Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Paul Millsap

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

If the rumors are true that Morey likes him there must be a good reason. From what I see, the Jazz run most of their offense through Jefferson while Millsap gets alot of his points within the flow of the game. He spots up well, makes timely cuts to the basket, offensive put backs, can take advantage of a mismatch off the dribble or in the post (as we witnessed last night), can defend, passes well in traffic, gets a good amount of transition baskets despite Utah's slow pace. Everything considered I think he's a good fit. 

p.s. Is there any proof Utah tried to move Millsap and couldn't? Because I was under the impression that they purposely didn't want to lose him, I remember John Hollinger in particular being very surprised Utah didn't do anything.  

#42 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

They wanted a stud PG...nobody gives up a stud PG for an undersized PF.

#43 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

My guess is that Morey's potential interest in Millsap is posturing and mis-direction for the other GM's and agents.  If they know Morey's true intent they gain the upper hand.

#44 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

They wanted a stud PG...nobody gives up a stud PG for an undersized PF.

So they were asking for too much? You guys were giving me the impression Jazz tried to get rid of him and couldn't. I suggested we can give Millsap up for a high 2nd round pick--not a stud pg. 

And I get the feeling you're looking down on Millsap because of his height. I'm sure you know there have been plenty of very good PF's in the past who were undersized, and you should also know having a center like Asik negates alot of that size (or lack thereof). 

Also, Morey doesn't come across as the type of guy who plays mind games, he might with-hold information but to assume he is deliberately spreading false rumors seems a little silly to me. 

#45 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

It's not a feeling....I am concerned about his height.  He has excelled offensively playing alongside Jefferson and Kanter.  I think you overrate his defense.

I have openly stated my praise for Millsap and applaud everything he has accomplished--still don't want him.

Asik does help on the defensive end...but not much as he isn't a great help defender.  He doesn't give much help on offense for Millsap either.  I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

I think you are also under-estimating Morey...it's not mind games...it's high stakes poker.

I acknowledge that my statement is nothing but conjecture.

#46 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

I heard somewhere that the reason Utah didn't trade Millsap was that they were making a push for that playoff spot, and even though they are going through a rough patch, it seemed like a good idea at the moment, having so many bigs to overpower the opposition in the paint, specially because he is more skilled than Favors and Kanter. Maybe they were looking for a stud PG, but that's just greedy, Millsap isn't worth that much to me.

#47 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

It definitely looks like I have the minority opinion here. It has been a good discussion though. 

#48 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Your original comment works under the premise that I see Millsap as a good signing solely because of some flawed logic, but as I stated in one of my posts on this thread, Millsap is statistically one of the best PF's in this league--this is the main reason I think he's a good signing. PF is our weakest position and he's one of the best PF's in the league or not far from it, and the fact he will be a bargain at 12m is merely a bonus we can feel fortunate about. This fortunate bonus might also allow us to sign another player.

As for your preferred route, I think our chances of getting Bosh or Melo are about as unlikely as Dwight and Cp3 so I never even considered that an option. Although I do understand your notion that we should take the gamble since we can afford to lose, and I'm not entirely against that idea.

I had meant to only specifically point out the flawed argument used in that one comment. The other ones, or the overall premise, might be sound. 

On the other issue, I do think our collective chance at signing someone better than Millsap in 2014 is high, but I understand what you mean by asking, who exactly? Relying solely on the idea of signing someone better should not grant as much solace as it probably does for many Rockets fans right now haha.

Wrong thread, and I am well behind in the other one, but is it possible to sign JSmoove and Mayo? Maybe one will agree to do it for slightly less -- it has happened before w/ better players :P 

And anyone have a decently close figure of what the first yr of a max contract for JSmoove would be?

#49 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

J.Smith would make roughly $16M in his first year on a max deal--I am pretty sure on that--feel free to verify.

#50 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Milsap has been a stud and the Jazz's best player since Deron Williams left.  Last night he looked awful against us, but I still think he is a good to great PF who shoots with range and competes defensively.  But I think the strongest argument against getting him is that we already have his rookie clone in Thomas Robinson.  I'm not sure Milsap would be interested in the two or three year deal the Rockets would want him to sign.

#51 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,182 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Millsap is recovering from an injury, so that pretty much rules any estimations of his worth or level of play derived from Wednesday's game invalid, as far as I'm concerned.

The main argument I'm reading against Millsap is that if you're going for him you may as well get Josh Smith for 3-4 million more. I'm not sure I agree with this. Looking forwards, we currently have $39M in guaranteed salary for the '13/'14 season. Let's conservatively assume that the cap stays where it is for the next two years at 58M (I suspect in fact it will increase slightly). That would give the following scenarios:

Option 1: Sign Smith.

In '13/'14, $39M + $16M for Smith = $55M. That leaves $3M, but we'll pick up the options on Parsons and probably Delfino which will use all that up.

In '14/'15, $31M + $16M for Smith = $47M. Leaves ~$11M for free agents/picking up options. That's a reasonable chunk of space, but not enough to sign a max free agent.

Option 2: Sign Millsap. (NB. I'm using the assumption that Millsap will get ~$12M. I've no idea where that number came from other than it's being floated around in this thread. Is there a source for it?)

In '13/'14, $39M + $12M for Millsap = $51M. Leaves $7M to play around with, which is enough to pick up all the team options Morey wants to keep and even pick up a veteran FA if he has a mind to.

In '14/'15, $31M + $12M for Millsap = $43M. Leaves $15M in cap space with which it would just about be possible to make a play for another max free agent! Would involve renouncing rights to some of our current rookies, but by that point we'll have a much better idea of which of them is going to pan out and can pick and choose accordingly.

So based on that, I don't see that the $4M is necessarily small change - it could make a big difference a couple of years down the line. Signing Millsap to less than the maximum gives us a very good player to try and make a run next year, and if we find that he's not enough we can aim to add another strong player the following season.

ST

#52 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 702 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

ST: That 12 million for Millsap and the 15 for another max would leave us with 0 chance of re-signing Lin, Parsons or Asik, luckily, we'll sign only one of them, so....I say no to Millsap precisely because of the future implications.

#53 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

What's wrong with trading Smith or Millsap away 2 years from now? We could simply trade them away for a 2nd round pick which is an absolute bargain for the other team/s involved, or we could get a little package like the one Grizzlies got for Rudy Gay. How many people here seriously think they will be unmovable assets?

#54 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 702 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

No, they won't be unmovable, but won't bring us a star. I mean....the plan, right now is to develop this group and add a superstar via free agency (Morey's plan A) or develop this group so they become valuable assets in order to flip them with some picks for a star or borderline, a la Harden (Morey's plan B ). This is just a personal opinion, but if we give them that kind of money and they don't pan out or they fail to make us contender (which I think they will, more Millsap than Smith), we won't be able to get the kind of player we are looking for in order to get us close to win a ring.

I could be wrong, but I could be right, we'll see.

#55 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'm starting to like the idea hoping we get lucky in 2014. We have been playing great with D-Mo and obviously he will get better and more consistent and so will the team, so that makes me think we shouldn't get Millsap or Josh Smith. I think the chances of us getting a superstar or an all-star via FA is very unlikely, but we're already in such a good position that we can afford to roll the dice. 

#56 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

What do you guys think of Kelly Olynyk. We'd probably have to trade up to around 13-16 to get him, but I like him. He could be our new backup center. Unless we all think Smith can improve a lot in the offseason...

Why so Serious? :D

#57 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

What do you guys think of Kelly Olynyk. We'd probably have to trade up to around 13-16 to get him, but I like him. He could be our new backup center. Unless we all think Smith can improve a lot in the offseason...

I think he's a stud, trading up for him won't be easy or cheap. I heard Morey was recently in Europe scouting Giannis Adetokunbo who looks like he could be a steal in the mid 20's. 

#58 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

@ST

I think you raise a great point, but isn't that $4M we save worth more than $4M (or arguably more "valuable") because you think it is the difference between us signing another max player or not? If not, the $11M would be enough. 

Thing is, I don't think we could sign another max player anyways. While strictly looking at the bottom line, we could afford to, that is under the assumption that we essentially gut our roster. We won't have max money regardless in 2014 under either scenario because we'd have to dedicate a significant portion of that to signing role players, even if they are cheap ones.

For example, in 2014/2015, that $31M before signing Millsap for $12M? Just the salaries of Lin + Asik + Harden. That's it. Sign another max for $15M and we're at near cap with only 5 players on our roster.

This is all without even touching on the possibility of re-signing Lin or Asik the following season, as ale mentioned.

#59 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

I think he's a stud, trading up for him won't be easy or cheap. I heard Morey was recently in Europe scouting Giannis Adetokunbo who looks like he could be a steal in the mid 20's. 

Yeah. Morey went out of the way to only go scout him on that trip.

#60 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

Sure, that's exactly what I meant. 

And if I say something like "T-Rob played well tonight" you might as well assume I mean only T-Rob played well. Right? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users