Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Should the Rockets Pay Dragic 10 Million Per Year or More?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

Just read an interesting article stating that the negotiations between Dragic and the Rockets ended "far apart". Dragic will now be leaving town to visit Phoenix and analysts are saying that now Dragic will not return as a Rocket. Should we buck up and pay the kid 10 Million per year or has he accomplished enough to demand that high of a contract?

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

no we should not. dragic is a border line star player yes, but not worth that much, when we still have lowry on the roster. there is not 4 mil per difference in their games.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

Wow, that's really difficult. Without Dragic, we can't trade Lowry, and it we can't trade Lowry, then we can't go after Howard, Gasol, or any other star. On the other hand, Dragic is clearly overpaid at $10 million per year and it would be a huge gamble to sign him. The Rockets would have little cap flexibility and would be paying luxury tax for years if they signed Dragic at $10 million, matched whatever offer Lee is going to get, and traded for a big star. On balance, Dragic isn't worth it, but this is deflating nevertheless.

#4 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,303 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

What site is the article on?
    How sweet it is!

#5 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 148 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...ockets-unlikely

#6 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

Dragic is worth 10 mill we should pay up and deal Lowry for something. Let lee go, trade Martin, trade or amnesty scola to keep cap number low.

#7 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
      • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

Dragic is worth 10 mil, Asik is not really worth 8.4 mil- we did it hoping Chicago wont match.

It just sucks that Dragic is gonna be making about double what Lowry is making lol, that hurts.

But if we don't wanna sign Dragic for 10 mil, then lets sign and trade him, instead of losing him for nada. But i would trade Lowry and pay Dragic.

#8 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,564 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Wow. Tough decision. There isn't a 4m difference between he and Lowry's game. That's the easy analysis, more complex says Lowry is unhappy, and that dpesnt do us any good. As well as that if we sign Dragic we cam trade lowry for value, if we let Dragic walk we get nothing. However unless we offered him a slap in the face at 6m I would think he'd give us an opportunity to increase our offer. If I were Gm is try to get a discount at about 9...or id let him go I'm afraid.

#9 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 182 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Not being able to move our draft picks, Howard likely going to the Nets and Dragic perhaps going elsewhere? This offseason's been tremendous thus far.

#10 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 236 posts
          • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Dragic hasn't really proven much, but we liked what we saw in the latter half of last season. Will he *become* a 10 million dollar man? Maybe...

Assuming Lowry goes,a nd Dragic walks, what's option number 3? I assume that keeps us in the Paul Sweepstakes for next year?

#11 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 182 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Dragic hasn't really proven much, but we liked what we saw in the latter half of last season. Will he *become* a 10 million dollar man? Maybe...

Assuming Lowry goes,a nd Dragic walks, what's option number 3? I assume that keeps us in the Paul Sweepstakes for next year?

We are *not* in the Paul sweepstakes; he would never come here. The NBA is reminding me very much of the Yankees/Red Sox dynamic of MLB: mid-market teams will serve as a farm system of sorts for the LA and NY teams (and Miami).

I'm starting to think the route for a team like Houston has to be like Philly or Indy: make a team of guys that aren't good enough to demand to play in NY or LA and hope for the best. You can't have a top ten talent unless they're humble anomalies like Durant and Duncan.

#12 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 548 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Not worth 10 million. Can't blame him for seeing if he will get it though. His little tour for a raise will come back down to earth soon and he'll sign somewhere for between 7 and 8.5 million. He'd be worth that price tag once trading Lowry.

Any news on Llull?

#13 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 208 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Chronicle is reporting that Dragic deal ain't happening.
                http://blog.chron.co...-not-happening/

Just for a little perspective here, Lowry was playing at a near MVP-candidate level before an illness took him out. It's important to note that it was an illness, versus an injury. It's unlikely to have an impact on his production this year.

As far as the rift between Lowry and McHale (which turned Lowry from everyone's opinion from "Kyle Lowry Over Everything" to "Ship him" in one day), I have a feeling Dragic was part of the problem there. I think when McHale had Lowry coming off the bench post-illness, K-Lo took it as an affront. Considering that Lowry was the clear leader and best player on the team before then, I can't blame him. But I also think they'll talk it through and be ready to work together by the start of the season.

So...with Dragic out, who's your vote for who becomes the Rockets' new super-sub?
                "Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#14 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

The sentence about Kyle Lowry playing a mvp candidate level had me laughing so hard.
                Kyle Lowry is very inconsistent and the only reason the Rockets are trying to bring him back into the conversation now is because they are too cheap to sign Dragic. Morey always has a thing for underpaying and screwing his own free agents.

But unlike Lowry, Dragic's value is actually high this summer, and a team will do to Houston what it did to Chicago and overpay Dragic

#15 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Phoenix for sure would make him such a deal. I guess Morey is just too used to underpaying, he was surprised when Dragic and his agent said no to another terrible deal.

#16 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                • 1,564 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Depends on what our roster looks like... So many variables still left wide open, if martins back maybe its lee(if we resign him), if martins gone and Lee is the starter maybe its Lamb. If Parsons is the starter maybe White, maybe Morris. If Scola is gone maybe the one that doesnt start between Motie and Patt. I wish I could give a better answer, just too much up in the air right now.

There is always the possibility that Dragic is offered less than he thought he would be, and that were not as far apart as he thought.

#17 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,303 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Sarver is too cheap to sign Dragic so that won't happen. Correct if I am wrong but the Lakers will have to drop a contract before they could sign Dragic to a number close to his liking. Indiana will have space if they let Hibbert walk but don't they have their point guard situation sorted and enough money committed. Who can overpay Dragic?

Does he come back to Earth after visiting with teams this week and take around 7 million a year? Is Morey waiting it out?
                  How sweet it is!

#18 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sarver is too cheap to sign Dragic so that won't happen. Correct if I am wrong but the Lakers will have to drop a contract before they could sign Dragic to a number close to his liking. Indiana will have space if they let Hibbert walk but don't they have their point guard situation sorted and enough money committed. Who can overpay Dragic?

Does he come back to Earth after visiting with teams this week and take around 7 million a year? Is Morey waiting it out?

Phx wouldnt hesitate dropping 10mill per year on dragic they really like him and need him. Lakers are 28mill over the cap so they can only offer MLE, Indy just locked up George hill for 5 years I havent seen his salary yet but it will be a good barometer of what dragic will get.

#19 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 216 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Dragic is a good player but at 10 mil a year that's a bad contract. He isn't at the Chris Paul or Deron Williams or even Rondo level. Paying him that much would hamstring the Rockets going forward. Until free agents are calling the Rockets up to play with Dragic 10 mil a year is too much money.

#20 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                      • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

Dragic is a good player but at 10 mil a year that's a bad contract. He isn't at the Chris Paul or Deron Williams or even Rondo level. Paying him that much would hamstring the Rockets going forward. Until free agents are calling the Rockets up to play with Dragic 10 mil a year is too much money.

CP3, D Will and Rondo are not making 10 mil a year

Phoenix want him back bad, and he will be cheaper than what they were paying Nash before and what they would pay to resign Nash

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users