Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (21 June 2017 - 04:28 PM) Morey is locked in for four more years. Glad to have some stability at the helm after everything we've seen the last couple of weeks.
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 04:31 PM) It's a shame we don't have a first rounder this year. I did notice that the W's and the Cavs have 0 picks this year (not that they need them).
@  thejohnnygold : (16 June 2017 - 03:57 PM) Whoever picks him is going to be a happy camper
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 02:00 PM) De'Aaron Fox giving Bev a shout at the end of this piece
http://www.espn.com/...var-ball-chorus
@  slick shoes : (22 May 2017 - 05:25 PM) I can't decide if I want them to draft Ball or not.
@  thejohnnygold : (21 May 2017 - 02:50 PM) Don't worry...they'll find a way to screw it up.
@  slick shoes : (17 May 2017 - 03:52 PM) Is anyone else annoyed that the league reached out and helped the Lakers secure a top 3 pick to keep them from long term ruin?
@  Mario Peña : (13 May 2017 - 11:56 AM) It would appear James will take games off next year which is probably a good thing. Perhaps we will see some evolution from emphasis on regular season to being playoff ready both from a physical as well as a strategy standpoint.
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) I personally will be rooting for the Spurs in their next matchup with Golden State in the Western Conference Finals
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) Congratulations to the Spurs and Coach Pop. They completely destroyed the Rockets last night (understatement of the year)
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 02:55 AM) Very disappointing end to an otherwise great season.
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 01:10 AM) Stunningly bad. Out played, out coached and no one is stepping up :-(
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 01:07 AM) Well, it can't get any worse right?
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 12:35 AM) It's like Dekker has been waiting to play or something.
@  08huangj : (11 May 2017 - 12:08 PM) It is utterly baffling to me why MDA is not utilizing Dekker and Harrell. These two were integral to our dominant regular season bench!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:18 AM) Everything the TNT analysts said, I was screaming during OT. MDA blamed it on fatigue - no kidding sherlock, when you only use a 7 player rotation!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:17 AM) Sorely disappointed with that. Huge missed opportunity. I thought McHale was coaching again in overtime!
@  slick shoes : (10 May 2017 - 03:02 AM) No offensive scheme in overtime. No Parker, and no Leonard through all of overtime and you STILL can't close it out?!
@  thejohnnygold : (10 May 2017 - 02:57 AM) So much profanity in my home tonight...
@  Mario Peña : (08 May 2017 - 06:57 PM) Right Johnnygold! That was a good game!

Photo

Farewell, D-Mo. Welcome, draft pick. On the Houston Rockets' trade of Donatas Motiejunas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:16 AM

New post: Farewell, D-Mo. Welcome, draft pick. On the Houston Rockets' trade of Donatas Motiejunas
    By: Rahat Huq

If you didn't read my reactions today on Twitter, then why aren't you following me?  Universally, the sentiment from other parts is that the Rockets made out like bandits today, or, at the very least, did very handsomely in securing a possible late lottery pick in exchange for a free-agent-to-be with back concerns.  But if you're not a fan of this team, it might be hard to understand the disappointment I and many others are feeling at this moment.

It's not that we don't recognize that a top-8 protected pick from a fringe playoff team isn't supreme value for a possible rental.  We do.  And it's not even that we overrate Motiejunas, as I have seen being charged, and as is usually charged upon fan negativity following the trade of a popular player.  No one here has any misconceptions about what D-Mo is or who he can become.  And most everyone recognizes that the logic behind this deal was sound, and that the Rockets may possibly know more about the severity of D-Mo's injury than is publicly available.  We're just simply...disappointed.  It doesn't always have to be rational.

After the magic of last season, I personally thought we finally had a core built to last, and more specifically, that Motiejunas could be penciled in as the starting four for the next whatever years.  I thought we were finally done with the draft picks and the cap space and the "value".  But here we are again.  The pick we got back was great "value".  Well, great.  We've had value for years.  I thought we finally had a team.

We'll see what Donatas Motiejunas goes on to become.  A hard working, defensively sound stretch 4 7-footer, with some of the best post moves in the league.  If he's healthy, he won't have anything less than a fine career.  But that story has yet to be written.  For now, he's just another player the Rockets developed who has now gone off to sea.  They'll draft someone else this summer and shuffle the cards yet again.

#2 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 466 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:04 AM

Yes, I felt like it was a given D-Mo was going to be a part of the Rockets future for years to come. The guy could play the 4 and 5 positions well enough (pre-back surgery). Wish him well. Saw a quote from Morey this evening saying, now the Rockets are in position to acquire two max contracts this offseason. First two that came to mind are LeBron and Durant...subtract Howard ($23.3 mil) and Lawson ($13.2 mil) and TJ's qualifying offer ($3.5 mil) and wrap Brewer's ($7+ mil) around a first round pick, like we did with Lin, and trade Brew this summer. The Rockets will have about $60.3 million if the salary cap goes to $93 million. Cleveland's salary projection for (start of 16/17) will be roughly $104
      million. They have some bad contracts on the Cavs team. LeBron may want to parachute out with his player option.
      A guy can dream anyway. I'm not happy one bit about D-Mo being traded.

I cling to that hope that LeBron and Durant will try to join forces with Harden and kick the Warriors...

Edited by Jatman20, 19 February 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#3 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 745 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:03 AM

Wouldn't it be easier for Harden and Durant joined LeBron in the East where he naps his way to the playoffs every year?

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,858 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Wouldn't it be easier for Harden and Durant joined LeBron in the East where he naps his way to the playoffs every year?

You're not wrong, but Morey is not letting go of Harden.  On the other side, LeBron left Miami (a pretty good situation) to go back to Cleveland and alleviate the guilt he feels for leaving them.  I seriously doubt he is going to leave them twice and if he did I seriously doubt it would be to come to Houston.  Sorry, feel free to dream everyone  :)

Rahat, I think you sum up nearly every Rockets fan's feelings pretty well here:

" I thought we were finally done with the draft picks and the cap space and the "value".  But here we are again.  The pick we got back was great "value".  Well, great.  We've had value for years.  I thought we finally had a team."

I think we were all willing to go through the process.  All in all, it was fun to watch our team evolve.  Now, we're left with more questions than answers.

#5 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 466 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

It is a pipe dream. The thing that may force a change is if the Warriors run thru everyone and win the championship this year. The Cavs will be at about $95 million devoted to 7 guys next season, $104 if Mo Williams and J. R. Smith opt-in to their player options. Many players don't want to go to Cleveland. Melo "could have" joined LeBron this year and waive his no trade clause; but I'm sure wifey didn't want that.

Capela/LeBron/Durant/Harden/Llull.....Bev/Ariza//Harrell/Dekker--FA center (?Pachulia) power forward (???) Trade Brewer/KJ/1st rounder x Korver in summer. Llull reworked his deal this past summer, which reduced his NBA buy-out. That and the Cap increase makes it the right time. Minutes before the deadline Morey offered Beverley to the Knicks. Reports say the Knicks declined. I'm good with Llull, I see him as a younger better Prigioni.

This team would beat the Warriors by sweep (4-0) or by gentleman's sweep (4-1). It's all about beating the Warriors. Go strong or go home.
        Or maybe it's better to just think of a slow rebuild?

Edited by Jatman20, 20 February 2016 - 01:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users