Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (21 June 2017 - 04:28 PM) Morey is locked in for four more years. Glad to have some stability at the helm after everything we've seen the last couple of weeks.
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 04:31 PM) It's a shame we don't have a first rounder this year. I did notice that the W's and the Cavs have 0 picks this year (not that they need them).
@  thejohnnygold : (16 June 2017 - 03:57 PM) Whoever picks him is going to be a happy camper
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 02:00 PM) De'Aaron Fox giving Bev a shout at the end of this piece
http://www.espn.com/...var-ball-chorus
@  slick shoes : (22 May 2017 - 05:25 PM) I can't decide if I want them to draft Ball or not.
@  thejohnnygold : (21 May 2017 - 02:50 PM) Don't worry...they'll find a way to screw it up.
@  slick shoes : (17 May 2017 - 03:52 PM) Is anyone else annoyed that the league reached out and helped the Lakers secure a top 3 pick to keep them from long term ruin?
@  Mario Peña : (13 May 2017 - 11:56 AM) It would appear James will take games off next year which is probably a good thing. Perhaps we will see some evolution from emphasis on regular season to being playoff ready both from a physical as well as a strategy standpoint.
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) I personally will be rooting for the Spurs in their next matchup with Golden State in the Western Conference Finals
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) Congratulations to the Spurs and Coach Pop. They completely destroyed the Rockets last night (understatement of the year)
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 02:55 AM) Very disappointing end to an otherwise great season.
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 01:10 AM) Stunningly bad. Out played, out coached and no one is stepping up :-(
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 01:07 AM) Well, it can't get any worse right?
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 12:35 AM) It's like Dekker has been waiting to play or something.
@  08huangj : (11 May 2017 - 12:08 PM) It is utterly baffling to me why MDA is not utilizing Dekker and Harrell. These two were integral to our dominant regular season bench!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:18 AM) Everything the TNT analysts said, I was screaming during OT. MDA blamed it on fatigue - no kidding sherlock, when you only use a 7 player rotation!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:17 AM) Sorely disappointed with that. Huge missed opportunity. I thought McHale was coaching again in overtime!
@  slick shoes : (10 May 2017 - 03:02 AM) No offensive scheme in overtime. No Parker, and no Leonard through all of overtime and you STILL can't close it out?!
@  thejohnnygold : (10 May 2017 - 02:57 AM) So much profanity in my home tonight...
@  Mario Peña : (08 May 2017 - 06:57 PM) Right Johnnygold! That was a good game!

Photo

DMO trade

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

Even worse, it looks like we had to ship out the Denver 2nd rounder we had to trade Anthony to the sixers. So we gave up Dmo and Thornton, 2 rotation players (well Dmo only if he is healthy obviously), to move from the early 2nd to the late 1st. I'm not sure what Morey was thinking here. 

Edit: Just now realized that the Nuggets 2nd rounder was in 2017... I'm still not a big fan. 

Edited by txtdo1411, 18 February 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#22 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

Chukwudiebere Maduabum, so this is the guy we gave up dmo for.

#23 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
    • Pip
    • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

I've been a moreys supporter so far, but now I think he has lost his mind I gave him a past for drafting the Morris twin over Leonard who he had on his radar, but this one I don't get at all. But maybe Harrell who has the potential to develop a jump shot is more appealing in the long run, and thorton was nice in spurts off the bench but overall in my opinion he killed our 2nd unit offense. Maybe now Kj can get some time, and Lawson can fully take control of the 2nd unit. I don't know anything anymore, this trade surprised the hell out of me

#24 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,379 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

Like the McHale firing, this has Alexander's fingerprints all over it. No owner wants to pay luxury tax for a .500 team.

#25 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,858 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

Chukwudiebere Maduabum, so this is the guy we gave up dmo for.

As if Donatas Motiejunas wasn't tough enough for people to say and spell.... :lol:  

Hopefully, that first round pick is who we gave up D-Mo for....

Also, I just saw this....and I'm even more confused and upset  :(

Motiejunas to Houston Chronicle: "I'm fully healthy, 100 percent, and think I will give a boost to Detroit to make the playoffs." LINK

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

#26 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
      • Pip
      • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

Detroit is scary good, I think they are now the 2nd best team in the east being that Chicago has health problems

#27 BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden

• Members
        • Pip
        • 35 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

Right before the deadline I had read Beverley and DET 1st round pick were sent to ATL for Teague. Unfortunately, that was a joke.

#28 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 234 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

As if Donatas Motiejunas wasn't tough enough for people to say and spell.... :lol:  

Hopefully, that first round pick is who we gave up D-Mo for....

Also, I just saw this....and I'm even more confused and upset  :(

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

If he truly is healthy, then Morey has officially lost his mind. 

#29 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 179 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

I get that DMo is a fan favorite (he was actually my favorite player on the Rockets), but as things seem right now, this trade isn't bad for us. We're giving away an upcoming RFA who, because of recurring back issues (big man and back issues do not often end well...), was probably not going to get the offer he wanted from us. That's not his fault - of course he's gonna bet on his health/improvement and vie for a bigger contract. Anyways, chances were that he was gonna get a more lucrative offer from another team and leave. And getting a mid first-rounder for that guy?? That's more than I would have thought.

Now, obviously, the big kicker here is how his back really is. Of course he's gonna say he's healthy, cause like I said, you'd expect a guy to bet on his own health/improvement.

Time might prove it wrong, but this was a fair trade that made sense for both sides.

Lastly, on an emotional note, I will freaking miss DMo, since he was my fave player on this team :(

Edited by cointurtlemoose, 18 February 2016 - 10:20 PM.

#30 majik19

majik19

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 484 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:25 PM

Detroit is scary good, I think they are now the 2nd best team in the east being that Chicago has health problems

Toronto is the second best team. 

Right now, the Celtics are still better. 

I really hope this trades bodes well for Harrell and Dekker... I guess Morey didn't want to resign a guy with chronic back problems. 

Edited by majik19, 18 February 2016 - 11:26 PM.

#31 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
              • Pip
              • 37 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:20 AM

Toronto is the second best team.

Right now, the Celtics are still better.

I really hope this trades bodes well for Harrell and Dekker... I guess Morey didn't want to resign a guy with chronic back problems.

#32 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
                • Pip
                • 37 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

I believe those teams were better before the trades took place, but i think Tobiaas Harris really places them above the teams You mentioned

#33 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 466 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:24 AM

I will go ahead with the Durant and LeBron are coming to Houston this offseason post. Of course that will happen with the exit of D12 and Lawson. Contingent on neither the Cavs or Thunder winning this season.

Morey chasing unicorns, again.

Edited by Jatman20, 19 February 2016 - 01:25 AM.

#34 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 745 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:00 AM

I will go ahead with the Durant and LeBron are coming to Houston this offseason post. Of course that will happen with the exit of D12 and Lawson. Contingent on neither the Cavs or Thunder winning this season.

Morey chasing unicorns, again.

This is just the prequel to the sequel. The bluff to beef up the pot before you go all in. Repeat of last summer? 

P.s. Remember when everyone was upset about Melo on the side of Toyota Center wearing Jeremy Lin's number? That was funny.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#35 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 529 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

Like the McHale firing, this has Alexander's fingerprints all over it. No owner wants to pay luxury tax for a .500 team.

I think it is both Les and Morey. I doubt that any owner wants to pay the luxury tax for this team. Also, I think Morey did not like to be so close to being hard capped.

#36 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 529 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:23 AM

I can only hope that it is because his back is permanently broken. That, or Morey knows he is getting fired and is burning the place down before he goes.

Also, I presume there is a draft pick or 2 involved here....

Letting my mind wander....is this an indicator that Dwight is on his way out and we are about to get a stud PF?

If DMOs back is a reoccurring issue, than Morey made a good trade. If DMO is healthy and plays well, then it is time for Morey to go.

#37 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 529 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:32 AM

Is there a chance Detroit doesn't leapfrog one of Chicago/Charlotte to get into the playoffs? All 3 are neck and neck. If not, we're looking at mid-teens. If so, late teens early 20's on that draft pick.

@Ale11 - I totally agree. Detroit is gonna be good. I imagine Cleveland/Toronto are looking at that potential playoff match-up this season and are not overly excited. That's going to be a tougher out than people think.

If Chicago does not get Butler back soon, they will probably drop out of the playoffs.
                          With so many new pieces, I think it is going to take longer than 20 games to come together. They are not going to have enough practice time. Next year, watch out

#38 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                          • 4,858 posts
                          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

If Chicago does not get Butler back soon, they will probably drop out of the playoffs.
                          With so many new pieces, I think it is going to take longer than 20 games to come together. They are not going to have enough practice time. Next year, watch out

You're probably right.  And I agree with you that If D-Mo is healthy and suddenly starts doing D-Mo things in Detroit I'm not going to be very pleased with Morey.

#39 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • 4,299 posts
                          • Locationhouston

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

You're probably right.  And I agree with you that If D-Mo is healthy and suddenly starts doing D-Mo things in Detroit I'm not going to be very pleased with Morey.

@JG

after a day to soak in the full impact of the trade.........I think the Rockets done the right thing. while D-Mo does have a nice skill set, big men with back issues after such a short time in the league is a worry. the Rockets were going to have to commit to D-Mo this summer without knowing whether he was going to be good for the long term on not. I read an article where SVG acknowledged that D-Mo was indeed a high risk for them, but that he thought the reward was worth the gamble. there will be lots of interest in D-Mo this summer, we are not the only ones who have been watching his growth. that type of interest may cause someone to overpay for possible damaged goods.is 27 games enough to really get a feel to see if a player injuries are part of his past but not part of his future? especially in a BACK INJURY situation where you may have to commit big money? that's likely the question Morey was asking and the result of yesterday is his answer. if we end up keeping D-12 do you really want 2 players with back issues? Morey has more information than either of us on the subject. I'm going to trust him on this one

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                          • 4,858 posts
                          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:21 AM

@JG

after a day to soak in the full impact of the trade.........I think the Rockets done the right thing. while D-Mo does have a nice skill set, big men with back issues after such a short time in the league is a worry. the Rockets were going to have to commit to D-Mo this summer without knowing whether he was going to be good for the long term on not. I read an article where SVG acknowledged that D-Mo was indeed a high risk for them, but that he thought the reward was worth the gamble. there will be lots of interest in D-Mo this summer, we are not the only ones who have been watching his growth. that type of interest may cause someone to overpay for possible damaged goods.is 27 games enough to really get a feel to see if a player injuries are part of his past but not part of his future? especially in a BACK INJURY situation where you may have to commit big money? that's likely the question Morey was asking and the result of yesterday is his answer. if we end up keeping D-12 do you really want 2 players with back issues? Morey has more information than either of us on the subject. I'm going to trust him on this one

You're probably right.  At the same time, a pretty smart guy (SVG) decided it was worth a first round pick to gamble on a player of his caliber.  One of SVG/Morey is going to look like a genius--the other will be chided for their poor decision.  As you said, Morey likely has more knowledge than anyone not named D-Mo of his health.  If it was me, I would have gambled the other way--reason #1 I'd probably be a bad GM  :lol:

I don't know.  It's still a bit emotional for me.  He was a favorite of mine (and many other Rox fans).  Players like him don't grow on trees.  I hope Morey made the right call.

I know most of us will be keeping an eye on what happens with him in Detroit.  I'll be rooting for him no matter what...and possibly cursing Morey for years to come.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users