Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (18 April 2013 - 09:53 PM) Yeah, just noticed that off-season wheels are already starting to turn
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 09:03 PM) ie. Power Forward
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 09:02 PM) I'd rather use the Lin-Bev combo as the 2nd unit, and spend money on a position where we actually need help.
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 09:01 PM) No thanks.
@  thejohnnygold : (18 April 2013 - 08:52 PM) Lookie here....OJ MAYO IS ON THE MARKET!
@  feelingsuper... : (18 April 2013 - 01:06 PM) If you are in Houston right now Morey is on 790am right now.
@  feelingsuper... : (18 April 2013 - 01:05 PM) If you are in Houston Daryl Morey is on 790am right now.
@  Richards : (18 April 2013 - 12:35 PM) Still pissed n pissed. Let Harden play with 3pt shooters like Garcia n Delfino. Let Lin, Bev, Parsons as another unit. I knew, I knew, I pouted as a frustration.
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 06:02 AM) Harden played like Lebron did in the 2011 finals against the Heat, just doing lots of standing around. Our offense is similar too. I just hope Harden and the offense improves just as much as theirs did, lets be patient and see if it does or not.
@  trickymess : (18 April 2013 - 06:02 AM) Was there a reason Lin didn't return after he was pulled in the 3rd? What is McHale's problem with Lin? He was doing all right until he got pulled!
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:49 AM) Not an excuse, just an explanation
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:48 AM) The reason I say that is he wasn't exactly conditioned for this offense, and our offense doesn't work when it isn't going at fastest pace.  In fact most of these players weren't.  May explain the stop ball and lack of player movement when Harden is on the court
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 05:41 AM) I don't beleive that, I've seen guys who are tired and still push themselves. Harden isn't pushing himself.
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:40 AM) I do wonder how much of it is fatigue...when I am tried I get lazy .  I have noticed he seems to play well in first quarter the last few games and its downhill from there
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 05:37 AM) McHale needs to figure out how to get Harden under control, he clearly can't rely on him to make the right decisions on his own.
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:27 AM) Lol
@  BenQueens : (18 April 2013 - 05:27 AM) G'night folks- way too late out East.
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:27 AM) Well Stern got his ratings..at least maybe we will get good tv slots
@  Ostrow : (18 April 2013 - 05:26 AM) Best play of the night
@  BenQueens : (18 April 2013 - 05:25 AM) just daydreaming FSS

Photo

Way to get Howard & Smith...?

39 replies to this topic

#1 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

So been looking at salary caps, players, etc.  Might have a way to get Howard and Smith and build a very solid team, provided LA-Howard marriage looks unlikely.  

Step #1:

LA: Receives Asik & DMo/TRob from Rockets

Rockets: Receive Howard from LA

Utah: Receives Lin & 1st round pick from Rockets, Blake from LA

Reasoning: LA is going to need to shed some cap either way & if it looks like Howard is on the way out, this gets them something in return.  They could then amnesty Kobe or Pau to free up a lot more money, and would have some pieces to build for future.  Utah needs PGs bad and Lin is an upgrade for them and can play some SG.  Blake is expensive back-up, but Rockets basically throw in first round pick for Utah to eat some of LAs salary for 1 year (they have the space to do it). Rockets get Howard...enough said.

Step #2:

Trade Trob/DMo for pick

Step #3:

Retain Parsons, Anderson, Beverly, Smith

Step #4:

Sign Josh Smith to a $12-14 million contract

This resulting salary for the Rockets would be: Howard (20 mil), Harden (13.7 mil), Smith (13 mil), White (1.7 mil), Jones (1.5 mil), Parsons (926K), Anderson (916K), Smith (884K), Bev (788K).  That totals to about 53.5 million with enough money to signs some vet bench players to fill out roster. 

PG Bev/Vet

SG Harden/Anderson

SF Parsons/J. Smith

PF J.Smith/Jones

C  Howard/G. Smith

That is a very good defensive starting line-up without sacrificing much offense.  Plus since JSmoove can swing between 3 & 4, you can always keep him or Parsons out there to guard best player on other team.

Any thoughts?  Was my math/logic sound?  Some hypotheticals, but relatively possible.

#2 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

I haven't looked too carefully at the math, but since you're essentially imploding our team, I don't see why it wouldn't work out. I was really hesitant about this at first, but it is interesting as it allows us to re-sign Parsons when his K ends without having to worry about what we're doing w/ Asik and Lin's contracts. Small change is that I can't imagine JSmoove signing for LESS than $14M, even w/ Harden and Howard on the team.

With that sort of team though, I can definitely see us being really, really dominant. Morey finds good role players in his sleep, and we still have PHX's 2nd rounder. I wonder if Millsap might even fit better on this team, while saving us $2M. I am not for a straight up signing of Millsap, but in this hypo, it sure would be another option to look at for those that are a bit against JSmith (or if Smith won't agree to $14M).

#3 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 523 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

It's impossible. Not worth thinking about.

#4 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

True phaketrash, but even with JSmoove at 14 you still have about 3.5 mil to fill out roster.  As you said, if he won't sign for 14 or less, Millsap becomes an option as well (or an option from the get go for the JSmoove-adverse).  The reason I prefer JSmoove is because he can operate in conjunction with Parsons with TJones on the floor, pretty much guaranteeing an solid defensive paint & wing player at all times (JSmoove & Parsons get ~38 minutes each & TJones gets 20).

#5 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Reasoning?  I mean i can say it will definitely happen if we want it, but I assume you would want me to back a statement like that up...

#6 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 891 posts
          • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

I am assuming this is couched in your usual trollish aura lol, or do you actually mean it is somehow impossible.

#7 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 891 posts
          • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Reasoning?  I mean i can say it will definitely happen if we want it, but I assume you would want me to back a statement like that up...

Steven is actually Bun B, so take his comments w/ a grain of salt. I don't think he actually means it is 'physically' impossible. He just means he thinks the current Rockets team, as is, is maybe 6 months of experience behind besting the Miami Heat :P

#8 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Steven is actually Bun B, so take his comments w/ a grain of salt. I don't think he actually means it is 'physically' impossible. He just means he thinks the current Rockets team, as is, is maybe 6 months of experience behind besting the Miami Heat :P

Ah ok.  I am around so intermittently (today's lectures are particularly boring so here I am), so I am not sure how to take some people.

#9 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 523 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I mean it actually is impossible. LA isn't going to take anyone in a sign and trade. They wanna strip as much payroll before next offseason so they can bring in LeBron. That there kills all possible sign and trade aspects. And Bun B doesn't have near the skill I do on the mic.

#10 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Also, phaketrash to go down the Millsap-rabbit hole (although the number of involved players becomes a bit involved):

LA: Asik & DMo

Utah: Lin, TRob, Blake, Rockets 1st rounder (top 5 protection maybe)

Rockets: Howard & Millsap (via sign & trade)

Basically just combined steps 1, 2, 4 into 1 big step.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 1,308 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

looks doable to me however here's another path we could take. send asik to LA in sign and trade. trade lin to Utah for pick or ship him to ATL in j-smith sign and trade. waive brooks, Garcia and delfino. trade t-rob for pick leaves us with d-12(20 mil) harden(13.5 mil) j-smith(14mil) parsons(926K) bev(789k) d-mo(1.4 mil) t-jones (1.6 mil) Royce(1.7 mil) g-smith(885k)....that puts us at 54.8 mil and 9 players under contract still leaving us room to sign mayo or e-Bledsoe to offer sheet. I have no doubt morey could fill out the rest of the roster with cheap promising talent

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 1,308 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

I know it's close to your plan, but this way we get to keep d-mo

#13 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

I mean it actually is impossible. LA isn't going to take anyone in a sign and trade. They wanna strip as much payroll before next offseason so they can bring in LeBron. That there kills all possible sign and trade aspects. And Bun B doesn't have near the skill I do on the mic.

Then there is no point in signing-and-trading Howard.  There are very few teams that can accept Howard on a sign&trade without having to give anything up and how many of those teams would Howard agree to go to?

Odds are they are either going to sign him and amnesty Bryant or Gasol, sign&trade while taking some pieces back and probably still amnesty Bryant or Gasol, or let him walk and still probably amnesty Bryant or Gasol (although less likely).  

If they go the sign and trade w/ amnesty, we can offer a good package.  Asik is an up&coming big man and DMo shows strong potential as a stretch four with a good post game (ala Gasol).  The package I suggested saves them 14 million over first option (24 mil out & 10mil in) and only costs about 6 million (Still have Blake's 4mil) more than last option.

Logically they would amnesty Kobe since he won't be available next year (or most of it) and then sign him to vet minimum after he clears waivers ("pre-agreement"?) if they still want him (basically double paying him).  The result would be that their salary for next season would be about 46.5 mil plus whoever they sign to fill out roster with another 19mil coming off books after the 13-14 season, making them huge players in the 2014 offseason. If they go the other way and amnesty Pau, they will be at about 56.5 mil and it will be a little tougher to fill out roster with same end result.

#14 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

I know it's close to your plan, but this way we get to keep d-mo

I do like DMo and that is a possibility, but the more teams that have to play ball, the less likely you can make it happen.  It all depends on if Howard is interested in coming here.  If he is, I am sure Morey can make it work.

#15 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

RBF another possibility is if you can convince LA to take TRob and not DMo then you can just skip step 2.  Salaries would look basically the same as your plan to keep DMo

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 1,308 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

RBF another possibility is if you can convince LA to take TRob and not DMo then you can just skip step 2.  Salaries would look basically the same as your plan to keep DMo

true.....also I don't think you would have to convince LA to hard if the possibility of d-12 leaving for nothing is looming

#17 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 891 posts
                      • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

All of this hinges on Howard being willing to come to HTown. That is a huge if. IF he is willing, we have a multitude of options. I really like Asik and Lin, but if Morey goes through a crazy roster shakeup like this again, I would not be entirely against it either.

More likely though, he would rather just sign Howard and sit pat (would have required moving TRob for free already though to sign Howard to that max), and then maybe move Asik a bit later. Trading Asik + young prospect in a S&T right after we sign Howard but for a separate player, such as Millsap, is quite possible...and allows us to keep Lin. I just am a bit skeptical that Morey will blow the team up AGAIN. Major moves, sure, but implode the roster by moving Asik, TRob, Lin and maybe one of DMo and TJones? 

#18 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 891 posts
                      • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

If D12 is leaving, LAL would be glad to get some great pieces from us like Asik or even TRob. They're not worried about their cap room situation in 2014. As of now, they only have $9.7M on the books that yr...Nash's deal. That is it. More than enough to offer LBJ TWO max contracts lol.

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 1,308 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

All of this hinges on Howard being willing to come to HTown. That is a huge if. IF he is willing, we have a multitude of options. I really like Asik and Lin, but if Morey goes through a crazy roster shakeup like this again, I would not be entirely against it either.

More likely though, he would rather just sign Howard and sit pat (would have required moving TRob for free already though to sign Howard to that max), and then maybe move Asik a bit later. Trading Asik + young prospect in a S&T right after we sign Howard but for a separate player, such as Millsap, is quite possible...and allows us to keep Lin. I just am a bit skeptical that Morey will blow the team up AGAIN. Major moves, sure, but implode the roster by moving Asik, TRob, Lin and maybe one of DMo and TJones? 

true, but I think the whole point of this thread is to lay out possible options showing we can pretty much do what we want to this summer

#20 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 891 posts
                      • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Oh btw pharmag, I don't think LAL will amnesty Kobe. The fan reaction would be insane, and you can't possibly even consider it without Kobe's consent (of course). But the main reason why I think it won't happen now is because he is projected to only be out 6-9 months. It is in theory possible for him to not even miss a day of next season! Probably be out a couple of months, but if he's back before all star break, no way he agrees to be amnestied, and no way LAL does it and suffer the ire of all the fans.

Gasol could be amnestied, but why amnesty him when you can trade him? His value is low, sure, but it is still heck of a lot higher than nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users