Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

*Updated 7/10*[ESPN/Yahoo] Continued Dwight Howard Talks?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Avery Johnson definitely would not worry about depth if he is starting Williams, Johnson, Wallace, Howard and some other guy.

Moving on from that there are rumours that Orlando made the most recent Nets offer public to get other teams to up their offers.

Which makes a lot of sense. I'm really liking this Hennigan guy.

#42 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 214 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

I don't see how that Net's offer really works for Orlando. Lopez is a poor rebounding, defensively limited center--not the future of the franchise. And Nets cannot take back all the bad contracts that Orlando needs to jettison to start over. The Rockets offer a better mix of young talent and expiring contracts--plus the ability to take on multiple bad contracts. Orlando would be foolish to trade with the Nets (which, of course, doesn't mean they won't).

#43 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 182 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Orlando would be foolish to trade with the Nets

Which is exactly why you'd leak a deal like this to the press to get Houston or the Lakers to offer more.

#44 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 437 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Why would Orlando suddenly make a deal that is worse than what the Nets had been offering? You assume Brooks and Lopez were in any deal before. No cap relief. and their 3 first rounders are now 25+ as opposed to what they were before they acquired Joe Johnson. Seems like if the Magic wanted Lopez and Brooks they would already have Lopez and Brooks.

#45 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Why would Orlando suddenly make a deal that is worse than what the Nets had been offering? You assume Brooks and Lopez were in any deal before. No cap relief. and their 3 first rounders are now 25+ as opposed to what they were before they acquired Joe Johnson. Seems like if the Magic wanted Lopez and Brooks they would already have Lopez and Brooks.

The difference now is Dwight has said he is leaving before they thought they could resign him, they will have to take less than they could have gotten earlier from other teams as well as Brooklyn.

#46 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

He said he was leaving last year too.

#47 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
              • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

The difference now is Dwight has said he is leaving before they thought they could resign him, they will have to take less than they could have gotten earlier from other teams as well as Brooklyn.

Makes sense, but Dwight Howard insisted he wasn't gonna resign with Houston and Golden State last year, I think his recent comment about resigning with only one team only affects the Lakers who will not give up Bynum without a guarantee.
              However if the Nets succeed in trading for Johnson, resigning Wallace, DWill and Lopez, then no matter how much Howard wants to sign with them, they wont be able to sign him unless he takes vet minimum. So Orlando can or his new team can be sure to use this fact as an attitude changer

#48 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 82 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Does houston still have phoenix's lottery protected pick from the brooks/dragic trade? If so, can we package that with all of our other assets in a trade for dwight? i know we cant give away our first round picks in consecutive future years, but can we trade other peoples? that means we can offer our next year pick, plus both the mavs and phoenix's lottery protected picks and/or 6 rookies and/or martin/lowry for dwight and bad contracts.

Also is there a limit on how many picks can be involved in a trade? could a team just offer their next 5 available firsts? (EG 2013 2015 2017...)

It seems these are the only better-than-houston options for ORL:
                LA offers bynum (with an extension) or bynum w/o extension plus gasol.
                ^^this doesnt seem likely to happen, especially as they think they might be able to sign steve nash?
                ATL offers Horford, and some expirings (everyone on their roster except their rookie and horford), and jenkins(just drafted rookie)
                ^^ is howard, smith, and harris really a good enough big three? smith wouldn't play well with howard since he cannot spread the floor
                GSW offers Barnes, Ezeli, Thompson, and Bogut and firsts, but cant take back any contracts w/o giving up their own(which are even worse)
                ^^if they offer curry, everything changes, but don't think they will be a very good team if they give up all of that, as their role players suck

NJ(Brooklyn) after signing the foreign guy seem to be waaaaaaay too far over the cap, so i don't think they could take dwight's contract, let alone put together a decent offer.

I think that is everyone that has been linked to dwight. as far as i can see, houston makes the most sense, but rarely does the sensible thing happen in the NBA...

#49 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 263 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

If I am correct, we cannot trade next year's pick because it belongs to Brooklyn from Terrence Williams trade since they did not get it this year due to us finishing in the lottery. Also, Dallas' pick is top 20 protected (which is why we didn't get it this year). And we already used the pick from Phoenix last year as we either got their pick if they made the playoffs or Orlando's pick if they didn't. We got Orlando's which is how we drafted Motie. So we can't really offer much of value in the picks dept. We have to win the trade with young draft picks on our squad and expiring contracts.

#50 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,308 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

From Matt Maloney's Ghost on the Ray Allen thread:

"I can't believe nobody is talking about this, but if the Rockets swing a trade for Kevin Martin for more 1st rounders from BOS, ORL has to consider this package for D HOWARD. The Rockets are just stacking up first round picks for ORL."

Right now Courtney Lee and Marcus Camby are being pursued by the C's and Knicks respectively and the Rockets may be involved in a sign and trade situation with them both. Scola is also being shopped for either a pick or an expiring contract I assume. Lowry was an asset that was geared towards a specific stage of a team and Morey parlayed that into a universally coveted asset so that was a good trade considering the stage Orlando is at. We should have around 2 first round picks next year (our lottery pick, Toronto's lottery pick) and may end up with a couple more in 2013 or 2014 by the time it's all over.

I would say the Dwight Howard are still on. It's really on for Morey and his staff. Perhaps Orlando is guiding Morey as to what they would like to receive (draft picks) and even if Orlando sits back or even goes with a different team then I like all the picks we will have. Seems like a win win situation.
                  How sweet it is!

#51 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

The Memphis pick was used to trade up 3 spots get d-mo/ flynn for miller trade if I'm not mistaken.

#52 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,308 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

thanks, you are right Steven (I just double checked on prosportstransactions.com), I will switch that, let me know if I missed something else, the idea behind my post remains the same though...
                    How sweet it is!

#53 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,308 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Looks like it might be a three man race between the Nets, Lakers and the Rockets.

http://www.cbssports...r-dwight-howard
                    How sweet it is!

#54 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                    • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

I honestly do not know why the Rockets are still trying to get dwight Howard.
                    Dwight Howard's adidas contract has a clause that will reportedly pay him over 100 million dollars in bonus if he is in a big market like LA or New York. Kobe has reportedly told him in a phone convo that he will be the 3rd option in LA. Which is why Brooklyn is his top choice and Lakers a distant second.
                    If we gut our roster and picks to get him, we will be good enough for a first round exit, another terrible draft pick, and a repeat of this off season all over again. Cos he will leave the extra 25-30 mil on the table to sign with a big market team cos he can make it back on his adidas contract.

Just when i thought the Morey has finally picked a direction, and will go young and try to start a youth movement to discover a star, he comes back with this clueless move again. WOW Morey, wow

#55 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 354 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I will never understand why we are going balls deep in Howard for a year rental. It is widely known that we are desperate for a big man, but why not go after someone who actually expressed interest in coming to Houston (Bynum)? Granted, Bynum needs a serious attitude adjustment, but he would at least be willing to stay for more than one season if traded. We wouldn't be gutting our entire squad for a rental, making trades to build around said rental, and then getting stuck with our proverbial dicks in our hands once he does his time. I can't help but wonder though, if a leader like Kobe cant change Bynum's tune, who could?
                    trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#56 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

It is widely known that we are desperate for a big man, but why not go after someone who actually expressed interest in coming to Houston (Bynum)? Granted, Bynum needs a serious attitude adjustment, but he would at least be willing to stay for more than one season if traded.

I'm just curious who you think we could trade to the Lakers for Bynum. Please lay that out for me.

#57 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 354 posts
                      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm just curious who you think we could trade to the Lakers for Bynum. Please lay that out for me.

Who do we really have to offer the Magic? I think the Lakers could/would use the draft picks to begin the "post Kobe" era. I am not saying we should go for Bynum. I AM saying that if we are going to go all in and pursue a player, it should at least be one that has no qualms playing here.

#58 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Who do we really have to offer the Magic? I think the Lakers could/would use the draft picks to begin the "post Kobe" era. I am not saying we should go for Bynum. I AM saying that if we are going to go all in and pursue a player, it should at least be one that has no qualms playing here.

Yes, but with Nash and company, the Lakers intend on contending for a title the next 2-3 years. They wouldn't short-circuit that to start rebuilding prematurely. They'd likely only trade Bynum for Howard.

#59 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 354 posts
                        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yes, but with Nash and company, the Lakers intend on contending for a title the next 2-3 years. They wouldn't short-circuit that to start rebuilding prematurely. They'd likely only trade Bynum for Howard.

I agree completely. My point is simply that if we are going to go after a bigger name through trade/FA, we should probably pick one that has interest in wearing Rockets Red. I am not sure that adding Nash makes them the best in the West (maybe I just favor the Thunder too much), but they are definitely in better shape now than they were this time last year.

#60 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,290 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

http://mobile.housto...-rockets-lakers

Rockets may be facilitating Howard trade?
                          Bomani jones video at the bottom made a good point about how everyone overpays for mediocrity in free agency

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users