Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (24 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) we don't deserve a playoff spot. this is an awful basketball team.
@  majik19 : (24 March 2016 - 02:43 AM) major loss for playoffs...
@  majik19 : (23 March 2016 - 02:44 AM) fitting that they lost on a dumb turnover.
@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...

Photo

Coaching Change

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,390 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

@Jatman

You make some good points, but mostly it just seems you are biased towards one versus the other.  The Warriors most definitely employ a Princeton-style offense.  What you aren't seeming to understand from my posts is I am not calling for THE Princeton Offense.  I am not calling for Princeton Offense on every offensive set.  A hybrid of this is what teams are using (quite successfully) these days.

I am aware that you don't just flip a switch and suddenly everyone can run the Princeton Offense.  Once again, I was pretty clear about this in regards to the Rockets.  If we were to bring in Blatt he would need a strong voice in who we draft, trade for, and develop.  Dwight would have to go.  Brewer, Jones, and possibly Harden too if he isn't on board with the program.  It would take time.

But look at the results.  You have to remember, most NBA players are not being properly coached from a young age all the way until the NBA.  Look at the players SA and GS employ.  Lots of well-coached guys.  Players with proper team-oriented fundamentals.  Players who are smart.  Players who fit their system and subsequently look better on the court than people thought they would.  Draymond Green freely admits it.  He was asked point blank about being a product of his coach's system and said, "definitely".

Draymond Green on the Rockets could very well look a lot like Terrence Jones (with better defense).

My point is, running a sophisticated system against players who are largely uncoached, have ingrained bad habits, and, I'm sorry to say, simply lack enough intelligence will more often than not produce the kind of results you see when SA, GS, and the like employ it.

Yes, the offense can burn some clock.  I will once again point to GS and SA who seem to have no trouble with this.  If run properly, there is plenty of time.  If run by Harden not so much since he can't get from the baseline to the 3 pt. line in less than 12 seconds.

Golden State against San Antonio finished most of their fast breaks at the rim.  They don't just sit back and jack 80 3's per game.  The low fg%-high volume can equal success is dependent on 4 things: hitting 3's, getting lots of rebounds, having a solid bench, and playing strong defense.  The Rockets set the bar earlier this season for showing how quickly that can fall apart.

I don't understand why you can't allow for a pace-and space offense built around Princeton dynamics....that's all I'm looking for here.  I'm not saying slow the game down.  I'm not saying stop shooting threes.  I'm saying open your eyes people.  Look at what the better teams and better coaches are doing.  Analytics are great, but don't let the numbers blind you from what is actually happening out there.

Saying the Princeton can't work because teams will learn your spots...sure, I suppose you can say that.  If you ignore that our current offense is so predictable teams are rotating before passes are made.  Our version of "read and react" sucks because most of our guys aren't smart enough (or quick enough) to make the reads or reactions.  It is also easily snuffed out because it is predicated on the defense over-playing one way or the other to make the reads obvious and reactions easy.  What happens when the defense is disciplined and doesn't do this?  Bad things.

A motion offense forces the defense to move whether they want to or not.  It forces defenders to move their eyes around so much they lose track of what's going on.  Is it perfect?  No.  Would implementing a system with these principles make our analytic based pace and space, 3 and rim offense more efficient?  I don't see how it wouldn't.

Check this out (more from Coach Nick!)

Take note, this analysis was done in Oct. of 2014 shortly after Kerr's arrival.  They have added much more since then.  Heck, they had evolved by season's end.  Check out this video from just before last year's finals against the Cavs.

And finally, the Monday night dismantling of San Antonio.  Everything is on display.  They run so many different sets and plays that defenses have no idea what is coming.  Plus, they have plays ready to go if the first one gets stifled.  Add to that good, confident shooters, good passing, and near constant movement.  Guys never know if their man is about to set a screen or make a cut.  They shoot just enough threes to turn everyone's eyes from the rim...where someone is always cutting.  They actually score a ton of points at the rim.  They don't run THE Princeton Offense, but they certainly don't do much standing around and everything is done with intention.  GS had 52 points in the paint in this game.  

https://youtu.be/YhnujmIvE0M

(LINK because video won't post for some reason)

Remember this the next time we're watching the Rockets take 20+ seconds to set one lazy screen while 3 guys stand around watching.

Any offensive system, if run singularly for long enough, can be shut down by an opposing defense.  Golden State just gives teams too much to handle--and that's the point.  You try to stop the three point barrage, but they always have a guy open near the rim if you do and everyone can get a pass to him.  You try to stop dribble penetration, but there is always a guy cutting in for a drop off pass.  You try to stop the screens, and they roll off towards the rim.  No matter what you do they are going to get a shot from deep, a shot near the rim, or a nice mid-range freebie.

The Rockets, on the other hand, live and die by the whistle.  We are 7-13 when Harden takes 9 or fewer free throws.  We are 18-9 when he gets 10+.  It would be better than this, but our offense produces low percentage looks and our defense has been very poor.

#22 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:01 AM

I understand johnnygold. From everywhere I have read about the Princeton offense is it really strives with a center that can dribble, pass and shoot. Brad Miller and Cris Weber fit the bill for the dear Mr. Adelman. Yao Ming could pass and shoot......but dribble is questionable. I often saw Yao dribble once or twice from 3 point land and be at the rim (nice being 7'6" and covering so much ground). Scola could do it all while playing the center. But if you see D12 in that role....??? I don't see it. Dwight doesn't pass well, doesn't shoot for any distance, and can't dribble worth a hoot. Not sure I see much Princeton offense in the Warriors scheme.....Rockets run the usual mid screens, iso's, post ups, weaves, PnR's.....all can have a back door cut here or there. I see the Warriors running the same stuff. Thing I don't like is when you set screen-sets "much" of the time.....you are bringing guys within that 3 point line territory (taking a guy or two away from being a three point threat). Yes in theory you can take a play or two from that scheme and from the Triangle. Keep in mind some plays/formations help set up another action out of that formation. So like the chips, sometimes you can't just use one (play). If you are suggesting moving on from D12 to run "some" of that scheme......fine let's try it. D-Mo can do the Brad Miller thing. Again a play or two.....yes we are in agreement. Entire scheme, I will repeat......no team has won a championship with the Princeton offense. In college it exploits kids playing in a zone defense that let their guard down on those back door cuts. In the NBA man to man those back door cuts may be a little more difficult to come by. Especially in the playoffs against the good teams. Morey preaches Space and pace.....often quoted for saying he would rather the Rockets take a contested 3 vs an uncontested long 2. Benefits out way the risks. D12 post up's (form of iso) & Harden iso's slow the pace of the game; but Harden can speed things up.

Craig Ackerman
    Craig Ackerman – ‏@ca_rockets

In the 3 games w/o D12 HOU avg 42 3fga & shot 39%. NEED him vs SA since Spurs are #1 in opp 3fga (19/G). HOU has avg 18.5 3fga vs SA this yr
    12:45 PM - 27 Jan 2016

Sorry I copied and pasted a tweet from Ackerman.....it never works for me thru my iPad. I can't figure the editing of it. * note the 42 3fa's
    The gentleman who wrote the article, "Rockets system is not broke, it doesn't exist", something to that nature....made the excellent point that the offensive numbers were equal from last year to this year. Taking out the big's for 8 min stretches per half coupled with one more good 3 point shooter in lace of Brewer could improve our point totals per game to 110-112. The 3 point shooters will allow Harden and D12 room to operate and improve offensive efficiency. Defense remains the problem. Good discussion....I think we agree on much and are not far apart on others. Other viewers feel free to chime in.

The basketball court can be viewed as a chess board or battlefield. D12 works the post (infantry) Harden attacks with penetration drives (horsemen or tanks) and your 3 point shooters are your archers/artillery. Good artillery makes you a deadlier force.

Edited by Jatman20, 28 January 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#23 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,211 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:03 AM

@JG, Jatman20

good discussion...............JG I get what your saying. while most of these offenses run today aren't called Princeton there is no doubt they employ many of the same principles. I'm like you............I don't care what you call it, but we need to get some people moving around :lol: I totally agree that the read and react offense doesn't fit the talent on this roster. whether that be from basketball IQ or lack of ability it ain't working. Jatman20....as you stated above you do agree on most points, however the point I got from you is you are looking at the strict by the book Princeton offense where JG IMO seems to be calling for some variation motion offense based of some basic principles contain in the Princeton (correct me if I'm wrong). it doesn't have to be our bread and butter, yet we can still steal certain sets from it and incorporate it within a system tailor made for the talent on this roster. there appears to be a real need for change in our offensive mindset. that's one reason I want a strong willed coach. we must allow him the power to remake us. we have a stockpile of talent on an individual level yet the staff we have seems unable to assemble a reasonable looking team from it. I agree JG..........we do not play fundamentally sound basketball. our next coach has to be a teacher. we have some really bad habits that must be resolved.

Edited by rockets best fan, 29 January 2016 - 02:07 AM.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#24 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 312 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:59 AM

@Rockets best fan....yes, when you google pros and cons of Princeton offense you often get opinions that it's hard to take just snippets of the scheme. Saw several times where it was compared to the triple option in football. Once it's figured out....you are left with little options. I'm guessing there can be some variations. This leads to the greater picture.....the seeing the forest beyond the trees. Morey and his vision of shots at rim or 3 pointers. NO MID-RANGE shots!! Look at set plays as drawn on a clip board.......now envision all those players located in the mid-range position as non shooting threats. Teams are telling themselves to guard the 3 point shooter and the rim......those guys not named Harden aren't allowed to shoot
      a mid-range. I agree with Mr. Li in his article, that our offense scores enough points to win most games. I'm not giving up on Moreys plan just yet.
      I know it's blasphemy to say anything negative about Morey; I use to worship at the alter of Morey. He kind of lost me when he went after LMA after striking out on Melo and Bosh and LeBron. Rockets have missed out on some good role players in my opinion over the years. Rockets Pace has dropped to 22nd in the league. I don't have a problem with Iso and PnR's (PnPops leave a shooter in mid range). According to NBA.com/Stats Harden runs iso at a frequency of 27.6% of the time. That's about a quarter of the game.....not 90%. During his Iso trips he is 0.93 ppp. Now
      Howard is 28.2% frequency at 0.85 ppp. As a Roll man in the PnR Howard is at a frequency of 11.8% with a 1.11 ppp. I think the post ups are necessary; but would like the frequency from Howard to be reversed......about 15% frequency with post ups and 20% as a roll man.

This is more or less a vote or poll for who we favor. I still haven't wavered from Brooks and his experience dealing with two superstars (egos) in a very similar offense. His record is 338-207 (W-L) .620. Injuries to Westbrook derailed their season one year leaving K Martin and Durant to do everything while Perkins and Ibaka disappeared. Next season Durant got injured. Last season Durant only played 27 games and then Ibaka got injured.....missing the playoffs. They have a lot of talent on that team this year; not the fault of Brooks anymore.........its Donavon's baby now. Gentry is a good coach; but it's hard to win with injuries (see the Pels this year). Asik, Tyreke, Gordon and Holiday have all missed stretches of time this year. I guess I would just go the rest of the season with JBB. I've seen Kubiak and Jason Garrett go many years learning to manage the clock and substitutions while coaching in Texas......I guess I can watch JBB go thru his lumps as well. I do like how he is playing TJ and Lawson less. To me TJ has been auditioning for the PF job on a future team. IMO he wants no part of being a stretch 4 anymore.....which brought traffic to the paint all year for Harden and Howard. I give JBB credit for taking the bull by the horns on that. I'm sure TJ's agent is calling everyday demanding more playing time for his client. I will shout up now. I look forward to seeing everyone's take on who they prefer to coach this team.

Edited by Jatman20, 29 January 2016 - 05:07 AM.

#25 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,211 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:34 AM

@Jatman20

while I do believe Brooks has a very good chance of becoming our next coach, I'm not excited by it. he would likely run some variation of the garbage we run now and to me that's unacceptable. the read and react offense fails here because some of our players are not good decision makers and our team overall is not a good passing team. we overcame some of those issues last year, however IMO this offense doesn't use the talent we have properly. we are asking some players to do things that are not natural to them. I believe they will fair far better in a more structured offense that doesn't require as much thinking while the play develops. I don't think that the bad decision making is only on players like TJ. I think Harden is chief among them. I believe too much of our offense runs through Harden. Yes he is the alpha dog here, but not the only dog. that's why when ever he's having an off night our chances of winning fall dramatically. we don't know how to run plays that we can depend on that don't involve him. if we can't get out on the break I swear our offensive playbook looks like we only have about 3 plays. we look more like 5 guys at the park than an NBA offense. we need a coach who can change that. one who can milk Harden's talents within the flow of a structured team offense. I disagree on the point we don't have a offensive problem. our offense is GARBAGE. Yes.....the defense stinks, however addressing our defensive shortcomings while overlooking our offensive shortcomings can only help us so much. IMO we must overhaul both sides of the ball

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#26 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,390 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:06 PM

I agree that Dwight will most likely have to go in order to implement any sort of complex offensive system--both because he lacks skills and I also do not think he's got the brains for it.  Just my opinion.  Like I said before, D-Mo would be a stud in a system like that (positive thoughts for your back to get healthy  :wub: ).

I watched part of the Bulls game last night and Pau Gasol is still an amazing offensive player.  I know he has been putting up solid numbers, but I haven't really seen him play recently.  He is still so good.  Great vision, can collapse the defense by himself.  Can create for himself.  (Part of me wishes that deal had gone through for Chris Paul.)  The Cavs should have gone after Pau instead of Love....maybe they did?

I am ready for a major overhaul of this team.  I saw that JBB came to Harden's defense recently about the public perception of his bad defense.  You can see it on Red94's Twitter page.  I have two problems with this.  First, we know it's a scheme problem and that's on you, JB.  Harden in space is useless and the entire concept is bad.  It only works for an occasional steal and when the other team misses the wide open shot they always get.  Second, that's not what people talk about when they get on James for his bad defense.  It's the gambling for steals that let's his man blow by him.  It's the lack of court awareness.  It's the I-don't-want-to-pick-up-a-foul-so-I'll-just-let-this-guy-score-while-making-it-look-like-I-tried-a-little-but-really-didn't-at-all crap that makes us crazy.  It's the jogging back on a fast break and being one-step too late to contest a corner three that swishes.  It's so, so much.

I'm tired of our $17M team leader who is too good to hustle, too good to commit a foul, and seems to honestly believe that he's doing enough on both ends.  You know what that says when you read between the lines?  It's not me, it's my teammates that are the problem.

Most recent quote from James?

"I just go out there and do my job every night. I go out there and control what I can control." —James Harden

Good to know, James.  Apparently, you believe you can't control how fast you run, decision-making, keeping track of your man, hitting guys in the numbers with a pass, clock management, or having the stamina to play both ends of the court at 100% effort.  I would disagree, but you know you better than me.

Sorry, I don't mean to swing this conversation, but he has exhausted my patience.

I'd like this organization to find a coach that will create dynamic offensive and defensive schemes and then draft/recruit the kind of players who will excel in that system regardless of "star" labels.  Give me a healthy Pau, D-Mo, Middleton, Redick, and George Hill.  (Does Pau count as a star?  I don't think he does).  Give that team a system and watch them roll.  If we can find a star that fits the system then go for it.

I don't think Brooks will take us in that direction.  I have no doubt David Blatt will be head coach of an NBA team next season.  I'd like it to be for Houston.  Even if it means moving on from Dwight.  

#27 slick shoes

slick shoes

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 505 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:57 PM

I've seen various members post in various threads regarding the offensive problem vs. defensive problem in our current system. Two seasons ago, I became a firm believer in the "over 100 rule". According to this rule, the Rockets' game outcomes favor us SIGNIFICANTLY if we can score 100 or more points a night and have tracked our games this season and I think the record bears out. 

This season if the Rockets Score 100 or more points, we are 23-11. If our opponent scores over 100 points, we are 14-21. If the Rockets score less than 100 points, we are 2-12. Finally, when our opponent scores less than 100 points, we are 11-2.

My interpretation of these statistics is that offense is not our problem. We need to put much more effort on the defensive end, and the wins should come. I know this is just a reiteration of what most of you have been saying thus far, but I thought some statistical data backing up these statements might be of use. 

EDIT: I know this doesn't really have to do with the current discussion, but there wasn't really a better option from the threads available.

Edited by slick shoes, 29 January 2016 - 09:58 PM.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,390 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:29 AM

I've seen various members post in various threads regarding the offensive problem vs. defensive problem in our current system. Two seasons ago, I became a firm believer in the "over 100 rule". According to this rule, the Rockets' game outcomes favor us SIGNIFICANTLY if we can score 100 or more points a night and have tracked our games this season and I think the record bears out. 

This season if the Rockets Score 100 or more points, we are 23-11. If our opponent scores over 100 points, we are 14-21. If the Rockets score less than 100 points, we are 2-12. Finally, when our opponent scores less than 100 points, we are 11-2.

My interpretation of these statistics is that offense is not our problem. We need to put much more effort on the defensive end, and the wins should come. I know this is just a reiteration of what most of you have been saying thus far, but I thought some statistical data backing up these statements might be of use. 

EDIT: I know this doesn't really have to do with the current discussion, but there wasn't really a better option from the threads available.

It's cool....this is kind of an all-encompassing thread right now.  In a way it is a lot like the Rockets....lacking focus.

I was drawn to NBA.com's fancy stats page and they have distance/speed tracking.  It's pretty neat.  LINK

They have total, offensive, and defensive data sets.

It was not surprising to find out James Harden has the slowest average speed on defense for our entire team.  Even Dwight manages to move a little faster than Harden.  (Note: the averages include standing, walking, sprinting, and jogging).

On offense, only Dwight and Josh Smith have slower rates (just barely and Smith's includes his time in LA).

Maybe it's pointless, out-of-context data.  Maybe Harden shouldn't complain about being tired moving a total of 2.37 miles over the course of 2.5 hours.  It's called conditioning James.  Time to hit the track.

#29 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 312 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:40 AM

@RocketsBestFan....I understand what you are saying. Brooks is a guy that comes in and runs things the way he ran them in OKC. He would need to adjust his scheme to elminate mid-court shots. Any other coach is a re-build during the season due to no practice time. I have indicated that Harden iso freq is about 27% and Howard post ups are about 29% (NBA.com/Stats....not mine) so that's about 56% of an offense. Which means other guys are doing the same plays or other plays for about 44% of he time. I identified some of the sets the Rockets run....Horns, mid screens, PnR, post ups (post and 4 out), weave (I saw us use this during Spurs game near the 3 point line)....picket fence on in-bounds. To say we don't run sets is wrong. The debate is Postups today vs yesteryear. Posting up is a struggle now-a-days.....some say it's because of the 3 point line which has big men practicing long distance shooting vs improving postup skills. I disagree with that notion. Marc Gasol, Okafor, Z-Bo, Duncan, Lopez, Aldridge all could postup during the days of Olajuwon, Ewing, Shaquille, Barkley, Mailman. Defensive help is better now-a-days. Pop had Duncan sitting next to him (in a recent game) to scheme how to attack the Warriors by watching Aldridge try his best. I've been here saying that the Warriors swarm on post players trying to postup by knocking the ball off the post mans shins causing TO's and then running and gunning. So Pops is trying to see the angles that they take and where best to put Duncan and Aldridge in the playoffs. They will be relegated to playmakers from the free throw line and spot shooters from there as well.
        Blake sits out and the Clippers started winning consistently. Postups are a mistake. During MJ's day players were on an island defensively....they would joke with each other. Who do you have tonight? Well MJ's playing tonight. Oh it's going to be a long night for you!!! If you watch a replay of MJ along the baseline where he has a dunk cut off, then reverses and acts like he is going to pull out, then reverses and spins again along the baseline for a monster dunk (think it was vs the Pistons or Knicks). Guys came to help out defensively; but that was the extent of the rotation. Now guys are ready to rotate even further and pick up guys left open and then again. What I'm saying is D12 posting up is futile to the amount he wants.
        I still want to do Postups to change the angle of ball possession for defenses to look at....just at a lesser amount. D12 pouts if is not large substantial
        amount. Then he doesn't run the court well and play defense as well as he can. I'm sure people disagree with me. Morey went with JBB because he will toe the company line and not run sets allowing guys to shoot mid-range shots. Morey has his stats, but where I think he has failed is in not obtaining decent 3 point shooters across the board. Pops has had decent shooters like Bellineli, Gary Neal, Leonard, Bonner, Diaw, D Green, George Hill, Ginoblli, Parker, ??Mills?? to compliment the drives and postup games of Duncan and Parker. The Warriors have 40 % 3p shooters across the board to run any scheme (offensive). Lawson, Brewer, TJ (not shooting 3's), D-Mo injured, KJ are not consistent enough. I need to correct myself from yesterday....I looked at Pace today and we are 6th in the league (maybe that changes that drastically from game to game by teams??)
        and a week ago the Rockets I believe we're 4th in points. Defense is the Problem.....but I would like 3 point shooters to compliment D12 and Harden (Morey's master plan) before we trash Morey and his scheme. My wish would be to obtain Avery Bradley and Aminu (not proven for year in 3 p shooting, but defense is stellar)......guys that can guard multiple positions defensively while being able to hit some three's. Reports last month was the Cavs (LeBron) were shopping Mosgov. High on there list was to obtain Ariza. Tristan/LeBron/Ariza/JR Smith or Shumpert/Irving vs Warriors Lineup of death. Or LeBron/Ariza/Shumpert/JR Smith/Irving vs the lineup of death. 5 guys that can pick up the Pace and each hit 3's. Richard Jefferson wasn't cutting it. It's all a matter of perspective.....most here think motion offense is the way, while I say the, "easy to defend iso" has us with the ??4th?? most points per game and one of the most efficient offenses in the league....and that's without our stretch 4 and another wing shooter that can hit 3's consistently. We went far in last years playoffs because D12 allowed us to run PnR to a greater amount. I don't have the stats.....but I'm willing to guess they were higher for D12.

Edited by Jatman20, 30 January 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#30 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 312 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

Just looked up the stats (prior to Thunder game tonight): Rockets Offense: Pace 8th....Off Rtg 7th......Off Eff 7th (iso is easy to defend).....
          Pt's/game 4th (iso is easy to defend)........eFG% 7th (Cavs 6th.....two iso heavy teams). Strange to me how D12 runs more frequency % of post ups vs Harden's iso's frequency %........and few complain of Howards game. So we have some offensive stats that are in the top ten.....without the 3 point shooters I request. I'm sticking with it. Those that address me, I will comment or reply (if I come back to this article). Good discussion. I'm sounding off for the most part. Keep the thread going.

#31 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,390 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

Our offensive rating is bolstered by our absurd free throw rate.  Per game, we average 20 points on 15 possessions on free throws , 30 points on 30 possessions on threes, and 52 points on 26 possessions the rest of the time.

If we look solely at ISO scoring for Harden at NBA.com's site it brings some light to what we're talking about.  Remember, the name of the game is efficiency.

Harden leads the league in ISO plays at 380.  Next player is Melo with 249.

Harden leads the league in % of total plays that are ISO at 27.8%.  Melo is next at 25.8% followed by Josh Smith at 23.2%.

The problem is Harden is shooting 37.8% on ISO plays.  Even after adding in his ridiculous foul drawing abilities he is at .94 ppp.  This is part of what makes Josh Smith work so well for us.  He has a 59.4 eFG% on ISO plays for 1.19 ppp.  He also doesn't turn the ball over very often in ISO.

James Harden currently ranks in the 68.5 percentile for ISO plays in the league.  He scores 42% of the time from ISO sets (meaning the team gets at least 1 point).

Now, in transition Harden is second only to Westbrook in total plays in transition.  He has a 57.0 eFG% and earns 1.09 ppp.  This is looking much better....oh, wait a minute.  That eFG% isn't so great once you start stacking it up next to other players.

Harden -      57.0%

Westbrook - 62.7%

Curry -         67.6%

James -       73.3%

Durant -       74.6%

Klay T. -       67.6%

There's loads more.  All of this is high volume stuff due to Harden's very high USG rate.  Turns out Harden ranks in the 46.1 percentile for transition scoring.  That's not good.

Yes, our defense is the main problem--I think we all agree there--however, I don't think the offense is as good as advertised and I do think it has fundamental flaws.

When Josh Smith was running the "point" against OKC and Harden was off the ball people were moving.  If memory serves, Harden scored on 100% of those possessions when he made a cut off the ball with Smith at the point.  It doesn't take much.  I think we could improve our offensive and our defensive schemes and find ourselves back in the contender group.  Oh, and boxing out would help too. 

Harden still does pretty well in the pick n roll (88 percentile) which is about 25% of his total plays.  Harden is in the 90.8 percentile for spot up plays....sadly he only does that 8.3% of the time.

I'm not saying Harden should never ISO.  I'm saying we need more variety and better schemes.  We will get more high percentage looks and that is always a good thing.

#32 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,211 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

@JG

thank you for the breakdown of offensive stats. I'm not really a guru in that department, but I know what I'm looking at on the floor. the percentage of contested shots and offensive turnovers could probably shed ever more light on the issue. our team has been among the upper half of turnover leading teams for a number of years now. how much must we see before we realize that we are asking a bad passing and bad decision making team to execute a offense that requires good decision making and at least decent passing. YES we need better 3 point shooters, but that is only a fraction of the problem. we don't get high quality looks unless we are out on the break. this team doesn't generate quality looks in the half court. Morey has said as much himself. the problem with that is.............WHAT IS PLAYOFF BASKETBALL? ................HALF COURT BASKETBALL. teams hustle back on defense during the playoffs which usually means the percentage of fast break opportunities will decline dramatically. we must develop a half court game if we plan to have sustained success during that time of year.

if I were scouting the Rockets I would say shut down the fast break and focus the half court defense to slow Harden and you will beat them 9 outta 10 times. you take away that fast break and pile on our reckless ball handling you reduce us to a mediocre level. I have said it before and I still believe it. we have got to reduce Harden's ball handling % or we will continue to be a high turnover team. there are other ways to milk his abilities without so much ball handling. he is a heck of a talent, but his PG abilities are well below average. ask yourself this....... instead of his present title of SG if he was our PG would his assist to turnover rate be acceptable? for those of you who believe he has such high turnovers because he creates our offense I say if we don't find a more efficient means of creating offense we will NOT have sustained success.

secondly.....this team seems to believe that a contested 3 point shot is better than an uncontested 2 point shot........that's a flawed idea. we are so focus on trying to get 3 pointers we pass up opportunities in the midrange game to chuck them not realizing that more activities in the midrange area will give us more room to launch those said 3's. 3 pointers are beautiful when they fall, but when they don't we need to be able to execute a play that will generate a quality look no matter where it is on the floor. you can look it up all day........PLAYERS HIT MORE UNCONTESTED SHOTS THAN CONTESTED SHOTS NO MATTER THE AREA OF THE FLOOR.

#33 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,390 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:27 AM

@JG

thank you for the breakdown of offensive stats. I'm not really a guru in that department, but I know what I'm looking at on the floor. the percentage of contested shots and offensive turnovers could probably shed ever more light on the issue. our team has been among the upper half of turnover leading teams for a number of years now. how much must we see before we realize that we are asking a bad passing and bad decision making team to execute a offense that requires good decision making and at least decent passing. YES we need better 3 point shooters, but that is only a fraction of the problem. we don't get high quality looks unless we are out on the break. this team doesn't generate quality looks in the half court. Morey has said as much himself. the problem with that is.............WHAT IS PLAYOFF BASKETBALL? ................HALF COURT BASKETBALL. teams hustle back on defense during the playoffs which usually means the percentage of fast break opportunities will decline dramatically. we must develop a half court game if we plan to have sustained success during that time of year.

if I were scouting the Rockets I would say shut down the fast break and focus the half court defense to slow Harden and you will beat them 9 outta 10 times. you take away that fast break and pile on our reckless ball handling you reduce us to a mediocre level. I have said it before and I still believe it. we have got to reduce Harden's ball handling % or we will continue to be a high turnover team. there are other ways to milk his abilities without so much ball handling. he is a heck of a talent, but his PG abilities are well below average. ask yourself this....... instead of his present title of SG if he was our PG would his assist to turnover rate be acceptable? for those of you who believe he has such high turnovers because he creates our offense I say if we don't find a more efficient means of creating offense we will NOT have sustained success.

secondly.....this team seems to believe that a contested 3 point shot is better than an uncontested 2 point shot........that's a flawed idea. we are so focus on trying to get 3 pointers we pass up opportunities in the midrange game to chuck them not realizing that more activities in the midrange area will give us more room to launch those said 3's. 3 pointers are beautiful when they fall, but when they don't we need to be able to execute a play that will generate a quality look no matter where it is on the floor. you can look it up all day........PLAYERS HIT MORE UNCONTESTED SHOTS THAN CONTESTED SHOTS NO MATTER THE AREA OF THE FLOOR.

Amen.  You're preaching to the choir.  I brought the stats out to support what we're seeing: bad offense.

To put it in perspective even better check this out.  Earlier, I pointed out that Harden shoots 37.8% on ISO and scores 42% of the time.  Dwight Howard, on post ups, is doing better than that.  Howard scores 45.2% of the time shooting 46.1%.  That's correct.  Dwight post-ups are more successful than Harden ISO's.    Even factoring in the 3 pointers, Harden's eFG% is below Dwight's at 44.2%.

Dwight loses out on ppp at .83 to Harden's .94.  Dwight turns it over more and his free throw shooting sucks; although, I would argue that Dwight turnovers don't get converted into fast break points as often as Harden's.

The point is we pretty much all agree that Dwight post ups are not good (Even though I still believe we should do them for the positive effect it can have on his defense and the strong possibility of pinning early fouls on opposing bigs) and James Harden has found himself in Dwight's territory on the stat sheet.

The bottom line, as you said, is something needs to be done.  We saw how most of our possessions ended against OKC.  Horribly.

Now for the weirdest stat.  We have played 49 games so I split our team fg% down the middle of that.  Our bottom 25 games (ranging from 46.9% - 34.9%) have netted us a W/L of 18-7.  When we shoot between 47.3% - 57.7% our W/L record is 7-17.  Even accounting for our massive amount of 3 point shooting this is bizarre.  Aside from the 10 games at either extreme percentage-wise on 3pt shooting our record is pretty random.  Three point attempts seem to favor shooting fewer as far as wins and losses go.

Really, nothing makes sense.  We win more when we have fewer assists.  We win more when we get fewer offensive rebounds (presumably because we are making our shots).  When our turnovers are low we lose.  Lots of personal fouls...we win.  Basically, take any stat, turn it on it's head and that is what gives us wins.  Don't take my word for it.  Look for yourselves  :)  LINK

These are the Bizarro Rockets.

#34 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,211 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:51 AM

@JG

I guess we are in the minority of posters who believe we have offensive issues that need resolving. I guess the remaining posters believe it's ok for Harden to dribble 20 seconds off the 24 second shot clock and chuck a contested 3. if he hits it some believe that was a good offensive set when nothing could be further from the truth. I can't tell you how pissed I get when I see players strolling up the court like we have 2 minutes to shoot the ball. every second we waste walking it up is a second we don't have to generate a quality look. McHale's famous last words...........we must play faster and the ball got sticky. while I don't believe he was a good coach.....at least he knew what the problem was. we have been trying to execute this offense since Harden's arrival and yet we still look like a team in the beginning stages of learning this offense. if we haven't learned it by now chances are we never will. it simply doesn't fit the talent we possess. I would liken it too an army of ants trying to take down an elephant........we simply don't possess what it takes to get the job done. some point to low basketball IQ, others to lack of abilities.........I believe while we aren't the smartest team in the league we are on par with most. our problem is WE DON'T POSSESS THE ABILITY TO EXECUTE THIS OFFENSE. this offense requires high % 3 point shooters, multiple players who can create shots for themselves or others and both excellent ball handling and passing in addition to great decision making. that's a tall order for this group. however I believe if we put this same talent in a more traditional setting our results will improve dramatically. if we play to the strength of our talent we have enough to win, but only if we use what we have properly. I have said it before..........I don't care how powerful the army is....if the troops are deployed incorrectly it will fail. we have too many players out of their comfort zones. we are asking to many historically bad 3 point shooters to shoot high %'s. to many bad decision makers to make good decisions. to many bad passers to tread the needle as if they possess the abilities of CP3. the insane part is we expect them to excel at something they haven't been able to do for the vast majority of their careers. Brewer lit it up from 3 point land last year, but this year he turned back into Cory Brewer and we act surprised. it's time for massive change..........only a fool keeps doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result

#35 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 312 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Actually RocketsBestFan....I would say you echo the majority. Unfortunately what you and JG want means getting rid of (no mid-range) Morey.

Who wouldn't want a PG that averages 29.4 pt's/gm and 8.1 ast/gm? Well, since the Rockets started using more of a smaller lineup after the Cavs game....the Rockets are scoring (9 games....one being an OT) 112 points per game. Harden averaged 29.4 pts/ and 8.1 ast/ game while bringing down his TO's from 4 something down to 3 per/gm (so what that it's from the SG's position). Assist leaders as of 01/30/2016: 1) Rondo 11.9 2) 3) 4) 5) Rubio 8.6 6) Draymond 7.2......so Harden would be 6th (during smaller lineup). Fact of the matter is TJ, Lawson, Brewer, D12 (at times), D-Mo injury have sabotaged this season so far.
            Our numbers would be better for the year if not for recent events.....such as getting Josh back and moving Ariza to PF briefly. I have always said that if you get Harden some shooters his assists would go up. It takes two to tango. Jet is ok but his defense is a liability. Brewer and Josh are terrible and TJ doesn't want to shoot 3's. During this stretch (last 9 games) Ariza is 16.2 points per game while shooting 48% from 3 and Harden is shooting 46% from 3. 12 man roster and you can scratch off TJ, Lawson, Brewer (just good at jumping the passing lanes) and Jet is too old (sorry to say).
            That leaves me with 8 guys and two of them are too raw (Capela & KJ)......the others are the 3 in actives...Harrell, D-Mo and Dekker; two of which have been injured. D-Mo shot 41% from 3 in his limited time this season....hope he helps.

Some will never admit to me and others that supplying Harden with 3 point shooters would improve Harden's (and D12's) which in turn helps our Rockets game. Exchange the 3 point shooters the Spurs or Warriors have for the Rockets and you will have the unstoppable sharing offense you desire......it goes hand in hand. Now our defense will still suck if you just get me 3 point shooters that can't play defense. Defense wins championships.

*Side note*. 5 of the last 9 games were on the road and the Rockets I believe have played 5 games in the last 7 nights.

Edited by Jatman20, 31 January 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#36 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 312 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:48 AM

Sorry....meant our numbers are only better because of recent events.

#37 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,390 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

Actually RocketsBestFan....I would say you echo the majority. Unfortunately what you and JG want means getting rid of (no mid-range) Morey.

Who wouldn't want a PG that averages 29.4 pt's/gm and 8.1 ast/gm? Well, since the Rockets started using more of a smaller lineup after the Cavs game....the Rockets are scoring (9 games....one being an OT) 112 points per game. Harden averaged 29.4 pts/ and 8.1 ast/ game while bringing down his TO's from 4 something down to 3 per/gm (so what that it's from the SG's position). Assist leaders as of 01/30/2016: 1) Rondo 11.9 2) 3) 4) 5) Rubio 8.6 6) Draymond 7.2......so Harden would be 6th (during smaller lineup). Fact of the matter is TJ, Lawson, Brewer, D12 (at times), D-Mo injury have sabotaged this season so far.
              Our numbers would be better for the year if not for recent events.....such as getting Josh back and moving Ariza to PF briefly. I have always said that if you get Harden some shooters his assists would go up. It takes two to tango. Jet is ok but his defense is a liability. Brewer and Josh are terrible and TJ doesn't want to shoot 3's. During this stretch (last 9 games) Ariza is 16.2 points per game while shooting 48% from 3 and Harden is shooting 46% from 3. 12 man roster and you can scratch off TJ, Lawson, Brewer (just good at jumping the passing lanes) and Jet is too old (sorry to say).
              That leaves me with 8 guys and two of them are too raw (Capela & KJ)......the others are the 3 in actives...Harrell, D-Mo and Dekker; two of which have been injured. D-Mo shot 41% from 3 in his limited time this season....hope he helps.

Some will never admit to me and others that supplying Harden with 3 point shooters would improve Harden's (and D12's) which in turn helps our Rockets game. Exchange the 3 point shooters the Spurs or Warriors have for the Rockets and you will have the unstoppable sharing offense you desire......it goes hand in hand. Now our defense will still suck if you just get me 3 point shooters that can't play defense. Defense wins championships.

*Side note*. 5 of the last 9 games were on the road and the Rockets I believe have played 5 games in the last 7 nights.

I'm not disagreeing that adding better quality shooters wouldn't help (and certainly couldn't make the defense worse).  I do believe that the guys we have (Brewer, Jones, and Smith excluded) would fare better if they got more open looks and were faced with fewer last second heaves.  I believe we are 1-2 made threes per game from a quality record.  We take too many bad shots.  I believe they are a result of our offense and the guy who mainly executes it: James Harden.

While Morey emphasizes the rim, 3, and ft ideal it's not like guys aren't allowed to shoot mid-range.  Lawson takes more than 1/3 of his shots from mid-range.  Harden sits around 1/4 of his shots from mid.  Thornton is about 1/5.  Terry about 1/6.

While Harden has improved his turnover issue I still contend that his passing often leaves a lot to be desired in regards to timing, accuracy, and overall decision-making.

I will gladly concede that we can win against almost any team if we were playing top notch defense with our current offense (I do think playoffs against solid defensive teams with good coaches will be a problem).  Looking at our line-up numbers at bball-reference things become crystal clear as to what the problem is: Terrence Jones.

Here is what Jones brings to the table:

...and here is Capela:

Notice that Capela's only negative score is when he is paired with Jones.

I'm not implying that Capela is perfect nor the answer.  I'm saying Jones is the problem on defense.  Lawson isn't helping, but Jones is just killing us.  It will be addition by subtraction once he's gone.

#38 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 312 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

@johnnygold. No doubt, since McHale has been let go the team has tried many different things. Ty was removed from the starting lineup for offense and defensive reasons. Capela was inserted into the starting lineup to instill a defensive edge (but it killed spacing)... So now we are trying Ariza at PF to instill Pace and space ( but this hurts our defense). D-Mo may help, but for the most part it's a tip of the scale in one direction and then a tip of the scale the other way. This is why Avery Bradley and Aminu are on my wish list. Bradley/Harden/Ariza/D-Mo/D12 with Bev/Thornton/Aminu/Smoove/Capela off the bench. When facing the Warriors "Lineup of Death", Bradley/Harden/Ariza/Aminu/Josh.

If you look at the DRtg (I know, it's subjective) of the Warriors individual players. They all run about 104 (lower being better) while the Rockets are all 110. Capela and D12 are the exceptions (104). Now each player helps the other an improve each other's DRtg as a whole. Now the Rockets have been talked about ad nauseam of Harden D....which hurts everyone. Understood....but I can go one by one and tell you their deficiencies on defense.
                I will save it for another day. Chain is only as strong as its weakest link (Harden will be that); but we can strengthen the other links. More than likely by trades. Problem is every team is capped out and we are against the hard cap. I believe only Portland and Philly are below the cap. This is why I mention a Portland deal. I believe Portland could get into the playoff picture with the addition of Brewer and TJ. They need a PF.

I think when judging Harden we should compare his numbers vs PG's in the league. He is our PG basically from the SG position. ESPN
                ....PG.......................USG.................TS%.............Ast...............TO..................PER...........................
                Curry ..........................31.1.......... (.682) .........20.7.............10.5............32.49....(motion offense)......
                Westbrook..................34.0......... (.551)............27.4.............11.9............28.62.....(has Durant to help space the floor)
                Lillard..........................31.0 .........(548).............21.7..............10.3............21.73...........................................
                R Jackson..................29.6........... (.530)............23.5...........................................................................................

Harden.........................31.9..........(.593)...........19.9...............12.7..............25.21.(These #'s may change w/small-ball).

So in essence.....what would a healthy D-Mo shooting 41% from 3......or a Ryan Anderson.....or K Love; alone with another wing shooter that can play some DEFENSE. Thornton and Jet and Brewer lack defensive prowess. KJ is only Defense. TJ and Lawson provide neither right now. What you and RocketsBestFan are saying is food for thought. Coaching will probably not change this season and I feel this is going to be a poor trade year due to anticipation for the cap increase and every team being capped out. I did run a trade tracker on RealGM. Mosgov/Love for D12/Brewer....it was successful.

Edited by Jatman20, 31 January 2016 - 11:17 PM.

#39 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,211 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

@JG /Jatman20

I agree with both of you that better 3 point shooters would help us even with our defensive liabilities. however we will not be able to tangle with the big boys because our offense is to easy to shut down. it may help us kill Dallas, but we will be nowhere near a level to compete with the Spurs or GSW. good 3 point shooters will only camouflage our deep rooted flaws. we don't play sound fundamental basketball. simple as that. Jatman20 I don't believe getting rid of Morey is necessary. the GM's job is to assemble quality talent. he has done that. while I could in hindsight point out a few mistakes overall he serves his primary purpose. what he needs to do is hire a coach.....A real coach and allow him the power to direct this talent as he sees fit. get rid of this notion that the midrange area needs to be reduced shot selection territory and use the whole floor to generate higher quality looks. now the real question is can Morey take a step back and allow a coach to get his fingerprints on the clay? as I said before I believe we have good talent........we are just not using it correctly. we must learn to play to the talent we have on hand. IMO the reason we look so dysfunctional is this system doesn't bring out the strengths of our talent. on the contrary it brings out our flaws. the schemes within this system both offensively and defensively exposes our weaknesses. it's not that we can't play defense.....it's we can't execute this defensive scheme. every player in SA isn't a defensive specialist, but Pop has them playing a defensive scheme that downplays their flaws and caters to their strengths. I bet he could take this same group of talent we have on hand and have them in the top 5 in the league defensively. JBB isn't the answer as coach. while I was in favor of his promotion I'm unimpressed with his performance. looking at some of the available options right now it's hard to really get excited about any of them (except my boy....JVG, but chances are that won't happen)

Edited by rockets best fan, 01 February 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,390 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

@Jatman--I don't think we could even trade T-Jones to Hinkie right now...and he loves taking our scraps.

Omri Casspi and Jared Dudley are quietly have solid years and shooting 44% and 46%, respectively, from deep on a high volume of shots.  Frye and Teletovic are good for floor spacing.  Marvin Williams is playing pretty well.

The problem with most of these guys is a lack of defense.

We are going to have to go into free agency to get our hands on a Jae Crowder or Aminu type player.

Looking at this Summer's crop (and assuming we will have Lawson's $12M to play with) I see some possibilities.

Kent Bazemore is UFA

Marvin Williams is UFA

Darrell Arthur has a player option and might want out of Denver

(Not sure his defense is anything to brag about, but he can rebound and space the floor)

...and then there is Harrison Barnes.  He's got to hear the whispers that he's too good to be the 4th option on that team.  This has James Harden 2.0 written all over it, except I seriously doubt the Warriors trade him.  Odds are he opts out this Summer.  The warriors can't match a max, or near-max, deal.  If we take the $20M that ditching Lawson and trading one of Brewer/Ariza (likely Ariza since Barnes is going to be the starter) opens on the books I think we could get Mr. Barnes.

He is a legit two-way player and right now he's lurking in the shadows of GS at a 17% usg rate.  Given the opportunity, I think Barnes would flourish here and help make the overall team better.  He shoots solid percentages from everywhere on the floor, can guard nearly every position (he is 6' 8" and 210 lbs....according to bball-ref.com, he has played 21% of his minutes at C this year, 37% at PF, and 42% at SF).  I think there is a lot to like and Morey will most likely make a hard push unless his agent says it's not going to happen early in the process.

This video starts out with Barnes just dunking the ball a lot, but after a minute or two of that you start to see that there isn't anything he can't do offensively and he has a great feel for the game combined with elite athleticism.  Watch how deftly he maneuvers around people at high speed.  He is great on the break.  He's also a pretty good post-up threat.  I think he would fit in well here...the only thing I'm unsure of is his passing.  Based on everything else I see I'm guessing he can pass just fine....he just may not do it very much.

OK, moving on from there....

There is still the chance that KJ McDaniels matures and we can finally play him.  I'm not sure what is keeping him out of the line-up...fg%?  If so, that solves the problem in a very good way.

Matt Barnes (I know...nobody likes him, but he's a solid two-way player)

Courtney Lee...both will be UFA

Jerryd Bayless is a high-end 3 pt. threat...not sure about his defense.  He will be UFA

Ryan Anderson is UFA, but his defense is nothing to get excited about either.

More or less, that's what's available.

I'd love for Morey to bring in H. Barnes, but I think I'd also be pretty pleased with Bazemore or Williams....maybe Anderson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users