Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RollingWave : (09 May 2013 - 10:01 AM) The west is such a brutal conference though, I mean if the Heat was in the West, it's probably at least a 30% chance they don't make it to the finals either. almost everything is good enough that if enough things lineup right for a brief stretch your done.
@  2016Champions : (09 May 2013 - 04:35 AM) I've been saying ppl need to stop sleeping on the Spurs, but if they lose this series I'm going into deep slumber on them. Like Demolition Man cryonically frozen slumber.
@  blakecouey : (09 May 2013 - 03:31 AM) Well Hack-A-Bogut is going to get the Spurs back into this game.  They should've been put away, big shots falling again tonight.
@  blakecouey : (09 May 2013 - 02:55 AM) I don't know if he realizes it, but they're the same age whether they win or lose.
@  blakecouey : (09 May 2013 - 02:55 AM) "If/when these guys win tonight we cant no longer call these guys young" - Shaq on The Warriors.
@  pharmag : (07 May 2013 - 10:17 PM) @2016, that is too true!  Of course it helps that South Beach, LA, and NYC teams have their cap room tied up for forseeable future (barring a D12 or CP3 bailing)
@  2016Champions : (07 May 2013 - 02:59 PM) I feel like we're becoming one of the most desired destinations now too, our organization is moving on up!
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 01:09 PM) That is a good sign when other organizations cherry pick your staff. I think the culture and system that the Rockets have put in place and begun to develop in the end will be far more important than any coach.
@  blakecouey : (07 May 2013 - 03:10 AM) Going to miss Sampson.  Everything Ive heard/read/seen say hes a great coach.
@  RollingWave : (07 May 2013 - 02:54 AM) Our D, at least in half court, was very sound, the transition part though... eeek.
@  2016Champions : (07 May 2013 - 02:50 AM) Sampson was the mastermind behind our underrated defense.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 02:30 AM) We all knew Morey put together the team and McHale/Sampson coached the players. Sampson was a mastermind behind coaching.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 02:08 AM) You got a right to your opinion but seems like Morey is the brains to me, thought that was obvious with the offensive scheme and all that. Rockets coaching is about leadership at this point which McHale possesses in spades.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 02:04 AM) Well, by reading what players said throughout the season, Sampson seems to be the brain behind Rockets basketball.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 01:52 AM) Of course he stays, what do you mean by that question? It is a strange question since what assistants do would never effect a head coach that way.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 12:51 AM) Will McHale stay if Sampson got coaching job at another team?
@  RollingWave : (05 May 2013 - 09:37 AM) Irving still need to work on a few things (most notably defense), his performance considering his age is great.
@  Dan G : (04 May 2013 - 06:50 AM) Damn..who knew tonight was gonna be close out the series night? Four Games 6s and four closeouts.
@  feelingsuper... : (04 May 2013 - 06:28 AM) Whatever comes the next few seasons (barring injuries) it will be hard to match the unadulterated excitement we had watching these young Rockets this past year, it was definitely some kind of roller coaster ride...
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:36 AM) Irving will be nasty good when LBJ will return to Cleveland as the lost son

Photo

How far are we away from being contenders?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

He is a legitimate DPOY candidate. And is going to get either 1st or 2nd team all NBA. He's nowhere near washed up. He's no longer the best player in the league, but he's still elite. And yes, the Spurs have a chance. They always have a chance. Are they the favorites? No, but don't mistake that for not having a chance.

I never said he is washed up. Perhaps you should read my previous post more carefully. Stick a fork in the Spurs as a team though, they're done (in terms of being contenders). The next NBA Champions from Texas will be Red Nation.

#22 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I must admit some bias though. I despise the Spurs. Just never liked them as a team at all. Don't like the coach and don't like any of the players. Also, Im sick of them being better than us. It's time for the Rockets to reign supreme in the loan star state! (I also hate Dirk and the Mavs). So although I do truly believe my above statements I also recognize my bias due to this.

#23 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 646 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Don't question my basketball knowledge, that is rude and disrespectful.

It's also a legit question when you say that Duncan should retire, unless you were being facetious which does not read to well over the net.

#24 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

It's also a legit question when you say that Duncan should retire, unless you were being facetious which does not read to well over the net.

No, I am being serious. Read my post which explains why (nothing to prove, already greatest PF ever, multiple titles). Why not relax and enjoy his accomplishments?

#25 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 1,424 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

He's having the best season he has in years and won 58 games, why should he retire? 

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#26 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 646 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

Because he needs one for the thumb.

#27 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
            • 821 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Lets keep it friendly guys, thanks. No need for snide remarks and of course to judge someone by comments made on a forum is probably not a wise choice, stay on topic. It is never personal here. We are all Rockets fans here and members of Red94 where we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

The 2013 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League Champion

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 1,201 posts
            • LocationAustin

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

The Spurs will be contenders until Duncan retires or his legs fall off.  They've been so good for so long.  So many good players currently on other teams couldn't stick around in SA because there's too much talent.  It's like their bench is its' own D-League :) .

#29 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 1,424 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

Someone said this the other day which I thought was a good way to put it: Some people are meatlovers, some people are vegetarians, people don't always agree and that's life. 

Personally the way I see it is: it's a discussion forum, not an argument forum. Share your perspective and try to see things from other perspectives too, "A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open", and once you're done sharing just move on. 

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#30 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 646 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

Someone said this the other day which I thought was a good way to put it: Some people are meatlovers, some people are vegetarians, people don't always agree and that's life.

Personally the way I see it is: it's a discussion forum, not an argument forum. Share your perspective and try to see things from other perspectives too, "A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open", and once you're done sharing just move on.

Vegetarians are stupid. Carnivores have eyes in front of their heads while herbivores have their eyes on the side of their head. They are going against the evolution they love so much.

#31 Heredia

Heredia

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

I think we should do almost anything to acquire Kevin Love. I just read Bill Simmon's article about him, he says the Wolves might be looking to shop him this summer if the deal is right. Either way, I believe Morey will do the right thing, he hasn't let me down yet. 

#32 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 345 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'd say one star and more depth or two stars.

#33 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 1,424 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

I think we should do almost anything to acquire Kevin Love. I just read Bill Simmon's article about him, he says the Wolves might be looking to shop him this summer if the deal is right. Either way, I believe Morey will do the right thing, he hasn't let me down yet. 

I agree with this. I have heard rumors than Love wants to sign with L.A. but at the end of the days it's not Love's decision, and I think we can put together a much, MUCH, better package than the Lakers can. The only decision Love has is whether or not he wants to resign.

#34 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 178 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

Love would be the perfect fit, decent defender, great rebounder, spread 4. I rather take him than D12 to be honest. Asik is a great value and I think he will get better with his hands with some off season work.

If we can somehow get Love, we are a couple of rotation players away from contending. We need a bc guard and C. Also a SF if we don't exercise the player options on Garcia or Delfino

#35 PKM

PKM

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 75 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

I must admit some bias though. I despise the Spurs. Just never liked them as a team at all. Don't like the coach and don't like any of the players. Also, Im sick of them being better than us. It's time for the Rockets to reign supreme in the loan star state! (I also hate Dirk and the Mavs). So although I do truly believe my above statements I also recognize my bias due to this.

I take the opposite - San Antonio's easily my second favorite team, and I frankly didn't want to face the Spurs for that reason.  I'm also a huge Duncan fan and openly commit the Rocket blasphemy of arguing that he's better than Dream. While San Antonio certainly aren't the favorites, I don't know how you can say they have no chance.  I wouldn't say that even of the Clippers. 

#36 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 567 posts
                      • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

PKM, I somewhat agree. With one more ring, he jumps up to third all time on my list behind Jordan and Kareem. Right now, I have him 6th.

Why so Serious? :D

#37 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 1,424 posts
                      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

Duncan is definitely top 10 all-time, and today he is still a top 20 player in this league which is incredible. Parker is a top 10 player today too, and a healthy Ginobili is a top 20 player. On top of that they have a very nice cast of role players. Saying they don't have a chance just makes no sense to me. 

#38 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 567 posts
                      • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

I'm actually rooting for the spurs (though not against the rockets). I guess I consider myself a Texas sports fan. Since Texas is the best state. Except A&M. I hate those guys

Why so Serious? :D

#39 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Moderators
                      • 344 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

In terms of trades, the Lakers literally have NOTHING in terms of trade value. I Know Kahn is bad, but what is he going to do trade Love for Artest Earl Clark and Steve Blake? Love may want to be traded there, but it is impossible unless Kahn somehow thinks Gasol is enough for love, which while he is bad, can he be that bad??

#40 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 1,424 posts
                        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Idk, according to Morey he offered a much better package than what the Lakers offered Orlando for Dwight. I don't know how they do it, but the Lakers seem to have incredible powers of persuasion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users