Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Update on Royce White?

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#41 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

The vitriol some of you are spewing here seems a bit out of line to me. Certainly White has done himself no favours with his handling of the situation, and he does not come out of the situation with much credit. But we don't know exactly what has gone on behind the scenes and we probably never will. Being able to tell exactly how much of his behaviour is down to his mental illness is not something any of us are capable of with the facts the way they are.

It's a shame that this setback has been so visible and public. As I've said before, it would be much better for all parties concerned (including the fans) if this were to happen behind closed doors. I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether the Rockets redouble their efforts to get him to play or decide to cut their losses.

ST

#42 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

A few things: first, I did not know the physicians were general practitioners and not mental health experts...if true, what are the mental health experts saying? Second, even if they are GPs, I don't think that changes my belief that their opinion still weighs more than a non-physician's, for obvious reasons. They still know more, esp. since many go through a psych rotation.

But DD, don't get me wrong -- I think White has an entitlement issue. He has been coddled by those around him to believe he's some superstar that deserves special treatment. That being said, I don't know why that is somehow mutually exclusive with the notion that he may have a rather severe form of anxiety disorder. In fact, what are these tea leaves you have seen that point to him only having very "mild" OCD or anxiety disorders? Everything I've seen and heard have pointed to a rather troublesome mental issue. I'm skeptical that doctors and even the Rockets FO are falling for "an act." Does that mean he somehow isn't entitled or going about this the wrong way? No. I think he totally is, mental health problem or not.

You see, I'm torn when it comes to White. Part of me sort of feels where he's coming from. Mental health in the US is too often seen as something fake, or easily changeable., or a choice. It's not that simple (and is rarely a "choice"). One can't just suck it up all the time (though ironically, the CBT training for OCD and similar anxiety disorders is essentially a de-sensitizing version of sucking it up lol), nor does one necessarily want to. Sometimes, even when it is obviously a problem, you've just had it for so long...and it's been a part of you for so many years...that it's scary to even want to change. It's your identity -- who you are. White may not want to "get better," and at the same time, "getting better" is most likely a lot harder to do than most people who don't have mental health issues would think.

On the other hand, I don't know how severe White's anxiety is. My gut tells me it is bad, but manageable, but the way he's lived his life, he isn't inclined to want to manage it. There in is the problem. It's tough, but he should try to get help, get accommodations when necessary, but then work toward fitting into the system. It is unfair to expect society and the system to change to tailor completely to his needs. It's unrealistic, and probably unhealthy.

But again, I don't know the specifics of his issue, so I do wonder why you think he's faking it or exaggerating it. He could be a "prima dona" and have mental health issues at the same time haha. I am also confused why the RGV assignment wouldn't be good for him, from a doctor's perspective, since it is no flying...if he's asking to play in the games without proving anything, he's definitely living in dreamland.

#43 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Im confident that Royce is mentally unstable and that he can't handle pressure. Thinking about performing for all of those cohorts that have been talking you up your whole life, coddling you at every step now expecting you to not just be another mediocre player. He sees the rooks in the league getting PT and some getting DLeagued... and the longer he waits... the harder it will be on Royce to start. He will need a restart on another team. That way in his mind he can chalk it up as another excuse as to why he can't do something and another place he can succeed. Ugh, Ive been there. LOL

The only way we can actually see him in a Rocket uniform is if he somehow is coaxed into "restarting" his NBA career at RGV. IMO.

Does anyone have any information as to why Royce won't accept the RGV invite?

What are his "expectations" for the RGV?

Has his "My Player" rating on NBA2k exploded with all of this free time on his hands?

Is he selling tacos out of a taco stand on bissonet???

#44 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 594 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

i was going to comment on this topic again, but its pretty much all negative and anti-royce, so ill just leave it at that.

#45 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 103 posts
    • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

It seems to me that no one person has perfect mental health. Mr. White has issues, but so does everyone else in the NBA, or elsewhere. If he cannot cope with the reality of what it takes to be a part of the NBA, he should find his calling elsewhere.

Ultimately, maturity is possibly the biggest part of his problem. Those who seem to be advising him are enabling his behavior. As far as I am concerrned, he is an experiment that failed. That is too bad, because he might have skills that would be useful to the Rockets. We need not waste any more energy on Royce excepting to wave goodbye as he fades into obscurity...

#46 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 165 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I just don't believe he is actually trying - I believe he is doing what he has always done and that is whine about stuff, and getting his way.

The difference is that the Rockets, as a business, do not need to allow him to get his way, he is just not worth it.

I think most of this is entitlement and not OCD/Anxiety.

And for him to say the Doctors get the final say in regards to playing time, and all things Rockets is just immature, and well...frankly stupid.

DD

#47 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Just trying to bring some levity to the topic.....can we rename this thread "The No-Fly Zone"? "No Plane No Gain"? "Go to the D-League! You're Grounded!"?

Don't forget to tip your waitresses....

#48 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

DD, I agree that I think he could probably put forth more effort, and from some things I've seen and read and heard, it sounds like he expects the Rockets to cater to him (before he capitulates in any fashion). And regardless, the way he's taken it to the public sphere is inappropriate.

But again, I'm still curious as to why most of this is due to entitlement and not OCD/anxiety? I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. He can have the anxiety issues, they can be severe, and he can still feel entitled to be treated in a special way (deserved or not). There might be some compromise ground, or there might not be.

As for the doctor's comment...I mean, I would hope they utilize mental health professionals, but if they are, why wouldn't they get the final say in regards to playing time? As far as it concerns his health/recommended options? Rockets certainly don't have to agree to the recommendations "per se," but that is more a business decision and something that might even relate to the ADA (probably applies in his situation). Reasonable accommodations that don't pose an undue hardship is a vague requirement when it comes to NBA players, so I can understand why the Rockets are treading carefully.

#49 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 165 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Well maybe Royce convinces the doctors that he needs 24 minutes a game, and that is the best way to avoid his anxiety, yet the Rockets think he has earned ZERO minutes a game because he is just not good enough.

So, Royce thinks the Rockets should accomodate him, and there is no accomodation for suckage.

The NBA does not have accomodations for shortness, or for people who can't jump....

Royce is just milking this thing, and everyone to this point has needed his talent - and bowed down to him, the Rockets do not.

DD

#50 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Haha I wonder if he really is trying to sell "my anxiety can only be cured/accommodated by playing minutes on the Rockets roster" because that'd be rather silly. But I read the McCann article and it seems that this may plausible.

I assume you were being intentionally glib with the remark about shortness or a lack of hops since mental illness is pretty different from being a few inches shorter or less athletic lol.

But personally, I don't think Rockets have much to lose riding this out with White. Hopefully he'll eventually realize he doesn't have many other options (outside of quitting the NBA altogether) and cooperates more.

#51 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

A solution could be forthcoming if only White would just take advantage of the RGV opportunity and kill it down there. Otherwise, White is only going to make the final decision from the Rockets much easier.

#52 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 548 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

It's just a sign of the times. When I was growing up and a kid acted out or threw a tantrum, he was called a brat and the parents were kindly (or not so kindly) asked to control their kid or remove him. Today, nobody can blame the parents or the kids for such behavior because at some point some psychologist put a name to this behavior like "ADD" or "ADHD" and now the same kid is a victim of something or other and thus relinquishing all accountability from him or the parents. Today people are expected to be tolerant of the "victim's" behavior and mold their work and home environments to conform to these quirks. I suffer from claustrophobia (true), but sometimes my work requires me to crawl under buildings and through tight crawl spaces (which truly freaks me out). Should I require my clients or employer to knock out walls or jack up the buildings to accommodate my fears? No, I simply suck it up and do what I have to to provide for my family and maintain my lifestyle. I'm not saying mental illness doesn't exist, but there is a huge difference between someone who is Autistic and someone who falls into the newly dubbed "autistic spectrum", the former having an actual physiological disability that needs constant attention and the latter usually a product of learned behaviors.

On request from a 1st grade teacher, my son saw a shrink and was diagnosed and medicated for ADHD and ODD (Obsessive defiant disorder) after ONLY 10 MINUTES of observation. I couldn't stand what the medication (Strattera and later Adderol, I think) did to him and his personality so after that year we took him off of it, made some adjustments in our disciplinary actions, and worked to challenge him more intellectually. Today, now in 11th grade, he's in the top 5% of his class and has never had any disciplinary problems since, NEVER. We could have just as easily over the past 10 years treated him as a victim and coddled and medicated him and take no accountability nor expect any from him. And he could have just as easily gone through his whole life with this excuse in his pocket whenever he failed to live up to someone's expectations, or acted out. This is where White is today. What happened to the days of "Hey, you big pussy, man up and suck it up, or get out of the way!"?

I don't know what is sadder, White's problems or the attentions they have garnered him over the years. So, did the Rockets draft the poster boy for mental illnesses, or a basketball player? They are a basketball team, so I hope they drafted a player. Everybody on this planet has quirks and many of them you can put a name too also, but what separates the mice from the men is the ability to overcome these and lead a productive life. One's quirks should never become the burden of others.

Do we remember Bill Walton as the big stutterer? Chris Jackson (Abdul-Rauf) as the "turrets guy"? Wilt or Magic the Sex-Addicts? No. Royce White, how will you be remembered?

#53 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 891 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

@Alituro; no offense, but I'm going to assume you weren't a psychology major and are not a mental health professional, because a few things you said are just inaccurate. For example, autism and falling somewhere on the soon-to-be released DSM-V autistic spectrum isn't really anything different. It's a new way of classifying something that has always been recognized. High-functioning autism would be Asperger's, for instance. It is not a product of learned behaviors...If you've spent any time around children with autism (anywhere on the range), you'd see that it really is a spectrum, and this new classification really captures it more accurately rather than relying on older, more confusing nomenclature.

However, I don't disagree with your general sentiment that many children today are over-diagnosed, and I do think that belief is shared by a large subset of the population (whether most follow through with anything that would help alleviate this issue is a whole 'nother consideration). In fact, I agree with you on that point. I think there are certain mental disabilities (esp. ADD/ADHD) that are over-diagnosed and definitely over-prescribed, contributing to a new problem our kids are facing today ---- abuse of prescription drugs. But again, whole 'nother can of worms I won't get into on a Royce White thread on www.red94.net hahaha.

The only bit that sort of frustrates me is your (and probably the public's) inability to sometimes differentiate between mental disorders. The issue of over-diagnosis is partly to blame for that; the other part is just the nature of mental illnesses and how deceptive they can be (as opposed to say having a terminal illness or a physical handicap). Are there times when psychologists looking for a quick buck and easy solution over diagnosis? Definitely! Are there still people who actually suffer from those and other mental disorders? Absolutely. I'm glad your course of action worked out for your son, and he may have been misdiagnosed, but I can just as easily find parents who think the same way, work extremely hard, but just can't help turn their son's life around...resulting in a rather tragic end. I know I have seen that before. Sometimes they do need medication, along w/ other treatments.

To bring this back to White, I think he falls in the latter category. He isn't going to be able to will away panic attacks, if we are to believe he receives them. Some anxiety issues he can sort of "suck up," but without knowing exactly how severe his problems are (or his medical history), it seems just as likely that there are some that he can't.

TL;DR -- yes, some kids are just spoiled today and parents like to shirk responsibility, so mental disorders are incorrectly claimed as the culprits, leading to a worse public perception of mental illness in general...but some people do actually need medication or CBT or whatnot to resolve their problems. Hard to say which group White falls into.

#54 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

We can assume, suggest, concur, disagree, etc. all we want on this board. It simply comes down to whether or not Royce White wants to play basketball. He has an opportunity presented to go to RGV and prove to this organization he truly wants to become an NBA player. Or he can continue to thumb his nose at the Rockets. The onus is on Royce White.

#55 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I dont think royce will get cut. Larry Coon tweeted some article about mental health issues in sports, and the law surrounding it (government law not NBA law) and basically if it all goes tits up, David stern has the right to award houston a compensation pick in the next draft - either the same pick at 16 or a pick between the first and second round. If houston cuts him, i dont think they will be eligible for that pick, we have to let royce decide hes not gonna play any more.

Also, as Rahat said its a good thing hes with the warriors. Can you imagine if he had been on the wizards a few years ago? Arenas and Javaris Crittenton would probably threaten to shoot him if he didnt play...

#56 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 891 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

@Areteejay, I read that same article and I don't think Stern will do that. Not saying he doesn't have the right to, but it just seems SUPER unlikely. It sets a horrible precedent and all other teams will complain. How would it then be different than say a team that drafts a person who ends up having bad knees and never plays? I think the exception was created/used only once in the past (Celts? I can't remember) where it involved a player death.

As far as the ADA (government law) with mental health, I looked into this a bit more and White probably wouldn't have a case. Rockets have made plenty of reasonable accommodations, and anything he seem to be asking for now is above and beyond that. It is rarely applied to mental health in sports, and not flying or getting starter minutes in the NBA because of his mental illness is almost certainly not required by the law.

@rocketrick: I think that is right -- how bad does White want to play in the NBA? So far it seems...not that badly. Maybe he just wanted to be paid his guaranteed money. I still don't get why he won't go to RGV (well I can imagine a reason, just not a mental health one) since it involves almost no flying, playing time, and consistency. I just can't see his mental health argument for NOT going to RGV, I guess.

#57 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 165 posts
            • LocationAustin

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

Agree he is full of crap and using his illness as leverage, when he may or may not even be ill.

As for compensatory picks? I doubt it if the Celtics did not get one for Lin Bias.

DD

#58 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,122 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

I tried to stay away from this thread , but you all are forcing me :D phaketrash I read that same artical and I do believe the rockets might get a pick which is why they are willing to let this play out. either way it won't hurt to ask. I don't think this will be and issue for the nba in the future because this will probably be the last time a team takes a chance like this. what royce has really done is made it unlikely any players with his condition will ever get drafted again. there is a precedence being set here, but it ain't all the rockets. royce has single handedly mess it up for future consideration on other players with this issue. if anybody knows the nba cba it's morey and I believe this is why the rockets have taken the wait and see stand. at this point even if it doesn't work out it won't affect the rockets this year. either way royce wasn't likely to crack the rotation this year even if he had been in camp. what may really be giving royce issues is fighting for playing time. maybe he thinks he will have a hard time beating the other PF's out which is why he seems to want a commitment from the rockest about playing time. I think the rockets have held their end up it's up to white to get his $hit together.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#59 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,179 posts
            • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

Truehoop has posted selected portions of a radio interview that Royce White did. Interesting stuff, and sounds slightly saner than past soundbites from him have done. Haven't heard the whole interview though, so I can't comment about whether that's just a result of the transcription process.

ST

#60 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 548 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

@phaketrash.. You're right and no offense. I probably shouldn't have used an autism reference in retrospect. Knowing it is a much more serious issue than say issues of ADD, ADHD, OCD, etc... and not really related to what White is experiencing.

I guess what frustrates me is that over the past couple decades, efforts are made more to shape the environment to conform to someone's mental issues which may or may not be real, rather than teaching these people how to conform to the environments and situations around them. This seems to have fostered a sense of entitlement in White. He seems to think that because of his assumed disability, and for no other reason, that he deserves playing time more than say, D-Mo or Jones. Both of whom have been paying their dues in the valley, in practice, and ridin' the pine for entire games on end. He's trying to jump line like he has a Fast Pass at Disney World, while others are waiting and waiting. Rather than trying to overcome his fears, he's using his disability like a card carrying member of some exclusive club. That sickens me. His problems should only be his burden and not everyone else's, that's just being a man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users