Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Is Daryl Morey a Good "Drafter"?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

im not starting a fire morey campaign, im not deluded to think Les will value my input anyways.
Its just there are so many myths about Morey as a great gm, but once you start debunking each one, you realize he has been average in 6 seasons.
I am not saying he's the worst gm, but he sure is not doing something right if we r always stuck at average.

His first 2 years, he made the playoff by hitching onto the Yao train.
The last 3 when he had to build his own team and use his "STATS" to construct a smart team, we have been stuck at 9-10, and thats how we ended up with those average picks year after year

Again for all we know, Les might be the problem. But Les is not the one being praised for every horizontally aligned trade or for being the smartest gm in the league for every sloan conference he hosts etc. I swear Morey gets as much praise as presti and Buford, yet has failed to achieve any success

#42 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Supposedly, he drafted for need at first.

I give you some point, he ain't great, but let's see how new guys turn out to say whether he sucks or not.

I know, of course we'd love to have the best at every position (players, GM, etc...) and we'd love to make at least conference semifinals every year, but we can't, so we have to addapt.

I don't judge Morey yet because we have tried the same thing over and over, maybe trying something different, better things come out. Let's see how willing is he to do something different

#43 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

where are those players he drafted Lyfestyle.
    Landry is a backup on a terrible new orleans teams
    Budinger is trash
    Brooks was the only bright spot, but Morey tried to lowball him and had to move him. Plus he is severely undersized at any position.
    Parsons is a hustle no skill player.
    Morey and les were the one that chose to remain competitive with a crappy team resulting in those terrible picks, but its not like he made a chicken sandwich from chicken shit. At best, he drafted average at an average position.

I thought Morey said his job was to pick the best player available regardless of position.

Looking at where the players are now makes no sense at all. He was able to get significant value in trading Landry, Budinger and Brooks, and getting a contributor like Parsons at number 38 was a steal no matter how you slice it. 20 players were taken before Parsons that won't pan out to be NBA players, so Morey did a better job than 20 other GMs in that isolated example.

I'm not sure why I'm even arguing though, it's not like you're interested at all in anything other than your own nonsense.

#44 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
    • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

/

Edited by RedStewie, 06 July 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#45 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 263 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

what numbers, i first posted those names before blake confirmed it because someone else asked to show him which good players have been taken after the #14, seems like the argument have deviated from that.

Taking what out of context, if Morey is a good drafter, he would have found value at whatever position. So, if all he can do it draft whats available despite stocking up all those picks and buying multiple 2nd round picks, then at best, he's an average drafter playing the hand he was dealt. He is not unearthing anyone special. Again, IT IS NOT MY FAULT WE HAVE TERRIBLE PICKS EVERY YEAR, SO YALL QUIT WITH THAT BOGUS ARGUMENT

Let me put this in the most simple of terms for you. If you get a role player after pick 25, then you are a good drafter as you only have a 25% chance of doing so. If you get a solid starter, then you can be classified as a better than great drafter as you have about a 5% chance at doing so and if you get an all-star then you are lucky as hell as it a less than 3% chance. Morey has gotten 4 role-players (Brooks, Landry, Budinger, Parsons), 4 guys that are unknown (Newly, Leunen, Lllull, Aldemir) and 3 guys that were flops (Green, Dorsey, Taylor). Thats more than double your percent chance of getting a role-player (based on the ones can truly judge), a 37% rate for the total 11. That is pretty good drafting.

Just to reiterate. Morey has shown the abilities of a good drafter. How the guys from the previous 3 years develop could make him a great drafter or a terrible drafter, but as of right now, he is a good drafter (not the worst but not the best). I am done arguing with you. You take your contextless evaluations of drafting ability and parade them around all you want. I am exiting this conversation.

#46 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
      • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

its not pretty good drafting when u consider those he missed.
      at best, he is average like his team, like our playoff standings and like our picks.
      We should be called the Houston "Averages" or the Houston "intangibles"

#47 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

A more in depth discussion would include the scouting reports on those players that he "missed on" that became decent, the players he "passed on" that never lived up to the hype, and the players picked that have surpassed expectations or fallen well short of them. I do not have access to this information, nor the time, to delve into this right now. What I suggest is that someone look into it using quality sources, and that will absolutely help the argument one way or another.

#48 Kade

Kade

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

ugh

#49 Kade

Kade

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

How can anyone say honestly he's gotten value when he can't hold the players he finds or trades them away and can't get into the postseason?

Finding value when you don't make the playoffs and constantly waste years by being one of the best "worst" teams in the league is meaningless.
            Talk about finding value, go look at OKC, SA, Dallas and a host of other teams who at least get into the playoffs.

We had Lin and had no clue so the excuse was we had too many PG especially Drajic who was under contract
            Now Morey is begging him to come back which shows he was clueless. Fine you say but nobody else knew either, ok so what's the reason why Drajic was insulted and he bailed? Lowry, gone, etc. And the draft picks we get are what after all the studs are drafted.
            When a team gets players then are praised for finding value then trade them away and not get a better lottery pick or they bail or they just do the same thing over and over and over again that screams I have no clue where to direct this team and lets just throw a bunch of stuff against the wall and hope to god something sticks.
            SMART and ELITE GM/Owners know two basic things about running an NBA team:
            1. Trade for a super star or if they are a FA
            2. If that's not possible you tank in hopes of finallly drafting a super star that you can build on

Why haven't Morey and Alexander figured this out?

#50 Kade

Kade

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Cut Lin
              Drajic is our future
              Insult Drajic and he walks
              Trade Lowry who before was our future, pick is protected
              Beg Lin to come back

The merry go round has lost control.

Thank god NFL Texans are coming up, something I thought I'd never say in my lifetime.

#51 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 182 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

SMART and ELITE GM/Owners know two basic things about running an NBA team:
                1. Trade for a super star or if they are a FA
                2. If that's not possible you tank in hopes of finallly drafting a super star that you can build on

Why haven't Morey and Alexander figured this out?

They tried like hell to do option 1 for the last three seasons, haven't been able to accomplish it, and now it would appear they're doing option 2. You should be thrilled with them.

#52 Kade

Kade

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Clear cut fact about the NBA

1. No superstar doesn't matter the makeup of your team, no way will you win a championship
                  2. OK so how to get a superstar? Trade? FA? Superstars are never going to pick Houston over Lakers, Boston, Chicago, hell even Mavs so scratch that, superstars want to play for historic teams or a team that has a superstar player already there or for a player friendly organization. That rule out Rockets
                  3. So knowing all of that you can have a basic education of the NBA and know it's the draft. You get a Durant or Griffin and some superstar will then want to play for your team so it's through the draft. You aren't going to get the next superstar drafting around last from the non playoff teams. No team is going to give you a high 1st round unprotected player because while you have solid players on your team it's not worth giving up for them.
                  4. Only logical direction you go in which should have been done YEARS ago is trade off players have a bad team and have the chance of drafting a star player. May hit it big in a few years like OKC or take many like the Clippers. Doesn't matter.

#53 Kade

Kade

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

They tried like hell to do option 1 for the last three seasons, haven't been able to accomplish it, and now it would appear they're doing option 2. You should be thrilled with them.

You don't even have to be smart to know that no star is going to come to Houston which has no stars, this was blantantly clear when NBA changed with Celtics having the big three. So Rockets wasted three seasons banging it's head against a brick wall while the NBA is passing you by

2. I really am not convinced that this is a tank mode in full force. Why go after Lin? Hell Aaron Brooks? Stiff in Chicago where the fans are PRAYING the Bulls don't match it.That's the opposite of tanking. Tank means to not be a semi decent team which is what they've been for many years now.

#54 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 182 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

You don't even have to be smart to know that no star is going to come to Houston which has no stars, this was blantantly clear when NBA changed with Celtics having the big three. So Rockets wasted three seasons banging it's head against a brick wall while the NBA is passing you by

2. I really am not convinced that this is a tank mode in full force. Why go after Lin? Hell Aaron Brooks? Stiff in Chicago where the fans are PRAYING the Bulls don't match it.That's the opposite of tanking. Tank means to not be a semi decent team which is what they've been for many years now.

Well, they tried like hell to get Bosh, they tried to trade for Deron Williams, they made a good run at Dwight Howard. They made a move for Gasol that fell through. I don't think it's entirely honest to say they haven't been trying to get a star; stars don't grow on trees, of course.

And on your second point: they likely knew they weren't signing Lin. They also haven't signed Aaron Brooks yet... that would be a curious move if they're rebuilding. They let Dragic walk, they released Courtney Lee, they traded Lowry for a future pick. It certainly looks like a rebuild to me.

Sounds to me like you're just upset with the state of affairs. I get it.

#55 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                      • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

We tried to make it happen years ago, it just never worked out. Given that we cannot go back in time and rebuild three years ago, our choice was stay the same 9th place team or pack it in and tank- which seems the route were taking now.

Anyways, this thread is about the drafting abilties of Morey, not the bad decision making of the organization. Further comments, unrelated to drafting, need to be placed in the thread titled "the s* has hit the fan". Thanks.

#56 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 148 posts
                        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

I say we start a Hire Blakecouey and Rahat for GM campaign!

#57 Kade

Kade

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Well, they tried like hell to get Bosh, they tried to trade for Deron Williams, they made a good run at Dwight Howard. They made a move for Gasol that fell through. I don't think it's entirely honest to say they haven't been trying to get a star; stars don't grow on trees, of course.

And on your second point: they likely knew they weren't signing Lin. They also haven't signed Aaron Brooks yet... that would be a curious move if they're rebuilding. They let Dragic walk, they released Courtney Lee, they traded Lowry for a future pick. It certainly looks like a rebuild to me.

Sounds to me like you're just upset with the state of affairs. I get it.

'Tried like hell'? A lot of that was assumptions plus from the start we all knew he wanted to go and be with Bron and Wade. Deron, Howard, etc any star has made it a point they aren't interested in Houston for the reasons I mentioned before. It's like Alex/Morey don't want to believe that sort of the like the girl that's clearly not interested in you but you think you change her mind.

#58 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 182 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

'Tried like hell'? A lot of that was assumptions plus from the start we all knew he wanted to go and be with Bron and Wade. Deron, Howard, etc any star has made it a point they aren't interested in Houston for the reasons I mentioned before. It's like Alex/Morey don't want to believe that sort of the like the girl that's clearly not interested in you but you think you change her mind.

You said they wouldn't play in Houston because it didn't have a star and then criticized their efforts to get a star. Now it appears they may be tanking to try and draft a star and you're criticizing how they're doing that.

#59 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                            • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Everyone knew they had zero shot at these players.
                            Lyfestyle, you seem to be a staunch supporter of Morey, can you name one great thing he has done since being named GM apart from always being under salary. Every his good moves end up being bad in the long run. Or he does one good moves, and follows it with 3 bad ones to negate the good.

#60 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 182 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Everyone knew they had zero shot at these players.
                              Lyfestyle, you seem to be a staunch supporter of Morey, can you name one great thing he has done since being named GM apart from always being under salary. Every his good moves end up being bad in the long run. Or he does one good moves, and follows it with 3 bad ones to negate the good.

I'm not a staunch supporter, I just don't like unfair criticism. I think his draft record has been decent. I think his trade for Scola was as one-sided a trade as there is (I know you'll scream something like, "SCOLA'S AVERAGE AT BEST," but in the context of that trade, the Rockets won that one). He's not signed us to any long-term contracts that we have to wear like a yoke around our necks. He put a good team around Yao and McGrady that likely would've contended in 2009 had they been healthy. In five years I can't think of one trade we've made that's been god-awful.

I think his owner told him to stay competitive and given that directive, I think he's done a fair job given the circumstances. I don't feel like Pat Riley or Mitch Kupchak would've won a title if they'd been given the same directives and injury luck that Morey's had, so most of the criticism I hear in these forums sound like they come from people living in a fantasy world where no one gets injured, owners let you tank and franchise-altering superstars are available every year at pick #14 in the Draft.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users