Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (24 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) we don't deserve a playoff spot. this is an awful basketball team.
@  majik19 : (24 March 2016 - 02:43 AM) major loss for playoffs...
@  majik19 : (23 March 2016 - 02:44 AM) fitting that they lost on a dumb turnover.
@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...

Photo

San Antonio Spurs 130, Houston Rockets 99: Reality

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:54 AM

New post: San Antonio Spurs 130, Houston Rockets 99: Reality
    By: Forrest Walker

The Houston Rockets are nowhere near the San Antonio Spurs. Whatever sorcery caused the Rockets to prevail on Christmas has worn off and the Spurs have simply dominated the last two times these teams have met. The Spurs are simply in a different league from the Houston Rockets, and the Spurs aren't even title favorites. The Rockets had found some semblance of flow lately, but when the rent is due, being in a better mental place doesn't pay the bills. The Spurs were frustrated and grumpy, the Rockets were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the Rockets got their requisite national TV shaming.

The only thing to take away from this game is that it reminded the Rockets of what we already knew: the Rockets aren't a contender. Not even close. They probably wouldn't be one in most years, and in this year, there are two separate tiers above contender. The Spurs are a supercontender and the Golden State Warriors are some kind of hypercontender. These two teams have pulled tight the curve everyone has been graded on, and the Rockets are falling off that chart.

How did the game go? Well it ended after 48 minutes and nobody got hurt. As for the bad news...

The Rockets were down by double digits while shooting 57% from the field. Then they fell to 38% on the night. They hit 8-30 three pointers, and Jason Terry's 3-7, which was garbage time fodder, was second to Ariza's 2-4. They missed 17 of their 52 free throws. Josh Smith took more shots than James Harden. The Spurs hit over half of their threes, and Danny Green finally found his shooting stroke.

One game doesn't mean much in the regular season. A pattern of games, a months-long arc of futility, however, can find more points to help trace that arc. The return of Josh Smith had brought happy feelings and heads in the clouds. We all knew that the Rockets had to lose in spectacular fashion sooner or later, and here it is. The Rockets have a tremendous path ahead of them, and evenings like this serve as a reminder to them how much ground they have to make up.

There aren't any pleasant takeaways from this game, so the Rockets will simply have to create better tidings for the next game. Thankfully for them, the next game is against the Oklahoma City Thunder, a team which in any reasonable year would be a title contender. This year, however, 28 teams are in a struggle against each other and their inner demons to see who can come up with the bronze. The Rockets have fallen from the throne they thought they belonged on, but the good news is that there are a pile of other pretenders they can fall upon.

Doses of reality always taste bad, but you have to swallow them if you want to get better.

#2 majik19

majik19

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 402 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

The Spurs just made it look so easy. I watched (almost) the whole game, and it felt like the NBA allstar team beating a regular team. Offensively they seemed to get whatever they wanted, while defensively they closed out on our shooters and we couldn't even hit when we were open. 

Now the real question - in a year of super contenders, does it make sense to sell? Trade Lawson, trade Jones, trade Brewer if anyone will take him... Maybe even look at deals for Ariza and Beverley. I feel like, in this year's Western Conference, we probably still make the playoffs without those guys. Play McDaniels, play Capela, play Harrell, play Dekker (if he can at the end of the year) and see what we have with those guys. 

Otherwise, we're just hoping Leonard and Curry get hurt - otherwise, the Western Conference is closed. 

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 402 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

I like how JB put it: "They played a beautiful game of basketball and we watched it,” interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff said."

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,390 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

I like how JB put it: "They played a beautiful game of basketball and we watched it,” interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff said."

That sums it up pretty well.

On the positive side, it seemed like the team (Harden in particular) made an effort to get the ball up court faster.  Maybe they read my complaint  :lol: .

On the negative side.  We stink on both sides of the ball.

On defense, the lack of fundamentally sound play is just unacceptable for a pro sports team.

On offense, I'm not sure I ever saw more than 2 people moving at the same time the entire game.  Ugh.

We shot 52 free throws!!!  Outside of Capela's 3-10 we went 32-42 and only Ariza, Lawson, and Smith went 2-4...nobody else missed more than 1.  And we were still down 20 at half, 29 after 3, and 31 by game's end.  That's 35 points on 26 possessions which equals 1.35 ppp on roughly 1/4 of the games total possessions.  That is how bad the rest of our offense was.  We averaged .88 ppp excluding free throws.  If you add in the 15 turnovers it drops to .73 ppp.  Not very good.

Strangely, Dwight was at 1.18 ppp (including his 2 turnovers) and we mostly ignored him all night.  Even Van Gundy was puzzled as he watched the Rockets fall apart before his eyes.

One last note.  I am 100% officially done with Ty Lawson.  I would rather have almost any other PG in the entire league...I can't think of one I wouldn't swap him for.  Think about all the discount PG's we have had recently....Ish Smith, Toney Douglas, Canaan, Prigioni, Aaron Brooks, and even Jeremy Lin (who is playing for $2M/year) would all be miles better.

Heck, San Antonio's 3rd stringer (Ray McCallum) posted 8 pts and 3 assists in 10 minutes versus the 26 minutes it took Lawson to get 2 pts and 2 assists.  Ty, we'd like your $12M salary back.

Speaking of, I would very much like to see James Harden decline his All-Star invitation (assuming he gets it).  I think it would show a lot of leadership and trickle down to the rest of the team if he said, "No thanks.  I don't deserve that spot.  I need to be a better player before I am an All-Star again".  It'll never happen, but it should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users