Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

What about scenarios involving two free agents?

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

Yeah, the Denver trade is a bit of a stretch.  I know they like Miller, but the chance to get a young PG that fits their system while shedding Miller's 3 years at $5M might be tempting.  It's worth making a phone call :) .

#182 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Stephen:

thanks for the information of sac draft history. looks pretty bad doesn't it? :blink: I also agree with the lin trade idea as the one place where he would  be in the most demand, but like phaketrash I wonder what we will be able to get for him? phaketrash's point about the maloof's being gone will make it harder simply because no other owner is going to be as dumb as they are. maybe lin combined with 1 of our PF could get cousins? I also have to disagree on cousins. this kid has never been taught how to be a pro. there is no one in sac to guide him. he's 22 years old. still time to mold him (IMO)

Not to get off topic, but I'm really curious about what you guys think about this. Anyone think this offseason, Utah would agree to a Lin + TRob S&T for Millsap? If so, would you do it, ASSUMING we got CP3? Or would your second move be different? (I imagine Lin would have to be moved)

NO.....not even if cp3 was already on the roster. t-rob will be a bigger better version of milsap (IMO). he's younger and on a better contract. if we got cp3 I would trade lin and delfino for a better player to play delfino's 6th man role.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#183 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

There is no way we can have both Lin and Paul, it would be too much money tied to the PG position. Half of our cap would be on that position or close to it. If we somehow get Paul, we should trade Lin for anything just to free up the cap space. Doesn't really need anything of value, maybe a veteran player and a draft pick.

#184 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

We have the luxury of tying up that much money in the PG position because we have so many other good players on cheap contracts.  It would only be for 2 years and then Lin's contract is up and we can re-evaluate.  Having two PG's of that caliber has a lot of value.  We are lucky in that we don't have a position of need (except maybe a wing defender--although Parsons remembered that's him last night vs. Indy)....not saying it is the best use of our salary cap, but it isn't a terrible plan either given the situation.

As for Cousins--OK, I will concede that he may be salvageable and that his age combined with his situation are the problem.  So, what are we talking here?  Are  we trading for him?  And if so, what's the cost?  Are we waiting until 2014 FA and signing him?  Again, what does he command on the open market?  He is a big risk, (not royce white big) that will cost us in assets one way or the other...what's worth gambling on him?  Personally, I can't envision offering much since not only is there a strong chance he is a bust, but he has the potential to take the whole team down with him by ruining our chemistry, eating up cap space, etc.  The whole thing scares me right now :unsure:

#185 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Reading the recent few posts, I almost feel like moving Lin if we had CP3 might make the most sense (although I think keeping him for a bit might be interesting too, just to see how he does against most other 2nd units), but not for Millsap or even Cousins -- I liked what RBF mentioned: maybe a solid 6th man wing player, like Mayo or something. 

#186 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

That is why I liked my trade with Denver.  It gets us a veteran back-up PG familiar with a similar style of play while also netting us their third string SF which I think is a diamond in the rough.  Seems like a win-win.

#187 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,122 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

right now cousins can be had for pennies on the dollar. cousins is a superstar talent. bigs are a premium in the league so you got to grab them when available. I agree Denver has a full stable of SF's who are bursting with talent. however a good center who can score will mean mismatches with more teams in the league. very few can match a team with a good center. No you don't need a center to win the championship, but it sure does make it easier. if cousin can be had for lin and spare parts that's the trade I would pursue.  cousins being feed by cp3 with a helping of harden...... sounds like a contender to me.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#188 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

If the Kings don't trade Cousins we can just wait until 2014 and pick him off via FA without giving anything up.

#189 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,122 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

If the Kings don't trade Cousins we can just wait until 2014 and pick him off via FA without giving anything up.

problem is he will be restricted so they can match any offer which I think they will instead of losing him for nothing

#190 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

I want to believe he just needs a better environment--I really, really do.  What if they ask for T-Rob back in trade????  Could we even do that?  Aren't there rules about waiting a year or something?

#191 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

When we do get rid of T-Rob or D-Mo or Terrence Jones I hope it's in a package that brings us a potential top 10 player who Morey feels very confident about. I don't think Cousins is that guy but the potential is definately there.

Things I don't like about Cousins:

Maturity 

42% fg on isolations while turning the ball over 12.4% of the time

40.7% fg on post-ups while turning the ball over 16.4% of the time

35.9% on spot up shooting

Doesn't run back on defense

Thinks I like about Cousins:

He gets alot of transition baskets for a guy his size (although I'm not sure how many of those comes from cherry picking)

Cuts to the basket pretty well

Gets alot of offensive put backs

Can play good defense when he tries

#192 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think he's still restricted that year.

#193 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Assuming they resign Isiah Thomas and Tyreke, is it possible we could pry Cousins away with a huge poison pill contract?

#194 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Assuming Cousins improves even a tiny bit next year, he'll get the MAX from several teams.

Why so Serious? :D

#195 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Assuming they resign Isiah Thomas and Tyreke, is it possible we could pry Cousins away with a huge poison pill contract?

Poison pill contracts only work on second rounders who become restricted FA after their second year. Due to the Gilbert Arenas rule, you can only offer them $5M each of the first two years. Then the following year you can offer the max if you want.

#196 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

Good info, thanks. 

#197 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 891 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

Bringing some love back to JSmoove. Just read this insightful article about him, for those that may have also had questions about his maturity level, etc.

http://espn.go.com/n...ward-josh-smith

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users