Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

Rudy Gay

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Nobody's claiming he's as good as Gay now, they're comparing rookie seasons and are inferring as to Parson's potential versus Gay's apex, which, unless somebody has a time machine, will be only arguable and unable to be proved at this time as being preposterous. Bottom line is Parsons is pretty good now and will improve, Gay is moderately better than Parson's now, but you won't see much improvement in him.

Speaking of preposterous: 'Plus, all these minutes Parsons is getting as a starter is diminishing the potential of a player with star quality on our roster (Morris)".

Apparently if you have the ability to take your man off the dribble and get your shot, just that ability alone gives you "star quality". Forget about your inability to adequately cover your own opponent on D or help at all when needed, pass the ball to an open guy, or beat your opponent out for rebounds more often than not.

Lol at Gay is moderately better than Parsons now.
Parsons is not a skilled player unless you consider put back dunks a skill, he's more of a hustler. Hustles a lot and hopefully is in the right place at the right time. In effect, he's a lucky player. He gets his points two ways, wide open/put back dunks, or wide open 3's.
Parsons can not create his shot, he lacks that skill.
And thats one of those skills you need to have before you enter the NBA if you want it in your arsenal.

Parsons will never be better offensively that Rudy Gay, Never. I doubt our squad will be as terrible as it was this year.
And don't forget the same way people are high on Parsons now was the same they were with Budinger.

And yeah, I mentioned Morris because the Rockets are so good at picking talet (BS by the way), yet are terrible at player development.

Lets see, going into last season, you had T-will, Budinger, and sometimes C,Lee playing sf (I think we had other scrub forwards like Caroll but im stiking with this 3.)
As a gm, you already knew the issues with T-Will not getting any pt last season and if I remember right, Morey claimed a new coach will fix it the next year.
However, you went and drafted 2 extra sf, one in first round and another in the second round, without trading any of former mentioned sf, creating a logjam and a lot of angst among the players.
If you wanted Parsons, why draft Morris- sounds like a waste of perfectly good first round pick to me, why not draft at another position. And vice versa.
And its not as if Parsons is wayyyyyyy better than all the other sf. No marginally better because he can play D, cos Budinger is a better shooter than he is and T-Will is a better scorer and ball handler than he is.

I will leave it at that, yall can stay on Parons jockstrap until he is relegated to benh duty soon or traded for another wack player- cos in Morey we do not trust

#22 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

Uhmmmm and you are going to have Gay defend LBJ, Kobe, KD for how long? Oh wait. Until he sees their bu** crack. And how would you rate an Iggy type player vs. Gay? Who would you rather have? Parsons was a rookie and he was left 1v1 on the NBA offensive elite for most of the shot clock. How valuable was that? Ok I will give you a clue - invaluable. And he averaged 9.5/4.8/2.1 as a rookie without a training camp.

So the Rockets picked up in the last draft a potential dud at the 14th, a starting SF who is an elite defender in the second round, and a PF at #23 who has one of the top 3 upsides in the upcoming rookie class. And yes I do know a ton about D-Mo. I have watched a dozen of his games and discussed them live with Lithuanians (who have followed him since he was 16) and some very knowledgeable BB individuals, with a focus on both his faults and his progress as a BB player.

So dude get a clue. It is all about facts and not your opinion.

#23 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
    • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

For your info, kobe is a sg- i think c.lee defends him not Parsons.
    And who do you think is guarding those wings in Memphis

This is not even an arguement. On any team worth anything, Parsons is not a starter.
    But I guess Rockets fans have become used to so much mediocrity that a player like Parsons is the second coming of Pippen.

#24 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 375 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

For your info, kobe is a sg- i think c.lee defends him not Parsons.
      And who do you think is guarding those wings in Memphis

This is not even an arguement. On any team worth anything, Parsons is not a starter.
      But I guess Rockets fans have become used to so much mediocrity that a player like Parsons is the second coming of Pippen.

Don't advertise your lack of knowledge. Parsons defended Kobe in every game they played last year. That is why he is so valuable. The best wing always has some Parsons smeared all over him. Upside - Iggy. Almost there defensively. And a rookie without an off season to learn the NBA game.

#25 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
      • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, thats why Parsons is the best player on the Rockets and won the MVP.
      GTFO with that Parsons arguement.

Is Parsons good on defense- yes. Is he great- No
      Can he hit wide open 3s- yes, sometimes
      Can he create for himself and others- no

At best, he is a 7th man on a good squad

#26 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 375 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

I do apologize for that last comment. It was rude. It will not happen again guy.

I spend a lot of time analyzing BB. It is a very complex subject. Unless I am simply stating fact I try to throw in a liberal amount of IMHO and "I believe that ...". It seems like every day I am discussing zipper cuts in the Rockets offense or talking with Lithuanian BB gurus and I have my mistakes pointed out to me. So while I know a lot about BB, my analysis sometimes is faulty. I guess what I am trying to say is that we all have our opinions. And it is all OK if we state them as opinions.

I again apologize for being rude.

#27 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
        • 1,590 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

I do apologize for that last comment. It was rude. It will not happen again guy.

I spend a lot of time analyzing BB. It is a very complex subject. Unless I am simply stating fact I try to throw in a liberal amount of IMHO and "I believe that ...". It seems like every day I am discussing zipper cuts in the Rockets offense or talking with Lithuanian BB gurus and I have my mistakes pointed out to me. So while I know a lot about BB, my analysis sometimes is faulty. I guess what I am trying to say is that we all have our opinions. And it is all OK if we state them as opinions.

I again apologize for being rude.

No need to apologize, Stewie is consistent on one thing - being wrong.

7th best player on a good team, that's a joke. The statistics Stephen commented earlier prove that Parsons is a good player: Very good on Defense, average on Offense. The fact that he gets those put back dunks shows that he has a high BB IQ as well, as most are completed because of good positioning and great awareness. Gay is a quality SF, and the more I think about it, the less I would want him for what we'd be giving up(namely Parsons). Parsons does much more than contribute during the game as well, he has been the biggest addition to our team in years as far as the fan base is concerned. It's not often a rookie 2nd round pick gets the attention Parsons has.
          In all, I think there are better trades to be had out there.

#28 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 375 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

No need to apologize, Stewie is consistent on one thing - being wrong.

7th best player on a good team, that's a joke. The statistics Stephen commented earlier prove that Parsons is a good player: Very good on Defense, average on Offense. The fact that he gets those put back dunks shows that he has a high BB IQ as well, as most are completed because of good positioning and great awareness. Gay is a quality SF, and the more I think about it, the less I would want him for what we'd be giving up(namely Parsons). Parsons does much more than contribute during the game as well, he has been the biggest addition to our team in years as far as the fan base is concerned. It's not often a rookie 2nd round pick gets the attention Parsons has.
            In all, I think there are better trades to be had out there.

Thank you for your support. I am more than capable of demolishing people who state their opinions as facts. But it always somehow leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I would much rather work with people to reach an accord. Get them to do the research and present facts. But as I stated earlier if we want Gay we should just offer Parsons. I believe it should get the get the job done. They are in salary cap limbo. If they want to improve they need to enter luxury cap hell or accept a Parsons for Gay trade. And I am not sure that the Rockets would benefit. In fact the salary cap hit would probably make the trade totally unpalatable.

#29 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 375 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

A few fascinating BB articles:

http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm

http://www.freakonom...tery-treadmill/

And I do have analysis of 2012 draft pick value and going for the title now vs. rebuilding and waiting for 2014-2015. Among others.

#30 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 549 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Stewie---" Lol at Gay is moderately better than Parsons now.
                Parsons is not a skilled player unless you consider put back dunks a skill, he's more of a hustler. Hustles a lot and hopefully is in the right place at the right time. In effect, he's a lucky player. He gets his points two ways, wide open/put back dunks, or wide open 3's.
                Parsons can not create his shot, he lacks that skill.
                And thats one of those skills you need to have before you enter the NBA if you want it in your arsenal."

Again, you're only talking about one aspect of a man's game, and the only one where Gay has any upside over Parsons. Parsons will be a more COMPLETE player 6 years from now compared to what Gay is today. As shown by T-will and Morris, "getting your own shot" in the NBA versus NCAA, are two totally different animals, and every rookie save for LBJ needs to re-learn this when entering the NBA and Parsons has shown the ability to learn and has the necessary physical qualities. After a sophomore season and a summer training camp, it will be interesting to assess his improvements.

The debate is between Parsons' potential and Gay's ceiling, and the consensus here leans toward Parsons.

The Rockets can improve drastically one of two ways, either blow up the roster in pursuit of current stars that may end up in being only rentals, or continue along with small improvements like we have the past 3 years. I'm really torn as to which I prefer, but if the former, I don't think Gay would be the piece I pursued mostly because of the price tag.

#31 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,323 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

it's pretty funny if you comment on NBA basketball and you don't realize Parsons covered Kobe relatively effectively in a couple of the match ups, hell Kobe even gave him credit:

"I think he has a bright future. I don't say that about a lot of players."-Kobe after going 10 for 27 commenting on Chandler Parsons
                I can't stand the Warriors!

#32 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

You know, apart from Alituro- who have had some insightful posts in the other forums, the rest of yall NorEastern, Blake and feelingsonic have some of th dumbest basketball opinions I have ever read. Not just in this post, but in the others, especially you Blake, Sonic is more of a groupie- quick to agree on any dumb ideas you throw out.

But I will make my last point clear and quit replying, cos its very stupid that I am on here arguing about who is better, Chandler freaking Parsons or Rudy Gay.

I haven't seen anything to make me think Parsons is a future star in the NBA, not even all star or superstar but plain star.
                He had all those stats on a depleted rockets roster where he was getting tons on minutes as a rookie.
                He only had 2 things going for him last season, hustle and defense- which is expected when you are a 2nd rd pick trying to prove a point.

I am not a supporter of trading for Rudy Gay. This team does not need him or his contract. But I wouldnt go as far as comparing Parsons to him

#33 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

However hearing people claim Parsons is as good as Rudy, which is what Im inferring from the above posts and stats posted is just preposterous

I don't think Parsons is a better player than Gay. But at their respective pricetags, like I said, "give me Parsons any day over Gay."

That's the point about any of these discussions. Things need to be viewed within context. A $15million non-star isn't going to help this team more than a guy is contributes a bit less but makes $800k. We have a salary cap and other needs to address.

#34 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,323 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

I also never wrote that Parsons was better than Gay. I wrote one thing that seemed pretty simple, that Parsons did cover Kobe. You might be a little too thick Stewie though at least you like basketball so I will let it slide. Somebody has to be that silly ridiculous message board guy ready to hurl insults he never would in person. All in all pretty funny stuff...

#35 wtflife

wtflife

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

I never never like to defend Red Stewie, but in this case everyone seems to be arguing Parsons will be better than Gay in a few years. I think this disregards two things. Stewie brings up a single very good point. Parsons cannot be your offensive creator now. I don't believe he will ever have that ability.

I think we should also realize that Parsons who already plays mentally sound like Patterson is more than likely not going to have a huge jump in productivity. His shot will clean up some, but he isn't going to become a great shooter (hopefully good) and he certainly isn't suddenly going to have an NBA level ability to dribble and break down defenders.

Thus I think Red Stewie is right about us being a little too in love with Chandler Parsons and while we shouldn't get Rudy Gay because of his contract. If they had the same contract today, or even were withing the same order of magnitude then it would be a sound trade.

To win in the NBA you need someone that can score in isolation and then you need to come up with good schemes to let them attack and break down a defense. You do need to play good defense, but unless you can win a one on one matchup you won't ever amount to anything.

#36 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,323 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

I never wrote Parsons was better than Gay.

#37 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 182 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yeah, I like Parsons a lot, but sweet Moses some of you guys come off as homers. He's a good hustle player; not a potential all-star.

And keeping cheap guys to preserve salary when no one wants to sign here strikes me as short-sighted too.

#38 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 338 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

The funny part about the whole discussion is it was based on an internet "report" by some guy claiming that the Grizz needed to trade Gay so they could pay OJ Mayo to stay. Mayo,who Memphis has been trying to unload for a couple of yrs now!
                        And with the Grizz just sold to some young billionaire,the alleged money reasons for trading Gay may have just vanished.

As far as the original idea of Michael's,that Houston could trade for Gay and Howard,I again question why bother with Gay.
                        Martin scores more,gets to the line more and is cheaper.
                        If you can trade for Howard,you don't need Gay.
                        A Lee/Gay combo would be substantially more expensive than a Martin/Parsons pairing,might be marginally better defensively,but pretty even in everything else except Martin/Parsons would score more.
                        If on the other hand we're comparing a Parsons/Lee pairing vs the others,you get substantially less scoring,much better defense,better rebounding and substantially cheaper.

#39 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 161 posts
                        • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

Thats exactly what I believe as well . we dont even need gay when we have kevin martin who averages 5 more points than gay does in a good season ( he averaged 24 ppg last year ) . i also dont know why so many people want to trade kmart just because he had 1 bad year due to injuries and a new offense . kevin martin can get his shot off whenever he wants , everyone keeps saying we need a guy who can create his own shot .. well hello we have a guy like that . he is such a great scorer that even when he has a terrible season like this season , he still averaged 17 points . i rather pair up martin with dragic than dragic and lee anyday because i highly doubt courtney lee will ever be an elite scorer the way martin is .

#40 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 375 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

You know, apart from Alituro- who have had some insightful posts in the other forums, the rest of yall NorEastern, Blake and feelingsonic have some of th dumbest basketball opinions I have ever read. Not just in this post, but in the others, especially you Blake, Sonic is more of a groupie- quick to agree on any dumb ideas you throw out.

But I will make my last point clear and quit replying, cos its very stupid that I am on here arguing about who is better, Chandler freaking Parsons or Rudy Gay.

I haven't seen anything to make me think Parsons is a future star in the NBA, not even all star or superstar but plain star.
                          He had all those stats on a depleted rockets roster where he was getting tons on minutes as a rookie.
                          He only had 2 things going for him last season, hustle and defense- which is expected when you are a 2nd rd pick trying to prove a point.

I am not a supporter of trading for Rudy Gay. This team does not need him or his contract. But I wouldnt go as far as comparing Parsons to him

Stewie - I can help you to become a much more effective poster. You would not be the subject to such distain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users