Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (07 July 2017 - 06:57 PM) We've got some cuts to make today before all of these "trade-able contracts" become guaranteed.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 July 2017 - 05:41 PM) Well, this is just glorious. It's a look at the Eastern Conference vs. the Western Conference :)
@  08huangj : (01 July 2017 - 03:56 AM) YEA! We resigned Nene for less than 4 million a year.
@  DenverRocket : (01 July 2017 - 03:44 AM) Wow, the West is getting crazy good. PG13 to OKC now!
@  slick shoes : (29 June 2017 - 07:55 PM) We just gained another trade piece from Dallas.
@  thejohnnygold : (28 June 2017 - 10:52 PM) Yup. Better not get attached to anyone not named Harden...
@  rocketrick : (28 June 2017 - 09:16 PM) Summer League will be more important than ever for the Rockets now that they have to replace like half their roster!
@  rocketrick : (28 June 2017 - 04:23 PM) Let's Welcome Chris Paul to H-town!!
@  slick shoes : (21 June 2017 - 04:28 PM) Morey is locked in for four more years. Glad to have some stability at the helm after everything we've seen the last couple of weeks.
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 04:31 PM) It's a shame we don't have a first rounder this year. I did notice that the W's and the Cavs have 0 picks this year (not that they need them).
@  thejohnnygold : (16 June 2017 - 03:57 PM) Whoever picks him is going to be a happy camper
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 02:00 PM) De'Aaron Fox giving Bev a shout at the end of this piece
http://www.espn.com/...var-ball-chorus
@  slick shoes : (22 May 2017 - 05:25 PM) I can't decide if I want them to draft Ball or not.
@  thejohnnygold : (21 May 2017 - 02:50 PM) Don't worry...they'll find a way to screw it up.
@  slick shoes : (17 May 2017 - 03:52 PM) Is anyone else annoyed that the league reached out and helped the Lakers secure a top 3 pick to keep them from long term ruin?
@  Mario Peña : (13 May 2017 - 11:56 AM) It would appear James will take games off next year which is probably a good thing. Perhaps we will see some evolution from emphasis on regular season to being playoff ready both from a physical as well as a strategy standpoint.
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) I personally will be rooting for the Spurs in their next matchup with Golden State in the Western Conference Finals
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) Congratulations to the Spurs and Coach Pop. They completely destroyed the Rockets last night (understatement of the year)
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 02:55 AM) Very disappointing end to an otherwise great season.
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 01:10 AM) Stunningly bad. Out played, out coached and no one is stepping up :-(

Photo

DMO trade

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

You're probably right.  At the same time, a pretty smart guy (SVG) decided it was worth a first round pick to gamble on a player of his caliber.  One of SVG/Morey is going to look like a genius--the other will be chided for their poor decision.  As you said, Morey likely has more knowledge than anyone not named D-Mo of his health.  If it was me, I would have gambled the other way--reason #1 I'd probably be a bad GM  :lol:

I don't know.  It's still a bit emotional for me.  He was a favorite of mine (and many other Rox fans).  Players like him don't grow on trees.  I hope Morey made the right call.

I know most of us will be keeping an eye on what happens with him in Detroit.  I'll be rooting for him no matter what...and possibly cursing Morey for years to come.

even if we had kept D-Mo it was no sure thing we would have been able to retain him this summer. I think it has become clear the Rockets are going big game hunting this summer and the last time we did that we lost Parsons.......for nothing. like I said before there will be lots of interest in D-Mo. what's to stop a team from putting an unreasonable offer on the table especially in the salary cap bloated environment of this summer? we could have lost him for nothing by standing pat. the Pistons were set to make a run at him and I'm sure at least a couple of other teams were thinking the same thing. what if he draws a max deal? seems unreasonable, but think Tristan Thompson. is he worth that? this is a business and while I do get attached to players I always try to keep an eye on the business angle of team building. instead of risking a D-Mo nightmare this summer, Morey decided to recoup a 1st round draft pick (possible lottery) and open up a couple of million additional dollars for star chasing by getting rid of D-Mo's cap hold. I say with the uncertainty of D-Mo's health, I understand that decision. whether the future proves that to be a good decision or not in the context it is being presented to the Rockets the bird in the hand is better than the two in the bush.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#42 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

Two days later, I'm still pissed as hell about this.  Console me, guys.  Am I overrating Motiejunas?  I simply cannot understand how you'd trade away a 7 foot 25 year old with three point shooting ability and post moves.  If he turns out to actually be healthy, I'm going to be livid.

#43 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,880 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:32 AM

Two days later, I'm still pissed as hell about this.  Console me, guys.  Am I overrating Motiejunas?  I simply cannot understand how you'd trade away a 7 foot 25 year old with three point shooting ability and post moves.  If he turns out to actually be healthy, I'm going to be livid.

Well, we could become Pistons fans... :ph34r:

#44 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,299 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:57 AM

Well, we could become Pistons fans... :ph34r:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I don't believe you are overrating D-Mo. he is a valuable asset, however do you really feel good about a 25 year old big with bad back trouble? let me throw a couple of possibilities that could have went down this summer

1. D-Mo appears healthy and is able to command top dollar somewhere in the area of 15 mil per. we are willing to pay it but he does like Parsons and refuses to allow us to chase big game first signing his deal with another team before we get our answers from the big fish. we lose him for nothing

2. D-Mo suffers some minor problems with tightness but plays the rest of the season. he enters the off season still asking for the max or close to it. now we must commit a nice chuck of the salary on him with out really having a good feel for his future health. lets say we do that and his back turns out to be our worse fear. then we will be wishing we had used that money more wisely. we keep him but the contract becomes an albatross.

3. D-Mo is unable to stay on the floor this season (don't forget he has tried to come back from this injury already this season) we must then make a decision without having seen anything concrete from him. we lowball him on an offer and some other team ups the price. Morey will likely let him walk and we again get nothing 

4. D-Mo comes back healthy plays the remainder of the season. he commands big money and we give it to him. he plays the next 4 years with no problems related to his back

any one of these 4 ways could have played out, but only one way is beneficial to the Rockets. without the benefit of seeing the future can we really afford to lose him for nothing? even if we wanted to keep him and his salary prevented us from signing a bigger fish Morey will still let him walk. I liked D-Mo too. but is he the answer at the four? YES he had a good year last year but, so did a lot of other players on our team who are playing poorly this year. without the benefit of having all the information Morey has access to I believe the extra muscle and weight D-Mo has been putting on may be aggravating his back, if that be the case it will be an issue the rest of his career. GM's get paid to manage risk. Morey's just doing his job. he's trying to insure the Rockets aren't left holding nothing for the time and energy committed to D-Mo's development

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#45 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 529 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:12 AM

Two days later, I'm still pissed as hell about this. Console me, guys. Am I overrating Motiejunas? I simply cannot understand how you'd trade away a 7 foot 25 year old with three point shooting ability and post moves. If he turns out to actually be healthy, I'm going to be livid.

SVG said DMOs back problems are similar to Redick's. He expects DMO to miss a few games a year due to the injury, but otherwise will be just fine. If it is true, Morey's seat should be getting hot

#46 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 187 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:34 PM

SVG said DMOs back problems are similar to Redick's. He expects DMO to miss a few games a year due to the injury, but otherwise will be just fine. If it is true, Morey's seat should be getting hot

I can't believe this trade. U have been wanting Moreys head all season and i have thought that was a bit harsh. I am all in now. Morey has to go. When I heard this i thought it must be part of a bigger trade. I'm still in shock!

#47 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,299 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

I can't believe this trade. U have been wanting Moreys head all season and i have thought that was a bit harsh. I am all in now. Morey has to go. When I heard this i thought it must be part of a bigger trade. I'm still in shock!

this may still turn out to be part of a bigger move, just not one that will help this season. keep an eye on that draft pick

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,880 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

this may still turn out to be part of a bigger move, just not one that will help this season. keep an eye on that draft pick

I agree.  As much as I dislike this move there is a strong chance D-Mo's back issue is permanent.  Morey has a plan (more like 50 plans) and I think he may be looking at this year's draft.  By missing the playoffs we should be able to keep our 1st rounder that Denver would have gotten.  Instead, Denver gets Portland's second round pick.

That gives us two 1st round picks in the mid-teens for the upcoming draft.  Those, along with a player or two make for a nice trade offer.

If we opt to use them I think there are some solid players available.  Draftexpress has us picking at #13 and #14.  Ivan Rabb (PF UCLA) and Furkan Korkmaz (SG Int'l).  I know nothing about these players.  Personally, I've got my eyes on guys like Denzel Valentine, Caris Lavert, and Gary Payton Jr.

I am surprised they have Valentine going 18th....that seems very low.  Payton Jr. has offensive question marks, but has NBA defensive star written all over him (yes, he is GP's son).  Lavert has questions about his injury-prone feet, but everything else is there.

I think any of those two could be drafted together and allowed to develop together.  Add them to KJ, Harrell, Dekker, and Capela....I like it.

Of course, there is also Zhou Qi, a 7' 2" Chinese center.  He's got a 7' 6" wingspan and can probably touch the rim from his tip-toes.  Not much info. on him, but seems like he's got good athleticism and probably decent skills (based on past Chinese prospects).  Also, Les loves keeping that Chinese connection open.  If Howard walks I think this pick becomes very likely....him, or Domantas Sabonis (Yes, that Sabonis).

I'm getting off topic here.  What's done is done.  Now it's time to see what Morey does to make us not hate him (as much).  Those draft picks plus cap room for 2 large contracts gives us lots of potential.  Potential.

(I can't help myself.  If LA gets the 1st or 2nd pick, I'd trade Harden for Simmons/Ingram plus maybe Tarick Black.  We'd be young across the board, but holy cow we'd be talented.  Let them play for a couple years and see what shakes out.  Lavert, Valentine, Simmons, Harrell, Capela, Dekker, McDaniels.  From that group, I think Valentine ends up being the star.  Our biggest concern would be what to do with all that cap space :) )

#49 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 433 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

BRING BACK DMO!!!!  I hope his back is as bad as they say it is.  I want DMO.  Irrational?  VOID VOID VOID VOID

#50 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,299 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:44 AM

BRING BACK DMO!!!!  I hope his back is as bad as they say it is.  I want DMO.  Irrational?  VOID VOID VOID VOID

the fact that Detroit has attempted to stall the trade to have longer to study D-Mo's back  says something within itself about his condition

#51 Davealicious

Davealicious

• Members
          • Pip
          • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

So it looks like this thing gets voided.  Welp.

Welcome back, D-Mo and Marcus! (?)  What effect will this have on the chemistry of the team now, I'm curious.  We can only hope the ghost of voided trades with Detroit past visits us and history repeats.

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,880 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

The good news: re-signing D-Mo this off season just got a lot cheaper.

The bad news: we may not want to re-sign him at all.

Option 3: exercise his $3.3M qualifying offer.  It makes him an unrestricted FA after next season, but it gives us a chance to see if his health can improve at a low cost.  At that price the risk/reward seems like a no-brainer.

#53 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 762 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

Option 3: exercise his $3.3M qualifying offer.  It makes him an unrestricted FA after next season, but it gives us a chance to see if his health can improve at a low cost.  At that price the risk/reward seems like a no-brainer.

Too bad I was already putting together a theoretical package for another star that included that pick. 

Sign me up for option three. Glad my guy is sticking around for a little while longer. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#54 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
            • Pip
            • 37 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:02 AM

I hope Kj still gets minutes

#55 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,299 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:36 AM

well everyone was upset D-Mo got traded now everyone's upset because he's back. I agree JG.....signing D-Mo this summer just got a lot cheaper. while I don't believe D-Mo would bite on a qualifying offer, he probably won't get much more than that. right now it's hard to tell whether Detroit did us a favor or cursed us. they have devalued one of our young raising players, but if the back does turn out to be solid we may get him at a bargain price. only time will tell us which. I would think the Rockets will now play D-Mo as much as possible so they themselves will have a better feel about his health. I will be watching this situation very closely the rest of the season. Pity too.........I was just starting to imagine what that draft pick could net us. hopefully (fingers crossed) D-Mo is ok and this whole thing is just a bump in the road

#56 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,880 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

well everyone was upset D-Mo got traded now everyone's upset because he's back. I agree JG.....signing D-Mo this summer just got a lot cheaper. while I don't believe D-Mo would bite on a qualifying offer, he probably won't get much more than that. right now it's hard to tell whether Detroit did us a favor or cursed us. they have devalued one of our young raising players, but if the back does turn out to be solid we may get him at a bargain price. only time will tell us which. I would think the Rockets will now play D-Mo as much as possible so they themselves will have a better feel about his health. I will be watching this situation very closely the rest of the season. Pity too.........I was just starting to imagine what that draft pick could net us. hopefully (fingers crossed) D-Mo is ok and this whole thing is just a bump in the road

Agreed.

On the qualifying offer--isn't that up to management to exercise?  I think as long as we do it by a certain date he is ours for the next year at $3.3M, but then he gets to hit free agency unrestricted...am I wrong on that?

I too got attached to that draft pick quickly.  What's done was done (or so we thought), and I was trying to see some silver linings.

I think we are going to have a very, very active off season.

#57 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 778 posts
              • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

On the qualifying offer--isn't that up to management to exercise?  I think as long as we do it by a certain date he is ours for the next year at $3.3M, but then he gets to hit free agency unrestricted...am I wrong on that?

I think that players can agree to an extension from July 1 to October 31 after their third season (like Harden did). Once you forfeit that instance (D-Mo's case), you have to extend that qualifying offer in order to have the right to match any other offer. My understanding of the matter (a little reading and NBA 2K) is that we have lost the ability to negotiate with D-Mo before he hits restricted free agency.

So let's say Houston offers 3.3 million (qualifying offer), Donatas negotiates with other teams: he can either accept a multi-year offer that could be matched by Houston or sign that one year deal with the Rockets and bank on himself having a breakout year next year when the cap will still be leaping (I think Monroe chose to take the qualifying because he deemed himself as a max player).

#58 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 778 posts
              • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

http://www.basketbal...-or-sign-later/

Here´s an article about rookie extensions to support what I thought regarding the capability of negotiating during the season

#59 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,880 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

I think that players can agree to an extension from July 1 to October 31 after their third season (like Harden did). Once you forfeit that instance (D-Mo's case), you have to extend that qualifying offer in order to have the right to match any other offer. My understanding of the matter (a little reading and NBA 2K) is that we have lost the ability to negotiate with D-Mo before he hits restricted free agency.

So let's say Houston offers 3.3 million (qualifying offer), Donatas negotiates with other teams: he can either accept a multi-year offer that could be matched by Houston or sign that one year deal with the Rockets and bank on himself having a breakout year next year when the cap will still be leaping (I think Monroe chose to take the qualifying because he deemed himself as a max player).

Ah, thank you.  I understood it differently...misunderstood, I mean.  B)

Hopefully he waits to sign any contract.  Morey will prioritize his big fish targets and we'll end up with another Parsons deal--albeit somewhat different.

#60 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,299 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

@JG

that's my fear with D-Mo. I think some other team will come calling. like I said before we are not the only ones who have been watching his progress. even with the back issue I think some GM will be unable to resist the chance of nabbing him at under market value based on his potential, hoping his back issues can at least be managed. I think the Rockets are in that flexibility frame of mind AGAIN and may view him as a plan C option come summer time and lose him while chasing bigger fish. a lot depends on this end of the season run because I'm sure the Rockets will base summer personnel decisions off what they think they see. I saw an interview with JBB yesterday where he said D-Mo would play a few more games in the D-league? I thought he was ready to go?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users