Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Jason Terry said that he turned down a more lucrative deal from New Orleans in order to return to Houston.
@  clydesmoustache : (19 August 2015 - 08:32 AM) A year ago who would have thought I would be so happy to have Jason Terry on my team. Welcome back JET! Hurry up October!
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 August 2015 - 04:45 AM) Terry I love yooouuuuuuuuu
@  jorgeaam : (19 August 2015 - 02:38 AM) Yay Terry is back!
@  majik19 : (15 August 2015 - 09:33 PM) and i thought these shouts were limited to some number of characters!

Photo

2015 Draft

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: 2015 Draft (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should the Rockets draft at 18?

1. Cameron Payne (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Jerian Grant (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Tyus Jones (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Someone else (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

Seems like with the draft in two days, we should have a draft topic.

I think everyone knows, but just in case, we have the 18th pick via the Omer Asik trade with New Orleans last year. We also have the 2nd pick of the 2nd round, #32 overall. 

I feel like we have one big need that everyone can agree on: Point Guard (unless we somehow get Llull to sign in the next two days, and even then it's still probably our biggest need). 

It's pretty safe to say that we'll be probably be picking from Cameron Payne (Murray State), Tyus Jones (Duke), and Jerian Grant (Notre Dame). 

Grant has the athleticism and height advantage, but is the oldest, while Payne is probably the best scorer of the 3. The advanced stats love Jones (and Jones "hurt his back in Houston" so there may be a promise there...)

I think either Payne or Jones has a better chance of being a starter, while Grant has the better chance at sticking as an NBA player, albeit probably a rotation guy. Grant also has the best chance to be able to guard 1s and 2s, something the other two probably won't do well (and it's an important skill on our team). 

I'm personally partial to Jones because of high passing ability, plus he probably profiles as the best shooter of the 3 players. The concern with him is certainly athleticism - is he athletic enough to defend opposing point guards?

#2 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 473 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:36 PM

I don't think we will still have the pick....or at the very least not that pick...just a gut feeling we either try to move up to get another pg or we trade the pick. Some experts predicting mudiay falls outside the top 10 cause of worries about his shooting if he is their I'd like to see us make a move.

if we do stay at the 18th selection I think it'd be payne or jones whoever left, probably jones so I chose him in the poll.

Edited by Losthief, 23 June 2015 - 05:43 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#3 JLvonR

JLvonR

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

I like Delon Wright, 6'6" 23-year-old out of Utah. He defends, creates, and plays under control. He finished last season with a jaw-dropping 30.63 PER, tops among all PGs on the Rockets' board. Not to mention, he's ready to contribute now.

Edited by JLvonR, 23 June 2015 - 06:15 PM.

"The Harry Houdinis of the NBA… the Houston Rockets, baby. We're pullin' games out the hat, boy. You gotta respect us." -- Mario Elie

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,116 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

I like Delon Wright, 6'6" 23-year-old out of Utah. He defends, creates, and plays under control. He finished last season with a jaw-dropping 30.63 PER, tops among all PGs on the Rockets' board. Not to mention, he's ready to contribute now.

I was starting to think the Rockets might go that way until I read this snippet from Draftexpress.com

The biggest concern about Wright's transition to the NBA revolves around his outside shooting. He made just 38 of 126 attempts the past two seasons (30%), and is especially limited as an off the dribble shooter. Wright's pull-up jumper is virtually non-existent at this stage, as he sports a low and slow release on his shot, and gets little to no elevation, which makes it difficult for him to create separation from defenders. His hesitance to shoot off the dribble is something that better defenses scouted and were able to take advantage of consistently the last two years, sagging way off him, going underneath screens on the pick and roll, and generally mucking up Utah's offense.

Wright tends to pick up his dribble quite a bit in the mid-range area for this reason, often throwing up an awkward shot at the rim or being forced to reset the offense, which is much easier to do with a 35 second shot-clock.

This wouldn't be as much of an issue if Wright projected as a better finisher around the basket. He's not particularly strong, long or explosive, which makes it difficult for him to finish plays at times through contact, especially against better defenses. Getting to the free throw line at a strong clip helped his efficiency tremendously in college, but there are question marks about whether he can he continue to do so at the NBA level. Otherwise, will he be able score in the half-court in the NBA without a consistent jump-shot?

How much upside Wright still has to continue to improve is also something that remains to be seen. His frame is on the frail side, and may be close to physical maturation, and he could be the oldest player to hear his name called on draft night, as he's turning 23 at the end of April.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpr.../#ixzz3dvTMJmSh
      http://www.draftexpress.com

Can he fix those things?  Maybe...but how long does that take?

In all fairness, Jerian Grant (my favorite) gets similar criticism from Draftexpress as well.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,118 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

I went with Grant also, but agree with Losthief. I have this feeling the Rockets are up to something, it's just a little to quite around here. I'm beginning to believe they are going to trade the pick........especially the second round one. I have read a few articles that teams at the mid to late twenties are looking to move into early in the second round to not have the salary count against their cap. they want that flexibility. so I don't think we will be making that pick at all. we likely will have a second 1st rounder mid to late twenties and that may be enough to spark a trade to move up. I think the Rockets have their eye on somebody and all of us may be shocked at who it is............keep an eye on Payne or Mudiay

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 211 posts
      • LocationIsrael

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

Don't like spoil the draft party, but the way I see it the Rockets don't need prospects to contribute in 2-3 years, more like proven players that can help win some playoff series in 2016. None of the guys above will be able do that.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,116 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

Don't like spoil the draft party, but the way I see it the Rockets don't need prospects to contribute in 2-3 years, more like proven players that can help win some playoff series in 2016. None of the guys above will be able do that.

Well, I would assume this is coming from a place of "we need to win now before the window closes because all that matters is we get a trophy so I can feel good".  Which is fine, but that isn't Morey's job.  He has to focus on 50 other aspects of the franchise as well including the near and far future.  Further, 99% of the time when a team mortgages their future to try and "win now" it fails and then that failure is compounded by not only losing now, but guaranteeing that team will continue to lose in the future.

I also disagree that a rookie can't contribute.  It happens all the time.  We don't need to draft a starter--just a guy who can give us quality minutes.  I believe Grant with his maturity, skill set, size, and defense can do just that in a back up role.

We may need to use a prospect or two to upgrade at the PG spot, but we also need to continue drafting and developing young guys.  We are planning for more than one season of basketball here.

#8 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 265 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

I'm beginning to believe they are going to trade the pick........especially the second round one. I have read a few articles that teams at the mid to late twenties are looking to move into early in the second round to not have the salary count against their cap. they want that flexibility. so I don't think we will be making that pick at all.

The way Morey picks second rounders, I would be shocked if we didn't use the 2nd round pick. Hell, I'm almost more excited about our 2nd round pick than our first rounder, with the success Morey's had!

#9 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 473 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Well, I would assume this is coming from a place of "we need to win now before the window closes because all that matters is we get a trophy so I can feel good".  Which is fine, but that isn't Morey's job.  He has to focus on 50 other aspects of the franchise as well including the near and far future.  Further, 99% of the time when a team mortgages their future to try and "win now" it fails and then that failure is compounded by not only losing now, but guaranteeing that team will continue to lose in the future.

see: astros world series run.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#10 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 236 posts
        • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

I tend to agree that the Rox are going to move one or both of their picks - possibly to move up.  2 of Morey's favorite trade partners are in the 3 and 4 slots - any chance to get Russell?  With the traditional move at 2 being to take Okafur, and with the speed of Porzingis' rise, I could see getting Russell at 3 or 4.  Would both picks and TJones be enough?

Perhaps, option 2 is to have Denver draft Mudiay at 7, and we trade them both picks straight up?  I really don't want Ty's contract, and not sure we could get there even if we wanted it.

#11 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 196 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

I picked Jerian Grant. If we stay at number 18, I think he is the perfect fit for a 6th man type role. He can play both guard positions, and is a dominant player in the pick and roll. He might not ever become an NBA starter, but with the 18th pick in the draft, you can't really expect that. I think he fills a huge need even if he stays in that backup 1/2 role.He is perfect for what we need from that position as long as he can continue to improve his shot. He has great shooting form, so I do believe he can be at least an average to above-average 3 pt shooter. He also has size that could really bother the Currys and Lillards of the world should he ever become the starting point. 

Now with all that said, I too get the feeling that we are wanting to trade up. It feels like we are throwing smoke screens with the Tyus Jones talks, and a lot of teams with the 4-12 picks have been rumored to wanting to move back. The next question is, who are we targeting exactly? I don't believe we have the assets/wouldn't be willing to part with the assets to move up high enough to get Russell (man how freaking sweet would that be though?!). So one would assume it is either Payne or Mudiay, seeing as the next best available PGs should be available at no.18. If it is Mudiay that we like, it is going to be extremely difficult to move up high enough to get him. I can't see him lasting past the Nuggets at no.7, and he could very easily go before that. So theoretically we would have to work a trade to move at the very least 11 spots. A team moving that far down is going to want a pretty nice return. Can we move up that far without losing D-Mo or Capela? My guess would be not likely. So that brings us to Payne. I do not think he will be there at no. 18, but I do think he will fall somewhere in the 12-17 range. I think if we make a trade to move up, it is much more likely to be in that range somewhere, and means we really like Payne (or someone else none of us have really considered). I'm a big fan of Payne, but if that is the route we are going to go, I would rather stay put at 18 and draft Grant.

So long story short, I want Grant at no. 18 if we decide to stay put. If we can move inside the top 7 to get Mudiay (without sacrificing Dmo or Capela), I would love that but it seems like a longshot at best. I like Payne, but don't think he is going to be available at our pick, and don't think the difference between him and Grant justifies losing assets to move up.

With all this said, I still think it is going to be some out of the blue player we never thought of. That's how Morey rolls  B)

#12 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:54 PM

If we can jump into the top 10 justice winslow would be the guy I'd want (wouldnt complain about mudiay either) but its hard to imagine a scenario that wouldnt involve losing DMo. Is it worth it at that point? lean towards no unless they think his back issues will linger. At 18 Grant or Harrel seem like the best fits.

#13 majik19

majik19

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 265 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

TheDreamShake mentioned speculations on George Hill being available. I feel like he would be a good fit for the Rockets - decent playmaker, ballhandler, defender... He's very solid, very dependable. Nothing spectacular. 

#14 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 166 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:37 PM

^Haha, was just coming here to post that too. I like George Hill, especially as a pair with Harden. Compared to Bev, we wouldn't lose much on D, and we'd gain more consistency on offense.

I feel like Indiana might like Papa, too.

#15 majik19

majik19

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 265 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

Congrats, we're all wrong!

as I said in the shoutbox - Trevor Ariza insurance. 

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,116 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:33 PM

Here I sit.  The morning after....trying to talk myself into being excited about Sam Dekker.  Sure, his Draftexpress profile reads well.  It's little surprise that it reads almost identical to Mr. Chandler Parsons' profile.  There are minor differences, but we basically just got Parsons 2.0.  OK, that's good.  So why am I not excited?

Looking at the next 12 or so picks, Morey has stuck his neck out to draft this guy.  Players like Grant, Jones, Looney, Portis, and others could very well come back to haunt us.  Surely he sees a winner in Dekker.  Right?   :unsure:

As others have noted, this sends a clear signal that either Llull or a trade is coming.  Harden asked for one thing this off season and I can't see Morey ignoring that.  I'm actually ok with Rubio--I am well aware of his shooting woes, but with the likes of Harden, Ariza, Motie, and Howard he should have a profound effect on the offense in getting them lots of high percentage looks.

As for Harrell--I love it.  He was on my wish list.  He may not be done growing as he grew over an inch from age 19-21.  Another little growth spurt would be nice.  He's basically the opposite of Dekker in every way.  Insane athleticism, 6' 7" with a 7' 4" wingspan, but without much of a skillset to work with.  Perhaps the plan is to splice the two together and create one awesome player.  :D

Given our depth up front I imagine Harrell gets the D-League tour his first year.  He can work on fundamentals and improving his 3 point shooting.  We don't have that much roster space and we currently have only 4 guards on the roster (Harden, Prigioni, Johnson, and Brewer).

Meanwhile, we've got Howard, Motie, Jones, Capela, Papanikolaou, and Dorsey plus the assumption that Josh Smith is returning.  Add Dekker and Harrell to that group and we have 9 front court players.  Take Ariza and Brewer and we are at 11 players.  I can't imagine us heading into the season with that kind of roster imbalance.

I'm growing weary of these rumors about the Rockets' interest in LMA and Love.  I'm just not buying it.  I guess we'll find out soon enough  B)

#17 Davealicious

Davealicious

• Members
                • Pip
                • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

Here I sit.  The morning after....trying to talk myself into being excited about Sam Dekker.  Sure, his Draftexpress profile reads well.  It's little surprise that it reads almost identical to Mr. Chandler Parsons' profile.  There are minor differences, but we basically just got Parsons 2.0.  OK, that's good.  So why am I not excited?

Looking at the next 12 or so picks, Morey has stuck his neck out to draft this guy.  Players like Grant, Jones, Looney, Portis, and others could very well come back to haunt us.  Surely he sees a winner in Dekker.  Right?   :unsure:

As others have noted, this sends a clear signal that either Llull or a trade is coming.  Harden asked for one thing this off season and I can't see Morey ignoring that.  I'm actually ok with Rubio--I am well aware of his shooting woes, but with the likes of Harden, Ariza, Motie, and Howard he should have a profound effect on the offense in getting them lots of high percentage looks.

As for Harrell--I love it.  He was on my wish list.  He may not be done growing as he grew over an inch from age 19-21.  Another little growth spurt would be nice.  He's basically the opposite of Dekker in every way.  Insane athleticism, 6' 7" with a 7' 4" wingspan, but without much of a skillset to work with.  Perhaps the plan is to splice the two together and create one awesome player.  :D

Given our depth up front I imagine Harrell gets the D-League tour his first year.  He can work on fundamentals and improving his 3 point shooting.  We don't have that much roster space and we currently have only 4 guards on the roster (Harden, Prigioni, Johnson, and Brewer).

Meanwhile, we've got Howard, Motie, Jones, Capela, Papanikolaou, and Dorsey plus the assumption that Josh Smith is returning.  Add Dekker and Harrell to that group and we have 9 front court players.  Take Ariza and Brewer and we are at 11 players.  I can't imagine us heading into the season with that kind of roster imbalance.

I'm growing weary of these rumors about the Rockets' interest in LMA and Love.  I'm just not buying it.  I guess we'll find out soon enough  B)

I know it's a long offseason, but I'm very eager to see how FA shapes up, both in keeping our own and seeing who we might bring on/lose via S&T.  Even considering the draft, I'd like to see us keep Brewer, Bev, Smith, KJ, and possibly Terry (all at the right prices).  So I guess that's all of the FAs we have this offseason.  

I don't see us being major players for LMA and Love either--didn't Morey finally mention something along the lines of team chemistry?   It'd seem like we'd have to gut much of the supporting cast to make a big move.  But it's been done before, I suppose.  

If we re-sign all our FAs, I can see TJones out, cutting Prigs and Dorsey.  But Morey will be Morey and we'll see what he can do.  I think it's a key offseason (aren't they all?) for this team's championship window.  

#18 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 196 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:32 PM

Last night I was in that same don't know what to think state with Dekker. After watching some of his workouts, I really believe he has the ability to be a plus shooter from deep. Maybe not his first year, but I definitely think he has the ability to shoot around 38-42% during his time here. His form looks good 90% of the time, it is just inconsistent. That is something I believe the Rockets staff will be able to identify and fix. He also seems like he will be able to contribute year 1. He has the size and athleticism to be a very solid wing defender, and he knows how to work  to find open looks in an offense. I hate to continue to compare him to Parsons, but similar to Parsons first year here when he was purely a transition and slash type player. I mean there is a lot to be excited about with this kid. Maybe I am just trying to talk myself into it now that we have him.

Harrell is i steal where we got him. I kind of wanted to take a flyer on Joseph Young, but that was for my own selfish reasons, and not the smart move. He is someone I am very excited about, and could make losing TJones more palatable. 

We have a very odd roster right now. We desperately need help at guard. I'm sure Morey will find a way to address it, but I will honestly be pretty disappointed if it is just adding Lull. We will still have a really good team no doubt, but I don't see Lull being that effective in the NBA. As a backup sure, but not as a starter.

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,116 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Saw this article grading the guys who do mock drafts.  I thought it was pretty cool and I think it shines a pretty bright light on which sites are....let's just say better than some of the others.  Draftexpress has won the last 2 years.  LINK

Bleacher Report scored a 4.  That means out of 60 possible picks they got 4 correct.  Considering everyone knew the 1st pick that's not very good.

Chad Ford came in 2nd and, somewhat surprisingly, CBS had a couple of solid showings including a 3rd place finisher.

No, they did not have the Rockets taking Dekker.

#20 Willk

Willk

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 308 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

I am a bit sad now when the ever optimistic JG is a bit bummed. However, I think Morey made the correct move. I feel you get into trouble when you pick for "need" instead of picking the best player available. Dekker was easily the best player available. I do not think that Grant or Jones would have helped this year. Nick Johnson would help more than either one of those two. Real GM is reporting that Rodney Stuckey wants to sign with Houston. I would be ok with that move. Stuckey would be a good ball handler off of the bench/ spot starter. He averaged 12.6 PPG while only playing 26 minutes. He also shot 39% from 3. All good.

Back to Dekker, I doubt he plays much this year, but he does add another player that we can use when we play small ball. There are line-ups where you can put Ariza on the PG and have Dekker guard either the SF or SG. Dekker will bring scoring off of the bench. I will take Chandler Parsons lite type of production off of the bench. In any case, I think Morey did well yesterday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users