Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

Talking New Rockets Possibilities

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Everyday, as I am driving to work down highway 290 I see a sign that shows the current power-ball total, that shows the amount someone would win if they held the winning numbers ticket upon drawing time every Wednesday and Saturday. This sign give me hope that maybe, just possibly, I could be that lucky winner. I begin to dream of all of the amazing things that I could do for myself, for my family and friends and for the world and it inspires me so much that I end up stopping at a local Shell gas station to buy "the winning ticket!". When the numbers are drawn and I gaze down at my ticket to see if they match those 6 numbers on the screen, I am quickly filled with sadness and anger as I realize that I will not be receiving my big check on this drawing. I begin to get upset and feel angry, but the emotions quickly end when I wake up again the following day to see that no other winning ticket had been purchased and that winning prize just got bigger.

All to similiar with the Rockets, Morey and others in the front office, find themselves seeing their chance at another championship and driving to their player store in hopes of choosing the perfect combination of players, money and draft picks to win their next superstar. After valuable time and money assets are used to focus on this rare gem, along with the player frustrations on not knowing where home will be in the next few days, if this trade went through, the front office and the many Houston fans around the world are saddened to find out that they missed out, yet again on their prized superstar.

I like many others are tired of the constant let down of never getting the blockbuster deal that the Rockets seem to spend valuable assets in hopes of getting only to go on to the next season empty handed. Though having a star such as Howard or Gay would provide the Rockets with a chance to put them back into the elite category, the continue pursuit of reaching for the stars has only hurt the Rockets from spending their time focusing on what they have rather than what they wish were true. The philosophy's redundant failure has struck a nerve in so many that I believe a new one is needed before these trade rumors for the Rockets are left on deaf ears like "the boy who cried wolf".

With this being said if the rockets along with many who hope and dream of the Rudy Gay and Dwight Howard trade began to think logically or like a wall street broker who make millions by choosing opposite of the trade of those speculating to possibly hit big and make money, we could eliminate clear the mind and focus on a more realistic pursuit for talent that could be acquired with better odds and better success.

In the end, what I really wanted to know is what you truly believed is possible with a better percentage chance than 1/1,000,000? Make your predictions, let us know how you see the rockets next year and create some trade proposals that could help keep our current teams core intact.

Here is my take:

PG: We will resign Dragic and pay him what seems like too much now, but will be worth it later. Lowry doesn't like it and wants out so we propose a trade with the Blazers for the sixth pick because they need a point guard. The proposed trade is Lowry and a next years first round pick for the 6th pick and Craig Smith. Blazers get their PG and the Rockets who now need a PG draft Damien Lilliard who is a great character guy, to play behind Dragic and develop.

SG: We keep Kevin Martin since he is still under contract to save money and let Lee walk as we search for a free Agent replacement. Our journey lands us with OJ Mayo this offseason. With OJ's fresh start, he plays better as there is not a go to guy in Houston.

SF: We keep Parsons (under contract), Marcus Morris knabs some PT and we sign Buddinger since he will not cost us much more than what we pay him now. Parsons improves his offensive game with a full offseason and goes on to shoot 75% or better in free throws, thus producing a 15 PPG season. Morris comes in off the bench and becomes a great scorer and rebounder netting a solid 7 to 8 PPG and 6 to 7 RPG.

PF: With Scola playing steady and his great leadership, we finally decide to move Patterson in to a starters role. With our relationship with the Grizzlies, we trade for Spreights, who is rumored to be on the block. We trade Scola and our 14th or 16th pick for Spreights, so the grizzlies clear cap space to resign their star players, when scola's contract ends. Monte joins the team and shows his spurts of the possible next Dirk......

C: Spreights moves into our starting Center position. Even at 6'10", he is a good fit and athletic. we resign Camby because he will require less capital to keep. Spreights plays both the four and five and Greg Smith shows some development.

With our other first rounder either 14th or 16th I believe we take a chance with a SG or a PF/C player with choosing either Terrance Ross or Austin Rivers at SG or Perry Jones, John Henson or Arnett Moultrie at PF/C.

Team Look:
PG: Dragic and Lilliard
SG: Martin, OJ Mayo and Possibly Rivers or Ross
SF: Parsons, Morris and Buddinger
PF: Patterson, Spreights and Monte (possibly Henson, Jones or Moultrie)
C: Spreights, Dalembert, Camby (Possibly Henson or Moultrie)

Sounds crazy but would be interesting to see. We still keep many of our core players in this. I could see Buddinger leaving, dalembert leaving and Martin being traded to a contender team for a player of similar salary.

#2 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

I honestly don't think we have a realistic shot at Dwight Howard. BBall forums everywhere are filled with scenarios of how their teams can get Dwight, but Rockets fans seem to actually think they have a shot.
My reasons are these- 1) In order to trade Dwight, Orlando would ask for a combination of budding future all stars, expiring contracts or large contracts to make the contracts work- none of which we have- Lowry does not count as a budding star cos he is not.
2) Morey has not proven he can close the big deal yet. His biggest free agent signing is Ariza- no longer with team, biggest draft picks- Brooks/Landry- no longer with team, biggest trade- Martin- gave up Landry. I doubt Morey will change anytime soon.

I believe the player with the best future on our squad is Dragic. Until a quality big man is discovered, the team should be constructed around him. And Why oh why did we waste that contract on Dalembert or trade for granny Camby.

I have a question tho? Why trade for/draft Lilliard to put him on the bench. From all indications and what I read about him, he is Derrek Rose-lite and is ready to command his team. Dragic on the other hand has played backup to Nash for a longtime before backing Lowry and has said he wants his own team. Also, Dragic is still young and if he is our pg for the future, that means Lilliard will be a backup for the next 5-7 years unless we want to start a another starting pg controversy.

#3 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

i have to agree with red stewie . why sign a point guard like Lilliard who has massive talent and potential .. just to be a back up for several years . thats a waste of talent and could risk a chance of another problem between two point guards trying to take over a starting spot . Same situation with Austin Rivers , why draft a guy like that just so he can be a THIRD option at the 2 off the bench . I do however agree with re- signing dragic and keeping Martin . i still think Kevin Martin can be a 20 ppg guy for us easily . and for us to have Oj Mayo backing up Martin ? that would be a lethal combination . Of course we keep parsons and have marcus morris back him up . But i disagree with the PF and C positions . For PF I really believe we should sign Ersan Ilyasova because the guy has improved his game so much and is only going to get better , he has a bright future . For the C position i cant come up with any REALISTIC name besides Chris Kaman . This guy is the only center who is a former all star , that we can realistically get ( Only issues is the injuries ) . As for Lowry and Scola i believe we can trade both of them for a player who is AT LEAST close to an all star . i have no players in mind though . Anyways , Jared Allen , your team and current lineup is not going to make our team better and is not going to help us get into the playoffs . We would be lucky for that team to even be a 9th seed again . We have to get better players such as all stars and superstars not mediocore players . And we especially cant sit around waiting and praying for our rookies to be franchise saving players .

#4 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

This makes me question your definition of mediocre???

#5 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

mediocre = average players . Last time i checked Patterson , Speights , Dalembert , Camby , and our whole bench are full of averaged players . Lowry Dragic Martin Scola and Parsons are the only players on our team that do more than average . But dont forget that 3 of those 5 people will likely be traded so we need to get some real talent and all stars on this team . but that is obviously
easier said than done

#6 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

By the way , Red Stewie .. getting Dwight Howard in a rockets uniform is actually not that difficult . The difficult part is trying to make him stay and re-sign with us . So its not like we have a 0% chance of getting him because with the right deal , we
can aquire him . The Magic are not going to take the risk and let him walk , they will trade him . We have the best package and the best assets than anyone else has to offer . So im feeling pretty confident about the possibility of getting DH12 . The only team that can MAYBE try and propose a trade that would be better than ours would be the Clippers . They could offer Blake Griffin , DeAndre Jordan , Eric Bledsoe , Mo Williams , and Ryan Gomes + picks for Dwight Howard and Turkolu . But i cant see the Clippers parting ways with Blake Griffin any time soon so like i said we have a good chance .

#7 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

We will not have Dwight Howard next season! Dream on bro!

#8 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

AMACBROOKS12, Kindly do me a favor and tell me what package we have to get Dwight. Please factor in salary, skills and number of players on each roster.

And speaking about mediocre/average- Ersan Ilyasova & Chris Kaman.
Why get rid of junk to bring in more junk

And also you think "Blake Griffin , DeAndre Jordan , Eric Bledsoe , Mo Williams" would be adequate to get Dwight+fillers.
That should tell you exactly the value of Dwight. And the clippers have zero need for Dwight

#9 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Sorry but there are no teams in the league that have zero need for Dwight. At this point in time any trade for dwight is considered a rental, which dramatically drops his trade value down. With that in mind, not only is there no way the Clippers give up those players for Dwight, but it doesn't mean they have zero need-the need just doesn't outweigh what they would be giving up(the entire reason a Rockets deal is more likely). We have no reason to hold back anybody in a trade for Dwight, although there are players I believe are highly unlikely to be traded for him as a rental.

#10 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
    • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

The Clippers have zero need for Dwight because he's going to clog up the paint and reduce the effectiveness of Blake.
    Also to get him, they would have to lose either Dwight or CP3- do you see that happening?

I know the Clippers organization have made several dumb decisions over the years, but I doubt they are this dumb.

#11 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 148 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Blakecouey makes a good point as to the diminishing value of Dwight due to him only having one year left on his contract. He is considered a rental as he will go to a contender team who can offer him the max contract. Also his maturity would be a huge concern of mine as he doesn't seem serious about playing the game of basketball or acting like an adult. Mediocre is better understood now, but I would say Speights would be an upgrade to any center we have now. Lilliard would be a great character guy and would get plenty of playing time with his great size and the rockets enjoying a 2 PG line up. Lee provides defense, martin offense and I truly believe that Rivers will come out as the best SG or player in this draft. His confidence, offensive game and being coached by his father Doc Rivers will help him develop into a great player. Confidence is an important asset to have for a young guy. I could see him being a monta Ellis type of player. Patterson has never had a true chance to get comfortable in the starting role and it is still TBD how Parsons and Morris will fair in year two (improve or fail). Are weak spot was at center and if we had a consistent 15PPG 10RPG player like Speights, the 4 or 5 games between 10th place and 5th place would put us in to top 6 teams. I believe if Kmart would have been healthy we might have squeaked in. Who knows. In the end, the teams only weak spot is Center as we are secure everywhere else. Get consistency in that position, while keeping the team we have and we win 5 to 10 more games and are playoff bound.

#12 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 148 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

Points Per 48 Minutes Leaders - Qualified Centers

RK PLAYER TEAM GP MPG PTS FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% 1 Al Jefferson, C UTAH 61 34.0 27.1 11.9-24.2 .492 0.0-0.1 .250 3.2-4.1 .774 2 Tim Duncan, C SA 58 28.2 26.3 10.6-21.5 .493 0.0-0.1 .000 5.1-7.3 .695 3 Andrew Bynum, C LAL 60 35.2 25.5 10.1-18.1 .558 0.0-0.1 .200 5.3-7.7 .692 4 Tiago Splitter, C SA 59 19.0 23.5 9.1-14.7 .618 0.0-0.0 .000 5.4-7.8 .691 5 Greg Monroe, C DET 66 31.5 23.4 9.4-18.0 .521 0.0-0.0 .000 4.6-6.3 .739 6 Marcin Gortat, C PHX 66 32.0 23.1 9.7-17.5 .555 0.0-0.0 .000 3.7-5.7 .649 7 JaVale McGee, C DEN/WSH 61 25.2 21.6 9.6-17.3 .556 0.0-0.0 .000 2.4-5.2 .461 8 Roy Hibbert, C IND 65 29.8 20.7 8.2-16.6 .497 0.0-0.0 .000 4.2-5.9 .711 9 Byron Mullens, C CHA 65 22.5 19.9 8.2-19.4 .425 0.4-1.7 .235 3.0-3.7 .821 10 Derrick Favors, FC UTAH 65 21.3 19.8 7.7-15.4 .499 0.0-0.0 .000 4.4-6.7 .649 RK PLAYER TEAM GP MPG PTS FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% 11 Channing Frye, C PHX 64 26.1 19.4 7.3-17.6 .416 2.6-7.6 .346 2.1-2.4 .890 12 Marc Gasol, C MEM 65 36.5 19.3 7.2-15.0 .482 0.0-0.2 .083 4.8-6.4 .748 13 Marreese Speights, C MEM 60 22.4 18.8 7.9-17.4 .453 0.0-0.1 .000 3.0-3.9 .771 14 Robin Lopez, C PHX 64 14.0 18.7 6.7-14.4 .461 0.0-0.0 .000 5.4-7.5 .714 15 Jason Thompson, C SAC 64 25.9 16.9 6.9-12.8 .535 0.0-0.1 .000 3.2-5.2 .602

This is the PPG per 48 minutes by Centers last season. Speights sits 13th while sharing ball time with Marc Gasol at 12. I do not see Dwight Howard in the top 15. I have also noticed Speights has only averaged 20 MPG and 9PPG, but when he plays over 30MPG he has averaged 16PPG and 8 RPG.

#13 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,297 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

With your ideas the rockets get the 8 seed and get swept by okc. Mayo would be anice addition he's only a good 6th man. Speights is an average center who had one decent season with memphis his last year. Portland wouldn't do Lowry for the 6th pick when they could just take lillard there. Dwight would be pretty easy to get Lowry Martin/dalembert parsons Morris and next years number 1 is better than anyone but the nets would offer (Lopez Brooks+picks). So they have a 50/50 shot at getting Howard unless Golden state or some other team sacks up and is willing to rent Dwight for more. Draft Terrance Ross at 14 and moe harkless at 16 and they would have a good team with a chance to get dwill.

#14 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 148 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

I think both Mayo and Speights would pan out better in the Rockets run and gun system. Both are very athletic and like to run the floor.

#15 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,590 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

I think both Mayo and Speights would pan out better in the Rockets run and gun system. Both are very athletic and like to run the floor.

Ive been all for Mayo, and still am hoping we find a way to get him, but Mayo and Speights wouldnt make us a contender, we need more. Odds are neither would become stars that are capable of being the best on their team, and for that reason that can't possibly be all we go for. I also havent mentioned it yet but you have us retaining Martin, grabbing Mayo in FA, and then drafting a SG with a first rounder, WHY? This isnt football, stacking one position does little to nothing for your team. Also, if you're going to pay Mayo enough to get him away from Memphis(who can match offers) it's not a good idea to keep him behind Martin's contract-pick one, not both or else it's way too much money paid for a single position(not to mention the draft pick you want at SG as well). This leaves out the whole Lilliard thing, which in my opinion is the same-Dragic/Lowry are young no need to waste a high pick on their back up.

#16 JarredAllen

JarredAllen

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 148 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Good point! I left out a bunch of info from my post such as possibly trading martin so that Mayo is the starter. Also lets look at our team as if it were like Moneyball. By adding more points, rebounds, defenders, healthy players in key positions we would win 10 to 15 more games putting us in the top four for contention. Our team would grow from the success and other star players would have interest in joining our team to make a run at the championship. We need to take large baby steps and not assume that as soon as we get D Howard, we go straight to the ship.

#17 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 216 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Do you think Sacramento finally admits Tyreke Evans is a 2 and trades the 5th pick for Lowry(plus whatever else is needed to make it work future first and cash etc). If we can get that fifth pick we can roll the dice on drummond and move Dalembert. I think Morey needs a high pick and is more willing to spend to get it this year but I don't see him being able to get any higher then 5th. No team that high would value anything we had to offer.

#18 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 161 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Thats not a bad idea , and honestly i dont know too much about the Kings .. but why would they want Lowry if they already have a young proven point guard in Isiah Thomas .

#19 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,297 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

Thats not a bad idea , and honestly i dont know too much about the Kings .. but why would they want Lowry if they already have a young proven point guard in Isiah Thomas .

Agreed they wouldn't want Lowry for the 5th pick.

#20 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

One year for one of the worst teams in basketball is hardly proven. Lowry and 16 really should be enough if that's the way they were looking to go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users