Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RollingWave : (09 May 2013 - 10:01 AM) The west is such a brutal conference though, I mean if the Heat was in the West, it's probably at least a 30% chance they don't make it to the finals either. almost everything is good enough that if enough things lineup right for a brief stretch your done.
@  2016Champions : (09 May 2013 - 04:35 AM) I've been saying ppl need to stop sleeping on the Spurs, but if they lose this series I'm going into deep slumber on them. Like Demolition Man cryonically frozen slumber.
@  blakecouey : (09 May 2013 - 03:31 AM) Well Hack-A-Bogut is going to get the Spurs back into this game.  They should've been put away, big shots falling again tonight.
@  blakecouey : (09 May 2013 - 02:55 AM) I don't know if he realizes it, but they're the same age whether they win or lose.
@  blakecouey : (09 May 2013 - 02:55 AM) "If/when these guys win tonight we cant no longer call these guys young" - Shaq on The Warriors.
@  pharmag : (07 May 2013 - 10:17 PM) @2016, that is too true!  Of course it helps that South Beach, LA, and NYC teams have their cap room tied up for forseeable future (barring a D12 or CP3 bailing)
@  2016Champions : (07 May 2013 - 02:59 PM) I feel like we're becoming one of the most desired destinations now too, our organization is moving on up!
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 01:09 PM) That is a good sign when other organizations cherry pick your staff. I think the culture and system that the Rockets have put in place and begun to develop in the end will be far more important than any coach.
@  blakecouey : (07 May 2013 - 03:10 AM) Going to miss Sampson.  Everything Ive heard/read/seen say hes a great coach.
@  RollingWave : (07 May 2013 - 02:54 AM) Our D, at least in half court, was very sound, the transition part though... eeek.
@  2016Champions : (07 May 2013 - 02:50 AM) Sampson was the mastermind behind our underrated defense.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 02:30 AM) We all knew Morey put together the team and McHale/Sampson coached the players. Sampson was a mastermind behind coaching.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 02:08 AM) You got a right to your opinion but seems like Morey is the brains to me, thought that was obvious with the offensive scheme and all that. Rockets coaching is about leadership at this point which McHale possesses in spades.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 02:04 AM) Well, by reading what players said throughout the season, Sampson seems to be the brain behind Rockets basketball.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 01:52 AM) Of course he stays, what do you mean by that question? It is a strange question since what assistants do would never effect a head coach that way.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 12:51 AM) Will McHale stay if Sampson got coaching job at another team?
@  RollingWave : (05 May 2013 - 09:37 AM) Irving still need to work on a few things (most notably defense), his performance considering his age is great.
@  Dan G : (04 May 2013 - 06:50 AM) Damn..who knew tonight was gonna be close out the series night? Four Games 6s and four closeouts.
@  feelingsuper... : (04 May 2013 - 06:28 AM) Whatever comes the next few seasons (barring injuries) it will be hard to match the unadulterated excitement we had watching these young Rockets this past year, it was definitely some kind of roller coaster ride...
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:36 AM) Irving will be nasty good when LBJ will return to Cleveland as the lost son

Photo

How far are we away from being contenders?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

I have been debating with a friend all season that we are just one star away but he says we are two stars away. My argument was that if all of our players progress to what I think they can progress to, then we are one star away. He says things never work like that. But now I am starting to see his side. As you see in my Lin posting I am now questioning how good he can become. Earlier in the season I said he would progress to an All-Star level but now Im not so sure. Also, how much better will Asik, Parsons, and the rest of our young guys get? How far are we away from truly contending? I'm just not sure anymore.

#2 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,424 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

We are one healthy Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge away from contending.

According to Daryl Morey, we need a top 10 player (which we already have) and another top 15-20 player (which we need to get).

People might call me crazy for saying this, but I think Josh Smith and Paul Millsap have the potential to be top 20 players in our system surrounded by the talent that we have.

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#3 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

We are one healthy Kevin Love away from contending.

I used to think that too, but I'm not so sure. I think that would make us very good and a 50+ win team, but that is not the same as being a true contender and having a legitimate shot at winning it all.

#4 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Moderators
      • 344 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

2 years and 1 more GUY. That can be someone from our current roster developing to an all-star level or a free agent/trade.

#5 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,424 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

I used to think that too, but I'm not so sure. I think that would make us very good and a 50+ win team, but that is not the same as being a true contender and having a legitimate shot at winning it all.

Morey said we need at least 1 top 10 player to win the championship, and we have that. He said if we have 3 all-star caliber players that will increase our chances alot, but it's still possible to win with 2.

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#6 PKM

PKM

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 75 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I honestly think you've been overreacting to last game by a lot with these threads.  We pretty much have the worst big man rotation left in the playoffs.  You get that to average, that's a 50-win team.  You get an All-Star, we'll probably be at the level of say, Denver or San Antonio, and I think that's a contender.

If, however, you mean by "true contender" you mean "better than Miami", then yes, I could see needing two stars.  And beating Miami will be hard.  But you have to do it one step at a time, anyways.

#7 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 646 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

A CP3 or D12 away from contending. You could then flip Lin or Asik for the backup wing to replace Parsons/Hardin giving them rest.

#8 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

I honestly think you've been overreacting to last game by a lot with these threads. We pretty much have the worst big man rotation left in the playoffs. You get that to average, that's a 50-win team. You get an All-Star, we'll probably be at the level of say, Denver or San Antonio, and I think that's a contender.

If, however, you mean by "true contender" you mean "better than Miami", then yes, I could see needing two stars. And beating Miami will be hard. But you have to do it one step at a time, anyways.

Yeah, by true contender I do mean a legitimate and realistic shot at beating Miami and OkC, not just 50+ wins.

#9 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 1,424 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

OKC, Miami, and SA all have two top 10 players each, so I guess we'll need to match that at least. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done. The only other way is to get at least another top 20 player, and then have alot of underrated talent around those two guys. 

#10 PKM

PKM

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 75 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, by true contender I do mean a legitimate and realistic shot at beating Miami and OkC, not just 50+ wins.

Are you telling me that San Antonio is not a legitimate contender?

#11 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

[quote name="PKM" post="16765" timestamp="1366739477"]
                  Are you telling me that San Antonio is not a legitimate contender?[/quote

Honestly I don't think they are. I think their time has passed.

#12 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 1,424 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Whoa, disagree! The Spurs dominated the league at the beginning of the season when everyone was healthy, and now it looks like everyone is healthy again so they're very legit!

#13 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Whoa, disagree! The Spurs dominated the league at the beginning of the season when everyone was healthy, and now it looks like everyone is healthy again so they're very legit!

I don't see them having a chance against OKC or even the Clippers. Too old, time for Duncan to retire, Ginobli is beat up.

#14 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

I would be shocked if the Spurs actually made the finals. So to me that makes them pretenders and not contenders.

#15 cjuice28

cjuice28

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think the spurs (if healthy) have a chance to knock off the heat, because they match up better vs the heat than the thunder do.

Maybe its just paranoia about missing out on CP3 or Howard, but I think we have to get one of them to actually have a title shot. I think Denver might be the best comparable for us if we do strike out. I guess we'll see how they do this year.  With Mayo/Millsap/Smith we'd be solid, but we don't have the home court advantage of playing at high altitude like Denver either.

#16 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

I think the spurs (if healthy) have a chance to knock off the heat, because they match up better vs the heat than the thunder do.

Maybe its just paranoia about missing out on CP3 or Howard, but I think we have to get one of them to actually have a title shot. I think Denver might be the best comparable for us if we do strike out. I guess we'll see how they do this year. With Mayo/Millsap/Smith we'd be solid, but we don't have the home court advantage of playing at high altitude like Denver either.

I agree with you. And Denver, despite having a great regular season, has no realistic shot at winning it all.

#17 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 567 posts
                          • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

I don't see them having a chance against OKC or even the Clippers. Too old, time for Duncan to retire, Ginobli is beat up.

"Too old, Time for Duncan to retire" .......................

that tells me all I  need to know about your basketball knowledge.

Why so Serious? :D

#18 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 446 posts
                          • LocationHouston

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

we need 1 more legit star and a lot of experience for our younger guys.  playoff experience would be best, but might only get 4 games this season.

#19 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

"Too old, Time for Duncan to retire" .......................

that tells me all I need to know about your basketball knowledge.

So you think the Spurs will win it all? They have a zero percent chance. And yes, I know Duncan is still a very good player but players don't always have to wait till they are completely washed up and useless to retire. He has won multiple titles and is the greatest PF in the history of the league. What else does he have to prove? Don't question my basketball knowledge, that is rude and disrespectful.

#20 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 567 posts
                            • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

He is a legitimate DPOY candidate. And is going to get either 1st or 2nd team all NBA. He's nowhere near washed up. He's no longer the best player in the league, but he's still elite. And yes, the Spurs have a chance. They always have a chance. Are they the favorites? No, but don't mistake that for not having a chance.

Why so Serious? :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users