Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

*Updated 7/12*[cbs] Rockets using Amnesty cut on Scola?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle has reported that the rockets are strongly considering using the amnesty cut on scola within the next 48 hours to clear up space for a trade.

http://blog.chron.co...c-grow-serious/

**New Link since the Amnesty is being used**
http://www.cbssports...esty-luis-scola

Edited by blakecouey, 12 July 2012 - 10:57 PM.
-because the Amnesty was used

#2 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

I'm not sure about the current payroll, but haven't we cleared enough cap space yet? Unless Morey is planning on bringing another star right now along with Bynum/Howard.....or maybe (and I hope that's not the reason), he is willing to take Howard, Turkoglu, Richardson and maybe Duhon all together

#3 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

i dont think theres any way we would take all that back with howard, that would be absolutely terrible and no possible way we could do that financially. scola is owed 29 million over the next 3 years, i think it would be a great move financially and so we can move one of our many back up PF's into the starting role.

#4 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

It's 21 million...which is something like 2 and some million less per season.

Let's say that between him and Martin it's 20M. I think the rest all together isn't making 10M this year (unless I'm forgetting someone), so that would sum up on 30M.

If we are getting all the junk from Orlando, Martin or Scola (or hopefully, both) must leave, and it would still be profit for Orlando. Scola is better than Ayon, so I guess they wouldn't mind that much having him around.

But I understand the thought....amnesty is only available for those contracts signed before the lockout, so the only choices to amnesty are Martin and Scola, and since Martin is on the last year, it would be an idiotic waste. It's Scola or nothing and I see the logic of amnestying him if Orlando doesn't want him.

#5 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

I find it hard to believe we can't send him to a bottom feeder for a protected pick, or hell a 2nd rounder- something is better than nothing as long as bad contracts aren't returned.

#6 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 214 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Blake--Scola is a valuable player, but his contract makes him really difficult to move without getting salary back in return. For a contending team, he's very expensive, and those teams don't have cap space unless they send back similar contracts, so what's the point? Indeed, trading Scola for another big contract would be a disaster, if only because we couldn't use the amnesty provisions for the new player. Another possibility is that we trade Scola to a non-contender with cap space (like Charlotte), but why would a team tanking take on a big salary with no real hope of long-term improvement? We'd essentially have to pay somebody to take him, so why not just use the amnesty provision? I love Scola and hate to see him go, but cutting him via amnesty is the way to go.

The contracts we will get back in the Howard trade are not as bad as they appear. Hedo's contract is only partially guaranteed the last year; Duhon's contract is relatively small fry. Richardson's contract is the real killer--we'd have to give up an asset (young prospect, draft choice) to unload it for an expiring contract. That's why I imagine that Morey is really haggling with Orlando right now--it is imperative to keep as many as our assets as possible for future deals.

#7 TheDream

TheDream

• Members
      • Pip
      • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

I happen to agree with the thought of just Amnestying Scola either way. I think opening up the space to let younger guys play will only increase the value and skills of some of the rookies. We also only have to pay Scola the rest of his contract minus what another team pays him. Does he make $5-$8 million for each of the next 3 years?

#8 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 165 posts
        • LocationAustin

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yikes - he is my favorite players, but you have to do what you have to do.

#9 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
        • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Johnny- I see your point, but still think we could get something from a tanker. Keep in mind charlotte was prepared to offer Brook Lopez a max contract.... That's not a good idea for a tanker, maybe they think with MKG they have a chance? Lol. Truth is I think we will amnesty him, I just jate to believe that we couldn't get anything for him. Either way, without Scola our team is better off.

#10 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,309 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Johnny brings up a few great points. In addition considering the excess of power forwards in the market and the climate of the new CBA Morey just overvalued Scola within the present circumstances and realities. In a vaccum or even maybe 3 or 4 years ago Scola would have had multiple suitors.

Unfortunately it would appear he may have to be amnestied. Scola does everything right on the court (underrated on both ends), leads by example and speaks when needed and most importantly is my favorite Rocket. I think he has been the Rockets' best player since Yao started having injury problems.
          How sweet it is!

#11 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 708 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

How about Scola and Martin to Charlotte for Kemba and a first round pick? Would they be that stupid?

I know that Scola has given his best to the Rockets, always contributed on the offensive (but totally wellrated on defense, he is not a good defender). Tanking with him on the books isn't possible, but the true reason of moving him no matter what is that with the policy of "drafting the best player available", we have too many PF. Some of them have the talent to become really good, valuable players in a not so far away future, so....it's easier and provides us a brighter future to cut Scola. I know, it's hard to let go the guy who probably wanted to win the most last year (even when about to be traded to NOLA at first), but it's just the way to go, and I think even he knows it, luckily for him, he is in London worrying about something more important to him.

#12 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,184 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I really hope we don't have to amnesty Scola. He's been a dependable and loyal servant to the team since he's got here, and I get the impression that he'd really like to stay if he can. Being amnestied really is a slap in the face (or at least, I know that certain other players who have been amnestied have viewed it that way), and it'd be nice if we could refrain from doing that to someone who has been a joy to have on the team.

Hopefully if it does come to that we'll able to do it in a tasteful fashion that conveys the organization has (or at least, should have) for the player.

ST

#13 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

It's not right for scola to be sent off this way but it needs to happen.

#14 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 214 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

It might be best for Scola to be released via amnesty than traded to a team like Charlotte. A good team might bid on Scola, hoping to get a good PF at a reasonable price (the Mavs, for example, might try to nab him). To trade him to Charlotte would be cruel and unusual punishment.

#15 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

New post: http://www.red94.net...nesty-cut/9835/

#16 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

News is(via several reputable sources on Twitter), the decision has been made to Amnesty Luis Scola, Tomorrow.

http://www.cbssports...esty-luis-scola
                  for full story.

#17 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 283 posts
                  • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Were going all in officially

#18 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,309 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Fellow Rocket fans, the dominoes are falling into place. Strap on your seatbelts for the ride.
                  How sweet it is!

#19 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 247 posts
                  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Were going all in officially

As a friend of mine has been saying alot lately: that is a true statement.

Fellow Rocket fans, the dominoes are falling into place. Strap on your seatbelts for the ride.

Well the dominoes better be falling into place. I agree with Sir Thursday it is usually viewed as a slap in the face to use the amnesty clause on a player though I will say the amnesty clause has never been used on a nicer player than Scola. If we don't come away with Howard or Bynum we would be at rock bottom, and that is saying alot after what has transpired during the draft, the trading of Lowry and not resigning Lee and Dragic. Of course if we do trade for Howard and he doesn't resign with us, then it will be ROCK BOTTOM.

Please place your bets ladies and gentlemen because it is time to gamble.

:lol: All in the game, yo, :D all in the game :lol:!

#20 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                  • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

After everything Scola has been through, I think he will take it well. If he didn't retaliate against "the Love stomp," he won't say anything about this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users