Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

Javale McGee anyone?

Javale McGee NBA Free Agency

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GabeMoreau

GabeMoreau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Javale McGee is a RFA and has been absolutely terrific in the playoffs for Denver. While Masia Ujiri, Denver's GM would love to keep Denver the McNuggets, I was wondering what kind of an offer you would extend him?

Last night, in Game 5 Javale scored 21 points, grabbed 14 boards, and 2 blocks while shooting 75%. In game 3 he scored 16 points, grabbed 15 rebounds, and 3 blocks while shooting 67%. In game 2 he grabbed 9 boards and had 6 blocks. He has played stellar defense against Andrew Bynum all series.

The highlights from last night are very impressive.

Javale is 7 ft tall with an impressive 7'6 wingspan, although his athleticism leads him to try and do ridiculous things like free-throw line dunks. His lack of awareness, asthma, and being a consistent scoring option are reasond to be wary.

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,167 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

javale is a player still developing. he wasted his time in washington, but george karl now has him on the right path. I think the rockets should pursue him. he is young, still has room to grow and has great athleticism. I don't think you should offer him the bank, but make a good offer to him and denver might pass. I know he has been childish on occasion, but putting him on a team with a lot of veterans might make him grow up. thats part of what I think is happening in denver. if the chance arises I think the rockets shouldn't pass it up.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 437 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Sign him to a reasonable deal. Then when Orlando tries to deal Howard at the deadline we have a C to include in the trade for them to rebuild with. If not then we have a C who is incredibly athletic. If that dude could ever get his head on straight he could be a force defending, rebounding, and catching passes and dunking. He will never be a superstar but for the right price I think he could be a valuable player for the Rockets. I wonder if Morey tried to get him at the deadline.

#4 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,590 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

He is another solid option to consider, and aside from his attitude problems hr has the abilities and skills to be a great player. Maybe his issue in washington were due to being on a crappy team with no shot at playoffs, maybe thats why he has shown increased effort in Denver. I don't think we should go for him just to have a C to use as bait for dwight at the deadline, mcgee for several years on the right deal sounds better than dwight for half a season.

#5 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
        • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Lets see Denver traded their "franchise" center in Nene to get him, and you think they will just let him leave

#6 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
        • 1,590 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Lets see Denver traded their "franchise" center in Nene to get him, and you think they will just let him leave

For the right price they would. As to Nene being a franchise player, Nene hasn't even been an all-star before and he's already 29. That's not a good sign for a franchise if that's their key asset. Nene isn't bad, but in McGee Denver got a young guy with similar size, statistics, and one owed less money. As far as Denver just letting him go as a RFA is doubtful, but stranger things have happened.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,167 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

For the right price they would. As to Nene being a franchise player, Nene hasn't even been an all-star before and he's already 29. That's not a good sign for a franchise if that's their key asset. Nene isn't bad, but in McGee Denver got a young guy with similar size, statistics, and one owed less money. As far as Denver just letting him go as a RFA is doubtful, but stranger things have happened.

agreed. denver can resign mc gee but will have to go over the cap to do so. if they do that it means they have the same team next year. they may be looking at changing things up. if they do mc gee may not be in their plans unless he takes a pay cut

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 549 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

I would still pursue Hibbert first, with McGee a second option. I don't know the order of trade-deadlines, and RFA signing deadlines, so how about pursuing McGee as bait for Hibbert instead? Seems more reasonable to me rather than chasing a DH rental, which I am by no means for. We need young players with the promise of becoming the anchors at their positions for years to come and eventually donning the "Franchise Player" tags. We don't need short time, big headed rentals like D-will and D-how. So, if Indy bites on McGee, then great, if not, there could be worse things.

#9 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

On the same terms as McGee, how about Asik? We've been trying to get him for years and he is a restricted free agent. If we offered him like 6 or so it would be tough for the Bulls to match unless they amnesty Boozer. He's a good defensive player who rebounds, is actually 7 feet tall, can finish around the rim, and I think has a lot of room to grow. Thoughts?

#10 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
              • 1,590 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

On the same terms as McGee, how about Asik? We've been trying to get him for years and he is a restricted free agent. If we offered him like 6 or so it would be tough for the Bulls to match unless they amnesty Boozer. He's a good defensive player who rebounds, is actually 7 feet tall, can finish around the rim, and I think has a lot of room to grow. Thoughts?

There are only two reasons I'd rather Asik than McGee:
                1. He wouldn't cost as much; and
                2. I haven't heard of any attitude/effort issues with him.

The Negatives of Asik over McGee:
                1. Comparing their first two seasons, Asik is much less impressive box score-wise.
                2. When McGee plays 100% he has potential to be a star, Asik needs a lot of work still and if were going to get someone who needs work lets just draft one and get them cheap.

Another note, In the playoffs Asik saw increased minutes, yet his stats didn't reflect it well. He may primarily be a defensive player and is a good rebounder, but he needs some offensive production as well. He needs more time on the floor to be evaluated but he needs to do something to deserve more time on the floor.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,167 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

blakecouey:
                agreed. you said a mouth full. this is exactly how I feel about asik. I think mc gee is a better option.

#12 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                • 1,590 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

After thinking about it for a complete day, I still cant see why we'd want Asik. We aren't in a financial position where we need to find a bargain player and hope they work out, we have the ability to pay big money to a player that can dynamically change our team(and is worth the money).

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,167 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

agreed about the need to find center piece player and available money to do so, but outside of trades the FA class is weak. a player I would like to see us chase if no howard deal is possible is kaman. he can score from the 5 position, is a decent rebounder, and still has some good years left. also we don't have to give up any thing to get him

#14 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 437 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

Asik isn't the one move you make, but potentially if we make a deal for a Josh Smith or someone like that Asik would look nice next to Smith in the front court. I'm not saying we go after him and no one else, but he would be a pretty solid starting C and from what we've had recently and the C position, solid would be spectacular.

#15 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                    • 1,590 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

What makes you think he would be a solid C? I dont see anything that backs that up, I'd prefer Dalembert over Asik. Comparison of the two shows that Asik not only scores much less per 40mins, as well as shoots free throws at a horrid 49% to Dallys 70%. As scoring isn't everything, Asik also has a much worse Turnover Rate and PER. I just don't see what you see as far as a "good starting C" goes. I think we all can agree Dalembert was less than impressive/solid throughout the season, and you're giving Asik the nod when there is nothing to back it up. We need a real difference maker at every position(whether its the same guy we've already got or not) and Asik is not that.

What about Spencer Hawes? He is unrestricted, and I've been somewhat impressed with his play in the playoffs. He has had a breakout year, improving in nearly all categories. He has a good base and with McHale he may be able to improve even further. His biggest flaw is shying away from contact and never making it to the free throw line, but with his size he can be taught to play tougher and draw fouls.

#16 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 338 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Spencer Hawes is a very good Adelman center-shoots from outside and is a pretty good passer.
                        Unfortunately defense is optional w/him and he is a mediocre rebounder at best.(Jordan Hill has a better rebounding % than Hawes and better per 36 minute rebounding numbers. And Hill was ripped for his lack of rebounding and effort. Hawes is worse on the defensive end.)
                        McHale has said the team needs above the rim players who rebound and block shots. That isn't Hawes.
                        The Rockets aren't going after Hawes.

McGee,Hibbert,they'll kick the tires,but Morey doesn't overspend for players.
                        The year Yao went out and the best FA C available was Gortat? Morey wouldn't even offer him the full MLE,just $3mil.
                        He certainly didn't blow Nene away w/a huge offer.

#17 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                        • 1,590 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

I agree his rebounding numbers and his defensive abilities aren't up to par, but that's something McHale can work on(as mentioned). The offensive portion of his game are enough to compensate for some of his lacking attributes. The fact is, as Rockets All Day mentioned, this years FA class is weak, we might just have to settle for upgrades that may still need polishing. I think Hawes is worth a look by management, definitely more so than Asik.

#18 majik19

majik19

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 311 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

I think I would prefer McGee to Asik or Hawes, but someone is going to way overpay McGee this offseason. I think Asik might make a better fit next to Motiejunas (assuming he's a our PF of the future - I can hope right?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users