Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (14 April 2013 - 05:26 AM) Yep, they are only 1 game ahead of Utah, and they will likely lose their two remaining games (Spurs, Rockets). Utah will probably win in Minny then lose in Memphis, but they own the tiebreaker.
@  phaketrash : (14 April 2013 - 05:18 AM) My dream scenario of us being securely in 7th seed at least...facing off against LAL for the final game of the season, where they need the win to get into the playoffs, but we pound them...seems like it might happen! lol
@  2016Champions : (13 April 2013 - 02:57 PM) Daryl Morey 2h
Tough loss last night. Likely opponent: San Antonio 33%, Denver 31%, Memphis 14%, Oklahoma City 14%, LA Clippers 8%
@  Rahat Huq : (13 April 2013 - 11:38 AM) he won't retire, but i do think dwight situation is now up in the air.
@  2016Champions : (13 April 2013 - 07:08 AM) If Kobe retires, does that increase our chances of getting Dwight? Or is Dwight secretly happy he can become be "the man" in L.A. now?
@  2016Champions : (13 April 2013 - 02:43 AM) San Antonio better be afraid, very afraid.
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:41 AM) not a bad loss to take considering that we might not have to play the nuggets
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:40 AM) but I agree 2016 that its a morale victory
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:40 AM) at least Harden should have drive and at least try to get FT
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:39 AM) Harden had 2 chances to tie or win, and he missed both, not sure why they didn't go with Lin on one of the possesion, Harden didn't make a FG the whole 4th
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:37 AM) damn,
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:36 AM) no they missed the FT
@  2016Champions : (13 April 2013 - 02:36 AM) Moral victory because the refs screwed us, but we keep the 7th seed.
@  2016Champions : (13 April 2013 - 02:35 AM) Yes we lost!
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:35 AM) wow how can Mchale not go 2 for 1 there
@  2016Champions : (13 April 2013 - 02:34 AM) McHale spending alot of time on the clipboard tonight
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:33 AM) 2 for 1 , they should try to get that
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:31 AM) a month ago we wouldnt have  a chance on winning tonight
@  thenit : (13 April 2013 - 02:31 AM) yea i know that is promising going into the playoffs, thats harden's 9th TO
@  2016Champions : (13 April 2013 - 02:28 AM) Our defense has improved alot.

Photo

Omer Asik a leading candidate for DPoY according to RAPM

61 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

New post: Omer Asik for Defensive Player of the Year

#2 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 519 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I like Asik and think he's GREAT defensively. But for DPOY, I'd give it to Duncan this year.

Asik = 30.0MPG, 11.7RBG, 1.1BPG, 0.6SPG, 2.7PFPG, zero 5 block games.

vs.

Ducan = 30.1MPG, 10RPG, 2.7BPG, 0.8SPG, 1.8PFPG plus SEVERAL 5 block games recently.

Team Statistics

Houston = Defensive Efficiency = 103.8

vs.

San Antonio = 98.7

It's close, but Duncan's re-emergence as a defensive beast has energized San Antonio and kept them from taking a step back. With the injuries you mentioned to the other guys, I'd give the award to Duncan with Asik coming second or third.

Why so Serious? :D

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 946 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

I think Duncan is still a very good defender but I'm not sure about DPoY, the biggest reason the Spurs defense is better than it was last season is because Kawhi Leonard's defense is knocking on the door of the "best perimeter defender in the league" conversation. 

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.” 
    ― Frank Zappa

#4 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 114 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Duncan also has a better defensive team around him and a defensive philosophy. Asik should be in consideration, but I would still give it to Chandler or Duncan. Asik probably is a top 5 DPOY candidate.

#5 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 946 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Houston's defense allows (per 100 possessions):

with Asik: 105 ppg

without Asik: 112.7 ppg

Spurs defense allows (per 100): 

With Duncan: 100.3

Without Duncan: 103.6

With Leonard: 99.1

Wihout Leonard: 104

Grizzlies:

With Gasol: 99.3

Without Gasol: 105.5

Hawks: 

With Smith: 103.8

Without Smith: 107.6

Celtics: 

With Garnett: 100.4

Without Garnett: 107.3

I think a good argument could be made for any of these guys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these stats are perfect, there a variables such as how the back-up player and the second unit performs. For example I believe Brandon Bass is Garnett's back-up, so even though Garnett is an outstanding defender Bass's bad defense makes him look even better than he is. Same could be said about Asik and Greg Smith. So there's definitely some thought to be put into all this. 

― Frank Zappa

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 911 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

One of the things I love about Asik's game is I almost never find myself saying, "what were you doing?!?!?!?!" towards him.  He plays about as close to mistake free on defense as you can.  You can put him on the floor and know exactly what you are going to get every time--plus he is continuing to improve on offense.  I like that when he takes it up he tends to dunk it and not go for a lay-up....if you're 7 feet tall you should only shoot a lay-up to show off--maybe a nice up and under with some english B) .

#7 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 946 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

One of the things I love about Asik's game is I almost never find myself saying, "what were you doing?!?!?!?!" towards him. He plays about as close to mistake free on defense as you can. You can put him on the floor and know exactly what you are going to get every time--plus he is continuing to improve on offense. I like that when he takes it up he tends to dunk it and not go for a lay-up....if you're 7 feet tall you should only shoot a lay-up to show off--maybe a nice up and under with some english B) .

I think Asik needs to work on his soft touches around the rim, maybe a baby hook shot, because I see him attempting wild up and unders and it just doesn't look right for a guy his size to be doing that.

― Frank Zappa

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 1,219 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

I think Asik needs to work on his soft touches around the rim, maybe a baby hook shot, because I see him attempting wild up and unders and it just doesn't look right for a guy his size to be doing that.

I like asik a lot, but he is not DPOY. he may be in the conversation, but others have had more impact.  2016 I agree with you a baby hook may be in order, but the one thing I want to see asik work on more than any other aspect of his game is catching the ball. i'm not as worried about what he does with it after he catches it as I am worried about his inability to catch it sometimes. he needs to work on catching the basketball. I know he will get better with time, but to me this is his #1 problem. I could swear he has butter on his fingers sometimes. a good amount of the rocket turnovers come from him fumbling with the ball. more times than not if he catches it clean he going to do something good with it. it's just getting pass the catching part.

#9 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 946 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

He fumbles alot of passes and gets blocked alot too. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, we knew coming in that he's not a great offensive player. We got him for his defense and honestly I think he does deserve to be in the same defensive consideration as all those guys I mentioned.

― Frank Zappa

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 997 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Regarding his offense, just don't throw him a bounce pass, lol. 

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 911 posts
        • LocationAustin

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Indeed.  Sometimes he seems to have excellent hands...In the Indy game Lin whipped a pass at him as he was rolling through the lane and he caught it just fine.  I do cringe every time he does an up and under...surprising how many of those drop.  I think he is working on that baby hook....around mid-season they were running a couple of plays for him in the post, but they seem to have shelved that for now.

#12 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 946 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

ANDRE IGUODALA, NUGGETS SHOOTING GUARD, +341.43: Matt Moore wrote an insightful piece into the mind of a defensive genius and couldn't have picked a better subject than Iguodala. The new Nugget leader is not only the best defending wing in the game--holding shooting guards and small forwards to 12.5 and 11.9 Player Efficiency Ratings--but he also may be the 2012-13 Defensive Player of the Year, posting a +4.2 defensive RAPM in 35 minutes per game every game.

OMER ASIK, ROCKETS CENTER, +310.64: Asik, who has the NBA's second-best defensive RAPM (+4.9), is showing the world that he is worth every penny of that 3-year, $25 million contract he signed with the Rockets last summer. Asik may be able to win both the DPOY and Most Improved awards after seeing his minutes double to 30 minutes per game this year.

TIM DUNCAN, SPURS CENTER, +294.03: Duncan, who had an NBA-best +5.6 defensive RAPM last season, is in his 16th straight season of defensive domination with a +4.8 defensive RAPM, which ranks third in 2012-13. He blocks shots (2.7 per game), defends pick-and-rolls and anchors the Spurs' D, which now ranks fourth in the NBA.

DWIGHT HOWARD, LAKERS CENTER, +293.31: Even though his back and his shoulder and his new team have messed with his defensive numbers, Howard's +4.4 defensive RAPM and 1494 minutes played have been enough to make the three-time Defensive Player of the Year a DPOY candidate again.

MARC GASOL, GRIZZLIES CENTER, +286.72: Little brother Gasol has been a 7-1, 265-pound space invader on the defensive end and has used his body-up ways to anchor Memphis' second-rated D. He holds opposing centers to a 13.4 PER and defends the pick-and-roll to keep floor balance--everything you want in a 21st Century center.

KEVIN GARNETT, CELTICS CENTER, +286.50: Nobody has a better defensive RAPM (+5.5) than the man who personifies all-around team defense. He defends the pick-and-roll and patrols the paint as well as anyone, even at age 36.

JOAKIM NOAH, BULLS CENTER, +280.31: Noah's continuous all-around improvement on all aspects of defense has been big for Chicago, especially with the team losing key reserve Omer Asik to Houston. The fleet-afoot center blocks 2.1 shots per game (up from 1.4) and posts a great +3.8 defensive RAPM (up from +2.5).

JOSH SMITH, BULLS POWER FORWARD, +266.40: His attitude sometimes get him in trouble, but nobody would ever question his defensive dominance (+4.0 defensive RAPM). What other power forward is versatile enough to play the small forward position and still get 2.2 blocks per game?

PAUL GEORGE, PACERS SHOOTING GUARD, +246.33: Technically, George has logged more minutes at small forward than shooting guard, but with Danny Granger returning to the lineup soon, George will finish the season as the second-best defensive shooting guard in the game, next to Iguodala.

http://www.nba.com/h...2013_02_05.html

Defense is one of those things that is almost impossible to measure with stats, but if I had to choose just one stat I would choose RAPM. Even if I never saw this list and you asked me to name several DPoY canidates, every single player I would mention is among the guys high on this list.

― Frank Zappa

#13 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 519 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

That stat doesn't mean anything at all. Duncan led the league last year and still didn't win it. By itself, it's a meaningless stat because few people who vote on DPOY have faith in it. We all know Asik's in the running, but he won't win it.

Why so Serious? :D

#14 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 997 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Most who have votes have never even heard of RAPM much less have faith in it.  

#15 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 946 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

I'm not saying this stat is the end-all-be-all, I'm just saying there aren't any defensive stats better than this one. Don't base you decision on this stat, just use it to reinforce what you already know.

I know that the DPoY usually goes to a guy who is on a gooddefensive team, so that pretty much rules Asik out unfortunately (and unfairly I feel), I don't like it but I understand that's the way it is. I hear alot of people talking about Marc Gasol and Noah's defense so one of them two might win it, for some reason I feel like Duncan and Garnett will get overlooked even though they deserve it just as much as anyone else. I don't feel like Iguodala will win it either because his team doesn't have a reputation for being a good defensive team even they they have the 11th best defense according to espn.com

― Frank Zappa

#16 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 946 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

On another note, alot of people seem to think Millsap is a bad defender but RAPM suggests otherwise. I've always thought he's an underrated PF but it's nice to have a little reinforcement.

edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Millsap is a great defender, I'm just saying he's not bad. He's undersized and unathletic but his intensity, strength, and smarts make up for that.

― Frank Zappa

#17 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 997 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

^Just to clarify, my comment wasn't meant to demean the metric.  It was meant to demean those who cast the votes.  

#18 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
            • 938 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Merged this topic with the one started only two days ago titled "Asik for Defensive Player of the Year".  Please check to see if there is a topic that your post should be in before starting a new topic.  Thanks

Have a Twitter? Post your info here and have it added to gain more followers and faster Rockets and Red94 news.
              http://www.red94.net...ic/310-twitter/

#19 RocketMan

RocketMan

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 49 posts
              • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I just can't ever imagine giving the award to the best defensive player on the worst defensive team, even if he's the best BY FAR. He's a great asset, and would be more likely to get Most Improved Player than DPOY.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 1,219 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I just can't ever imagine giving the award to the best defensive player on the worst defensive team, even if he's the best BY FAR. He's a great asset, and would be more likely to get Most Improved Player than DPOY.

totally agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users