Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (17 June 2013 - 05:26 AM) I had a feeling Ginobili would regress to the mean.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:33 AM) Now I had no idea Ginobli was gonna pull a Wade and turn back the clock. I give Pop the majority of the credit for that.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:32 AM) I don't think it was too ballsy on San Antonio's part. With the way Splitter has been playing and since Miami has started Miller the last two games, I thought it was inevitable that Ginobli would start.
@  RollingWave : (17 June 2013 - 02:57 AM) I must say that both team had some serious ballsy lineup changes this series, Ginobilli start? and dominate?
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 09:26 PM) According to Dr. Klapper, treatment for Parker's hamstring will only last one half. Lateral movement and jumping will be a problem.
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 04:56 AM) Parker said Pop was very angry with him for the constant nagging insisting he can play, Pop really didn't want Parker to play. Just goes to show Pop knows best.
@  RollingWave : (16 June 2013 - 04:28 AM) Parker says his hamstring is almost shot , that would probably doom the Spurs if he can't play at least 80%
@  2016Champions : (15 June 2013 - 12:38 AM) Miami is 6-0 in playoffs following losses (outscoring opponents by 20.7 PPG in those games). They've won 12 straight games following losses.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:50 PM) The Heat are notoriously slow starters. Once they get going it's like a snowball effect, they get more dangerous as they go along.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:49 PM) My heart says SA, but my mind says MIA
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 11:06 AM) Anybody else going to San Antone for Game 5??
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 10:15 AM) The Heat is doomed / the Spurs is doom , repeat until game 7
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 06:28 AM) Now that Wade's knee doesn't seem to be bothering him anymore, Spurs are in trouble.
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 06:26 AM) Mark Twain once was quoted--Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Not sure that motivates the Heat but food for thought for whatever that is worth!
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:43 AM) What happened to Parker that second half? Hamstring caught up to him?
@  Ostrow : (14 June 2013 - 03:57 AM) Has Manu had any good playoff games?
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 03:50 AM) G4 was very interesting, both teams making big adjustments, but I think at the end of the day Wade's rejuvenation / dead cat bounce versus Manu 's continued suck is the difference
@  RollingWave : (13 June 2013 - 08:49 AM) @rocketrick lol good one. I honestly don't know what happens now, I was expecting Spurs to win G3 but not by THAT much
@  rocketrick : (12 June 2013 - 10:55 AM) I can't wait for Game 5 after the Heat burn the Spurs on Thursday night
@  RollingWave : (12 June 2013 - 06:52 AM) The amazing thing is this 2nd rounder and undrafted guy played like super stars while the best player ever an another sure fired HOF guy played like junk

Photo

NBA Playoffs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#101 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Steph Curry would be a good fit next to anybody, he's deadly with the ball and even deadlier without it. 

53% on spot up 3's!

Don't be too quick to assume you're right and the experts are wrong. 

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

#102 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Man, how did I not include Steph Curry???  Good call.  That would be a ridiculous 1-2 punch.

For the sake of realism, do you think there is more than a .1% chance GS trades Curry for Westbrook?  I don't.

That's one reason I leaned towards Rondo and Rubio as I think both of those teams would make the trade.

#103 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

I'm starting to think the Grizzlies are the favorites in the West, and I think they could give the Heat alot of trouble. 

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

#104 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Is it Football season yet?

#105 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
    • 988 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Man, how did I not include Steph Curry??? Good call. That would be a ridiculous 1-2 punch.

For the sake of realism, do you think there is more than a .1% chance GS trades Curry for Westbrook? I don't.

That's one reason I leaned towards Rondo and Rubio as I think both of those teams would make the trade.

From watching the warriors last few games it seems Curry and Jackson have a great relationship, no way I see Curry going anywhere. Not to mention if he can stay healthy he could be top 5-10 easily.
      Have a Twitter? Post your info here and have it added to gain more followers and faster Rockets and Red94 news.
      http://www.red94.net...ic/310-twitter/

#106 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,105 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

I strongly disagree. If anything the series has shown just how critical Westbrook is and that the Thunder should definitely not be thinking about dealing him. Durant has looked great but the team has looked a lot worse, in a similar vein to the 'player looks good on a bad team' paradigm. In today's NBA variety is a strong asset, and they're not getting that any more when they have to look to Durant to create just about everything. The team's offense looks unhealthy, and ultimately they will fail because Durant is being asked to be 1A. To me that is a strong indictment that having Durant be the primary option like this is not a path the Thunder should want to pursue.

You say "Not having Westbrook is a huge loss because obviously, that's a loss of talent." And isn't that the whole point? Westbrook's loss has exposed just how dependent the team was on his transition threat and general scoring ability to provide balance and draw defenders away from Durant. Him not being there hurts the team in both obvious and subtle ways that serve to illustrate how valuable he actually was. We shouldn't be adjusting for 'talent', because that is part and parcel of what makes Westbrook such a valuable player.

ST

EDIT: The question that I forgot to ask - what is Westbrook's equivalent in trade? What positions would you be improving in a hypothetical trade here? You'd have to shift the paradigm quite dramatically if you wanted to remove the Westbrook-ian problems you're aiming at. If you get a scoring PG, then you're going to have similar issues. If you don't get a scoring PG, then where is your offense coming from?

Just now getting to this.  My point when saying "it's a loss of talent" is that I mean obviously they're going to be worse off without Westbrook.  You never get better just flat out losing a player.  But the question is whether they'd be better with his equivalent in trade return.  I feel like they would be.  

#107 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 167 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:41 AM

The Pacers are really amazing ....

As or Westbrook vs Harden, one should note that Westbrook's pass is generally more efficient than Harden's (at least.. when he actually choose to pass.)  Harden's AST/TOV ratio is basically Kobe Bryant, I'm not sure how successful a team would be with Kobe Bryant as the PG.

But the grander point I think on the Thunder trade is that they could have just amnestied Perkins,  it's one thing to not be willing to go into luxury tax, it's another to give up a great player so you don't have to pay a bad one a few mill to not play for you. Perkin was so bad this year they were no worse off starting some random combination of Collison / Thabeet / Aldrich if that was how they choose to go . (actually, it was likely that they ended up better.)

#108 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 2,052 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

Haven't seen Rocketrick around since he predicted Heat to sweep the Pacers. Hmm...

#109 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 594 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Haven't seen Rocketrick around since he predicted Heat to sweep the Pacers. Hmm...

Yeah, I'm feeling kind of smug right now about the prediction I made during the first round of the Playoffs:

So everyone and their dog already has the Heat pencilled in to the finals spot in the East. And I get it - they won 66 games on the year and had that awesome winning streak, they look good. But I'm not so sure - I think the Pacers can beat them. And this may be that I peversely kind of enjoy watching these guys play and overrating them because of it, but I think they pose a matchup problem for the Heat. To get my prediction in early (because I'm anticipating a Pacers - Heat conference finals and I want to say this before they send New York home with their tails between their legs), here are the reasons why I think this will happen:

• Miami has nobody who can guard Hibbert. He's got a huge height and size advantage over Bosh and Anderson, and there aren't really any other post defenders who are going to see significant minutes against him (Joel Anthony?). Early in the year the Pacers struggled because Hibbert was not able to hit his shots offensively due to a wrist injury. But now he's back to full capabilities he has those nice hook shots that are pretty much impossible to guard if he's hitting them.
          • The Pacers boast the league's best defense, and are packed full of enough long and athletic defensive types that they should be able to defend Wade and LeBron as well as anyone in the league. I'm thinking particularly of George Hill and Paul George here, but almost nobody playing big minutes on that team is a minus defender.
          • Attitude-wise the Pacers have a snarling, fear-nobody approach that means they shouldn't be overawed by the occasion. There's extra fuel for them to work with given that they lost against the Heat last year. This team plays with an edge, and are not afraid to junk up the game in a manner that will be detrimental to the Heat.
          • Paul George is a tough cover because he doesn't do things that make him easy to disrupt. With someone who needs the ball in their hands, you can send someone to double team them. But George tends to make his moves quickly off the catch and with a minimum of intervening dribbles, making that difficult to do.
          • The Heat will kill you if you leave their shooters open as part of your defensive scheme. Allen and Battier both thrive off the attention they don't receive because of how difficult LeBron and Wade are to guard. But the Pacers are the best team in the league at closing out on three point shooters (particularly Gerald Green - every time I watch these guys play he seems to have at least one time where he blocks a three point attempt by an unsuspecting shooter just by jumping really high on the close out). Opposing teams shoot just 32.1% from behind the arc against them - you either take a contested three pointer or you step in and shoot the inefficient long two. They will make it difficult for those killer three balls to fall.

My opinion is that the success of New York has meant that the majority of the national media has just forgotten about Indiana completely (I was listening to Simmons and Lowe discussing the playoffs and Lowe had to remind Simmons of the Pacers existence). We've been pining after a good defense for the whole year...well we could learn a thing or two from these guys. I realise the Hawks-Pacers series is not for everyone, but I for one will be tuning in with relish.

What does everyone else think?

ST

Even if the Heat end up taking this in Game 7, I'm pleased with how much I got right in there.

ST

#110 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 2,052 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Very in-depth and detailed prediction, and being right makes it even better, props to that. 

#111 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 594 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

Huge game tonight! Going to stay up to watch it...hope it's a good one!

ST

#112 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 514 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

Actually I said 4 or 5 games. Just like the Heat, I took a couple of extra games off..........

Still, Kudos to the Pacers for making this a 7 game series although they obviously laid an egg in game 7. The problem with the Pacers is they don't have near the depth the Heat have with guards and wing players. The Pacers bench has got to be one of the worst in a long time for a team that made it this deep in the playoffs.

Even when they were behind by 12-18 points and Vogel was forced to take Hibbert out of the game, instead of trying to match Miami's smaller ball lineup, Vogel both times went went Mahinmi. When you're down big, you need a scorer coming off the bench, not another big to match up with Miami's smaller lineups. Would Danny Granger have made a difference this season if he was healthy? Perhaps but he is not the most efficient offensive player around. In my mind, the Pacers just need to get someone like a JR Smith (who is officially available this off-season) for that instant offense off the bench.

Hibbert finally played to hia ability and then some in this series. He was mostly missing during the regular season which is a big reason I thought Miami could take them down sooner than they did. Hibbert and George are going to be tough matchups for anyone down the road.

So now, Spurs vs. Heat. I have no predictions for this series at this point. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy and hope that it goes down to the wire each game with a couple of overtime games thrown in and it ends up being a 6- or 7-game series. Part of me wants the NBA season to wrap up so that we can start focusing on free agency and off-season moves here in Houston. But I always know that it's getting close to that time of the year where there won't be any major league sports to watch for a good 2 months.

#113 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 2,052 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

I was just going off this:

rocketrick, on 22 May 2013 - 21:05, said:snapback.png

I've said elsewhere in this forum that I expect the Miami Heat to sweep the Pacers, or at best screw up and give them one victory. I stand by that. I think the Heat are gearing up for the Finals and will be hitting on all cylinders. They are starting to taste the back to back championship. And the opportunity for the first back to back to back in some time.

Anyway, moving on.

It was a dog fight of a series. The finals should be a dog fight too, I got the Spurs in 6 or 7. 

edit: I will say this though, if Heat win it will be because Lebron is just too damn good. Spurs are the better team, but Lebron has the potential to perform like Mike--anyone, Jordan, Jackson, Tyson, action.

#114 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 514 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

Since I'm not a fan of either the Spurs or the Heat, I really don't care who wins. I do expect it's going to be a fun series to watch, though, as both teams have deep benches and a lot of flexibility with different lineups. I do expect that Shane Battier will get his regular playing time back. He was basically taken out of the Pacers series by Vogel playing big ball all the way through. He had to, because truthfully he had no small ball guys on his bench that he could rely on. DJ Augustin and Gerald Green, ugghh! Just another example of small lineups > big lineups in the NBA now and probably into the forseeable future. Something for the Rockets to consider as they continue chasing D12 and have to decide whether to keep Asik or go with more flexibility with their bench. I don't see big lineups > small lineups anytime soon in the NBA with the overall lack of centers that the league has currently.

#115 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 2,052 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

I think it's more a matter of more talent vs less talent rather than big line-ups vs small line-ups. It's easier to find talented players who aren't 7 feet or taller. 

If we get Dwight, and he goes back to being a top 5 player in this league, I think we have a realistic chance of beating the Heat. 

#116 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 514 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

The problem is that the Heat aren't going to be around much longer. D-Wade is quickly becoming a shadow of his former self and it won't be much longer before the Big 3 have to be re-signed. Will the Heat really sign all 3 again? I doubt it. I believe anyone trying to build a roster "to beat the Heat" is making a big mistake.

#117 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 2,052 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

I think getting a top 5 player is a good ingredient for beating anyone, just gotta make sure to have the other necessary ingredients too plus the right recipe. I'm confident we can have all that and a bag of chips. 

#118 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 594 posts
                • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well, that was disappointingly anti-climactic. Still, the series was fun while it lasted. I'm honestly quite disgusted at all of the 'demise of the Big 3' talk that was floating around after Game 6 though. It's the culmination of a playoffs that has been absolutely riddled with Recency Bias of the worst kind. Both Wade and Bosh are injured at the moment, and it would be wise to wait to see them healthy before writing them off as an entity. Wade hasn't been great this year and probably won't be getting significantly better, it's true, but even if he's just the Wade we saw in the regular season this year the Heat are a great team. They probably need to try to phase in some younger players at the expense of the veteran detritus that litters the end of their bench, but they're still going to be favourites to get back to the finals again next season unless there's a major shake up in the Eastern Conference over the offseason. Hopefully the Bulls and Pacers can give them a run for their money though, and I'll be cheering for them to dethrone the King et al.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I'm picking Heat in 7 for this one. Spurs are good but I don't think they pose quite the same matchup difficulties that the Pacers did to Miami. I think the Heat's offense will be able to find its rhythm a bit better and without the same suffocating defense the Pacers play on three point line the Heat's three point shooters will get back to something closer to their regular season effectiveness. Spurs will do a better job than the Pacers did at exploiting the cracks in the Heat defense they manage to prise open, but Duncan and Splitter do not pose quite as challenging questions to the Heat's front court so there won't be as many to find. Should be an entertaining duel though.

ST

#119 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 2,052 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

Bosh sprained his ankle in game 4, and Wade sprained his knee much earlier in the playoffs. The "demise of the Big 3" talk is definitely a little silly if these facts are being ignored, but there are reasons for concern though. The first two concerns that come to mind are:

• Wade's body. Typically athletic guards who don't shoot very well decline very fast. Going forward in future seasons, it would be wise for Spoelstra to be more conservative with Wade's playing time during the regular season.
                • The Heat are projected to pay at least 48 million in progressive tax in 2015, and that number goes up significantly every year. I'm sure MIckey Arison will be willing to pay up if the Heat continue to win championships, but it's still worth mentioning as a concern imo. 

#120 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 594 posts
                • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Oh I agree that in a few years time they might be in trouble...but it's when they're genuinely in trouble that you want to start having a conversation about that. The Celtics - now that's a team that has come to the end of its window and has to make some hard decisions about what to do next. The Heat? Get back to me in a couple of years.

ST

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users