Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (24 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) we don't deserve a playoff spot. this is an awful basketball team.
@  majik19 : (24 March 2016 - 02:43 AM) major loss for playoffs...
@  majik19 : (23 March 2016 - 02:44 AM) fitting that they lost on a dumb turnover.
@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...

Photo

Coaching Change

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

And back to topic... Jeff Hornacek is available. Thoughts?

I think he had mismatched parts in Phoenix - the talent upgrade in Houston would immediately make him a better coach, in my opinion. 

I think if we were going with a re-tread NBA coach, Hornacek would be my pick. 

#42 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,390 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

And back to topic... Jeff Hornacek is available. Thoughts?

I think he had mismatched parts in Phoenix - the talent upgrade in Houston would immediately make him a better coach, in my opinion. 

I think if we were going with a re-tread NBA coach, Hornacek would be my pick. 

I wouldn't hate that....might even like it.  Honestly, I don't know much about his coaching style/philosophy.  What does he bring to the table?

#43 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,264 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

I wouldn't hate that....might even like it.  Honestly, I don't know much about his coaching style/philosophy.  What does he bring to the table?

With Phoenix he installed a system with two PGs on the floor at the same time. The year they almost made the playoffs they had Bledsoe and Dragic on the court for a high proportion of their minutes, which was and still is a fairly unique look. They ran a lot of pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop, and it worked really well because they had Channing Frye available to play the 5. His ability to shoot the three sucked defenders out of the lane and made it a lot easier for the two PGs to get to the rim.

In theory, that sounds like the sort of system that could work well in Houston. Within that framework you might even be able to put Lawson and Harden on the court together! We lack a true threat to shoot the three from the Centre position, but maybe you could use D-Mo to fulfil that purpose in small lineups if his shot gets a bit more consistent. And anything that gets Howard rolling to the rim more would be welcomed - he's still pretty devastating when he actually does it.

After that miracle season the Suns had some problems. I think some of those stemmed from [a] letting Channing Frye leave (he got a big contract from Orlando, but he was so important to the Suns' success that I would have paid over the odds to keep him), and [b] unsettling Dragic by bringing in Isaiah Thomas. It is perhaps worth asking whether Hornacek could have held things together any better than he did - it seems as though the three PG rotation did not go down well (although I don't know how he could have managed it without angering at least one of his three PGs). And his system hasn't run as well in recent years with a traditional centre on the court - neither Plumlee, nor Len nor Chandler has really found success there. Since we have two traditional centres on the roster, that's perhaps a point of concern.

Overall, I think he did a great job, at least initially, at coming up with a system that maximised his roster's potential. I think we'd need to see him in a different context before being able to evaluate whether he could do that consistently though. And there are questions about whether he is able to keep his players' egos in check, which might be a problem here.

ST

#44 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,390 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

Thanks!  Got any thoughts on his defense?

#45 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,264 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:48 PM

Coach Nick mostly agrees with me, which is gratifying :). That video contains a few minutes on the defence near the end, mostly talking about how it has collapsed this year. The Suns were around average for the first two years of Hornacek's tenure - possibly in part because they were trying to use spacing at the 5 spot instead of rim protection. I didn't really watch enough of them to get an idea of whether or not they were doing anything fancy on that end, probably not though. I'm sure with the right coaching staff he could put together a reasonable defence, but it's not the thing that earned him praise when he started the job.

ST

#46 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,390 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

Coach Nick mostly agrees with me, which is gratifying :). That video contains a few minutes on the defence near the end, mostly talking about how it has collapsed this year. The Suns were around average for the first two years of Hornacek's tenure - possibly in part because they were trying to use spacing at the 5 spot instead of rim protection. I didn't really watch enough of them to get an idea of whether or not they were doing anything fancy on that end, probably not though. I'm sure with the right coaching staff he could put together a reasonable defence, but it's not the thing that earned him praise when he started the job.

ST

That was pretty insightful (gotta love Coach Nick!).  Seems like he was a victim of an over-active GM more than anything else.  Maybe he had some say in moving those players, but I would guess that most of it was the GM.

I would assume that having spent most of his career under Jerry Sloan he picked up some of his traits and might be more dogmatic than some players can handle...then again, maybe he better appreciates how to tap the brakes on that...hard to say.  I would also assume that having watched Stockton-Malone pick'n'rolls dominate the league for what seemed like forever, he would want to make that a strong point of the offense.  Harden certainly can do that, but I am afraid Dwight's lack of shooting hurts the overall success of that play.

Watch the beauty of simplicity...

It was Malone's mid-range shot that really made that work.  Even when teams defended the play well Malone would just settle back and calmly knock down jumper after jumper.  As Houston fans, we are all too aware of this--sorry to dredge up bad memories.   :(

We definitely do not have a guy like that on the roster.  I think if we bring in Hornacek we would want to get one.  It doesn't have to be a future HOF-er like Malone.  I really like Aaron Gordon in Orlando.  He's still quite raw, but he fits the mold.  He's got range out to 3, good handles, can dish, and the kind of athleticism people dream of.  He's shown some decent defensive chops.  He's even got a decent mid-range (shoots 44%).  I'd love to see Morey pry him away from Orlando which doesn't seem to understand how to use a talent like that.  At 20 years old he's still got tons of room to grow and develop.

Myles Turner is another one, but right now Indiana isn't moving him for less than a star player.

As far as stretch 5's go....Portland doesn't seem as enamored with Meyers Leonard as I thought they would be this year.  Maybe it's his defense...I don't know.  Perhaps we can steal him away.  There's no arguing that a true stretch 5 would open things up a lot for Harden.

I'm getting way ahead of myself (and this season) imagining next years' team with Leonard/D-Mo, Harrison Barnes (who we sign in FA!!!), and Aaron Gordon alongside Bev and Harden.  We might be a little light on defense, but we'd make it up on the other end.  I'd let Jeff Hornacek take the reigns of that group.

#47 majik19

majik19

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 402 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

With Phoenix he installed a system with two PGs on the floor at the same time. The year they almost made the playoffs they had Bledsoe and Dragic on the court for a high proportion of their minutes, which was and still is a fairly unique look. They ran a lot of pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop, and it worked really well because they had Channing Frye available to play the 5. His ability to shoot the three sucked defenders out of the lane and made it a lot easier for the two PGs to get to the rim.

In theory, that sounds like the sort of system that could work well in Houston. Within that framework you might even be able to put Lawson and Harden on the court together! 

ST

One thing to keep in mind, however - Bledsoe is a good defender, whereas Harden and Lawson or not. 

I don't think having a "true 5" on the floor hurts the ability to run that kind of offense. The real key is having guys that can actually shoot 3s. 

Edited by majik19, 03 February 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#48 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,264 posts
      • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:54 PM

One thing to keep in mind, however - Bledsoe is a good defender, whereas Harden and Lawson or not. 

I don't think having a "true 5" on the floor hurts the ability to run that kind of offense. The real key is having guys that can actually shoot 3s. 

It's a question of whether the 3PT% causes the spacing or is caused by it. Were Bledsoe and Dragic's shooting numbers enhanced by the system, or did the system work because they are good shooters? It's a big correlation vs causation type question.

ST

#49 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,390 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

It's a question of whether the 3PT% causes the spacing or is caused by it. Were Bledsoe and Dragic's shooting numbers enhanced by the system, or did the system work because they are good shooters? It's a big correlation vs causation type question.

ST

This sounds like the nature vs. nurture argument where people seem to want it to be one or the other--never both.  I tend to believe each bring something to the table in most cases.  It seems to me one of the main functions of the coach is to identify his players' strengths and then, through strategy, maximize them.  

#50 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,211 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

This sounds like the nature vs. nurture argument where people seem to want it to be one or the other--never both.  I tend to believe each bring something to the table in most cases.  It seems to me one of the main functions of the coach is to identify his players' strengths and then, through strategy, maximize them.  

I second that JG. I see we want the same thing in a coach.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#51 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 402 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

So Derek Fisher anyone?

kidding... at least it's obvious JB won't be our coach next year. 

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,390 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

The NBA is a coaching carousel.  Whoever is coaching us next season, I'd like for them to stick around for a while.

There are only 3 coaches who have been with their team longer than 5 years. (Pop, Spoelstra, and Carlisle)

Vogel and Dwayne Casey are in their 5th year.

Wittman and Stotts are in their 4th year.

Then you have 6 guys in their 3rd year: Brett Brown, Budenholzer, Clifford, Joerger, Rivers, and Stevens.

Everyone else is 2 years or less.

That is only 7 coaches with any semblance of tenure.  Ridiculous.

#53 slick shoes

slick shoes

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 505 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

The NBA is a coaching carousel.  Whoever is coaching us next season, I'd like for them to stick around for a while.

There are only 3 coaches who have been with their team longer than 5 years. (Pop, Spoelstra, and Carlisle)

Vogel and Dwayne Casey are in their 5th year.

Wittman and Stotts are in their 4th year.

Then you have 6 guys in their 3rd year: Brett Brown, Budenholzer, Clifford, Joerger, Rivers, and Stevens.

Everyone else is 2 years or less.

That is only 7 coaches with any semblance of tenure.  Ridiculous.

I think its a combination of a "changing of the guard" in which most of the older coaches are retiring after being fired and an increase in owner impatience. More and more business men are buying teams and expect the same success that they had in the business world. Granted, I've never done either, but I'd imagine that building a basketball team is slightly different than building a fortune 500 company. Coaches also have many more post coaching career options now than before. 

Edited by slick shoes, 09 February 2016 - 01:14 PM.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#54 slick shoes

slick shoes

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 505 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

George Karl, anyone? 

#55 slick shoes

slick shoes

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 505 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

George Karl, anyone? 

.....nevermind?

#56 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 416 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

It all started with Dwill and Jerry Sloan.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users