Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

Rudy Gay

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

I found this interesting: http://tracking.si.c.../?sct=nba_t2_a9

The Memphis Grizzlies will consider trading Rudy Gay this offseason, league sources told Hoops World‘s Alex Kennedy.
    Gay, 25, is owed $53 million over the next three seasons. He has been mentioned in trade rumors over the past two seasons, but Kennedy reports things should grow more serious this summer.

The report lists the Golden State Warriors, Toronto Raptors, Brooklyn Nets and Orlando Magic as teams possibly interested in Gay.

The Grizzlies fell to the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round of the playoffs this year. Gay averaged 19 points per game in the series but shot only 21 percent from behind the three-point line.

http://www.red94.net...oved-play/9379/

As many of you may remember, I brought up the topic of the Rockets' draft with Gay this year back when I saw him.

As I explain in the piece, I still think the Rockets made the right move. I also don't expect them to have any interest with his current pricetag.

#2 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 549 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

That price tag is REALLLY High.. At this point in his career and with our current situation, I think he could be the exact kind of impact player we need at wing. OH the sweet redemption if we could package Lowry in such a trade and bench his a** behind Conley once again. Alot rides on how the draft goes to be behind a trade for Gay, but, and I don't care to figure the math, I would be willing to part with any combo of Bud/Lowry/Scola/Patterson/Lee in pursuit of him. He would be a nice piece to build off of, which is curious, because he was that piece for Memphis, why are they so quick to slough him off?

#3 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,590 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

Read reports that he would more likely be going to Philly for Igoudala but the fact of him being on the block at all gives hope. Like said before we have enough good pieces that we can make a tempting deal to any team. Even with the money left on the contract he is nowhere near old yet(nor will he be at the expiration) and he can play dynamic basketball still. My only question is if there are any unknown reasons why Morey traded him for Battier, as shown it was *most likely* a good trade.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 338 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

The Rockets already have Rudy Gay,they just call him Kevin Martin :)

#5 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 161 posts
          • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

even if we were to trade for rudy gay , would that mean we would have to give up chandler parsons ? because i dont think the grizzlies would want kyle lowry just to be a backup for conley .

#6 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 182 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

I assumed Memphis would be looking to dump salary heading into the offseason, so I imagine they'd not want to take back a Martin or Scola-like contract. Would Parsons, Patterson and our two first rounders be enough?

Then you could consider dumping Kevin Martin on Minnesota and perhaps a Lowry and Scola to LAL for Gasol deal, leaving you with a starting five of:

Dragic
            Lee
            Gay
            Gasol
            Camby

I'd certainly take that over our current crop.

#7 MichaelPina

MichaelPina

• Members
            • Pip
            • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

My thoughts on why going after Rudy Gay is a step in the right direction: http://www.red94.net...-rudy-gay/9687/

#8 wtflife

wtflife

• Members
              • Pip
              • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

I agree Rudy Gay would be an upgrade, but he is massively overpaid. He has all the talent in the world but doesn't seem to put it together. He should have scored 30 a game against the Clippers without trying. They had nobody that should have been able to cover him. He played very poorly in that series and his team lost as a result. That is a very small sample size, but he has always struck me as a better athlete than basketball player.

He has been in the league playing lots of minutes for many years now. I don't think it is realistic to expect him to make the leap to a truly franchise player level (it probably would have happened by now). Paying huge contracts to players like Rudy Gay and Igoudala is the best way to guarantee you won't win a title for a long time.

#9 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                • Guests

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Let me get this right, we didn't get him when he was dirt cheap and fell into our lap on draft day, now we want him when he is expensive, had some injuries/surgeries and proven that while he might hit some game winners, he's is not someone to build around.
                The Rudy Gay story has "what could have been" written all over it. If we had drafted him, we would have easily paired hi up with Yao when T-Mac started being T-Mac.

Now, I wouldn't trade for him, not with that pricetag and not as a franchise player player

#10 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 338 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

To repeat something I wrote in a response to Michael Pina's Gay/Howard trades:
                  And for a fun comparison,Gay's rookie season vs Parsons':
                  Gay.........12.4PER...27.0 minutes/game...10.8 points....422%/.364% on threes(his second highest career%)...4.5 rebounds...1.2 assists
                  Parsons...13.3PER...28.6 minutes/game.....9.5points.....452%/.337% on threes(.370% in last half of season)...4.8 rebounds....2.1 assists

I just don't feel the love for a player who in his six seasons has averaged 20 points a game ONCE,his second yr where he averages 20.1ppg.
                  He's never averaged 20ppg Per 36 minutes.

#11 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

To repeat something I wrote in a response to Michael Pina's Gay/Howard trades:
                  And for a fun comparison,Gay's rookie season vs Parsons':
                  Gay.........12.4PER...27.0 minutes/game...10.8 points....422%/.364% on threes(his second highest career%)...4.5 rebounds...1.2 assists
                  Parsons...13.3PER...28.6 minutes/game.....9.5points.....452%/.337% on threes(.370% in last half of season)...4.8 rebounds....2.1 assists

I just don't feel the love for a player who in his six seasons has averaged 20 points a game ONCE,his second yr where he averages 20.1ppg.
                  He's never averaged 20ppg Per 36 minutes.

I don't wanna call you any bad names, but in what world would any person compare Rudy Gay to Parsons.

#12 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 338 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

Call me all the bad names you want...it's the internet,and I don't take it personally. I might whimper a little bit,but I won't cry :)

As to what world I compare the two,the one we all live in,where in their respective rookie seasons,Gay scored a hair more,rebounded less,had fewer assists and a lower PER playing the same position as Parsons.
                    The world where Memphis w/out an injured Gay won the first Play-Off Series in their history and took OKC to seven games.
                    The world where Memphis w/a healthy Gay lost in the First Rd,despite having Home Court.

I'm saying Gay and Parsons put up extremely close numbers as rookies,w/Gay having a scoring edge and everything else to Parsons.
                    Will Parsons make the jump to 20ppg scorer? Unlikely,but then Gay hasn't really done it either.
                    Over the next three yrs,which is likelier,Gay is going to learn to play outstanding defense and become a playmaker for his teammates,or Parsons will learn how to score more? At $16mil+ a yr,you better be getting All-Star production and you haven't so far.

(Edit add)
                    Is Gay better than Parsons right now? While Parsons is a better defender and playmaker,I'd agree Gay is better overall (tho not 18 times better in salary diff.) But what about next yr? Gay will still probably have the edge. But the yr after that?
                    If you look up the rookie seasons of Gay,Granger($3mil+ cheaper,3 seasons of 20ppg+,currently 4 yrs of 20ppg+ Per 36) and Iguodola,Parsons numbers are just as good if not better than all of them.(The player his numbers resemble the most is Iguodola.) OTOH,Shane Battier outscored all of them as a rookie,so there's that.(On a per game basis,as he played a ton of minutes as a rookie. Per 36 it was Gay 14.5,Battier 13.1,Parsons and Granger at 12.0 and Iggy at 9.9.)

#13 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 549 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

I agree with Stephen, Parsons shows all the promise of being the player Gay is (not exactly a high ceiling), and not only that it's not a stretch to believe that a player with equal potential is available somehow in the draft. It's also not a stretch to believe that there are 2nd option players like Gay out there with actual 2nd option salaries available for trade.

#14 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Give me Parsons any day over Gay.

#15 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 161 posts
                        • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

I thought i was the only one ! Stephen is 100% correct , Parsons potential is so high . In 2 or 3 years Parsons could be 5 times a better player than Gay will be . Rudy Gay has nearly hit his ceiling already and we all know what he brings to the table . Chandler Parsons can already play better defense and grab more rebounds than him , plus chandler parsons can stay healthy . Parsons ceiling and potential is so high , nobody knows how good this kid can be . Even Kobe said Parsons will have an amazing future in this league so i hope we keep him because im honestly not too confident in Rudy Gay to be "the guy" for us .

#16 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                        • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Parson's potential????
                        Can Parsons create for himself? Lets say you run an isolation play for Parson, can he dribble past his man and score?- NO

Don't get carried away, there is a reason Parsons fell to the 2nd round, and he isn't the second coming of Ginobili either.
                        Parsons is getting a lot of burn cos he is on the Rockets squad, and after injuries and terrible management, he was getting enough minutes to put up good numbers, but still not great numbers.

Rudy has all star qualities, Parsons lacks it.
                        Plus, all these minutes Parsons is getting as a starter is diminishing the potential of a player with star quality on our roster (Morris)

10 times out of 10- Rudy is the better player and if you believe otherwise, Hahahaha- you just might be crazier than me or just a blind homer

#17 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                        • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Rudy Gay is by no means the answer to our problems
                        I am not a supporter of Morey attempting to trade for in get into trade talks for Rudy Gay.

However hearing people claim Parsons is as good as Rudy, which is what Im inferring from the above posts and stats posted is just preposterous

#18 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 549 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Rudy Gay is by no means the answer to our problems
                          I am not a supporter of Morey attempting to trade for in get into trade talks for Rudy Gay.

However hearing people claim Parsons is as good as Rudy, which is what Im inferring from the above posts and stats posted is just preposterous

Nobody's claiming he's as good as Gay now, they're comparing rookie seasons and are inferring as to Parson's potential versus Gay's apex, which, unless somebody has a time machine, will be only arguable and unable to be proved at this time as being preposterous. Bottom line is Parsons is pretty good now and will improve, Gay is moderately better than Parson's now, but you won't see much improvement in him.

Speaking of preposterous: 'Plus, all these minutes Parsons is getting as a starter is diminishing the potential of a player with star quality on our roster (Morris)".

Apparently if you have the ability to take your man off the dribble and get your shot, just that ability alone gives you "star quality". Forget about your inability to adequately cover your own opponent on D or help at all when needed, pass the ball to an open guy, or beat your opponent out for rebounds more often than not.

#19 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 375 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

You could probably put Parsons on the table and wait a while for Memphis to accept the trade. Two points:

If they did accept the trade who would be our elite wing defender? These days every serious NBA team has to have one. The luxury of having a defender who can 1v1 LBJ, KD, Kobe for most of the shot clock cannot be overstated.

Why would we help Memphis out of the salary cap purgatory they now find themselves in. The cannot get better without slipping into luxury tax hell.

I am also not convinced that Gay is going to be better than Parsons on the offensive side of the ball in a couple of years. And there is that small difference of 8 figures in their contracts for next year.

I have been reading red94 posts for years and I have never seen a worse trade proposal.

#20 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 375 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Another point: Gay last season had a PER of 17.23. Puts him at about above average for an NBA SF. He is not an all star candidate. Don't propose trades for him and put his value at the all star level.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users