Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (18 April 2013 - 09:53 PM) Yeah, just noticed that off-season wheels are already starting to turn
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 09:03 PM) ie. Power Forward
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 09:02 PM) I'd rather use the Lin-Bev combo as the 2nd unit, and spend money on a position where we actually need help.
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 09:01 PM) No thanks.
@  thejohnnygold : (18 April 2013 - 08:52 PM) Lookie here....OJ MAYO IS ON THE MARKET!
@  feelingsuper... : (18 April 2013 - 01:06 PM) If you are in Houston right now Morey is on 790am right now.
@  feelingsuper... : (18 April 2013 - 01:05 PM) If you are in Houston Daryl Morey is on 790am right now.
@  Richards : (18 April 2013 - 12:35 PM) Still pissed n pissed. Let Harden play with 3pt shooters like Garcia n Delfino. Let Lin, Bev, Parsons as another unit. I knew, I knew, I pouted as a frustration.
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 06:02 AM) Harden played like Lebron did in the 2011 finals against the Heat, just doing lots of standing around. Our offense is similar too. I just hope Harden and the offense improves just as much as theirs did, lets be patient and see if it does or not.
@  trickymess : (18 April 2013 - 06:02 AM) Was there a reason Lin didn't return after he was pulled in the 3rd? What is McHale's problem with Lin? He was doing all right until he got pulled!
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:49 AM) Not an excuse, just an explanation
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:48 AM) The reason I say that is he wasn't exactly conditioned for this offense, and our offense doesn't work when it isn't going at fastest pace.  In fact most of these players weren't.  May explain the stop ball and lack of player movement when Harden is on the court
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 05:41 AM) I don't beleive that, I've seen guys who are tired and still push themselves. Harden isn't pushing himself.
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:40 AM) I do wonder how much of it is fatigue...when I am tried I get lazy .  I have noticed he seems to play well in first quarter the last few games and its downhill from there
@  2016Champions : (18 April 2013 - 05:37 AM) McHale needs to figure out how to get Harden under control, he clearly can't rely on him to make the right decisions on his own.
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:27 AM) Lol
@  BenQueens : (18 April 2013 - 05:27 AM) G'night folks- way too late out East.
@  pharmag : (18 April 2013 - 05:27 AM) Well Stern got his ratings..at least maybe we will get good tv slots
@  Ostrow : (18 April 2013 - 05:26 AM) Best play of the night
@  BenQueens : (18 April 2013 - 05:25 AM) just daydreaming FSS

Photo

Terrence Jones is Josh Smith

50 replies to this topic

#1 TheDream

TheDream

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Let me give you some per 48 minute stats for each player's rookie year:

Terrence Jones 6'9" 252

FG%: 44%  3PT%: 26%  PPG: 18.3  RPG: 11.3  APG: 2.4  SPG: 2.0  BPG: 3.5

Josh Smith: 6'9" 225 lbs

FG%: 43%  3PT%: 25%  PPG: 16.9  RPG: 10.0  APG: 3.6  SPG: 1.2  BPG: 3.9

I am not sure that adding Josh Smith at max is worth it.   I think it might be more worth it to let TJones develop.  We may already have Josh Smith.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 979 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Plus he is locked up on a cheap contract through 2017!!!  I am all for this--It's not Josh Smith I want...just someone, anyone, that can do what he does.  If it is Terrence Jones all the better.

I think he left 6, maybe 8, points on the floor last night as he continues to finish short (weak) at the rim.  He will get over that.  He reminds me of the big dog that doesn't realize it is bigger than the others yet...once he does I think he will be the guy we have been looking for.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 979 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Well, if this doesn't sound exactly like a future Josh Smith...nothing does.

Measured at 6'9 with a 7'2 wingspan and powerful
    245-pound frame that he worked hard to add additional muscle to last
    summer, Jones has everything you look for in a NBA forward physically,
    even if he could be considered a tad undersized for the power forward
    position. He runs the floor like a small forward, plays above the rim
    in traffic, makes fluid moves off the dribble, and has the package of
    tools to defend multiple positions at the NBA level.

1335571657.jpg US Presswire

In projecting where Jones may fit best at the next level, it is worth
    noting that last season he appeared to be more stuck between the forward
    positions than he does now. The Oregon native is a versatile scorer
    with the ability to shoot the ball (inconsistently) from the perimeter,
    put the ball on the floor and attack the basket off the dribble, earn
    some easy looks running in transition, make plays in the post, and
    finish explosively at the rack. Considering his array of talents and
    defensive tools, Jones could surely spend some time at the small forward
    position in the NBA.

Despite that, he may be better equipped to operate as a face-up power
    forward early on at the next level, where he'd be far more of a
    mismatch. Connecting on 34% of his jump shots, almost none of which
    came from the midrange, as a freshman and sophomore according to Synergy
    Sports Technology, Jones has the ability to keep defenses honest with
    his somewhat long, loose shooting mechanics. However, the more time he
    spends on the perimeter the more likely he is to fall into the habit of
    settling for long shots, which takes away from perhaps his greatest
    strength, making athletic plays around the rim, crashing the glass and
    finishing.

#4 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 222 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

I still want J Smooth though. I actually think that Morey is planning on trying to add Both Josh Smith And Dwight Howard. They are good friends and would likely come here to play together. We would have to trade or amnesty Asik but I actually think we could sign both. Imagine this lineup:

PF: J Smooth
      SF: Parsons
      C: Howard
      SG: Harden
      PG: Lin

Bench: Beverley, T. Jones, G. Smith, Montiujunas, James Anderson, Veteran swing man

We would be instant contenders

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 979 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

You're a tad behind on this one....unless they take huge...HUGE...discounts that is just not an option.  We can't Amnesty Asik.  At best, a sign and trade for Smith or Howard, but we would be gutting our roster of the talent that makes it an appealing destination so that's not an option (IMO).

#6 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 222 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Can someone post specific salary cap numbers if we do choose to decline our player options and move Asik? I really think we would have room for both Josh Smith and Howard if we did this. Remember that when signing players to long-term deals their salaries generally start off lower and then increase each year. We would just have to be under the soft cap next year by their first year salary being somewhat lower. Now it terms of the luxury tax beyond that year, of course our owner would have to be willing to pay that. But wouldn't it be worth it considering how good this team would be? Also, I really think that going after both of these guys will pretty much guarantee that we get them since they are good friends. If we just try to get one of them, I believe that we have less of a chance and may end up with neither.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 979 posts
        • LocationAustin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

If you are talking about signing them both to max contracts that will be roughly $36M.  It's not going to happen.  Signing Howard to a $20M deal already requires trading t-rob for a future pick.  No Francisco Garcia (not that he was staying at $6M).  Maybe no Delfino?  Even trading Asik's $8M only gets us halfway to J-Smith.  In order to get the other $8M we'd have to lose Lin, or the rest of the roster.  Just not an option as we would have to take back salary in those processes too.

Here is a link to Houston's salaries

#8 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 222 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I don't see Smith actually getting a max deal

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 979 posts
          • LocationAustin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

OK, then what does he sign for?

#10 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 523 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Even at $14M the Rockets would have to trade away $11M. That's Asik plus two other players.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 979 posts
            • LocationAustin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Yup, and those two other players won't be Royce White and Timothy Ohlbrecht....more likely that they are T-Jones and D-Mo/Greg Smith

#12 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 222 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Are you considering starting them at a lower salary initially? I think Smith could start at around 11 or 12 and Howard around 16 or 17

#13 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 83 posts
              • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't think it's the actual salary that matters - it's the cap hit.  For example, Asik and Lin both have 5/5/15 deals, but the cap hit is 8.x per year.  I believe they average the total salary over the life of the contract.

#14 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 523 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Dwight Howard is not turning down a single dollar. It is going to take the full max to get him away from LA.

#15 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 523 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

I don't think it's the actual salary that matters - it's the cap hit. For example, Asik and Lin both have 5/5/15 deals, but the cap hit is 8.x per year. I believe they average the total salary over the life of the contract.

Only in the instance of the poison pill contracts. And them are only in the rare instance that a 2nd round pick becomes a free agent after their second year.

#16 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 83 posts
                  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

JG - good find on the TJones draft express stuff.  I actually think he has matured.  From the recaps from both UK years, he was fine as the big dog, but didn't do so well when others stole his thunder.  Classic grade school stuff.  Now he's in the big leagues, and better yet, with a bunch of guys roughly the same age.  More chances to grow up while still having fun and winning.  He really is growing into his own, and the court play is showing that.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 1,308 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

at Kentucky t-jones was stuck between a-davis and kid-gilcrest.  however still shined. he was more a glue guy there doing the dirty work within that team. here he will be ask to do more and I believe he is up to the task. he has the skill set. it just needs to finish being developed.

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 1,308 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

even tho we have not seen consistant play from our PF's this year, I have seen enough between d-mo and t-jones to think we will be fine at that position. t-rob is out of the mix at the moment, but I expect for him to make his push at some point if not moved in a howard signing. watching these youngsters grow has been exciting. after a good summer of work I'm expecting more consistant play from all.

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 979 posts
                  • LocationAustin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Agreed.  Assuming he is our "josh-smith-type-guy", that fills our need at that position.  Moving forward, obviously Howard is the target, but if that doesn't happen does anyone still feel like a moderate contract offer to Andray Blatche (say $7M) would be good?  He can play C and PF, has high-end athleticism, shoots well from the right side on mid-range jumpers, and has the hands and strength to finish plays at the rim.  He can log solid minutes backing up both Asik and Jones while the other guys continue to develop.  Further, he provides a different skill-set from what we already have.  For instance, last night when Scola was torching us, I feel that Blatche has the athleticism to guard effectively away from the basket and wit his size and movement could have stifled that attack.  His per 36 numbers are impressive as well.

Yes, it eats up some of our cap room, but with his moderately priced contract (thanks to the amnesty) he would be easy to move (to make room) or include in a trade for another player.  (most teams are always in the market for a guy like him on a good contract)

I feel that is our most glaring weakness at the moment.  James Anderson is looking good for the back-up SG.  PG is solid (I don't think CP3 is coming to town).  SF is good.  I think he plugs the hole in the ship and makes us collectively much stronger as a team.

Thoughts?

#20 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 1,084 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Millsap would make sense because he could be a mentor to all these young PF's, but Blatche? No thanks. And isn't there some loop hole in his contract where he's still getting paid by the Wizards which means it's unnecessary to pay him anything more than the minimum?

Friendly reminder: Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users