Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (23 September 2016 - 03:02 PM) @Slick Shoes - I don't think so....I may have had him bundled in a trade scenario or two back when Phoenix had ALL the PG's.
@  slick shoes : (22 September 2016 - 08:53 PM) I'm liking the trade with Beasley for Tyler Ennis. JG, weren't you advocating drafting him a year or two ago?
@  thejohnnygold : (17 September 2016 - 03:38 PM) I think they will eventually settle on a good deal, but it will likely have early team options to protect against his chronic injury problems.
@  slick shoes : (16 September 2016 - 02:47 PM) If no one else is making any offers, why would we exceed the minimum? Is it that he/his agent think his value is higher than the market dictates?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 September 2016 - 01:08 PM) Yup. The last sentence of that article says it all. "All deals get done in the 11th hour".
@  DenverRocket : (15 September 2016 - 06:16 PM) The latest on D-Mo http://www.espn.com/...rockets-lagging
@  slick shoes : (29 August 2016 - 11:42 AM) At some point they've got to start trading SOME of these picks for veteran players...
@  thejohnnygold : (26 August 2016 - 10:03 PM) Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Kendall Marshall than 2 2nd rounders.
@  slick shoes : (26 August 2016 - 08:30 PM) the 76's trade for another center? im assuming they were really after the two 2nd rounders...
@  thejohnnygold : (07 August 2016 - 07:16 PM) Nope, but there is some raw talent to work with there. He is years away...
@  majik19 : (06 August 2016 - 11:53 PM) well it doesn't look like Zhou Qi is NBA-ready
@  thejohnnygold : (25 July 2016 - 04:26 PM) I think I am going to like Bobby Brown...that is within the confines of our current strategy which is score, score, SCORE!
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2016 - 08:02 PM) The "super team" Knicks? lol
@  thejohnnygold : (22 July 2016 - 06:05 PM) On Josh Smith...my guess is the Knicks eventually sign him.
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 04:29 PM) The Jet has been released. Josh Smith will likely play for another team next season. Maybe he teams up with Dwight in ATL?
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 12:17 PM) Harden is now sending hitmen after Rockets legends' sons for badmouthing him on social media *facepalm*
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2016 - 02:22 PM) If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 "The Guru of Go", I recommend it before the upcoming season.
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 07:20 PM) Yea I know, but there were reports both sides were willing to have a reunion before Chicago signed him. So at the time, Canaan was an option, and a better one than Pablo at that. We should've capitalized on that one, especially with how well he fits the system for obvious reasons + age on his side.
@  thejohnnygold : (14 July 2016 - 03:43 PM) Canaan signed with Chicago already
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 03:24 PM) Don't love the Prigioni move. Thought for sure we had better options like bringing Canaan back or getting someone like Shane Larkin

Photo

James at the point

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,562 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

I think adding Gordon is a bad move. Similar to the Lawson trade, we would likely alter our offense to carve out a few possessions for Gordon. Then, when he goes down in Eric Gordon fashion, we are left with a black hole of offense and on/off the ball play that never manifested. 

While I agree that injury is likely, I disagree about having to change the offense.  He plays very similar to Harden (except for the 10 fta's/game).  It would be like having Harden and Harden-Lite on the floor together...which after typing that sentence sounds awful to me, but maybe Morey likes it?

#22 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

While I agree that injury is likely, I disagree about having to change the offense.  He plays very similar to Harden (except for the 10 fta's/game).  It would be like having Harden and Harden-Lite on the floor together...which after typing that sentence sounds awful to me, but maybe Morey likes it?

He is mostly a jump shooter from what I recall? (I had him on my fantasy team last season so I have a little bit of a feel for his contributions) Maybe EG assumes the outside shooting role and leaves the paint to Harden?

EDIT: Gordon is an above average three point shooter so that is a plus. 

Edited by slick shoes, 31 May 2016 - 05:27 PM.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,562 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

He is mostly a jump shooter from what I recall? (I had him on my fantasy team last season so I have a little bit of a feel for his contributions) Maybe EG assumes the outside shooting role and leaves the paint to Harden?

EDIT: Gordon is an above average three point shooter so that is a plus. 

He can still bull his way to the basket.  He doesn't do it as much as he used to...picks his spots.

I think he is getting healthier.  It's not a great way to judge it, but in 45 games this year he had 10 dunks.  By comparison, he had 11 dunks in 167 games over the previous 3 seasons.  You can see a similar trend in Shaun Livingston's career (first example that came to mind).

The idea would be Gordon being able to attack the defense after it has been scrambled a bit by Harden or launching threes after Harden collapses the defense (he shot 6.5 3's/game last season.  85% of those were assisted).

It's not my #1 choice at all, but I can see Morey swooping in and offering him a chance to rehab his image without vying for touches in New Orleans with Davis, Evans, Hoilday, Anderson, etc. all taking lots of shots.  At the right price, it's a great gamble.  (I'm assuming we can get him for roughly $6-$9M)

Further, looking at Gordon's 2-man line-up stats you can see his best pairing was none other than Tyreke Evans (who plays a lot like Mr. Harden does).  After that, it was Ish Smith (who I'd like to see back in Houston) once again signaling him playing off the ball more.

Expanding that a bit, his best 4-man groupings all came with Smith/Holiday dominating the ball.  I think it would be a savvy move and, with a little luck, could be a difference maker come playoff time (assuming he's healthy) once defenses really crack down on Harden.

#24 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

He can still bull his way to the basket.  He doesn't do it as much as he used to...picks his spots.

I think he is getting healthier.  It's not a great way to judge it, but in 45 games this year he had 10 dunks.  By comparison, he had 11 dunks in 167 games over the previous 3 seasons.  You can see a similar trend in Shaun Livingston's career (first example that came to mind).

The idea would be Gordon being able to attack the defense after it has been scrambled a bit by Harden or launching threes after Harden collapses the defense (he shot 6.5 3's/game last season.  85% of those were assisted).

It's not my #1 choice at all, but I can see Morey swooping in and offering him a chance to rehab his image without vying for touches in New Orleans with Davis, Evans, Hoilday, Anderson, etc. all taking lots of shots.  At the right price, it's a great gamble.  (I'm assuming we can get him for roughly $6-$9M)

Further, looking at Gordon's 2-man line-up stats you can see his best pairing was none other than Tyreke Evans (who plays a lot like Mr. Harden does).  After that, it was Ish Smith (who I'd like to see back in Houston) once again signaling him playing off the ball more.

Expanding that a bit, his best 4-man groupings all came with Smith/Holiday dominating the ball.  I think it would be a savvy move and, with a little luck, could be a difference maker come playoff time (assuming he's healthy) once defenses really crack down on Harden.

I am definitely intrigued, but statements like these make me hesitant:

"Eric Gordon never played more than 64 games in each of his five seasons in New Orleans."

He's a gamble and that's what free agency is all about but I would like some sort of injury clause worked into his contract or a performance bonus of some kind. "Play 70 games and you get _________ ."

#25 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:12 AM

I am definitely intrigued, but statements like these make me hesitant:

"Eric Gordon never played more than 64 games in each of his five seasons in New Orleans."

He's a gamble and that's what free agency is all about but I would like some sort of injury clause worked into his contract or a performance bonus of some kind. "Play 70 games and you get _________ ."

Eric Gordon is an injury looking for a place to happen. I don't care how good you are you can't score from the trainer's table. I wouldn't have him based on that alone. his shot is decent but his mobility has been reduced greatly by his injuries. considering the money he probably is seeking ......... NO THANKS.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#26 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,562 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

Eric Gordon is an injury looking for a place to happen. I don't care how good you are you can't score from the trainer's table. I wouldn't have him based on that alone. his shot is decent but his mobility has been reduced greatly by his injuries. considering the money he probably is seeking ......... NO THANKS.

Like I said, this whole thing is contingent on him taking a discount to prove he can play an entire season.  Would you sign Gordon for $6M?  I would.  I think he's got a good season coming.

#27 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:40 PM

Like I said, this whole thing is contingent on him taking a discount to prove he can play an entire season. Would you sign Gordon for $6M? I would. I think he's got a good season coming.

Yep i would too but for 6mill if I was Gordon I would go to the Thunder. Massive upgrade from Waiters.

#28 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 596 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

Yep i would too but for 6mill if I was Gordon I would go to the Thunder. Massive upgrade from Waiters.

This would make them scary good when Gordon is healthy. 

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,562 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

Off topic a bit...JVG has a nice interview (video only) over at ESPN (which makes linking directly to it impossible unless you use facebook/twitter).

Still, it is worth a quick listen.  In short, he says GS runs the offense Houston wishes it could (total chaos), but only gets away with it because of the players they have.  He goes on to say teams that try and emulate them will just look bad doing it (Houston!).

However, he also says that the motion they run is crucial to their success and with so many teams switching on defense it is important for any team to have players in motion.  He says far too often it's 3-4 guys just standing around which allows the entire defense to ball-watch and know what to do.

I've been hammering this point and didn't want to pass up the opportunity to have JVG support my stance.   B)

It's fairly simple, really.  For years, the goal for offenses was to get one step (one pass) ahead of the defense and get an open look.  Well, defenses got too fast, too long, and too smart.  Someone at GS figured out that there is a new "gap" in the defense directly behind the pursuit and have trained their team to find it.

This is why you will see them reverse the ball, back cut you to death, and make NBA level players look silly over and over again.  Teams have sold out and are over-playing the pursuit so hard it has created another hole in the defense--a blind spot, if you will.  Now, some teams are trying to counter that with switching everything, but without great communication and practice that just leads to horrible lapses and mismatches that often make things worse.  Would you not be better off playing a zone and trying to limit passing lanes and force lots of mid-range jumpers?

In my opinion this is the future of NBA defense (despite everyone telling me the zone can't work in the NBA).  Discipline versus pursuit.  Sure, you might get beat a few extra possessions each game; however, if done well, you should also foul less and negatively impact opp. fg%.

When an offense is designed to manipulate defenses in order to gain an opening/advantage then the best defense is to not allow yourself to be manipulated.  Ideally, this will bog down the opposing offense and what you'll see is the other team's star(s) jacking up lots of bad shots and creating worse shots for their teammates.  (you can watch film of Houston '15-'16 to see this in action).

Maybe "zone" is the wrong word, but it is the best fit for what I'm picturing.  I think it's fine.

I can't wait to see what Antoni cooks up for us.  We can't continue to force James into this very situation where the defense knows exactly what is coming.  If James is going to continue to be our main creator then he needs some help--both in coaching and in talent. 

#30 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,280 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:26 PM

Off topic a bit...JVG has a nice interview (video only) over at ESPN (which makes linking directly to it impossible unless you use facebook/twitter).

Still, it is worth a quick listen.  In short, he says GS runs the offense Houston wishes it could (total chaos), but only gets away with it because of the players they have.  He goes on to say teams that try and emulate them will just look bad doing it (Houston!).

However, he also says that the motion they run is crucial to their success and with so many teams switching on defense it is important for any team to have players in motion.  He says far too often it's 3-4 guys just standing around which allows the entire defense to ball-watch and know what to do.

I've been hammering this point and didn't want to pass up the opportunity to have JVG support my stance.   B)

It's fairly simple, really.  For years, the goal for offenses was to get one step (one pass) ahead of the defense and get an open look.  Well, defenses got too fast, too long, and too smart.  Someone at GS figured out that there is a new "gap" in the defense directly behind the pursuit and have trained their team to find it.

This is why you will see them reverse the ball, back cut you to death, and make NBA level players look silly over and over again.  Teams have sold out and are over-playing the pursuit so hard it has created another hole in the defense--a blind spot, if you will.  Now, some teams are trying to counter that with switching everything, but without great communication and practice that just leads to horrible lapses and mismatches that often make things worse.  Would you not be better off playing a zone and trying to limit passing lanes and force lots of mid-range jumpers?

In my opinion this is the future of NBA defense (despite everyone telling me the zone can't work in the NBA).  Discipline versus pursuit.  Sure, you might get beat a few extra possessions each game; however, if done well, you should also foul less and negatively impact opp. fg%.

When an offense is designed to manipulate defenses in order to gain an opening/advantage then the best defense is to not allow yourself to be manipulated.  Ideally, this will bog down the opposing offense and what you'll see is the other team's star(s) jacking up lots of bad shots and creating worse shots for their teammates.  (you can watch film of Houston '15-'16 to see this in action).

Maybe "zone" is the wrong word, but it is the best fit for what I'm picturing.  I think it's fine.

I can't wait to see what Antoni cooks up for us.  We can't continue to force James into this very situation where the defense knows exactly what is coming.  If James is going to continue to be our main creator then he needs some help--both in coaching and in talent. 

totally agree. I also believe JVG's statement on GSW.  this is why I have been so critical of Houston's vision. they act like the GSW's way is the only way to get the job done and nothing could be further from the truth. I have little faith help for Harden will come from coaching so lets hope for the talent upgrade in a major way.

on the E. Gordon issue................NO I would not sign him for 6 mil per. his defense is questionable on his best days and outside of a decent shot he really bring very little else to the table. IMO better bargains will be available than the corpse of what use to be a decent player. we need to bring in some shooters no doubts ( since we are dead set on chucking 3's) but if we continue to treat defense like the ugly step sister our efforts to improve this team will be futile.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#31 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 76 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

Great discussion as usual. Regarding Eric Gordon, I don't want him as well. Too much injury concerns and his defense is subpar at best.

#32 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 184 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:59 AM

Great discussion as usual. Regarding Eric Gordon, I don't want him as well. Too much injury concerns and his defense is subpar at best.

I am definitely not all in on the idea. There are some terrible red flags but I guess the real question though is what would improve the team for cheap. 6 mill is real cheap next year. Who is to say he takes that deal? What would be the alternatives at that price?

#33 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,562 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

I am definitely not all in on the idea. There are some terrible red flags but I guess the real question though is what would improve the team for cheap. 6 mill is real cheap next year. Who is to say he takes that deal? What would be the alternatives at that price?

As far as free agent SG's go I'd say only Kevin Martin could be had for $6M...and even that's a maybe.  Gordon won't sign a 4-yr. deal...Most likely a 2 year with an option.  Most teams feel the same way you guys do.  No established team has room for him.  No re-building team wants him.  That leaves teams like Houston (grasping at straws).  If we get lucky, it's a home run.  If not, it was a one-year thing.

I can't argue about his defense as I have paid little attention to it, but on offense he is more than a spot up guy and I could see he and James playing great off each other...assuming he's healthy.  It is also likely he assumes the 6th man role and plays somewhat limited minutes.

I will again point at Shaun Livingston.  He was barely hanging on in the league.  Now, he could start for quite a few teams.  Golden State took a chance and struck gold.  This is my line of thinking.  Houston isn't that attractive of a destination right now.  Gordon needs to rehab his image and what better place than alongside Harden on a team with low expectations and high potential.

At other positions...you could get a Dellevadova, Chalmers, Augustin, Galloway type player....nothing too glamorous at PG.

SF...Joe Johnson, Michael Beasley, Gerald Green....(I want to put Jared Dudley on this list, but he is going to get more than $6M)

PF...I don't know....Brandon Bass, David Lee, Scola, Terrence Jones?????

C....Pachulia, Speights, Hibbert, Stoudemire

I'm just speculating, of course, but I don't think there is a greater risk/reward value in free agency for under $6M.  I may be crazy in thinking Gordon will play for that much, but it seems the majority of people wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft. pole so maybe I'm not crazy.

Besides, at $6M we can still go shopping for some of those other guys if anyone thinks they would be better or will help the cause.  Speights might be great in Antoni's offense...maybe Stoudemire will enjoy playing for him again...who knows....

Augustin could be a steal too if Harden will let him have the ball.

The question we must ask ourselves is what free agents actually want to come here?  Where are we as a team?  Ring chasers are going elsewhere.  Guys who want "their own team" are going elsewhere.  PG's who want to play their position correctly are going elsewhere.  Guys who want to do more than stand in the corner and jack 3's are going elsewhere.

(side note) I think that is one of the most attractive things about GS (for players).  Kerr seems to encourage them to do what they do best within the confines of team play.  Oh, you want to shoot 40 ft. 3's every game?  OK.  Livingston, you wanna shoot 12 footers all game long?  OK.  Speights wants to play in the high post?  OK.  Barbosa snakes around in the lane?  OK.  Barnes....what is it you do again?   :lol:

(double side note...Barnes has possibly lost himself quite a bit of money in these playoffs.  Granted, Harden didn't do himself any favors in the Finals the year before we got him, but this is on another level.  I'm officially out of the Harrison Barnes camp....well, I still have a toe in the water, but it's getting pretty icy over here.)

Back to Houston--we are on an image rehab mission this season as much as anyone.  I think Gordon is a decent bet, but I understand why anyone would shy away from him.

#34 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,280 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:48 PM

@JG

compelling stance..........you make some good points. there isn't much out there for a team with image problems, however I take Gerald Green over him in a heartbeat. plus we already got Beasley under contract as our image rehabbing recipient for this year :lol:. Gordon had this past season to attempt to rehab his image in N.O. and failed to prove himself of any real value to a team who for part of the season actually had playoff aspirations. I know 6 mil won't be much considering the wheel barrels of cash that will be flowing, but I wouldn't pay 6 dollars for Gordon :lol: besides it's going to take a much larger talent infusion than that to right this ship considering we just bought a used broken retread rutter in coach Pringles. notice I used a little c for coach when speaking of him............that's because he knows little about the subject :lol:

#35 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,562 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

@JG

compelling stance..........you make some good points. there isn't much out there for a team with image problems, however I take Gerald Green over him in a heartbeat. plus we already got Beasley under contract as our image rehabbing recipient for this year :lol:. Gordon had this past season to attempt to rehab his image in N.O. and failed to prove himself of any real value to a team who for part of the season actually had playoff aspirations. I know 6 mil won't be much considering the wheel barrels of cash that will be flowing, but I wouldn't pay 6 dollars for Gordon :lol: besides it's going to take a much larger talent infusion than that to right this ship considering we just bought a used broken retread rutter in coach Pringles. notice I used a little c for coach when speaking of him............that's because he knows little about the subject 

Pretty sure I've said it before, but I think one of our main problems is we are handcuffed by Harden.  He is in his prime and management doesn't want to squander that time developing youth.  Given the number of young guys already on the roster, we don't have much room to snag an up-and-comer and let him develop over the next couple years.  We have to use those roster spots on established guys.

That leaves us in a pickle.

Watching the Finals and Conference Finals I am in awe at the talent level of the teams we are chasing.  Game 5 on Monday was an awesome display from Cleveland.  LeBron reminded everyone who the best player in the NBA is.  I forgot that Irving just turned 24 in March--I think he is going to be a monster next year and for years to come.

On the flip side, every single game I watch Kevin Love play makes me feel better and better about him not coming here.  I was pretty sure he was over-rated before he left Minny and now I'm 100% sure.  Can you imagine trading 2 #1 picks for a stud power forward and then having Richard Jefferson completely outplay him in the Finals.  Aside from game 1, he has been a non-factor and I would not be surprised to see him shipped out this Summer.  (I bet Danny Ainge is eyeballing that trade plus signing Whiteside this Summer.  I think Stevens could get the best out of Love)

I just don't see us attracting a FA this Summer that propels us to that next level.  Maybe I'm just grumpy about this past season, but it has left a horrible taste in my mouth and if I were an NBA player I would be looking at just about any other options first.  That's why I'm pondering options like Gordon.  If we want to get anything good this Summer we're going to have to do some dumpster-diving  :lol:

My biggest fear is that Morey will mortgage our future in trades for guys that are supposed to get us over the hump, but won't (Derrick Rose).  That and Dwight opting in for the last year of his contract.  :o

#36 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 596 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

I just want the team to acknowledge that we ARE in rebuild mode, or should be anyway. There isn't a single trade out there that would make us true contenders. We need to be looking towards the team 2-4 years from now instead of doing this "win now" business that has gotten us to this point. We have a star, but that is only a starting point. Who is to say that he will resign with Houston once his deal is up? If I'm him and my contract is up and the best player I have next to me is Trevor Ariza, I might start to look to other clubs. 

#37 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,562 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

I just want the team to acknowledge that we ARE in rebuild mode, or should be anyway. There isn't a single trade out there that would make us true contenders. We need to be looking towards the team 2-4 years from now instead of doing this "win now" business that has gotten us to this point. We have a star, but that is only a starting point. Who is to say that he will resign with Houston once his deal is up? If I'm him and my contract is up and the best player I have next to me is Trevor Ariza, I might start to look to other clubs. 

Per Sirius XMRadio NBA Radio: "We're ready made to add another star level player" --Daryl Morey

Well, thanks for that tidbit, Daryl.  Given the new cap space, so is just about every single team in the league.

Daryl has always acted in the best long term interest of the team--until recently.  Trading James Harden while his value is high would be the best move.  Everyone says, "you can't get fair value for a star".  Which I agree with when the star is an actual star and not an NBA celebrity--there is a difference.

Would you rather be the Knicks, be saddled with Carmelo, and know that you will have to endure the rest of his career before having another shot at being relevant?  On the flipside, Denver is on the cusp of being quite good.  Gallo, Barton, Harris, a trio of centers, Mudiay, and Jakarr Sampson give them a nice, young core plus Faried and Chandler are nice players.  Add to that the #6, #14, and #18 picks in this draft and I would say their future is much brighter than NY's.  Yet, all anyone will say is, "you can't get equal value for a star".  

Would you rather be the Lakers or Orlando?  Orlando has a great core of young talent: Oladipo, Peyton, Gordon, Hezonja, and Dedmon plus some other guys that may break out.  If they let that group develop I think it's going to be really, really good.  Oh, and they have the #10 pick in the upcoming draft which gives them a chance to draft a center to develop.  Once they move Hezonja to SF and get a better defensive center I think they will be running all over the league.

On the other hand, you've got LA.  Yes, Kobe had them handcuffed, but they are nowhere close to being anything good.  They will remain lottery bound for the foreseeable future.  Eventually, they will get desperate and sign a sub-star to a max deal and we in Houston can all sit back and enjoy their misery.

How about Cleveland?  Does anyone think they aren't trading Kevin Love this Summer?  The only good thing about the trade that brought him in was they got to get rid of the embarrassment that was the Anthony Bennett draft pick.

Meanwhile, Minny has Wiggins, LaVine, Dieng, Towns, Tyus Jones, Muhammed, and Payne to build on.  It's tough to compare with Cleveland since they have LBJ/Irving and are about to be in game 7 of the Finals.  Still....Kevin Love...the invisible man.  Imagine if they had just kept Wiggins (who is set to break out next year) and could roll over the East with Irving/Wiggins doing most of the work and LBJ backing them up for years to come.

Heck, I think the reason people say you can't get good value for stars has more to do with bad GM's than anything else.  Golden State has lead that charge (until recently)...they traded Chris Webber for 3 1st rounders.  They drafted Todd Fuller, Vince Carter, and Chris Mihm (technically, he was traded pre-draft for Larry Hughes...this one is sort of weird and I might be mis-reading it...either way, they blew it).  Whoops.

When they drafted Fuller, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, and Jermaine O'Neal were still on the board.  Obviously, they traded Carter (for Antawn Jamison).  Whoops... (It was Anfernee Hardaway they traded to get the Webber pick in the first place...just sayin').  Basically, they turned Anfernee Hardaway into 2 bad years of Todd Fuller While whiffing on Hardaway himself, Webber, Carter, Bryant, and Nash. 

My point, which I feel I have hammered home pretty hard here, is the end-all statement that you don't get fair value in trade for a star is only true when you are talking about an actual star or have an idiot for a GM.  We all know I don't believe Harden will reach that level--which means I believe we will win the trade and have a better future without him than with him.

Morey will never make that trade because he knows he would lose his job.  The PR backlash from fans would force Les to fire him--despite it being the right move.  I also agree with Slick Shoes that once his contract is up there is a very good chance he walks leaving us with nothing but the thought of what could have been.

#38 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 596 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

Daryl has always acted in the best long term interest of the team--until recently.  

I believe you can thank Mr. Alexander for that.

Would you rather be the Lakers or Orlando?  Orlando has a great core of young talent: Oladipo, Peyton, Gordon, Hezonja, and Dedmon plus some other guys that may break out.  If they let that group develop I think it's going to be really, really good.  Oh, and they have the #10 pick in the upcoming draft which gives them a chance to draft a center to develop.  Once they move Hezonja to SF and get a better defensive center I think they will be running all over the league.

Orlando has that great young core but their best move as of late was signing Vogel to develop and utilize that young core. I believe Houston fumbled that opportunity to completely change the culture here and move forward towards real relevance. We will suffer for 2.3 seasons under Pringles at which point Les will decide yet again that hes ready to win now and that a change needed to be made severing what semblance of cohesiveness remains with the team. I would assume that James would have had his fill on this small town and move on to his hometown Lakers who are DESPERATE for a star/NBA celebrity leaving us starless and coachless only 4 seasons removed from a Western Conference finals. What a shame.

#39 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,280 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

@slick shoes/JG

I agree with both you guys. Harden appears to be more celebrity than actual warrior and we will probably get left holding garbage when he leaves town. I too have become disillusioned with his circus act. I agree JG he will never reach his potential and it won't be from lack of natural ability, it will be from attitude and lack of real commitment. I also agree that real value can be obtained from trading stars if you have a good GM. I believe you drove the point home pretty well. I also agree trading Harden while his value is high is the right thing to do at this point. the way he plays is not cohesive with team building unless you have a strong fundamentally sound coach pulling on the reins which we do not.  

#40 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 76 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

Owners interfering with other people's jobs in sports. Has a great track record right? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users