Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (24 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) we don't deserve a playoff spot. this is an awful basketball team.
@  majik19 : (24 March 2016 - 02:43 AM) major loss for playoffs...
@  majik19 : (23 March 2016 - 02:44 AM) fitting that they lost on a dumb turnover.
@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...

Photo

Terrence Jones COMPLETELY out of the lineup.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

Trade upon us????

Also for a kicker, why is Patrick Beverly not enough of a point guard for us?  The guy has shown great progression this season.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,390 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

Trade upon us????

Also for a kicker, why is Patrick Beverly not enough of a point guard for us?  The guy has shown great progression this season.

At this point, I don't think anyone outside the announcer's booth thinks highly of Jones.  They repeatedly talk about him being more than he is.  I'd like to think NBA GM's see him for what he is and aren't looking to give up more than a 2nd rounder or a bad contract for him.

I like what Bev has been doing since getting back the starting gig.  I agree that he is enough.  He gets pretty good results from that baseline curl he does often.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,211 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

At this point, I don't think anyone outside the announcer's booth thinks highly of Jones.  They repeatedly talk about him being more than he is.  I'd like to think NBA GM's see him for what he is and aren't looking to give up more than a 2nd rounder or a bad contract for him.

I like what Bev has been doing since getting back the starting gig.  I agree that he is enough.  He gets pretty good results from that baseline curl he does often.

hold on there JG. I still believe in TJ's abilities. while I'm down on him right now I don't believe him to be a lost cause. he doesn't fit what we apparently want at PF, but he is not without talent. mark my words. if he is traded to a team that will use him for what he is he will excel and have us asking the question why were we unable to extract his talents

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,390 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

hold on there JG. I still believe in TJ's abilities. while I'm down on him right now I don't believe him to be a lost cause. he doesn't fit what we apparently want at PF, but he is not without talent. mark my words. if he is traded to a team that will use him for what he is he will excel and have us asking the question why were we unable to extract his talents

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.   :)  Jones has tons of talent but seems to lack the ability to properly employ it.  At this point, I am doubtful he ever will.  

#5 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 698 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

Guys the biggest issue is not TJ's talent. I think its more of BB IQ, he has been in the league for 3 years now, he still lost on rotations, and positioning. While he has those eye catching blocks once in a while he is terrible on D. He also not strong enough to keep a post up player in check. I think in our team he is a lost cause as long as Harden is here, because Harden is a turnstile and that puts our Bigs in bad spots, and TJ can't handle this situation. I can see him strive in a good defensive team that can hide him and needs his energy.

#6 Willk

Willk

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 459 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Unfortunately sometimes a player needs a wake-up call and that wake-up call usually is a trade or getting released. It would not surprise me is TJones became a star on his next team because he finally has a chip on his shoulder and he realizes that his job in the NBA is not guaranteed.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,390 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

Here's a clip of JB "coaching up" Terrence Jones during the Heat game.

Caution: NSFW LANGUAGE

Link

Certainly gives some insight into what he wants from Jones...the question is why does he need to be told this?  Seems like something he'd learn in his first year.

#8 MrLobble

MrLobble

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 52 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:01 AM

I moved to the greater Phoenix area, so I went to the Suns' game last night just for sh*** and giggles...

I left thinking 'OMG Markeiff would look great in a Rockets' uniform" and he'd be a major upgrade over Capela/TJ'.

He was physical, knocking down 3pt shots, a monster on the boards as a lone wolf since Tyson Chandler was in foul trouble, leading fast breaks, and posterizing everything insight... Unfortunately, that 30pt, 11 board, 6 assist performance against Raptors probably just boosted his value; I saw today that the Raptors coincidentally reached out to the Suns today. 

I feel like we've all discounted Markeiff too much based on the Hornacek feud etc., and have overpriced Capela for now. Capela, while he should become a monster, is still green. He fumbles passes, attempts too many layups, gets pushed around, and is basically one dimensional on offense for now. 

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,211 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

Here's a clip of JB "coaching up" Terrence Jones during the Heat game.

Caution: NSFW LANGUAGE

Link

Certainly gives some insight into what he wants from Jones...the question is why does he need to be told this?  Seems like something he'd learn in his first year.

first to address the issue of why Jones needs to be told this during the game. every player has been coached up during games. that's why coaches call timeouts so this behavior is not reserved for TJ alone. second I respect your view of TJ even though I don't agree with it. I believe TJ has been the result of BAD coaching and improper use of his talent. TJ is closer to a K. Faried type talent and we have been asking him to play a more Ryan Anderson type role. he can be an offensive weapon, but the role we are asking for within our system relegates him to standing in the corner waiting for 3 point opportunities or back door cuts to the basket. to take this a step further........it's not just TJ that is being improperly used within our system. all of our big's are suffering the same fate from D-12 on down. our team is to perimeter oriented. that's why we have no half court offense. we don't use our big's like big's. we are more interested in using our big's to set screens to help our perimeter players to launch more 3s. THAT'S OUR PROBLEM and more of the reason I'm beginning to hate the read and react offense. we are asking our PF's to play more like SF's than the traditional PF role and critical of them because they can't excel at it. wrong approach IMO. we need to start using them like traditional PFs and centers and my guess is the results will validate that decision. these players are not without talent, but we aren't benefitting from their talent because we aren't tapping into their capabilities.

Guys the biggest issue is not TJ's talent. I think its more of BB IQ, he has been in the league for 3 years now, he still lost on rotations, and positioning. While he has those eye catching blocks once in a while he is terrible on D. He also not strong enough to keep a post up player in check. I think in our team he is a lost cause as long as Harden is here, because Harden is a turnstile and that puts our Bigs in bad spots, and TJ can't handle this situation. I can see him strive in a good defensive team that can hide him and needs his energy.

no doubt TJ isn't the sharpest pencil in the cup, but he has enough smarts to play the game if used properly. I do agree that we put all of our bigs in bad position because we  refuse to make our perimeter players hole up their share of defensive responsibilities. everyone blames our big's for defensive lapses, but our real problem starts on the perimeter where our defense is almost nonexistent. using 2 players (PF and Center) to play defense when the offense is using 5 players to run offense is the root of the problem. it's also one of the reasons we are a weak rebounding team 

Unfortunately sometimes a player needs a wake-up call and that wake-up call usually is a trade or getting released. It would not surprise me is TJones became a star on his next team because he finally has a chip on his shoulder and he realizes that his job in the NBA is not guaranteed.

I agree to some degree. however I would say fit is more important. whether a player fits the role he is being ask to play. TJ doesn't fit the role the Rockets want him to play. what we want simply isn't within his capabilities, but another team that has a role more in tune with his talents could benefit by tapping into said talent

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,556 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:49 PM

David Thorpe was on a recent Zach Lowe podcast and described Terrence Jones as "unstoppable", or something of that nature...and I've typically heard national types speak glowingly of him.

So in conclusion, I don't know.  

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,390 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

David Thorpe was on a recent Zach Lowe podcast and described Terrence Jones as "unstoppable", or something of that nature...and I've typically heard national types speak glowingly of him.

So in conclusion, I don't know.  

Whenever I hear a pundit say stuff like that--even well-respected ones--I assume they aren't watching the games and, at best, are catching the highlights.

I'll concede that the Rockets have a square peg in Jones that does not fit the round hole we want to squeeze him into.  I have no doubt he will be on an NBA roster next season.  Someone will roll the dice thinking maybe it will all "click" for him this year.  Maybe it will.  Maybe he just needs to be a "power" player and ditch all the finesse stuff.  I don't know.

What I do know is after watching him for some time now I just don't see improvement.  He's got too many flaws to log major minutes on a championship team.  He's certainly an NBA talent, but the kind we would normally see playing for the Bucks, the Nets, or some other perennially bad to mediocre team.

It's weird because we've all seen the silky post moves, the nice dribbling, the 3 pt. range, the spectacular blocks both in the post and on the perimeter, and his ability to finish off of cuts/rolls can be awesome.

The problem is, we are just as likely to see him go up weak time after time against mediocre defenders and get stuffed at the rim, the not-so-good-ball-handling, the low 3 pt%, looking lost on defense, or, worse, just getting destroyed by superior players.  I feel like we see more of the bad than the good.  If it's the coach's fault, so be it.  I'm not convinced.

#12 Willk

Willk

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 459 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:48 AM

Whenever I hear a pundit say stuff like that--even well-respected ones--I assume they aren't watching the games and, at best, are catching the highlights.

I'll concede that the Rockets have a square peg in Jones that does not fit the round hole we want to squeeze him into. I have no doubt he will be on an NBA roster next season. Someone will roll the dice thinking maybe it will all "click" for him this year. Maybe it will. Maybe he just needs to be a "power" player and ditch all the finesse stuff. I don't know.

What I do know is after watching him for some time now I just don't see improvement. He's got too many flaws to log major minutes on a championship team. He's certainly an NBA talent, but the kind we would normally see playing for the Bucks, the Nets, or some other perennially bad to mediocre team.

It's weird because we've all seen the silky post moves, the nice dribbling, the 3 pt. range, the spectacular blocks both in the post and on the perimeter, and his ability to finish off of cuts/rolls can be awesome.

The problem is, we are just as likely to see him go up weak time after time against mediocre defenders and get stuffed at the rim, the not-so-good-ball-handling, the low 3 pt%, looking lost on defense, or, worse, just getting destroyed by superior players. I feel like we see more of the bad than the good. If it's the coach's fault, so be it. I'm not convinced.

TJones is extremely talented. He has so many skills and his athletic ability is off the charts. There is no way he should be an average to below average player. His skill set and his athletic ability are much better than Draymond Green, however Tjones does not have the same motor or basketball IQ that Green has. You draft Tjones over green every time but it is obvious that Jones has not put in the work to get the next level like green has.
              I believe that a big part of this is that instead of getting better the majority of the organization, tjones included, spent the summer celebrating last year's success instead of putting in the necessary work. It also didn't help that Zach Lowe stated during the summer that someone was going to offer Jones $16 mil a year. I'm sure Jones read that and thought he already made it.
              Unfortunately, the only thing I think that will motivate Jones is a trade to another team. There is no doubt he will be in the NBA next year and he will be making significantly less then the $16 mil Zach Lowe thought. I do think he will be a border line all star, especially if he ends up on a team like the Spurs. I would hate to think about what he would become on the Warriors.

#13 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 416 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

The kid is a season away from being a bonafide veteran.  His ceiling has been reached.  Underutilized or not, he isn't and NEVER will be a "borderline" allstar talent.  Damian Lliard is a borderline allstar talent.  Rudy Gay is a borderline allstar talent.  Terrence Jones, not a borderline anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users