Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Jason Terry said that he turned down a more lucrative deal from New Orleans in order to return to Houston.
@  clydesmoustache : (19 August 2015 - 08:32 AM) A year ago who would have thought I would be so happy to have Jason Terry on my team. Welcome back JET! Hurry up October!
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 August 2015 - 04:45 AM) Terry I love yooouuuuuuuuu
@  jorgeaam : (19 August 2015 - 02:38 AM) Yay Terry is back!
@  majik19 : (15 August 2015 - 09:33 PM) and i thought these shouts were limited to some number of characters!

Photo

Llull

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 FEntropy

FEntropy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:00 PM

I know there is a free agency specific thread, but feel this warrants its own thread.

I'm assuming everyone saw the rumors of the last couple days. Essentially the Rockets reportedly offered Surgio Llull a 3 year/21 million deal. Just was polling the community with a couple thoughts.

A: How likely do you think it is he will make the leap to the NBA

B: Should we care? Is he as good as his stats in Spain make him out to be?

Edited by FEntropy, 23 June 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,116 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

Best answer I can give is this...

6902425.gif

If I had to bet money I'd bet on "no".  The good news is he probably isn't as good as we want/need him to be.

The bad news is we may have to trade players we like to fill that void.

Back to good news, the NBA looks nuttier than a squirrel turd right now so anything could happen.

Back to bad news, that means GM's are going to screw everything up and drive prices up meaning Morey's job will be tougher.

Back to good news, we already have a really good team and will be fine heading into the season retaining the squad we had this year.

Back to bad news, we still need a secondary ball-handler.

Good news!  We've got Daryl Morey and lots of good, young players (especially if we manage to re-sign KJ McDaniels).  If Morey can package up Capela and KJ a lot of teams are going to be interested.  I also still believe that Jerian Grant is NBA ready (mostly) and is going to be one of the steals of this draft (plus everyone else thinks Tyus Jones is big time) and both are slotted to be available for us.

So, in conclusion I say, "Sergio who?"

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:44 AM

@JG

very well put..............totally agree. Llull will likely stay in Spain IMO. opportunities are looking up for him there and it's his home country. I really don't believe the hype on him. looking at how Papa and Dorsey were hyped prior to last season has taken the wind out of my sail on these Euro players. yeah there's some talent over there, but we won't be picking up Chris Paul or Mike Conley or Steph Curry. that's why I am hoping we chase an established PG as our target or at least a top rookie.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:50 AM

@JG

you know how much I like Bledsoe. it surprised me to see him available. I agree with you.........right now the asking price is to high

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,116 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:03 AM

@JG

you know how much I like Bledsoe. it surprised me to see him available. I agree with you.........right now the asking price is to high

I wasn't as high on him as you were last time we talked Bledsoe.  That being said, when he is healthy he is a force.  If we could get him without forking over a king's ransom I would be all for it.  However, if Phoenix is truly shopping him it makes me think the knee issue is more serious and we should avoid the temptation.  He's very good, but if he can't stay healthy... :unsure:...we've already got Dwight's knee to monitor...and D-Mo's back....and Harden's minutes....and T-Jones' everything... :lol:

#6 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

I think Llull is probably an improvement over BEverly... but a slight improvement isn't going to move the needle.  We needed floor spacing from our 4 in the Golden State series and Josh Smith was too crazy and TJones too TJones.  Lull doesn't address that.  

#7 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 473 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

https://twitter.com/...4334848/photo/1

A.) So thats not a no.

B.) I still think Llull could be pretty good, not star good but think....say Mo Williams good or Jameer Nelson on those magic teams but with more size. But not next year, it takes time to adjust to the nba game. By the end of that 3 year contract though I think he would earn it. Question stands about short-term though. Also he wasn't a scrub or anything for the Real team, he won finals MVP with some other nba-level (past) players also on his team. If your looking for a solid role player he could definitely be that, but I don't think he's a star or anything. Two things I like about him that I think translate quickly from level to level fairly well in basketball, high free throw shooting percentage=good catch and shoot shooter (check) and good assist to turnover ratio/turnover rate (check).

Edited by Losthief, 24 June 2015 - 07:19 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#8 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 473 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

I was gonna edit...but it won't let me, must of been too slow so copy/pasted:

edit: Good comp would be Luis Scola actually, Scola had 10/11 years international experience before we got him here and Llull just finished his ninth both will/would of been 27 year old rookies. Both were/are a MVP of Cup (tournys) a few times and made the spanish/euroleague all-league teams. Scola had the leauge mvp once and Llull has a finals MVP.

So if we remember Luis was 10 and 6 in about 25 minutes a game with good percentages and pretty bad defense his 'rookie' year. I'd say expect the same(ish) thing from Llull's 'rookie' year; good percentages and a low minute count (more games in the nba more often than in international leagues) along with some sketchy defense as he learns.  Then Scola became a 30 min. a game player with 12/8 in year two and by year three 16/8 and peaked in year 4 with 18/8. His defense went from atrocious to acceptable (until he got old).

Is that worth it? Should we care? Good questions...I'd say worth it in the long-term sure, care for next year....maybe, but he's not the sole answer I don't think. Actually a Bev/Llull combo wouldn't be the worse outcome imho with both running about 25-28 minutes a night (with the extra minutes for Llull being at SG). Bev stays fresher (and hopefully healthier) and can go full tilt for all his minutes, and Llull doesn't get run into the ground and gets time to grow/adjust to the nba.

p.s. sorry for the long edit haha.

Edited by Losthief, 24 June 2015 - 07:35 PM.

LoSTHieF

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,118 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:11 AM

I wasn't as high on him as you were last time we talked Bledsoe.  That being said, when he is healthy he is a force.  If we could get him without forking over a king's ransom I would be all for it.  However, if Phoenix is truly shopping him it makes me think the knee issue is more serious and we should avoid the temptation.  He's very good, but if he can't stay healthy... :unsure:...we've already got Dwight's knee to monitor...and D-Mo's back....and Harden's minutes....and T-Jones' everything... :lol:

I don't think health is the issue.........some pretty bad feelings were created last year during his free agency. that likely didn't all go away. the fallout with all the PG's last year trying to work Thomas into the mix didn't do much to help things either. just like Dragic did......... he wants out. he was probably hoping he was the one that got traded. Phoenix may be shopping him because they have decided to go with Knight at PG and try and build around him. the recent change in GM there might indicate not all were on board with signing Bledsoe last year. if they are truly shopping him I would expect to see a trade prior to the season. it's unlikely they would allow this rift to continue into the season. with that said I don't think we should clean out the treasure chest. the most I would do would be this years two picks with a first round pick in 2017 and one of T-Jones, D-Mo or Capela plus Papa Dorsey N-Johnson and maybe a sign and trade on McDainels. however that's likely not enough for Phoenix unless the rift between them and Bledsoe is much worse than we know.  

#10 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,179 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

The way I see it, we don't need greatness from the PG position, we just need solidity. A healthy Beverley (ie. the one we saw two years ago) + Llull is almost certainly going to do a better job running the point than Terry + Prigioni. Those guys did the best they could last season but they're just too old to be able to fight the good fight against the awesome PGs in the Western conference.

Now, is Llull going to blow everyone's socks off? I doubt it. But if he can fit in to playing the backup PG and be an experienced head without quite as much age on the legs as our current options, I'd be happy to have him on the roster.

ST

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,118 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

The way I see it, we don't need greatness from the PG position, we just need solidity. A healthy Beverley (ie. the one we saw two years ago) + Llull is almost certainly going to do a better job running the point than Terry + Prigioni. Those guys did the best they could last season but they're just too old to be able to fight the good fight against the awesome PGs in the Western conference.

Now, is Llull going to blow everyone's socks off? I doubt it. But if he can fit in to playing the backup PG and be an experienced head without quite as much age on the legs as our current options, I'd be happy to have him on the roster.

ST

I disagree..........I think we need an impact player at PG and I don't believe Llull will fill the bill even if we do also retain Bev. IMO we don't need a backup point guard.......we need a starter. somebody who is better than Bev affording us the luxury of bringing Bev off the bench with the second unit. Bev is not the answer to our facilitating needs and I don't believe Llull is either. we need a proven commodity at the position...not a developmental prospect

#12 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 222 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:07 PM

ST

I agree with Sir Thursday.....we were the 2nd team in the Western Conf in the regular season and finished 2nd in the Western Conf playoffs with two 37 y/o PG's. Clips got Lance Stephenson not for his great passing skills....but someone to attack the basket when Chris Paul gets doubled. Harrell and Dekker are young, but Morey wants players who will do the same. Both rooks will attack the rim, pass to the open player for a corner 3 & get fouls on the defense. 50/50 chance Llull comes to the Rockets this season. He is adequate for our needs......his TO rate is microscopic.

Edited by Jatman20, 28 June 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,118 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:07 AM

I agree with Sir Thursday.....we were the 2nd team in the Western Conf in the regular season and finished 2nd in the Western Conf playoffs with two 37 y/o PG's. Clips got Lance Stephenson not for his great passing skills....but someone to attack the basket when Chris Paul gets doubled. Harrell and Dekker are young, but Morey wants players who will do the same. Both rooks will attack the rim, pass to the open player for a corner 3 & get fouls on the defense. 50/50 chance Llull comes to the Rockets this season. He is adequate for our needs......his TO rate is microscopic.

the one thing we must keep in context when discussing any stat on Llull is he plays in Europe. he has not faced NBA level competition offensively or defensively. many players have trouble making the jump so assuming he is a proven commodity would be assuming too much. the man wasn't even the starter on his team in Spain.

#14 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 222 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:19 AM

This article sums it up. I will let you agree or disagree with then Rockets rep Hinkie.

http://bleacherrepor...-at-point-guard

Part A of the question i say 50/50 chance.
        Part B, I'm all for it.

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,118 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:46 AM

This article sums it up. I will let you agree or disagree with then Rockets rep Hinkie.

http://bleacherrepor...-at-point-guard

Part A of the question i say 50/50 chance.
        Part B, I'm all for it.

the hype is no less than I read about Papa and Dorsey last year. I would check to see if this guy had any connections to Llull's agent before I start betting the farm :lol: I'm not saying this guy is worthless.......I'm saying he's unproven. until he plays against NBA level competition the jury is still out. even if we bring him here I would still want us to also bring an establish NBA guard in too

Edited by rockets best fan, 30 June 2015 - 01:50 AM.

#16 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 222 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:12 AM

In the movie Hoosiers coach (Hackman) had the players measure the height of the rim and the distance to the free throw line. Then he tells them.....yep, same measurements as our court at home. Knocking down open shots in the NBA is the same as Llull knocking down open shots abroad. Harden and D12 tend to do that for their teammates....create open shots. We do a lot of PnR's and thats one of his specialties. He excels in fast breaks; which will help lessen Harden's burden. With the Spanish national team he plays shooting guard because Rubio is a terrible shooting guard (can't shoot) and Calderon is shorter I believe. So Llull (6'3") plays off the bench so that 6'6" Rudy Fernandez can play starting SG. With the other teams he is the guy. No Pau Gasol, or Marc Gasol, or Rubio, or Calderon or Prigioni.....he is the guy teams gear to stop. With the Rockets it is going to be so easy for him to fit in. You will see. When Harden gets doubled, he will occupy two defenders, which allows Llull to shoot the three or attack 4 on 3.
          Dekker is expected to receive the ball and shoot the three or attack; as is Harrell. This is what we asked of Josh Smith.....shoot the three or attack the rim. "When" Josh did that. More good came of it than bad. Yes there was some TO's and missed 3's. But there was some lobs and dunks and buckets-n-ones and fouls. Rockets scheme is shoot 3's or near the rim or FT's. Llull gives us all of those. Llull just has to compliment Harden; not take over the show!!

Side note: josh Smith shot 24% from 3 with the Pistons last year; while shooting 34% from 3 with the Rockets.
          38% during our playoff run. Llull will get some open shots.....and he will knock them down. Between Fast break points and 3's and FT's and reg buckets......he can probably get us 10 points a game at least. But its the assists that helps.

Edited by Jatman20, 30 June 2015 - 02:19 AM.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,118 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:39 AM

@Jatman20

the rim and court is the same, but the man standing in front of him won't be. Llull may indeed turn out to be a good player, but he must prove he can make the jump to the NBA game. I'm sure that every team who drafted in the top 10 in the first round this year believes they have a starter level if not star level player. will they all be? NO..........why? because until they actually face NBA level competition all we have is speculation. that's where we are with Llull IMO. he's not going to take the NBA by storm. it will take time for him to adjust if he is able to adjust at all. just because the salesman has a good pitch don't mean I'm buying. I'm waiting for the test drive :lol:  

#18 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 222 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

Well there you go. We will agree to disagree. As the article states it's kinda wrong to see Llull as a rookie. He has faced NBA players in FIBA world championship comp. Its just hard for NBA players to shine on a team full of stars as team USA is. Spain also has that problem, with the Gasols, Rudy Fernandez, Ibaka, Sergio Rodriguez, Calderon, Rubio and others. I like Prigi, but he was too slow and too old. Llull looks to me like a younger quicker version. Too many people want the Rockets to get true point guards......Lin couldn't play off off Harden. When he was open for a three he put his head down and attack the paint (right where Harden took the defense) and when he had a guy in front of him he tried to rise over them a shot a contested three. You see Llull shooting with guys in his face. The circus shots you see in the videos is probably Llull getting the ball with the shot clock down to the last second....he will get plenty of those playing off of Harden. Rondo wouldn't have shared the ball with Harden just like he didn't want to share the ball with Monta Ellis. Dragic got tired of sharing the ball with Bledsoe and Isiah Thomas. Llull will attack and pass in a manner we wanted Bev, Jet, Prigi to do.....and with D12, Harden and D-Mo, he will be ok. Again we agree to disagree. Im not arguing, since I doubt he makes the jump. With exception to cost, I think he would be the perfect fit.....a lesser Dragic.

Edited by Jatman20, 30 June 2015 - 03:46 AM.

#19 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 473 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:08 AM

only thing i'll add is the starter thing is a bit skewed as in europe they use seniority for starting not talent. Case in point he played the most minutes (both overall and per game) on the Real squad:

http://www.basketbal...adrid/2015.html

Its a fluke of the euro system rather than a negative on his talent. He was one of there 'star' players.

LoSTHieF

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,118 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:44 AM

only thing i'll add is the starter thing is a bit skewed as in europe they use seniority for starting not talent. Case in point he played the most minutes (both overall and per game) on the Real squad:

http://www.basketbal...adrid/2015.html

Its a fluke of the euro system rather than a negative on his talent. He was one of there 'star' players.

even if he played the most minutes in their championship run is the talent in their league on par with NBA teams? let me ask this question, if the NBA is a 10 as far as talent level where on the scale is Europe talent? where on the scale is American college talent? I'm hearing very clearly the points being made on Llull. in Europe he looks like Chris Paul :lol:  :lol: but that doesn't mean he is guaranteed to look like that here. before we start bowing at his feet lets watch the man play first. his top ten plays are nice just as long as it doesn't take him 20 games to get it here. many players who can no longer cut it in the NBA make nice livings abroad. domination of inferior talent doesn't impress me it just makes me curious. don't forget J. Lin once looked like a real PG :lol: but when the metal touched the fire it melted :lol:  :lol: all I'm saying is in cases like this usually when something sounds to good to be true............it is

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users