Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

How much are Goran Dragic and Lee worth?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

We are all pretty much agreed that we do not want to let either of these two guys leave if possible, unless we are renouncing them so that we have the cap-space to definitely bring in someone else (Mayo/ Gordon/Hibbert/Whoever), So...

What is the highest possible salary you would resign Dragic and Lee at? What point do we say, "right that is extravagant, you can have him" to whatever team signs them to an offer sheet?

I think maybe an average of 8/year for Dragic and 4.5 for Lee? any more than that and there is no point keeping them as they will just clog up capspace.

#2 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
    • 1,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

This has been addressed more or less in a ton of scattered posts, thanks for giving us somewhere to hear everyone's opinion easily.
      I think you hit it right on for Dragic, 8m a year is a huge raise, the only thing that could drive it up higher is the amount of teams in need of a good PG.
      Lee on the other hand I think should get 5-5.5 in the past year he has proven he can handle a starting job, and can handle defending anyone in the league near his size. At this offer we can still comfortably afford for him to come off the bench IF we find an upgrade such as Mayo/Gordon.

#3 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 338 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Starting PGs who are not All-Stars have been getting deals starting @ $7mil w/standard raise. That would end up being something like $7mil,$7.5,$8,$8.5,$9mil over a 5 yr deal the Rockets could sign him to. Other teams would be limited to 4 yrs and a smaller raise,so they might compensate by overpaying. Anything more than a salary starting at $7.5mil I would have to think the Rockets say no to.

For Courtney Lee,it's a strange situation. While Lee would normally be a perfect MLE type player(about $5-6mil/yr to start),the recent market in SGs is much higher. Reddick(his back-up in Orlando),Thorton and Afflalo(in 2011) all got deals starting at @ $7mil.
        We know the Rockets and Lee disagreed over money when they were negotiating his extension. I'd bet the Rockets were offering $5mil,Lee wanted peer equivalent $7mil. Like Dragic,Lee gets anything more than $7.5mil and the Rockets let him go.
        To be honest even $7mil would give me serious doubts.
        Keep in mind the new killer Lux Tax provisions start in 2013/14. W/essentially a Hard Cap of $70mil for a couple of yrs,having a couple of players combined making Max money and not delivering All-Star caliber play is a problem. If the team obtains a Star not on his rookie contract,we're looking at half the available salary tied to 3 players,only one of whom is a Star. It leaves just $35mil for the other 10 players.
        FWIW,the latest edition of ESPN,the Magazine-the money edition-has a mini article on how the teams in the top 25% of wins spend much more on bigs than on guards.

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

^Have to agree with the above. I don't think it's a sure thing they bring Lee back. He's a very nice player, but if he gets overpaid, deals like that can kill you, especially when you don't have a star already.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,167 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

dragic 7.5 or below. lee 5.5 or below. if they get more on the open market tip your hat and wish them well. anything more than that and you are tying up to much money in the back court. I do believe lee will be back. I don't think any team will throw mad money at him that the rockets can't match within reason. dragic on the other hand might have some teams ready to throw mad money at him. if 1 of them are loss it will probably be dragic. quality pg's are harder to find than sg's. if portland don't get a pg in the draft they like you can best believe they will come after dragic with a very very nice offer, and may do so even if they get one in the draft. you can also look for dallas if they don't get d-will, or new jersey(brooklyn), new orleans, utah.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 338 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

Minnesota will have Cap room,a coach who likes Lee and a need at shooting guard. They're the ones who are the biggest threat to offer $7-8mil.(Dallas is another that could offer the same-but likely a mil or so less-as they need a SG and will have cap room if they miss out on Williams.
            (One of reasons I've advocated trading Martin to Minn is so they won't make a run at Lee :) .)

Portland Management has made it clear they aren't going to rebuild,they're going to reload. They've stated publicly they're willing to deal their draft picks for quality vets. They don't want to go w/a rookie PG as their starter,they want someone like Dragic,Lowry,etc.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,167 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Stephen:
            minny will have some cap room but are far more interested in martin than lee. they tried to trade for martin b4 trade deadline this year. I think our biggest threats are portland and new jersey(brooklyn). both have a lot of money to spend, and have need in the positions we have available players with portland being the bigger threat. it would be in our best interest to make a deal with portland for their draft pick. I agree with you portland is not interested in rebuilding just reloading, but with a couple of well timed moves we can take advantage of reloading effort.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 167 posts
            • LocationAustin

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

For both the answer is: Whatever the market bares.

DD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users