Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  phaketrash : (02 April 2013 - 03:41 AM) Still quite a risk -- see my thread post lol.
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 03:08 AM) "I was getting pretty close," said McHale about considering putting Asik/Lin back in. Said guys on floor needed to show they can finish.
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 03:07 AM) I was thinking the same thing, but those young guys need to learn. McHale said in an interview today that some guys are getting minutes they don't deserve for development purposes.
@  phaketrash : (02 April 2013 - 02:42 AM) I'm a little surprised he didn't insert more starters back in when it got down to 5. As thenit said, bench looked tired. Lin for Anderson at least.
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 02:40 AM) We had an amazing first half. In the 2nd half alot of our guys got complacent, the ball movement and player movement slowed down.
@  Richards : (02 April 2013 - 02:29 AM) Almost got a heart attack! Geezzz
@  thenit : (02 April 2013 - 02:24 AM) but we had said that the whole season on this forum, but he never does that, it would maximize lin, bev and harden for the benefit of the whole team, oh well we will see. later
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 02:24 AM) Great show. peae
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 02:23 AM) That's the biggest criticism I thi he deserves.
@  thenit : (02 April 2013 - 02:23 AM) later man gonna watch Game of Thrones
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 02:23 AM) Lin should always be on the floor when Harden rests, that's the main thing.
@  thenit : (02 April 2013 - 02:23 AM) overall a good game though, and Mchale gets credit for inserting Smith into the starting lineup.
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 02:22 AM) It's mainly McHale's guard rotation I think he needs improvement on
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 02:22 AM) Oh he wanted to rest Asik
@  thenit : (02 April 2013 - 02:21 AM) its just boneheaded not to sub a couple of the players that were gased,
@  thenit : (02 April 2013 - 02:21 AM) but thats what frustrates the hell out of me, Imagine if Vucevic made that layup and its a 3 point game,
@  2016Champions : (02 April 2013 - 02:19 AM) His rotations need work, but besides that he has been good imo
@  thenit : (02 April 2013 - 02:19 AM) Good play by smith
@  thenit : (02 April 2013 - 02:18 AM) this is why I get so infuriated, not playing the starters. Bev has played 15 straight minutes, D-Mo close to 9 , they are all gasping for air and its a 5 p game
@  thenit : (02 April 2013 - 02:17 AM) I'm not sure why Mchale is being stubborn

Photo

Los Angeles Clippers @ Houston Rockets on 3/30/2013, 7:00pm CST.

31 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

New post: Los Angeles Clippers @ Houston Rockets on 3/30/2013, 7:00pm CST.

#2 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 573 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Paul has not exactly been shooting the ball well lately, averaging a sub .300 percentage from long range in March

Who wants to bet Paul has his best 3pt shooting game in March tonight? 

We will probably see Lin sag in to double Blake alot, and Cp3 will get wide open shots. 

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.” 
    ― Frank Zappa

#3 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 469 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. I wish Coach Mchale would stop making the guards double team every big that gets the ball in the post.

Why so Serious? :D

#4 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 573 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

McHale will probably let D-Mo do what he can without help until he gets into foul trouble as usual, then comes in Delfino who definitely needs help if we don't want Blake to score 50 points.

Another option is to let T-Rob play with the starting unit, I'm guessing floor spacing is the reason McHale hasn't tried this.

Otherwise this will probably be another night where the 2nd unit outplays the 1st unit. 

― Frank Zappa

#5 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 486 posts
    • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Option C. Greg Smith starting to better match up against Blake lol.

#6 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 573 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Greg Smith is actually a better option than T-Rob, he's significantly stronger and more productive. I'm happy with McHale's thinking process here. 

― Frank Zappa

#7 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 486 posts
    • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

What a great feel-good win tonight!

I can taste the Clipper's frustrations from here lol.

#8 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 573 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:35 AM

We played playoff caliber defense, we out muscled them, out hustled them, we fought hard for every rebound and loose ball, our rotations were practically mistake free. That was so awesome to watch after seeing so much of the opposite. If we play defense like this in the playoffs we can definitely cause an upset. 

Offensively, I know we are better with Harden but I have to say I like how our offense flowed better tonight, we didn't dribble in one spot till there's only 5 seconds on the clock before passing to someone who's not even open expecting him to shoot. Instead we were trying to get a good shot with 20 seconds left on the clock, often passing up half-good looks to get an even better look, just beautiful unselfish ball movement. There was one play where I counted 8 quick passes before a wide open Garcia 3, it looked like we was playing a game of hot potato and the Clippers defense was running around like headless chooks trying to rotate. 

― Frank Zappa

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 937 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

playoff caliber defense? your kidding right? the clippers were a tired team coming into this game after a hard fought loss to the spurs. they looked a step slow. it was a great win for us, but lets not blow it out of proportion. remember we rested in our blowout loss. I know harden wasn't playing and the players who were playing should get credit for taking up the slack, but if you saw playoff caliber defense you must have been watching another game.

#10 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 486 posts
    • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

Interesting point that was brought up. As the Rockets have been notoriously bad on the 2nd night of b2bs, and LAC very good, I have to give props to McHale for benching the starters last night so that they'd be rested for this game. Sure, the bench gave us the real spark, but I approved of the move both for the rest and for the message (don't play like crap starters! effort needed!) -- tonight, they all came out with 110% effort.

I will say that it is probably a little bit of both. Our effort level and defense stepped it up, but LAC really imploded. It was ridiculous watching them and how frustrated they got. The calls and stuff got into their heads.

#11 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
    • 324 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 98, Los Angeles Clippers 81: I think we’re going to the playoffs.

#12 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 573 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

Yep, like Phaketrash said the LAC have been very good on b2b's (12-6 coming into this game), and you wouldn't have guessed that watching after what we saw tonight. I'm not saying we shouldn't put any salt on this win at all, put a little salt on but don't just scoff it off like we didn't do anything. I think almost every Rockets fan expected us to get blown out without Harden, but then we're the ones who do the blowing out and all of a sudden it's no big deal. There's some really questionable Rockets fans out there I have to say, my apologies if it angers them to hear me say this was a great win but that's just how I see it.

― Frank Zappa

#13 Richards

Richards

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 70 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:44 AM

Only different in this game was very good ball movement. Blow out win over Clippers with nobody scoring more than 15 points was total shocker. 

I wonder how many times McHale used the word "ball movement" today even after the game.

#14 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 573 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

The whole season McHale has been preaching to move the ball like a hot potato and play gritty defense. This was one of those games where the players actually applied his lessons, but watch us forget these lessons at least 2 more games this season to put us down around 20 points before we wake up and make a come back victory.

― Frank Zappa

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 937 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

McHale has been doing a lot of things, but preaching ain't one of them :lol:

#16 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 573 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

I've been watching all the post game interviews, and just based on the things the players and McHale have said, I can tell you you're wrong. 

― Frank Zappa

#17 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 373 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Is RBF RedStewie?

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 937 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Is RBF RedStewie?

NO..... I'm not. are you?

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 937 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

I've been watching all the post game interviews, and just based on the things the players and McHale have said, I can tell you you're wrong. 

I've watched those same interviews, and have on occasion seen some mention it, but I have not seen a steady parade of this idea being pushed. most of what I hearing relates to focus and energy, not ball movement and gritty defense 

#20 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 573 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Geez do you want me to find every time he mentioned it? That's alot of work but I'll find a few. 

Quote after the recent Pacer's game:

“We’re a little more read and react,” McHale said. “It’s systemic to our team
          not moving the ball, not moving bodies enough, just being a little bit stagnant"

Quote after the Grizzlies game:

“We had bad spacing, and we weren’t moving the ball,” McHale said. “We
          weren’t moving the defense. They just locked us down. It’s been three games of
          that. They’re going to really run at James and try to get the ball out of his
          hands. We’re going to have to adjust to that and play with more movement earlier
          in the clock."

During the game:

Coach Kevin McHale shouted “Move it! Move it! Move it!” Again, no one did. (link)

Quote during the 7 game losing streak:

"We have to play with pace. We have to move the ball. The ball can't get sticky.
          It's got to go from side to side." (link)

December:

After the game, Kevin McHale called the ball "sticky" as the Rockets tried to
          run their offensive sets, basically saying there wasn't enough ball
          movement. (link)

After the Wizards game:

"Yeah, we were sticky again tonight," Rockets coach Kevin McHale said. "We didn't
          have great movement and our spacing got a little bit funky. We chased the ball a
          little too much." (link)

Alot of talk about ball movement again here after the Hornets game

After the Nuggets game:

"We're not cutting, the ball's sticky, it's just a lot of stuff we've got to
          correct," McHale said. "We've got to get better at ball movement, we've got to
          get better ball and body movement." (link)

and I shouldn't need to remind you there was a lot of praise from McHale about the ball movement after the Clippers game since it was so recent. I can easily find several more but I think you should do that since you're the "Rockets best fan" or so you claim...

― Frank Zappa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users