Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dan G : (23 April 2013 - 04:57 AM) Well we'll see. Anything will be better than what we did in game 1, so I'm up for anything. I just don't know if D-Mo is the answer.
@  2016Champions : (23 April 2013 - 02:28 AM) Isn't that what Morey recommended? Variance?
@  2016Champions : (23 April 2013 - 02:27 AM) If D-Mo gets hot he could be our X-Factor.
@  Dan G : (23 April 2013 - 02:00 AM) Parsons'*
@  Dan G : (23 April 2013 - 02:00 AM) Tjones release looks awkward? Have you seen D-Mo's 3-point shot? Every shot looks like Parson's laser shot from the Lakers game except they just clank off the rim. Maybe I'll have to see some more video of D-Mo but from what I've seen, his shot is far from textbook.
@  thenit : (23 April 2013 - 01:46 AM) Tjones release just looks awkward and slow. D-Mo can shoot, he just needs to get hot, if he gets a couple it would lift his confidence
@  Dan G : (23 April 2013 - 12:03 AM) Meh..I think D-Mo needs more work in the offseason before he can be a viable option. I'd rather have Jones play his minutes. Atleast Jones can rebound, block a shot or two, and can pretend to shoot the three better than D-Mo.
@  thenit : (22 April 2013 - 11:18 PM) I don't think D-Mo needs to get to the post, just draw ibaka out 2-3 feet further from the basket. Never thought I miss 2Pat this much after last night game though
@  2016Champions : (22 April 2013 - 10:31 PM) He did, but Greg Smith made it easy for him imo
@  Dan G : (22 April 2013 - 10:04 PM) Maybe but Ibaka totally took over the game last night, so he is doing something right.
@  2016Champions : (22 April 2013 - 09:10 PM) The only question is, is D-Mo strong enough to get position?
@  2016Champions : (22 April 2013 - 09:09 PM) Oh his post moves are definately crafty enough to fool Ibaka, Ibaka gets way too hungry for blocks so he jumps at everything.
@  Dan G : (22 April 2013 - 08:56 PM) I don't know I would disagree on D-MO. In all the games I've seen him in, his outside shot has looked horrible and his post up moves aren't crafty enough to fool Ibaka.
@  2016Champions : (22 April 2013 - 08:11 PM) I wouldn't mind seeing him post up against Ibaka too, D-Mo is really crafty with his post-moves and pump fakes.
@  2016Champions : (22 April 2013 - 08:10 PM) I would like to at least give D-Mo a chance, like at least 10 minutes, and if he doesn't play well at least we gave him valuable experience for the future.
@  thenit : (22 April 2013 - 07:43 PM) Anybody else who would like to see D-Mo at the 4? I think he can space the floor and draw Ibaka out, and also has the size and space to defend ibaka. He is also better at setting picks than T-Jones.
@  thenit : (22 April 2013 - 07:38 PM) Doesn't matter we need to be able to stop westbrook, everybody though bev wouldbe able to stop him and he couldn't. And it just feels like both him and Durant has another gear, which is scary.
@  Futureinterest : (22 April 2013 - 03:15 PM) We didn't have the luxury to rest players like OKC did.  In hindsight, we should've rested as we still got the worst seed and ran our players more into the ground for nothing...
@  feelingsuper... : (22 April 2013 - 01:25 PM) Agreed that slumping from 3 us coming at the worst time, one main cause is tired legs which is a by product of the 82 game season.
@  2016Champions : (22 April 2013 - 05:29 AM) Rockets now 13-57 from three in their last two games. That's not good.

Photo

[BBall Breakdown] Why Chandler Parsons is my favorite player

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

Friendly reminder: Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

#2 Futureinterest

Futureinterest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

Man.  That was an awesome analysis.  Thank you for sharing that.

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

That was gold.  I always love this guy's stuff.  What does everyone think about his premise that these issues shouldn't be occurring anymore on game 82?  Most here, I think myself included, have given the excuse that it's a young team that was put together quickly.  At the same time, these aren't 10 year olds.  They should have fixed this by now.

#4 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,160 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

I think alot Harden's struggles came after we lost our floor spacing. Patterson was traded away, D-Mo is too inconsistent, and Delfino at the 4 is too much of a defensive liability, so all that floor spacing has been replaced with Greg Smith and Terrence Jones. The defense has gone up, but the offense has gone down. If those changes happened earlier in the season then maybe we wouldn't look so stagnant right now, but the fact is that these changes happened recently and there hasn't been enough time for Harden and coaches to adjust. 

Friendly reminder: Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

#5 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 297 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

That was gold. I always love this guy's stuff. What does everyone think about his premise that these issues shouldn't be occurring anymore on game 82? Most here, I think myself included, have given the excuse that it's a young team that was put together quickly. At the same time, these aren't 10 year olds. They should have fixed this by now.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. This is the youngest team in the league that was put together on the fly. There is only 1 player on the team from a year ago. McHale should be considered for coach of the year honors to squeeze 45 wins out of this team (I don't think he should get it, but I do think he was a top 5 coach in the league this season based on projected win total and what he was able to actually attain).

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 1,040 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, I'm not saying they should be winning all of these games....but I think we would all at least like to see us get off a decent shot.  I can live with that.

#7 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 544 posts
      • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

That was gold.  I always love this guy's stuff.  What does everyone think about his premise that these issues shouldn't be occurring anymore on game 82?  Most here, I think myself included, have given the excuse that it's a young team that was put together quickly.  At the same time, these aren't 10 year olds.  They should have fixed this by now.

I disagree about all that stuff being ironed out. Especially since the look and structure of the team has had to change radically since the ASB (before which, you might well have seen Patterson on the floor late), and also the Rockets having not actually played that many close games this season.

ST

#8 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Well its interesting that you all find excuses on why we shouldn't expect more from a young team. The fact is the one who made most of the mistakes the last 3-4 possesion is the one with the most talent, with 4 years experience with tight situations and taking the last shot every game and every Q this season, makes mistakes. As the guy pointed out when harden just was uninterested on the weak side instead of trying to find space in one of the plays. He just walks. Disinterested. How can you make an excuse for that? He definately not tired, because the next possesion he sprints by Howard and makes a circus shot. Also when we could go 2 for 1 he isos and have the shot clock down to 5 sec then passes the ball off to Lin. Then the one where he does the whipsplash movement with his head on the 3pointer looking for the foul instead of trying to make the shot, without any contact. At least try to make a shot. Last possesion to when he takes 4 dribbles before even starting to do start doing anything wasting valuable time.

Harden is the reason we are in this position, but you can't keep giving him excuses when he does mistake after mistake in the same game. He did the same thing in both phoenix games, and once we got bailed out by an idiotic play by Oneal.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,040 posts
        • LocationAustin

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

"We all" aren't making excuses.  What shall we do then?  Off with his head?  Shave his beard and not let him grow another until he puts forth the proper effort?  Look, we all see it.  I think the majority of us recognize his talent and believe that over the next year or so he will work out a lot of these problems.  The future of this franchise is tied directly to Harden's success.  He is our guy for the next 5 years.  I'm not making any excuses for him and if you read these forums you should already know that.  I will support him and root for him to improve on the things that need improvement.

Again, Harden does not play in a vacuum.  It is very apparent that the scouting report is out on him.  He doesn't seem to have a fall-back option once the defense takes away his bread-and-butter.  Most of us are hoping he adds another wrinkle to his game this Summer that will help keep the defense honest.  His bad habits are something the coaching staff needs to address this Summer as well.

I think the Rockets need a high post passer to keep the defense guessing and let Harden play off of that.  If the Lakers amnesty Pau I think there is a good chance he will be a Rocket next year.

#10 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 537 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Top 5 coach?

lol

Why so Serious? :D

#11 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 297 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

Top 5 coach?

lol

Top five coaching job THIS SEASON. Not necessarily saying he is a top 5 coach in the league overall. Just like a player can have an All-Star season one year but not the next. McHale had an All-Star season as a coach this year. See projected wins vs actual wins as proof along with my above comments (most of which are based on actual facts).

#12 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 142 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

I think the Rockets need a high post passer to keep the defense guessing and let Harden play off of that.  If the Lakers amnesty Pau I think there is a good chance he will be a Rocket next year.

I agree that this would be a great solution.

Regarding Harden, I am aware that he is a potential top 5 player in the near future and where Harden goes, the rockets will go. I just think it shouldn't be that hard to at least make an effort when he doesn't have the ball. Too often he just looks disinterested instead of trying to create space for his team mates. Maybe its a fitness issue, not an attitude issue. I don't know whats in harden's head.

It's indisputable that he is the face of the franchise, but maybe I'm comparing him too much to the elite levels of LBJ, Kobe, KD, Paul and Westbrook ( the top 5 players in espn ranking ) they don't play with that lack of effort almost never on both ends on the floor. And you can't say the age is the difference KD and Westbrook are almost the same age,

Maybe its me who wants Harden to "already" be in that level or my expectations are too high too early.

#13 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 568 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

Harden is having the same problem LeBron had a few years ago. He hits a big shot, or trusts his teammates a little bit more making the correct pass this will all go away.

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 1,040 posts
              • LocationAustin

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

thenit, I totally agree about effort.  It's probably the one thing that is "unforgivable" as it is the one thing a player can, and should, always deliver.  If this isn't resolved over the off-season I will be disappointed in Harden, McHale, and his teammates--as all of them will have enabled this.  My sense is that this won't happen because someone is going to say something.  If they don't then the city of Houston will have to publicly shame him until he gets it right :)  Everywhere he goes in the city, the people who interact with him, or help him, serve him at restaurants, etc. will only deliver half of what's expected and totally slack off on the other half...when he asks, they will simply reply, "I learned it by watching you".  Problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users