Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

Discerning Morey's Philosophy - Part 8

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

My latest in that series. I talk a little bit about how we got where we are and my reasons for my primary prediction.

http://www.red94.net...hy-part-8/9705/

#2 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 88 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Morey was clearly dealt a bad hand when he took over the GM job, and his acquisition of Lowry, Scola, Landry, Dragic, Budinger, Parsons and Camby reflects that he is capable of good evaluation decisions. Moreover, David Stern's rejection of the pre-2011-12 season trade prevented Morey from benefiting from his biggest personnel move to date. So, context and circumstances certainly have worked against him being successful. Having said that, draft picks such as Joey Dorsey, Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris (the latter two at least to date) haven't helped Morey, either. Because of his situation, his margin of error is very thin.

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Having said that, draft picks such as Joey Dorsey, Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris (the latter two at least to date) haven't helped Morey, either. Because of his situation, his margin of error is very thin.

I see you're new - welcome. Always nice seeing new faces.

As for your thoughts, I have to disagree. Dorsey was a second round pick, so I don't even count that. But with Patterson and Morris, I don't really know what you were sacrificing. Let's say they had picked Kawhi Leonard instead of Morris - they wouldn't have been any better this year than they were because it would have just meant either he or Parsons wouldn't have played (as they are the same player.)

The root problem isn't these middle level players. It's that they don't have upper-level talent. And without getting bad, I don't see them getting it.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 338 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Some more fun with numbers.
          Following are combined per game points,rebounds,blocks,& combined points and assist points(assist points at 2.25 per assists to account for @ 1/4 of NBA baskets being 3s) for 4 different Centers and likely Houston PF:
          36.1, 21.1, 2.5, 4.0, 45.1 combo points
          28.3, 19.0, 2.7, 2.7, 34.3 combo points
          28.3, 15.3, 2.4, 3.7, 36.6 combo points
          25.2, 14.9, 2.0, 4.5, 35.4 combo points
          22.6, 15.8, 1.9, 3.7, 30.9 combo points

The same combos combined PER 36 Minutes averages:
          37.3, 17.7, 2.4, 4.2, 46.5 combo points
          31.3, 17.1, 2.9, 3.1, 38.2 combo points
          33.4, 18.1, 2.8, 4.4, 43.3 combo points
          34.6, 17.5, 1.7, 5.4, 46.7 combo points
          28.5, 21.3, 2.7, 4.9, 39.5 combo points

Combos are:
          Dwight(38.3 minutes/game)/Scola(31.3 minutes)
          Dwight(38.3)/Patterson(23.2)
          Hibbert(29.8)/Scola
          Gasol(37.4)/Patterson
          Camby(24.1)/Scola

Couple of points I'd like to make.
          For all the grief Scola got this past season,his production was vastly superior to Pattersons.(Check out the Per 36 numbers,they're not very good for Pat vs Luis.)

I added assists points in to show the value that passing adds to a players game.

PER 36 was used to indicate the bump in time Patterson is likely to get as a starter,and to even playing field. But there's no way Camby can average 36 minutes/game and even getting the 24 in his 19 Rocket games of this past season is unlikely. Hibbert couldn't even average 30min/game this past season,often because of foul trouble.

Sometimes numbers can result in something very different than you expect.
          These are very basic,box-score stuff,but Hibbert/Scola was a lot better than I expected and Howard/Scola vs Gasol/Scola is a lot closer that I'd have imagined Per 36.
          Of course in real world,not the PER 36,Howard's ability to stay on the court boosts his actual production.

#5 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 375 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

Am I just being dense or is there no Gasol/Scola combo listed.

#6 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 338 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

NorEastern,
              No you're not.
              I simply assumed that Scola would be traded(along w/Lowry) for Gasol.
              While replying I just now realized that Patterson,Dalembert(and either his $1.5mil buyout or his utility as a back-up C for the Lakers) and Lowry would work and still save the Lakers $4.5mil(or $9.5mil if Dally bought out). Plus there's still be a $4mil+ TPE. Hmmm...

So here's Gasol/Scola
              Actual....32.9, 16.9, 1.8, 5.8, 46.9 combo points
              Per 36....34.6, 17.5, 1.7, 5.4, 46.7 combo points

(Edit Add)
              Wow,that's pretty strong.
              And it would have advantages for Lakers,though I question whether they'd want the youth of Patterson over the win-now-ability of Scola. Still a Laker front Line of Bynum,Dally and Patterson,Hill(re-signed) and McRoberts is pretty deep,tho no star power past Bynum.

For the Rockets it offers up some intriguing combos.
              Gasol and Scola complement each other very well offensively,though the perimeter defense better be d*** strong.
              But the back-ups would be also intriguing as they could be an offense/defense pairing in Motie and Camby/Smith. Morey could then draft a project big(or Morris could get time as a stretch 4) and gamble on a wing w/big make or miss potential. Or go for a prospect PG and a SG.

#7 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 375 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

I just was confused by the reference you made to "Howard/Scola vs Gasol/Scola". Thank you for clearing it up.

I do think Scola has to go. The logjam at PF is huge. Plus Scola's contract means he cannot be moved except for a huge contract like Gasol's.

#8 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 549 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Nice work Stephen, what I get from your numbers is as long as we bolster our C position via Hibbert, Howard or Gasol, we'd have a beast of a front court regardless.While we'd be better off having Scola in either scenario, it won't be too bad with Patterson and Motie could only help the situation. If putting one of these 3 pieces in lofts us to 50+ wins, that leaves us in need of a good scoring wing to put us in actual contention. Could K-mart be that guy, or should we look elsewhere? Still not sold on Gay.

#9 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 338 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

The Lowry saga is starting to get fascinating.
                    Jim Buss just gave an interview where he said he anticipates Gasol starting for the Lakers.
                    Toronto,after the early buzz about them really liking Lowry,has been saying they are looking for a wing.
                    Orlando still doesn't have a GM.
                    Portland's new GM is sounding awfully familiar talking about need for more assets.
                    And Minn,where Kahn leaks everything and starts a bazillion rumors,has been very quiet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users