Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Do you need a superstar to win the title?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Obviously, this is a topic that's been beaten to death now but watching Memphis last night, I couldn't help but think how scary they looked...until they fell apart in the 4th with nowhere to turn while Chris Paul picked them apart at the other end with pinpoint passing.

Was that Detroit title in 2004 a fluke or can a team like Memphis break through?

I ask because, outside of the Dwight Howard miracle, if the Rockets don't plan on ever tanking (as stated in the Chronicle), I'm not sure how they'll ever get that superstar player. Superstars don't get traded often.

They can build a team as good as Memphis though, with fringe All-Stars. But would that ever be enough?

#2 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
    • 1,567 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

You answered this yourself by mentioning the 04 pistons. So yeah its possible, but since then there haven't been any starless champs, so the odds are clearly stacked against you. The Griz are much more solid than we are though. But their top prospect to become a star is Rudy Gay imo, and he's already 6 years in, so he's probably close to the top of his ceiling.

By the way, you tweeted last night that cp3 was better with chandler and west than he is with Jordan and griffin, and although the latter has more talent, he definitely had much better chemistry with chandler and west. Maybe they need an offseason and a year together before theyre legitimately contenders.

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

1. CP3 - the issue there is that Griffin can't shoot and doesn't have any offensive game aside from dunking. West was the perfect complement in the pick and roll because of his ability to hit that mid-range jumper. Chandler also did a much better job defensively than Jordan does.

2. As far as the Grizzlies, the depressing thing is that even if we assume you don't need a star, we're also pretty far away from the Grizzlies/Pistons model. The Pistons had 5 All-Stars and their defense itself constituted a superstar. The Grizzlies have Gay, Gasol, and Randolph as All-Star types, Conley as a very good point guard and Allen as an elite defender.

We currently have Dragic, who is the equivalent of Conley. Martin was supposed to be our Gay, but he's gone and who knows if we'll get anything back for him. Lee is our Mayo and Parsons is our Allen. Scola is our Randolph minus the rebounding. And we have no Marc Gasol. Not to mention Mayo is better than Lee.

So you're looking at having to add a Gasol and Gay, two All-Star types - not easy.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 338 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

On the Pistons,Ben Wallace was a Superstar on the defensive end-he shut down the lane and owned the glass. If you consider a Superstar only because of offensive contributions or one who does it on both ends then the Pistons are the ONE example of not having one and winning.

Even if we say the Pistons didn't have a Superstar,doesn't that rather prove the point about needing one? They're the one team people point to in the last 20 odd years of winning w/out one. If 95% of the titles go to teams with a Superstar I know what I'd want to see on my team.
          And consider the Pistons went to the Eastern Conference Finals 6 straight yrs. They were a team that played great defense,had a well-balanced offense,"played the right way",were good enough to contend for the Finals every yr for 6 straight yrs,yet only made it to the Finals twice and have just one Title to show for it.

#5 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 182 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

There's an old adage in basketball that the team with the best player tends to win. When it comes to championships, during my lifetime as a fan (starting around '94), that's been true far more often than not (Hakeem, Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Dirk (who played better than anyone else in that series) vs. the '04 Pistons and the '08 Celtics).

I maintain the same stance I've had since we missed the playoffs last season: The Rockets must do whatever's necessary to acquire that centerpiece. It's the right move even if that player is someone like Howard who opts to leave after one season here. It's the right move because it gives you a chance to either lure more talent or become successful with that piece. It makes the team and city (more) relevant. If he leaves and we get nothing back, hell, we're back to where we are now, basically: a fringe lottery team with no real path to a championship as currently constituted.

You're not risking anything by selling the farm for a star player because we're not even a playoff team. The farm we'd be selling has virtually no longterm value. We're not risking anything. I'd wager Morey could start from nothing and construct a 9th-place team at almost any given time. Where we are now is nothing to aspire to. We must make changes.

#6 coach_fletch

coach_fletch

• Members
            • Pip
            • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

The Rockets will have enough to sign any two elite players that would come next season. They will have 2 first round picks who hopefully will at least be able to contribute. Unless they strike gold with a player no one else (at least 14 other teams) believed would be an impact player.

I believe it is obviously easier to win a championship with elite players than not. Clearly they are outstanding in many aspects of the game. They are physical specimens. Make those around them better. Get the benefit of the "elite player" calls. But many of the players who have the elite IMAGE may not be winners. Several of them have question marks or dings in their armor so to speak.

While he is not a free agent Carmelo Anthony for example can score with the best of them but he does not seem to me to be a team player. He does not make those around him better.

Dwight Howard is proving he is more worried about the perception of his calling the shots than he is about his teammates. He has proved that over and over again throughout the season. He thinks that having the best player moniker means he should be calling the shots rather than having the respect of the front office so they will ask his opinion without him having to prove something. He is out of control and looks like a spoiled brat.

I enjoyed watching the Rockets play this season because they played team ball. Winning a championship without a superstar means that perfect synergy must exist. The whole was truly better than the sum of the parts in the Pistons case. And it was significantly better. Their parts all fit perfectly including their bench. The Rockets will need to have some all-star talent to make this happen. I believe Morey could get this done but this team comes up short of that in its current construction.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

we need a star period. the pistons may have won, but I agree with Lyfestyle (95% of all championships come through centerpiece players). this is why we have trouble closing games. we don't have a player that the other team ca not shut down. that piston's team didn't have a star, but it did have big shot people. players who when a game was on the line you could depend on to score more often than not.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 coach_fletch

coach_fletch

• Members
              • Pip
              • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

But you need the right star. A true star otherwise you are selling the farm and still won't win AND you will be in salary cap hades. Carmelo may get you to the playoffs but he will need a true leader with him to win a championship. Dallas had one superstar and won a championship. Houston had one superstar and won two championships.

I am in agreement that having an elite player or two would make the pathway much easier and more likely and if they are going to try to go the SYNERGISTIC ROUTE they will need some All-Stars who are not currently on this team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users