Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Paul Millsap

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

He has been great all season. I chose this game against OKC because it's a respectable opponent and he got in done in a wide variety of ways, he really brings alot to the table.

career stats: http://www.basketbal.../millspa01.html

He can handle the ball, he can pass, he runs the floor, spaces the floor, plays defense, makes smart decisions, can post up and finish at a high rate. You can make a very sound argument that he's an overall better player than Josh Smith, and on top of that there's a good chance we can get him for alot less than Smith will go for.

Discuss.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

I really can't say anything bad about him--the one knock seems to be his size, but he doesn't let that hold him back.  My concern is where does he fit?  I like Smith because he can play SF or PF and can defend anyone from a PG to a PF.

Millsap would take either D-Mo or T-robs place and while I believe they need time I feel like Millsap would eat up most of the minutes they could play.  Does D-mo become the back up center?  If he can pull that off then I am liking this more.

Millsap's cheaper contract is appealing....does it leave enough room for Mayo or someone like him?

I think he makes us better for sure....but how does he handle the Tim Duncans, Blake Griffins, Serge Ibakas, and such of the world over a 7 game series once it's playoff time?  His defensive ratings in the playoffs are atrocious.

#3 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

He's a good player, but he is not a better player than smith. Of course his shot selection is a bit better, that's about it. And I we were going for a prototypical PF like millsap, David West would be better.

Why so Serious? :D

#4 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I would not mind bringing in another good player, but my concerns mirror JG's - where do DMo and TRob find their minutes?

The only thing I can think of is having DMo back up Parsons at the 3.  Euro guys tend to be more geared towards this position, anyway (see Dirk), and he has the athleticism.  If he gets a bit more consistant with the 3-ball, I think that could work.

#5 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

All points taken. My real concern is that he is going to get paid big bucks....there's always a Charlotte-like team waiting to offer him lots of money just because he is a star compared to their current roster. I'm not willing to spend too much money on him. He doesn't truly have a flaw in his game, but he is not a game changer or someone who will push us close to the promised land.

#6 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

He has the 5th best PER among PF's, so just based on the statistics and what I've seen he's arguably one of the best PF's in the league. http://insider.espn....s/_/position/pf

Considering how we really need a PF because D-Mo and T-Rob aren't ready, 12m for a PF of this quality is actually a really good price. If the Bobcats offer him more then let him go to the Bobcats, no harm no foul. 

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

And David West is 6th. He also plays pretty good defense if you go by the eye test. I've watched quite a few Jazz games where Millsap and Jefferson played ZERO defense all game long. Here's West's numbers.

Advanced Statistics     OffRtg DefRtg NetRtg OREB% DREB% REB% AST% ASTRatio TORatio eFG% TS% Usg%   Totals 103.3 95.2 8.1 6.2% 19.6% 13.2% 9.5% 10.7 8.24 44.6% 50.2% 20.9%

Here's Millsap's numbers

Advanced Statistics     OffRtg DefRtg NetRtg OREB% DREB% REB% AST% ASTRatio TORatio eFG% TS% Usg%   Totals 105.1 105.1 .0 8.6% 20.0% 14.2% 14.6% 14.3 9.44 49.7% 55.3% 23.2%

They're pretty close offensively, but not that great defensively. Of course you have to go with more of an eye test on defense, because some of that defensive rating number deals with the team as a whole.

#8 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

West and Millsap are both good defenders, not as good as Josh Smith but still above average. They both move their feet well, both hustle up and down the floor, both strong and know how to use low center gravity to keep their man from getting a favorable position, box out, rotate well, disrupt passes into the post by being active, really solid all around. I really wouldn't mind having either player, but the thing about West is that he will be 33 years old, and if 23 year olds are getting tired running our pace how tired will a 33 year old get? 

#9 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

True, but Josh Smith won't have that problem. Both West AND Millsap will. I like Millsap, but I don't know if him eating 12-14 million of our cap space(which is what he'll command), is a good thing. Josh Smith is a great defender, and can play both the 3 and the 4. He's versatile. He also has a three point shot which both of those guys don't have. So if it's a choice between Millsap at 12-14 and Smith at 13-16 I 'll take Smith. If we could get Millsap for 8, then I'm all for it.

#10 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

True, but Josh Smith won't have that problem. Both West AND Millsap will. I like Millsap, but I don't know if him eating 12-14 million of our cap space(which is what he'll command), is a good thing. Josh Smith is a great defender, and can play both the 3 and the 4. He's versatile. He also has a three point shot which both of those guys don't have. So if it's a choice between Millsap at 12-14 and Smith at 13-16 I 'll take Smith. If we could get Millsap for 8, then I'm all for it.

I'm more aligned with TTDN on this one. Depends on the price. Don't get me wrong -- I think all of us in here love Millsap. His personality and scrappiness and willingness to work hard is also very Rockets-like. JSmoove doesn't seem to have that type of personality. But for a few million difference, I'd rather have JSmooth. 

#11 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Here's a couple of great articles about Paul "the PF terminator" Millsap http://www.slcdunk.c...rkable-shooting

#12 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Draft express has a nice scouting report on him that's still very relevant despite being written in 2009: http://www.draftexpr...ul-Millsap-299/

#13 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

We like him, we just don't want to overpay for him. Those are good articles, but I still would rather have Josh Smith at that price than Millsap.

#14 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, I think what Morey is thinking is that he will get one of those 2 players. He will probably make Josh Smith an offer first, and if Josh doesn't like it then he will go after Millsap. And if he doesn't get Millsap then he won't get anyone until 2014. That's the impression I got from what I've heard.  

#15 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Same here. I just hope he doesn't overpay for Millsap.  That 12-14 mil a year for 4 years would not be great for our team. I don't think he puts us above SAS or OKC or DEN or LAC or even MEM. I think everybody on this team currently will improve apart from Delfino(I think he's peaked), and unless they just improve so dramatically that Parsons, Lin, and Asik become fringe all-stars next year, we won't compete for a championship with adding Millsap. I think we're realistically 2-3 years out from Parsons, Lin, and Asik becoming fringe all-stars.

#16 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

From a statistical standpoint I don't see any reason why Millsap doesn't deserve all-star caliber money. There are all-star caliber players getting the max, so if we can get one for 12m we should be grateful. 

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Millsap has added 3 pt. range to his game this year.  He is shooting 33%...a hair below average.  He would be great for the locker room and as a mentor for Robinson and all of our players.  I'm not sure the same can be said for J. Smith.....still, Millsap at $12M or Smith at $16M?  That's tough.  I'm still leaning Smith.

#18 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Me too.

#19 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Millsap has added 3 pt. range to his game this year.  He is shooting 33%...a hair below average.  He would be great for the locker room and as a mentor for Robinson and all of our players.  I'm not sure the same can be said for J. Smith.....still, Millsap at $12M or Smith at $16M?  That's tough.  I'm still leaning Smith.

Agreed, and I too have appreciated the fact that Millsap is developing a 3pter this season. I read a great article a few months back (pretend it is cited here) about how nearly every season Millsap works hard and learning something new...making himself noticeably better at some x skill. Kind of reminds me of LBJ, except LBJ does it in an otherworldly sort of way.

But yes, $12M for Millsap vs. $16M for Smith, I would lean Smith two in this hypo (where those are our only 2 choices).

#20 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

From a statistical standpoint I don't see any reason why Millsap doesn't deserve all-star caliber money. There are all-star caliber players getting the max, so if we can get one for 12m we should be grateful. 

I have to disagree with this line of logic though. Sure, there are players out there who get more/the max and might deserve it less than Millsap, but that isn't a great argument for why we should then pay Millsap that amount and be grateful about it. That is essentially saying there are those who are overpaid, thus we should be grateful in overpaying Millsap as we are overpaying slightly less than some other teams have for slightly less skilled players haha.

The real crux of the matter is how much can we afford to pay and still be in the position we want to be in. Maybe Millsap does deserve all star money or whatever -- issue is we can't give up that flexibility and pay him that amount. It isn't about what he deserves as much as it is about what we can afford. If we were already nearly in contention or in contention but shy one piece from topping the Heat...and had the same cap room, I'd say blow all of it on Millsap and give him the max if it would take us over the hill and win a championship. Sadly, we aren't in that situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users