Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Where will Lin be next year?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

For reference, here are Beverley's fg% numbers over the past 30 days:

53% in the paint (9-17)

75% mid-range (3-4)

45% three pointers (13-29)

Total # of shots: 50

If he can sustain that level of performance we're looking at Lebron-level efficiency....I think it is safe to say he will eventually come back to Earth.

By contrast, Jeremy Lin's fg% over the past 30 days:

48% in the paint (32-67)

33% mid-range (11-33)

49% three pointers (16-33)

Total # of shots: 133

All in all, I'd like to wait until Beverley gets a larger sample size.....and Lin needs to cut out the long 2's.  We are getting excellent guard play right now.

#22 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Lin has made 16 of his last 33 trey's?! Wow that's awesome!

#23 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

I just took a look at Lin's statistical splits and noticed something pretty cool about Lin's 3pt shooting.

November - 26%

December - 29%

January - 33%

February - 42%

And in March so far he's 2 for 2. It's great to see him improving so rapidly and consistently in an area which has been my largest concern for Lin and how he fits in with this team.

#24 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

The last 3 games he's also played 26, 33, 26 minutes. So he's getting less PT while playing better....

Why so Serious? :D

#25 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Maybe the threat of losing his starting role has got him spending more hours in the gym.

#26 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

I don't think a few more hours in the gym would affect his percentages that much. If it was, ANYBODY could have a good shot.

#27 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

Players get hot sometimes, it's not like he's going to be a 40% 3pt shooter from here on out, but the fact is he has been gradually improving and that's a great sign.

#28 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

I agree, but I think he's been working hard the entire season and wasn't coasting earlier.

#29 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

I think Lin will still be in Houston but somehow will end up being a backup. This is on the assumption that Mchale runs the team.

Mchale has a short leash on Lin, and it seems like despite him shooting 48%fg and 49% on 3pt in the past 30days, and his turnovers has dipped to 2.5 per game in february. Somehow he doesn't earn Mchale's trust to play through rough patches in games. One bad turnover or decision it feels like Lin will get an earful from Mchale or get taken out.

Lin hasn't played like an allstar but he has been working on his shots and turnovers, and improved througout the seasons, but it seems like everytime a reporter asks Mchale about Lin. At first, when McHale would downplay all the Linsanity questions from interviewers, I thought he was trying to protect Lin from all the overblown expectations from the media for how Lin will do in Houston.
    And I still think that’s a part of it. But I’ve also come to realize that it’s because McHale is really annoyed with the media for continuing
    to talk about Linsanity. And I think this annoyances sometimes carries over to when interviewers ask him any questions about Lin–even if it has
    nothing to do with Linsanity. I think whatever attention that Lin gets from the media annoys McHale. This is why McHale doesn’t really mention
    Lin in his interviews unless he really feels the need to. For example, in McHale’s post game interview for the Warriors game (in Houston), a
    reporter asked McHale about Lin’s performance specifically and McHale flat out didn’t answer the question and went on to talk about the team
    and didn’t say anything about Lin. This is the game that Lin scored 28points or so and had, perhaps, his best offensive game of the season! I
    thought that was pretty telling that McHale wouldn’t give Lin props. McHale just sees Lin as a player who was over-hyped in a big market.
    McHale is clearly a Lin Doubter and I think he felt like Lin was forced upon him by Les and wasn't his choice. I think he is somewhat annoyed that we didn't keep dragic. Lin hasn't gotten the benefit of the doubt, its like 1 strike and you are out.

Beverley has shown glimpses but he doesn't really iniate a lot of the offense on half court, and I don't think he can keep that intensity if you play 30-35 minutes a game as a starter. He is a perfect backup, and if he is playing well I actually don't mind him closing games if he is hot and Lin has an off night. Also keep in mind that he is usually playing against the backups so it will be harder for him to defend eg. Paul or Westbrook for extended minutes with that kind of intensity. BUt in a close game he is the best option if we need defence.

I think Lin will end up being a backup unless Mchale gets fired which I don't think will happen because if we make the playoffs, you can't really fire him, but to be honest, I think its the players that done it, he doesn't really coach. We don't have set plays, and our defense hasn't improved. The players are the reaason we have done well. I don't think Mchale is a great coach, he hasn't been able to improve our defense, I almost think we are getting worse. But its hard to fire a coach that has a team that was predicted to finish in the lotteries.

Just stating that fact that for Lin to be succesful he will need to win Mchales trust, which is a tall task imo, and he won't be traded unless its in the 3rd year and teams want the expiring contract. Most teams won't be high on him

#30 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

What team are you watching??? The Rocket's current model is based almost entirely on the drive-and-kick game, with Lin and Harden penetrating and then passing out to shooters. Driving and passing are EXACTLY the skills that the current offensive scheme requires of its point guard. The most important, by a country mile. There is no basis in reality to anything you just said.

ST

Sir Thursday hit it right on the nail with his analysis of the Rockets and Jeremy Lin. By the how many, how many out there realize the Rockets don't have any set plays? None, nada! However, pick and roll with Harden, Lin or Parsons starting that play is effective because each can drive to the bucket and finish or assist on the play. Drive and kick, the same thing with these 3 guys.

For sure, Lin will be in Houston and starting next year. The Rockets have invested in Harden, Lin and Asik and along with Parsons these are your 4 core players and none are going anywhere (well, except maybe for a trade for Durant, LeBron, Chris Paul, etc.----but no way should the Rockets move any of these guys for a Josh Smith, that guy is a brick thrower and if he can't be more efficient a shooter by this time in his career, no way he ever will be an effective outside shooter).

One final point, Jeremy Lin will be a gym rat this summer and I would wager he comes back next season with a much more effective shooting touch from outside. That is the one glaring area of his game that needs improvement and shooting is something most players can improve on over time with enough effort. Kyle Lowry had a horrible outside shot his first season and a half as a Rocket but really came on strong afterwards after becoming a gym rat for a time. That's one of those immeasureable attributes of any player, how devoted they are to improving their game in the offseason. Josh Smith by contrast is pretty much the same brick thrower he's always been and hasn't taken the initiative to improve that part of his game. Why on earth should the Rockets give such a player a big contract?

#31 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I agree, I think it's pretty unlikely Morey will give Josh Smith the max and there will probably be at least a couple of teams out there dumb enough to. I also believe Lin will improve as a shooter but I'm not sure that will be enough, because Lin is set to make 14 million in 2015/2016 while Beverley is set to make less than a million. So considering their contracts and how well Beverley has been playing, it doesn't make much sense to keep Lin, that 14m could be used to lure in another superstar via FA.

#32 PKM

PKM

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 124 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

I agree, I think it's pretty unlikely Morey will give Josh Smith the max and there will probably be at least a couple of teams out there dumb enough to. I also believe Lin will improve as a shooter but I'm not sure that will be enough, because Lin is set to make 14 million in 2015/2016 while Beverley is set to make less than a million. So considering their contracts and how well Beverley has been playing, it doesn't make much sense to keep Lin, that 14m could be used to lure in another superstar via FA.

I simply cannot believe, almost eight months after we signed Jeremy Lin, that there are people who still think that Lin will have a cap hit of 14 million.  I cannot believe it.

I've hit Lin fairly hard and have criticized him, but the only way he isn't the starting PG next year is on the miraculous chance that CP3 comes here.  I've also stated that I am extremely annoyed with the "McHale hates Lin" junk as well.

#33 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,298 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

McHale is really annoyed with the media for continuing
        to talk about Linsanity.

And can you blame him? Reporters are inherently annoying and most of them ask inane questions so to continue with Linsanity related questions must be unbearable. Reality check, how anyone in the Rockets organization deals with reporters has not so much to do with the truth as it does with perception. To McHale this is a team and I would guess he resents and/or gets annoyed when reporters focus on a player. Heck, Lin is probably annoyed by Linsanity questions. I find that crap annoying as a Rockets fan. Does anyone still care about Linsanity?

To the topic, Lin will be here unless his contract is needed to make a trade work. I would guess Morey, McHale and Alexander want Lin on the Rockets since he fits the present offensive scheme and the spirit of youth that both seem to be part of the culture. He fits in just fine.
        How sweet it is!

#34 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 671 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Look just because you believe Mchale doesn't like/trust lin doesnt mean thats there is nothing to it. I've been a Rockets fan since T-Mac got here. Lin is an average starter at the moment, but he is basically in his rookie season since he only had about 25 games of starts and a few spot games here and there the first few years. My opinion is that this team probable will make the 7th or 8th seed, but we arent going anywhere. Why not let Lin play through the good and bad times, at least we will have him develop and eventually find out what he will be for us. Worst thing that could happen is that we let the kid go and he goes on to a team average 18p and 8 ass somewhere else. In that 25 game stretch he showed what his ceiling his, and thats pretty high. We should just see if he can develop next to Harden, before we dump him.

I think rahat agrees that Mchale seems not to trust or like him. Because Lin was forced on him.

#35 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,298 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

I have no idea if McHale likes or trusts Lin. I also don't understand why it keeps coming up that Lin might be moved. My opinions are not based on Rahat's opinions so I am not sure what the point of that is. Look I respect your right to your opinion but the fact that Lin plays 33 minutes a game tells me he and McHale are just fine which is always secondary to how the team is doing. I am a Rockets fan.

(Parker and Paul both average 33 minutes a game just like Lin. Just throwing a fact out there.)
          How sweet it is!

#36 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,596 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

A lot of the games those teams play end up in blowouts, so they sit the entire fourth quarter a few times. That skews the stats. Just throwing a fact out there. Also, I don't mind him riding the hot hand, but that shows the lack of trust he has in Lin. If Bledsoe was hot, does CP3 stay out of the game in a close game? If Mills gets hot, how about Parker? While Lin is nowhere near that stratosphere yet, it does show me Mchales' views on Lin. All of this is just our opinions, and the fact that it keeps coming up, is that a lot of people have the opinion that he might be moved. No need to get so angry or defensive sonic.

#37 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,298 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Sorry but I am in no way angry. In fact I am hanging out with my kid watching cartoons and in a pretty good mood. Even a quick read through the posts on this topic would show that there are a few other forum members who think this scenario where Lin might get traded because Beverly has a few good games is laughable. And when you put some facts up about minutes in blowouts for Lin, Parker, and Paul your assertions might have some weight or be completely wrong. Come on guys I would hope no one is getting angry about this stuff, it's just that the harping on made up Lin related subjects for no good reason is unnecessary.
          How sweet it is!

#38 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Here's my thoughts, which I think have held fairly consistent throughout the year, except for maybe the last one:

1. I think the team is at its best when Lin is given freedom.  This even includes times when he's on the floor with Harden.  This is simply because Harden is just as effective off the catch and Lin is dangerous at frantic speeds.  
            2. This is rarely the case, though.  Lately, it almost seems like even Beverley is given more freedom than Lin.  Notice that when Beverley is on the court with Harden, Beverley is the point guard.  I don't know if McHale just doesn't trust Lin.  I don't know the reason so I won't speculate.
            3. As a shooting guard, Lin becomes almost useless.
            4. I think if the Rockets front office knew they were getting Harden, they might have done things differently (re: Dragic v. Lin), though that player option on Dragic still probably would have ended up prohibitive.  
            5. I think Lin will come back with a better jumpshot next year.  Shooting is the easiest thing to improve.  And by all accounts, Lin is a hard worker.  I think that while he said he was practicing last summer, maybe after "Linsanity", he didn't realize what his flaws were.  He was a pretty good jump shooter off the dribble so he didn't know how broken his shot was, for set shooting.  This summer, I think he'll take time to really create a new form/shot.
            6. For the love of God, I cannot understand how his left hand is so bad.  Just watch him play and you'll agree.  He simply cannot drive hard to his left.  If he does, he has to finish the play with some kind of weird reverse right handed layup.  
            7. I mean this seriously, if Aaron Brooks catches fire, I can see him pushing Lin to the bench.  It's already been established that Kevin McHale isn't looking to the future - he's looking to the postseason.  (And there's no problem with that; his goal is to make the playoffs.)  If there's ever a situation where both Beverley and Brooks are hitting their shots, and Lin isn't, McHale won't hold back out of any deference due to salary amounts.  

#39 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Rahat I agree with everything except, the almost useless part on No.3. He is nowhere near as effective when playing the off guard he's not almost useless. We both agree on everything. We're Rockets fans first and for some reason, it seems that Mchale doesn't trust Lin, so if Mchale isn't leaving next year, Lin should and we could spend money elsewhere. I'm a Rockets fan first, Lin fan second.

#40 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 671 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

That is what I'm trying to convey. That its either Lin or Mchale in a sense, and since Mchale isn't going anywhere we could use the cap space for a defensive specialist or a spot up shooter. Eg I would rather have reddick for Lin for the 8 a year, if Lin doesn't get the freedom to run the pg role. I think brooks will be a better fit with Harden than Lin. I was a rockets fan before Lin, thats why I'm advocating that we either give him more freedom to do what he is good at or we get rid of him for someone that fits better with Harden. 

The thing with trust and dislike is my opinion and observation, I have watched every game except for 2or3 so that how I perceive it. It was the same with the PF position. I'm glad D-mo is the starter, he is the best ouf of ppat and MM with the highest ceiling. But often he will go to Delfino at the 4 which I don't understand when we need any defence we can get. 

My points is that we either go with Lin to see what we have or try to free up cap space or trade for a more suitable player. In a sense we don't need a true pg with Harden and Harden plays close to 40 min a game, so most of the ballhandling can be given to Harden to be the facilitator. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users