the league minimum of $473,604) and second year ($888,250 instead of the league minimum $762,195), both of which are fully guaranteed.

However, Parsons seems to have had a better agent than either Taylor or Budinger.

Whereas Taylor and Budinger agreed to give the Rockets fully non-guaranteed Years 3 and 4 (together with a team option on Year 4), Parsons and his agent negotiated for additional financial security.  By Parsons having not been waived by the Rockets before January 1, 2013, Parsons’s salary for the 2013-14 season ($926,500) became partially guaranteed for $600,000; and if Parsons is not waived by June 30, 2013, his 2013-14 salary becomes fully guaranteed.  Furthermore, if the Rockets do not waive Parsons by January 1, 2014, his salary for the 2014-15 season ($964,750) becomes partially guaranteed for $624,771 (the same percentage partial guarantee as in Year 3); and if Parsons is not waived by June 30, 2014, his 2014-15 salary becomes fully guaranteed.

The key bit of new information relating to the Parsons contract?

It also has a team option on Year 4.

This means that, despite having already guaranteed Parsons $624,771 for the 2014-15 season, the Rockets have the right to decline their team option, essentially “eat” that money, and make Parsons a restricted free agent.  If the Rockets instead exercise that team option, then when his contract expires in 2015, Parsons will be an unrestricted free agent.

If the Rockets decline their team option on Year 4, Chandler becomes a restricted free agent.  If they keep him that extra year for the small salary, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.  Should be interesting to see if they want to lock him up after next year or would rather keep him around for an extra year at a really low price and then let him walk.

Edit:  the information on this post comes from a much longer post on the Clutch forums that is worth a read:  http://rockets.clutc...tract-take-two/

#17 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 2,066 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

My bet is lock him up after next year. 

#18 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 410 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Even if he is an unrestricted free agent Houston can still resign him with bird rights and its not like parsons hates Houston and will leave no matter what.

#19 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 2,066 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

I think we're too classy of an organization to do that to Parsons when we don't really have a good reason to (I see us using our cap space this year rather than saving it for next year). He deserves to get paid asap, and I think he will. 

#20 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 201 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

It doesn't seem far-fetched to project him averaging 20 pts, 8 rebs, and 4 asts by the end of his contract....that's pretty solid stuff.  That's good enough to possibly get a max contract offer....would we match that????

I think its a litte far fetched that he will average 20 pts, 8 rebs and 4 assists. There are nine players averaging 20 points a game this season.

There are two duos that has over 20 and thats Wade, LBJ and Russ KD. Those 4 are elite players and efficient. Thats the only reason you can get to those high points consistently and taking the majority of the shots for a team with decent %.

Also with Harden taking about 20 shots a game it will be hard for parsons to reach those numbers, he will ahve those games when he gets 30 etc. Realistically he coud average about 17. 7 3 something in that range. Getting 20ppg is hard and to have 2 players to do it in your team you basically has to be an elite offensive player, which I can't see Parsons being.

He brings more than just points, but if anyone offers max for Parsons no way we should match that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users