Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Is Eric Gordon a star?

financial evaluations

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:41 AM

blakecouey:
I'm with you on mayo, but on KG no. I like lee,but between him and parsons we are not getting enough points from these positions. since parsons appears to be the better defender at this point I say upgrade sg. I know everyone wants a star, but if we get one and he is a guard he won't upgrade this team that much. you can not win in the nba without good big men period. they don't have to be stars, but they do have to be good. the only star that may become available that would make sense for us to chase all in is howard, but I'm like you. we are going to have to give orlando something to get him which may leave us needing mayo. I say if we can't get howard then sign mayo,lee and dragic and look to move up in the draft. I don't see many others stars that would be worth chasing if the rockets want championships and not just playoff appearances.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#22 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

That was my point, a better team from top to bottom is better than two stars are nothing in between, in that case if the stars don't produce in a game you get blown out. I continue to mention KG only because I think he would provide a good experience to the team, being to multiple finals and winning a championship. I wouldn't overpay for that, because there are other younger players out there with the same experience, but few that have the talent/Passion KG can still bring to a team. Ray Allen is another(it pains me to mention all these Boston guys but they're up in FA..) who wouldnt be quite as good an option as we already have Bud, Ra is better still but the money to upgrade ratio wouldnt be as appealing.

#23 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

It comes from the FACT that if we do intend on finding a star, of which there arent many available, we will be giving up either starters, or quality depth in most if not all of our positions.

Good point, I see what you mean.

But I worry about overpaying. I like Mayo a lot and think he's a really good player. But he's going to get paid this summer - atleast $5million. I just feel like we can find someone for similar production in the draft at a much cheaper cost and not having to blow all of our cap room.

Now if we actually lock in Dwight Howard, then I'm fine with overpaying for established talent, because the framework is already set. But until we lock someone in, the team has to stay flexible.

#24 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,567 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Sure we can get someone cheaper in the draft, but they're unproven in the NBA, and is say 4 years of consistent play is worth the extra cap space. But anyone we draft needs playing time, and is Lee doing bad enough to warrant the rookie to get adequate playing time? Probably not, which may lead to another Marcus Morris type year, which helps neither the rookie nor the Rockets. Starting talent can be found in the draft but will it be available and will it give us the immediate help we need? At 14/16 I don't know if its still there, and trading is trading up worth it qhen we can address it at(maybe/approximately) 5m/yr with a solid reputation. And for the people who may say Mayo isn't a starter as their defense against him, my guess is he isn't starting because Memphis is a defense first team and Tony Allen is obviously a better defender.

#25 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Good point, I see what you mean. But I worry about overpaying. I like Mayo a lot and think he's a really good player. But he's going to get paid this summer - atleast $5million. I just feel like we can find someone for similar production in the draft at a much cheaper cost and not having to blow all of our cap room. Now if we actually lock in Dwight Howard, then I'm fine with overpaying for established talent, because the framework is already set. But until we lock someone in, the team has to stay flexible.

if howard isn't on the market then what good is cap flexibility. even if we pay mayo 8 mil per its still cheaper than martin by 5 mil per. (IMO)there are not any other players in FA or possibly trade targets that propel us to contenders. I agree with blakecouey. if howards not available we should look at the draft for improvement. I believe good talent is going to be available when our picks come up (if we are unable to move up). any deals we do for star players you can best believe martin will be part of it. his contract alone is enough cap relief for a team to bite on. even with martin on the books we are still 18 mil under the cap. so I don't think its a bad idea to spend a little of it on mayo.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#26 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

So you guys would drop Courtney Lee and sign Mayo or keep both? (Assuming Mayo gets $8million).

#27 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

One big benefit to Mayo is that he can also play backup point guard, something Lee couldn't do very well.

#28 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,308 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

I agree OJ would be an upgrade but Huq is right in saying that he is a piece that is easily attainable by a skilled GM like Morey, those pieces will be aquired at the right time with whatever financial flexibility is available at that time, right now the priorities include finding a difference maker (pieces will be added later) and drafting the right players (bigs, real ones not undersized ones) or using the draft picks to get that difference maker...
            How sweet it is!

#29 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 338 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Regarding Mayo,I'd vote no.
              He plays PG as well as Lee,which isn't saying much. Memphis has Gay,who can get a shot any time he wants and can dump it in to Randolph or Gasol,whereas Lee doesn't have those options. Both can defend PGs,but neither can run an offense where they have to make something happen.
              Every year Memphis tries to make Mayo the back-up PG and each year they give up.
              Mayo came into the League incredibly hyped and that hype is still attached to his name despite him doing nothing to deserve it.
              Mayo is a good 3pt shooter who can defend. That's about it. He can't take his man off the dribble,he can't create shots for himself,he's Courtney Lee. I fail to see why you'd replace Lee w/the same player when you know Lee has excellent chemistry w/the rest of the Rockets. And both players want to start,will get FA offers from teams that need starters,so the idea that they'd both sign w/Houston is on the same order of likelihood as me having a threesome w/Jessica Alba and Megan Fox.

There are several players in this Draft who appear to have similar skill sets as Lee and Mayo. Getting a duplicate skillset for several million a yr less,w/a young player who doesn't have his ceiling defined looks pretty darn good. Esp since the team can let the rookie develop his first yr as the team isn't a Final's team unless they get a healthy Dwight Howard. And in that event,you're going to need cheap players to fill out roster.

#30 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,308 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Completely agree with your breakdown of OJ Mayo, debating whether the Rockets should bring a player like him into the fold right now is really irrelevant, I mean if you want debate Mayo for entertainment that's cool but it is just a small (very interchangeable) piece of the puzzle, these Mayo level type players are plan C's that we know very well Morey can find on the trash heap and in second rounds, Morey's top priority is a Gordon level type player that may have risks and will impact the flexibility of getting those pieces to finish the puzzle...
              How sweet it is!

#31 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
              • 1,567 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

I would attempt to keep both, Lee has value as a defender and Mayo more as an offensive threat, together you have the option you need for any specific point of the game.
                Disagree to a lot of that Stephen. I'll start with the fact that mayo and lee aren't point guards, why is everyone obsessed with players that can play dual positions? Id rather them play one spot well than two spots ineffectively in one or the other. Players that can play two roles are a premium, but if they can do both well they likely wont be available.
                Second, the two are unalike, Mayo is a better offensive talent, who was cut off at the knees the year he should've blossomed, since then he has been in a reserve role, and Lee is a defensive threat who also deserves a chance to start, for an entire season.
                Thirdly, similar talents in the draft? Such as? And again, the ceiling hasn't been truly defined for Mayo, and likely for Lee either.
                We also spoke that even if we got Dwight we would have the cap flexibility to get several mid priced players, not just cheap ones as your allowed to fill your roster with minimums if needed.

Rahat stop going up on Mayos price! You started with 5m, tweeted 7, now youre at 8 lol. If he's at 5 no way we pass it, 8 is where id look for other options.

#32 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                • 1,567 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Completely agree with your breakdown of OJ Mayo, debating whether the Rockets should bring a player like him into the fold right now is really irrelevant, I mean if you want debate Mayo for entertainment that's cool but it is just a small (very interchangeable) piece of the puzzle, these Mayo level type players are plan C's that we know very well Morey can find on the trash heap and in second rounds, Morey's top priority is a Gordon level type player that may have risks and will impact the flexibility of getting those pieces to finish the puzzle...

Don't get me wrong Id be thrilled to have Gordon in my team, but the fact is he is unreliable, and there is nothing to justify throwing twice the money at him than Mayo, who isn't a C class player by the way. I'll take Mayo at 18/4/3 82 games a year over Gordons 20/5/5(don't have stats right infront of me but should be close) for 50 games a year. Unreliable players can just as easily cost a team a championship as they can get them one.

#33 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,308 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

First of all I am not debating unreliable players nor am I for pursuing Gordon (too injury prone and not quite the max contract game changer we need), secondly with regards to Mayo I never said he was a C class level player, what I actually wrote was that assembling players of his caliber is probably more of a plan C scenario on the level of priorities for Morey ( I mean we know very well, maybe all to well that Morey can attain very efficient second tier players) and really what I am debating is that at the point the Rockets organization is at right now the priority, with urgency, should be plan A because plan B and plan C will be handled after plan A presents itself...
                  How sweet it is!

#34 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                  • 1,567 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

I apologize I misread your statement. In regards to it being a plan c, how do you figure? At the risk of sounding dense, plan a b c etc should all be, put the most competitive team on the court every single night. Our first step/plan should be dwight, duh, but if that fails we will find someone else to fill that role, and then were even more needy of upgrades at other positions, and for the sake of saying it if we dont land dwight we won't be landing deron, the only superstar free agent.

#35 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,308 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Nah, it's cool, I think we pretty much agree we are just breaking down different parts of the future plan going forward I think and as far as acquiring a super star besides Howard or Williams well you never know what Morey has up his sleeve, most of his trades have not been that predictable so we will see what unfolds, I trust that Morey will swing for the fences if not during the off season at least by the trading deadline next season...
                    How sweet it is!

#36 coach_fletch

coach_fletch

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

There is a reason Mayo lost his starting spot for Memphis. Remember he has had some off the court problems and I think they are keeping pressure off of him so he can be comfortable. He is a very good bench player.

Original Post: Gordon scares me because of his injury issues. Just below an "the superstar" player when healthy. it may also mean he is more of a team player.

The Rockets will have a hard time convincing players to come in the current NBA climate because the guys are trying to play together in glamour cities. That is why I hope San Antonio or OKC win the title this season. I don't like the whole buddy-buddy come play with me over here mentality. Reminds me of the kid who cannot win on his own at the play ground. Convinces the good kids to play with him so after they stay on the court a while he can say, "Man WE ran that court today."

#37 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                      • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

I hope it doesn't take til the trade deadline next season, at least if its in the offseason there are other options than d-leaguers and free agents that have been passed over/picked over by 29 other teams to fill the holes we may be left with after a trade.

#38 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,125 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

blakecouey:
                        where did all these mayo haters come from. mayo is a good option for us even if we don't get howard. I agree with you. why can't we keep lee and sign mayo. lee doesn't have a choice he's restricted. I hear all these people talking about this player or that player not accepting a backup role. bottom line is when they sign the rockets can do what they want to with them. the point you made on gordon eariler in reguards to him only getting about 50 games a year hit the nail right on the head. even if we did get gordon he wouldn't upgrade this team that much. we are getting good guard play now. our problem isn't bad guard play, its bad big man play, and the addition of gordon or mayo isn't going to fix that. the reason I sugest mayo is so we can use our draft picks on bigs.

#39 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                        • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

Agreed. A big is our priority, but we will have room left over, especially if we can't get howard and are forced to draft one. The draft is a good way to imrpove a team, but people need to realize these guys are rookies and havent played with/against players of this caliber until this point, so you always have a chance of a bust, see hasheem thabeet. Yes i know thabeet was drafted as a project, but how's that worked out. My point is, you can do a lot worse than Mayo(and Lee) in the draft, and if youve got the cash to avoid that mistake shouldnt you? Morey is great at evaluating talent, I trust him in the draft, but a solid player is hard to pass up in my opinion, and the fact that it hurts a team in our conference only helps us.

#40 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • 4,125 posts
                          • Locationhouston

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Agreed. A big is our priority, but we will have room left over, especially if we can't get howard and are forced to draft one. The draft is a good way to imrpove a team, but people need to realize these guys are rookies and havent played with/against players of this caliber until this point, so you always have a chance of a bust, see hasheem thabeet. Yes i know thabeet was drafted as a project, but how's that worked out. My point is, you can do a lot worse than Mayo(and Lee) in the draft, and if youve got the cash to avoid that mistake shouldnt you? Morey is great at evaluating talent, I trust him in the draft, but a solid player is hard to pass up in my opinion, and the fact that it hurts a team in our conference only helps us.

you and I think alike. you must be picking up on my brain waves or something. time for me to put my metal hat on :D about the draft, what do you think about the available bigs. I was reading a post by Rahat eariler stating that portland may be willing to move their draft pick. if so, could provide chance for rockets to move up, but is their pick going to be high enough for us to get a star level prospect big?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users