Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (21 June 2017 - 04:28 PM) Morey is locked in for four more years. Glad to have some stability at the helm after everything we've seen the last couple of weeks.
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 04:31 PM) It's a shame we don't have a first rounder this year. I did notice that the W's and the Cavs have 0 picks this year (not that they need them).
@  thejohnnygold : (16 June 2017 - 03:57 PM) Whoever picks him is going to be a happy camper
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 02:00 PM) De'Aaron Fox giving Bev a shout at the end of this piece
http://www.espn.com/...var-ball-chorus
@  slick shoes : (22 May 2017 - 05:25 PM) I can't decide if I want them to draft Ball or not.
@  thejohnnygold : (21 May 2017 - 02:50 PM) Don't worry...they'll find a way to screw it up.
@  slick shoes : (17 May 2017 - 03:52 PM) Is anyone else annoyed that the league reached out and helped the Lakers secure a top 3 pick to keep them from long term ruin?
@  Mario Peña : (13 May 2017 - 11:56 AM) It would appear James will take games off next year which is probably a good thing. Perhaps we will see some evolution from emphasis on regular season to being playoff ready both from a physical as well as a strategy standpoint.
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) I personally will be rooting for the Spurs in their next matchup with Golden State in the Western Conference Finals
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) Congratulations to the Spurs and Coach Pop. They completely destroyed the Rockets last night (understatement of the year)
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 02:55 AM) Very disappointing end to an otherwise great season.
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 01:10 AM) Stunningly bad. Out played, out coached and no one is stepping up :-(
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 01:07 AM) Well, it can't get any worse right?
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 12:35 AM) It's like Dekker has been waiting to play or something.
@  08huangj : (11 May 2017 - 12:08 PM) It is utterly baffling to me why MDA is not utilizing Dekker and Harrell. These two were integral to our dominant regular season bench!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:18 AM) Everything the TNT analysts said, I was screaming during OT. MDA blamed it on fatigue - no kidding sherlock, when you only use a 7 player rotation!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:17 AM) Sorely disappointed with that. Huge missed opportunity. I thought McHale was coaching again in overtime!
@  slick shoes : (10 May 2017 - 03:02 AM) No offensive scheme in overtime. No Parker, and no Leonard through all of overtime and you STILL can't close it out?!
@  thejohnnygold : (10 May 2017 - 02:57 AM) So much profanity in my home tonight...
@  Mario Peña : (08 May 2017 - 06:57 PM) Right Johnnygold! That was a good game!

Photo

Ball is life: Dwight Howard, a super star with class

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

The problem Howard has on D is that when he is guarding on the Pnr he often gets switched onto a PG or SG. The guards than explode by him or shoot over him. Howard used to be able to handle guards on the perimeter but cannot now. GSW small ball lineup is not an offensive weapon, it is a defensive weapon. They can switch everything and swarm. Their center draymond green can guard 1-5. The more flexibility you have on the floor offensively and defensively, the better off your team will be.

I agree flexibility is a good thing defensively and offensively, however a team must have the personnel to run such a system. not every team has a D. Green. small ball is not the only successful way in which a championship can be won. GSW have a successful small ball team because they have the personnel to run it..............we don't. we need to stop trying to run what their good at and run what we are good at.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#22 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,858 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

I agree flexibility is a good thing defensively and offensively, however a team must have the personnel to run such a system. not every team has a D. Green. small ball is not the only successful way in which a championship can be won. GSW have a successful small ball team because they have the personnel to run it..............we don't. we need to stop trying to run what their good at and run what we are good at.

I agree.  Look back at the last Lakers championship squads.  They were huge.  Outside of Fisher and Farmar, that is.  They won with rebounding and defense.  Would GS be able to compete with them?  I'd love to be able to watch it play out.

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,858 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:57 PM

I was wondering if you guys ever thought about who Johnny Gold is.  I swear he is Johnny Flynn in his mom's basement somewhere eating potatoe chips reliving his glory days.

neckbeard%2Bmaster%2Bflat.jpg

#24 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:40 PM

@RocketsBestFan: Yes most teams don't have the personnel to match what the Warriors are doing; but what do we do? Petition the NBA offices to not crown another NBA champion until we do get the personnel. When will that be? After we sign D12 to a 5-year Max deal which he is seeking? Because Dwight is a 10 year vet I think the Rockets would have to pay him $30-$33 mil the first year depending on if the soft cap is $91-$95 mil. (See chart in post #6 on this article). Do the Rockets have to pay that?...No. Does Howard have to accept less from us?......No. Kevin Love signed a 4 year deal with the Timberwolves and turned around and did nothing but B**** about how the T-wolves disrespected him by not offering a 5th year. Who twisted your are K-Love? Will D12 see a less than 5 year deal as a slap in the face?

List the last centers to win a championship: 14-15 Bogut (Warriors $13M), 13-14 Splitter (Spurs $10M), 12-13 Haslem (Heat $4.1M), 11-12 Haslem (Heat $3.0M), 10-11 Chandler (Dallas $12.8M), 09-10 Bynum (Lakers $12.5M), 08-09 Bynum (Lakers $$2.8M). The theme is they made under $14 million. In 07-08 Kevin Garnett made $22 million; but did he play PF or Center? Playoffs that year KG played 26 games while Perkins played 25.
    Don't tell me we can't win with a lesser Center. If the NBA was an Internet "trend".....the NBA is "trending" towards fast pace uptempo. Fast pace uptempo is too much for D12. It takes a toll on his knees and back. It goes against what the Rockets will try to do next season. IMHO. Bynum was the last center to win a championship while featuring post ups. That was centuries ago.

Edited by Jatman20, 22 February 2016 - 08:43 PM.

#25 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 466 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

They had Harrison Barnes on NBA TV last night. Bones, Rick Fox, Seiko Smith (sorry about the spelling), I believe it was Vince Scaline (again, sorry about spelling the name incorrectly). They were talking about the "Lineup of Death" that the Warriors run. I wrote down the numbers................
      Draymond Green, Barnes, Klay, Curry, Iggy: OffRtg (142.8), Net Rtg (48.1), Assist % (68.8), Pace (109.8), True Shooting % (76.7).

The Championship goes thru the Warriors: if there is an injury then so be it.....but don't count on it. Did the Warriors corner the market on 3 & D guys? No.
      We have to go out and get them. Replace Brewer, Lawson and KJ (if he can't improve his shooting) and TJ. Go out and get a guy like Korver this summer. It does me no good to pay an extraordinary amount of money for the services of an attorney, only to have that attorney tell me he won't be attending court the day I need him/her. Barnes was bragging that they can play the whole game with their lineup of death......which means D12 will have to defend the perimeter or sit. It kills me to pay a guy $30 million/year....only to have him sit when I need him most (WCF). I would rather sit Pachulia.
      Guys that can't shoot are liabilities in today's NBA. Rondo, Tony Allen, Brewer......and Big's like D12.

Edited by Jatman20, 22 February 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#26 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 466 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:52 AM

I was able to find the clip. Sekuo Smith and Jerod Greenberg. Barnes says they are able change parts with Barbosa and Livingston not play the entire game with the lineup. In the stats the presented, the Warriors play the lineup of death 4.8 mins per game on the average. I felt like they play it 16-20 mins a game. Sometimes it looks like they are playing 7 guys on the court at the same time. Click on the one titled: GameTime: Harrison Barnes. (8:57)

http://www.nba.com/v...on-barnes.nba/#

Edited by Jatman20, 23 February 2016 - 01:55 AM.

#27 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,858 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:54 AM

Jatman - all of those teams you listed used post ups on their way to the championship.  Further, you have said yourself that a post up is just an iso play.  All of those teams ran lots of iso plays.  None of them went through the "center" besides Bynum, but that has as much to do with the lack of talent at the position during that span as anything else.

No one, including RBF, is telling you we can't win with a lesser center.  No need to bludgeon us with that idea since no one disagrees.  Give me Westbrook, Curry, James, and Durant...you can put any piece of meat with a jersey at center with that line up.  So what?  We aren't getting that group together and if you believe any handful of 3 & D guys can produce the same effect as GS's line up of death...well, I like your optimism.

All 5 of those guys can beat their man off the dribble, shoot, pass, finish at the rim, make quick reads, and play unselfishly all while committing to a system with maximum effort on both ends of the floor.  It's easier said than done to find another 5 guys that can do all that and have excellent chemistry.  Oh, and a coach--we'll need one of those too.

After that, you need to find a Bogut, Speights, Barbosa, Livingston (who loves post ups, by the way), and Ezeli.

Dwight is hobbled (and has been for most of the past few years).  A healthy Dwight would give the Warriors small ball unit fits--especially if we had 4 other worthy defenders to put with him.

As far as Dwight's contract goes--I don't think anyone wants Houston to give him $30M/year.  I don't think anyone wants him to have a 5 year deal.  Until he opts out/in there is nothing but speculation to be done.

The reality is GS is an anomaly.  Everything fell right for them.  Timing is everything and they nailed it.  Heck, even Curry's bad ankles helped keep his price tag down.

OKC, were they to have timed it to hit the increased salary cap would have kept Harden and maybe kept Eric Bledsoe.  Let that sink in.  Even if they had not kept Bledsoe they most likely keep Reggie Jackson.So, you can replace Bledsoe with Jackson and it's still looking pretty good.

Bledsoe, Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka.  That team is in the same stratosphere as GS.

What's the common denominator.  They did it by drafting.  They stunk, made some good trades, and used draft picks to get a core going

Harrison Barnes is about to become the highest paid member of that group and he is currently 4th/5th in the pecking order.  In a few years, once they have to re-up all these contracts I think they will struggle to keep the team together; although, GS will likely get lucky again by having a group of guys who all take a discount to keep the team together.

One last thing...let us not forget that in 2013 GS made a hard run at Howard.  They wanted him and, once again, they got "lucky".  

#28 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 466 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

Good conversation. It's makes me very happy to see people pushing post ups from the big's. If you, RBF and myself are the norm (small sample size) I'm glad. I feel like 3/4 of the people see teams need to go small and abandon the post ups. If 2/3rds of the owners and GM's think like you and RBF.....then there is a chance Houston can get ahead of the curve. I know I'm on the right track when the Thunder traded for Foye and the Cavs traded for Frye (after trying to get Ariza or McLemore or Dudley) and the Clippers traded for Jeff Green. All an attempt to match up with the Warriors.

Bledsoe was not with the Thunder.....you must mean another player. Or did they own his draft rights?

#29 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 466 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:20 AM

I have written before that I'm not against post ups entirely......Dwight has a frequency of posting up like at about 29%. Way to much (needs to come down to about 14%). My belief and my belief only, NBA stars doing want to play on a Dwight Howard team because of that. The Stars will join Harden (who isos at a freq of about 28% per NBA.com/stats). Just my opinion. It's hard for for to accept Howard being injured. I saw him like superman in the first and second round during the most recent playoffs. Did he have another procedure in the offseason? Sorry, I wasn't aware of it. Harden has shared the ball with those on world teams or all star games. He will again with Durant if possible. Westbrook is an egomaniac. The most recent all star game showed it. It was Kobe's night. Red carpet treatment during the ASG and Westbrook thought everybody was there to see him. Harden got the memo....why didn't anyone tell ego maniac Westbrook. He took 17 three point attempts. It's got to be frustrating for Durant to play with Westbrook.

Edited by Jatman20, 23 February 2016 - 02:25 AM.

#30 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 529 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:42 AM

Good conversation. It's makes me very happy to see people pushing post ups from the big's. If you, RBF and myself are the norm (small sample size) I'm glad. I feel like 3/4 of the people see teams need to go small and abandon the post ups. If 2/3rds of the owners and GM's think like you and RBF.....then there is a chance Houston can get ahead of the curve. I know I'm on the right track when the Thunder traded for Foye and the Cavs traded for Frye (after trying to get Ariza or McLemore or Dudley) and the Clippers traded for Jeff Green. All an attempt to match up with the Warriors.

Bledsoe was not with the Thunder.....you must mean another player. Or did they own his draft rights?

Bledsoe was drafted by OKC and traded to the Clips the year after OKC drafted Harden and Eric Maynor.

#31 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 466 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:02 AM

I think you are right about the Warriors. Rahat just wrote something similar. The Warriors tried to trade Thompson for Kevin Love. Guys like Iggy and Barbosa were not good 3 point shooters. I think Iggy shot about 28% from 3 prior to going to Golden state. They turned themselves into the juggernaut that they are. Playoff time last year they had 3 guys shooting from 3-point line. Now they all practically shoot 40% from 3.

D12: 32.2 mins 14.6 pts 11.9 RB 1.4 Blk 104 DRtg.......vs........Capela 20.8 mins 7.3 pts 6.9 RB 1.2 Blk 104 DRtg

Per 36 mins
                D12: 16.3 pts 13.3 RB 1.6 Blk .............vs...........Capela: 12.6 pts 11.9 RB 2.1 Blk
                Sorry if it appears I'm beating up on anyone. You want to go thru the draft, well there it is. Stats are just a basis. Capela has a lot to learn still; but he made great strides from year one to this one. In the exit interview the Rockets will give him a dossier asking him to work on things during the summer.

My plan would be something like this: soft cap goes to about $95 mil with the hard cap being about $15 mil + the $4 mil apron. = $114 mil.
                Harden ($16.8), Ariza ($7.8), Bev ($6), Capela ($1.3) Harrell ($1.1), Dekker ($1.7), Horford ($26 M...8 yr vet), Durant (26 M...8 yr vet)= $86 mil.
                My wish was to trade Brewer and KJ with the 1st and get Korver somehow. Now that throws things off is the trade was voided for D-Mo. Of course the Rockets would have to renounce the right to all FA's. Korver is just $5 mil next season. So that leaves me at $91 mil. I would expect Dallas to get D12.... Add Sergio Llull for about $8 mil with buyout. Mr Alexander paid a pretty penny for his rights.....I hope he is eligible so we can find out what he's got. With NBA pros. If possible add Zaza Pachulia. That would be 11 players. 1st) Llull/Harden/Durant/Horford/Zaza Pachulia
                2) Bev/Ariza/Korver/Harrell/Capela 3) Small ball lineup Durant/Ariza/Korver/Harden/ Llull (6'4"). That's a time I can beat the Warriors with.

#32 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 466 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:09 AM

Oh on Bledsoe......I wanted Whiteside but his freq in postups is high with a poor ppp. I think the Heat cleared enough room to sign Whiteside and Wade. But Gerald Green may be available as a result. Not the greatest defender but can play a little D and make a basket or 2. We shall see how it plays out. Morey will like the Capela production > $ vs Howard production < $. Capelas contract reminds me of Parsons contract before free agency. It's his time win or lose. We are at .500 with D12. Not good. Now the Rockets have to pay the luxury tax. If I'm the boss I'm furious. If D12 makes a ton of money next year. If he can't be on the court during the Warriors game.....then he better be selling popcorn and ushering people to their seats. If I'm the owner. The difference between me and you/RBF is that the two of you think D12 attracts FA's to Houston.......I think just the opposite. He pushes the big stars away. He is a great guy. Just perceived wrong for the wrong reasons. Hard to un-do. Everybody try's to toe the company line in a contract year. Only players and management know if D12 was open to PnR. I have seen his freq drop from 11% to 10%. I will be watching that on NBA.com/stats to see if it increases= greater wins as the season finishes.

Edited by Jatman20, 23 February 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#33 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,597 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:16 AM

The problem Howard has on D is that when he is guarding on the Pnr he often gets switched onto a PG or SG. The guards than explode by him or shoot over him. Howard used to be able to handle guards on the perimeter but cannot now. GSW small ball lineup is not an offensive weapon, it is a defensive weapon. They can switch everything and swarm. Their center draymond green can guard 1-5. The more flexibility you have on the floor offensively and defensively, the better off your team will be.

Kevin McHale was actually talking about this the other day in an interview.  The Dwight Howard of Orlando was a one man defensive wrecking crew, able to come out on the pick and roll and then recover back and blow it up at the basket.  Now, he simply can't move his feet out on the perimeter.  We saw the first signs of this in the Portland series (we showed some screen shots at the time) where he was really laboring switching back onto LaMarcus Aldridge.

#34 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 466 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:27 AM

Oh and Horford averages 1.5 Blks per game. Howard 1.4. I'm sure if Howard went to the sixers, he could probably average 18 point and 14 rebounds. Be the alpha dog. Will he win? Depends on who is around him on the team he goes to.....but if he tries to perform postups a freq of 30% or more. Chances are he won't win a championship. Not now-a-days. His 3 point shooters better shoot about 45%. Because uptempo teams are playing the numbers game. Touch downs vs field goals. Slight exaggeration; but that extra one point adds up big time. I have a question for you JG. Do you think the owners will change the hack-a-player rule before July 1st? Before July 10th? Or after players sign?

#35 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 466 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

Yes, in fairness to Howard. First TJ did so bad helping defensively and Asik hurt the spacing on the offensive end when he replaced TJ as the starter. In that Portland series. I copied about 6 articles yesterday about Howard hating the PnR everywhere he has gone. Probably just as many saying he loves PnR. The one that matters to me is Nash saying he hated and resisted PnR while in L.A. He does say that may have been because he didn't want to be too awesome and the fans get too attached to him........he may have decided early he wanted away from Kobe.

Edited by Jatman20, 23 February 2016 - 03:34 AM.

#36 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,858 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Jatman--you're throwing out lots of stuff here.  That's good.  You're also putting words in the mouths of others and, consequently, conversing more with yourself than either of us.  Less good.

I appreciate your vision of the future and the type of team you want to build.  That's great.  I believe you may be unclear on what it is RBF and myself are getting at.

(A quick aside while I'm thinking about it.  Sergio Llull is not coming over.  He has made it very clear he has no interest in the Rockets.  You're going to need to find another PG.)

It seems, mostly, that you are unclear on the direction I believe the team should go, how it should go about getting there, the type of offense it should run, the usefulness of big men, Dwight Howard, and the usefulness of post ups.  I'm sure that is my failure in not expressing it properly; although, it does take the sting out of your not-subtle derision knowing that it is not directed at RBF, nor myself, but your presumptive understandings that mainly serve to frame your own ideas in a self-satisfying light.

In short, while you may be enjoying this discussion I am finding it a bit one-sided.  Taking the time to respond has lost its value having realized there is little comprehension.  Again, I'm sure that is my failure, but it's time for me to bow out on this one.  Thanks for the discussion.  Maybe RBF or someone else will keep it going for you

#37 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,299 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

@Jatman20

I thought we agreed to disagree on this one? we simply see things differently when it come to ways in which the championship can be won. I respect your opinion I just disagree. I don't think we have to duplicate what the GSW are doing to win. I know you don't like D-12, but I feel he can still be valuable to us. I'm not pushing for him to get a max deal. this season has been a nightmare, but I believe D-12 is not one of the problems as many seem to believe. he can be part of the solution. how the other pieces on the team come together is more important than looking for ways to replace him cheaply. we got bigger fish to fry right now

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users