Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

The OKC Thunder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

This post may come off as sour grapes, but I don't care - it's how I feel. Am I the only person who's getting incredibly annoyed by the media's coverage of everything related to the Thunder? For that reason alone, I want more than anything for the Heat to win.
    • Westbrook - This has nothing to do with coverage, I just can't stand this guy as a player. I hate his style and I hate more than anything his fake tough guy act as evidenced by his reaction when Dragic was eating his lunch.
    • Durant - I'm a UT alum, so Durant's my guy. He does everything right - keeps his mouth shut and just plays. But stop trying to remind us about how great a human being he is in some attempt to make Lebron look like the Devil. I doubt Durant would be as quiet and content had he landed on that Cleveland team instead of OKC and those other lottery picks.
    • Sam Presti - these last two are the most annoying. Presti is hailed as some innovative genius. What has he really done that's been so great? He had a clean slate, terrible team, and made use of his lottery picks. Have we set the bar so low now that just NOT messing up a high pick is considered genius? They lucked into Portland taking Oden, thus getting Durant. If that hadn't happened, maybe even the Westbrook/Harden picks don't look as good. The only move he's really made that has been eye-opening was drafting Ibaka and every other "good" GM has a feather in their hat of that sort.
    • The fans - stop shoving down our throats how great their fans are and how every last person wore blue. Come back to me when that team has had more than ONE losing season. Then let's see how devoted they are.

#2 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, it comes off sour... maybe even a little bit jealous sounding that the franchise took the simplest, most proven route to success and it worked. I hear an undertone of "that could be us if Les didn't insist on being so damned competitive every year". I'm with you on Westbrook, he's just good but not great although he surely shows he thinks he is. The biggest difference in Durant and LeBron as far as their attitude goes can be summed up to 4 years of college, and a good one at that. I'm sure Durant counts his lucky stars everyday that he didn't land somewhere miserable like SEA and POR and instead landed closer to home. LeBron was surrounded with some decent players in CLE I don't think he had an issue with the roster as much as he did with Brown and Management, because neither are of the quality to bring a title to a team, just a shame it took LBJ so long to see the light. With you on Presti, he was just doing his job the same way any qualified individual would have done it in the same position. The Thunder is all the entire state of OK has as far as pro sports go, I believe their fans will be with them through thick and thin, which stems from the nature of their adoration with OU and OSU. OK is more of a BBall state than many give them credit for, OU, OSU and Tulsa have a pretty rich history.

I'm pulling for OKC because they built the team the right way unlike MIA and their forced star collaboration.

What's everybody's opinion on Harden? Is he Von Wafer 2.0? Bosh-lite? Or will he be a bonafide star? 3rd options often enjoy elevated statistics because of the nature of their role, and I think Harden is a recipient of these benefits more than anything. I think if he were promoted to 1st or 2nd option, and teams scout to stop him primarily, that he'll become less effective.

#3 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 182 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hey, here's a post I sink my teeth into.

On Westbrook, I agree with you on his attitude, but how can you hate the mid-range jumper game coupled with the freakish speed and athleticism? Almost no one shoots mid-range jumpers anymore and if he matures as a player (and person), he's got the tools to be one of the absolute best guards we've ever seen.

On Durant, his story is in obvious contrast with LeBron's and everything has to be the best or worst thing ever in our ADD, internet-driven culture, so the media doesn't surprise me. Even if it did bother me, it's not like Durant did anything to court it (he's had no Decisions).

Presti is where I think you're farthest off. Drafting well isn't something can just be expected to do (see virtually every draft in NBA history for myriad examples of this). If that were the case then no good drafts could ever be applauded. Both his picks of Harden and Westbrook were seen as incredible reaches at the time (neither were projected as high as he took them), thus logic would indicate most teams wouldn't have made those same picks. Presti therefore did BETTER than the average GM would've done in those cases. MUCH better. To top it off, he got Ibaka with the 24th pick, for God's sake. His draft record is nothing short of stellar. And although Perkins hasn't been great in these playoffs, I think Presti should also get a fair amount of credit for the Jeff Green trade.

As a writer covering the Finals, there are only so many things to cover with a team like OKC. The city and franchise are boring. The fans are significantly better than other teams', so that seems like an obvious thing to cover. They got a 44 tv share in OKC for game 1 (compared to a 30 share in Miami). That city loves that team and someone writing from a terrible fan city like Houston should especially appreciate how special a thing that is.

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

1. Were Westbrook and Harden that great of reaches? From what I recall, I don't remember really that much surprise for either of those picks. They already had Westbrook, so they weren't going to take Rubio (instead of Harden.)

2. As for your final point, I disagree: look at how Houston fans packed Reliant Stadium or Minute Maid during the Astros' World Series runs. Houston fans can be just as loud and passionate - they've just had nothing to cheer for. How can we blame them for being jaded now after over a decade of irrelevance?

#5 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 182 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

1. Were Westbrook and Harden that great of reaches? From what I recall, I don't remember really that much surprise for either of those picks. They already had Westbrook, so they weren't going to take Rubio (instead of Harden.)

2. As for your final point, I disagree: look at how Houston fans packed Reliant Stadium or Minute Maid during the Astros' World Series runs. Houston fans can be just as loud and passionate - they've just had nothing to cheer for. How can we blame them for being jaded now after over a decade of irrelevance?

I've personally never seen a Houston crowd that nears the enthusiasm that that OKC crowd is showing. During Yao and McGrady's best years, most of the seats didn't fill in until the 2nd quarter. OKC has literally the loudest crowd in the NBA - it's a legit story.

And Westbrook was sitting at 7-8 on most mock drafts heading into that 2008 draft. Harden at around 5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users