Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/

Photo

How much do you really love Terrence Jones?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

I have a theory that irks a good buddy of mine. He is the biggest Terrence Jones fan out there. Thinks he's new David West; a future Simmons "Dark Alley" fixture.

But i see something different. I see...LeBrons future muscle.

What would you think of this sign and trade: Jones, Brewer, Papa, New Orleans pick(s) and cap filler for Kevin Love.

I'm obviously assuming that Love is as miserable as LeBrons twitter feed implies. Also, Tristan Thompson is up for a new deal, and he's with LeBrons agency, so he's getting Cleveland dollars. And lots of them. They might need a cheap PF to keep from paying 2 non-centers 25-30 million combined.

And I can't imagine Love just walking away from Cleveland. Too many wink-wink, under-the-table handshakes happened when LeBron traded Andrew Wiggins. Love has to go for something. Maybe they don't love Jones and it would take more (Capela?), I don't know.

But what I do know is that Morey has said multiple times that a third star is his top objective, and I think Jones is his ace in the hole. He's got one more season of cheap labor, but will become a free agent right when the cap sky-rockets. If he goes for 15 and 9 next season, he could cost a fortune. Now, D-Mo's achey back could make you wary of dumping a good big, but if Josh Smith (a lock for the mid-level exception) wants to stay, do you really need Jones?

Losing Brewer hurts, but Cleveland is going to need to replace Gumby Shumpert, a FA, and we need Brewers salary (5mil) to make a trade work. Too much sense for both sides there. And besides, isn't that why we got McDaniels?

I know it's easy to dump on Love right now, but I'm not overreacting to this season. He's ones season removed from 26 and 14. Plus, There are maybe one or two combinations of players' skill sets that fit as beautifully as Beard, Love and Dwight.

Thoughts, questions, wildly harsh and personal criticisms...?

#2 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 94 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

The cap numbers work. All payers are on pay roll for next season.

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=maxebvm

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,123 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

Hmmmm, I am against this.  We lose 5 players (including 2 key rotation players) while adding $2M in salary.  I still have lots of questions about Kevin Love's "star" status particularly on the defensive end.  As far as the salary cap goes this limits us even more than we already were going to be while requiring us to find more cheap talent (which we had, but gave away).

No.  We have Jones, Motie, Smith, and Papa who can all play the 4.  Meanwhile, we are looking at Beverley, Terry, Brewer and Johnson as our guards beside Harden.  Re-signing McDaniels is not a lock so I don't count him, but if we want to, it will cost more than the minimum.  The point is, we have talent at the 4.  We have a serious lack of talented depth at the guard position.  We need a guy like Wesley Matthews.  He is a B+ player on both ends.  We need 2 of those guys.  I can live with keeping Bev with the $1.1M qualifying offer--that is still a great value.  I like Jason Terry a lot, but the defense is a real problem when he is forced to start.

When healthy, our group of big men is fine.  Dwight, Motie, Dorsey, and Capela is pretty solid moving forward assuming Capela is going to develop.

I have an alternative proposal.  Brewer, Prigioni, and the Pellies Pick for.....Brandon Jennings!!!  I know and part of me agrees.  Jennings has his foibles, but I think he could flourish here playing with this collection of talent.  He has quietly been playing very, very well.  He's got his shooting efficiency and turnovers under control.  Since Detroit has decided Reggie Jackson is their guy there is little chance they want to keep an $8M back-up PG.  They need a SF like Brewer and the Pellies pick (even if it is out of the lottery) is nice.

It's as far-fetched as anything else, but I think it helps us more while taking less off the table.  We can use the remaining money to retain Smith and McDaniels and we are in business.

#4 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 473 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:27 PM

i'd go after corey joesph from the spurs. Pellies pick plus kostas would i think get it done. Kostas fits their foreign scheme and would just take off in their offense with the cutting and shooting imo. He'd basically fill a bit of the manu role at sf instead of sg. We'd get in Joesph an above avg 3pt shooter (36 percent and climbing each year) with good scoring, passing and defensive skills. Also knows how to play within a system and with a role (key to play next to harden). And he's young (23) and is the 3rd pg on the roster (behind Mills and Parker) so should be gettable. Honestly, we might be able to get him for the pellies pick and like prig or johnson.

Edited by Losthief, 10 April 2015 - 11:27 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#5 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 90 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:36 AM

I still think Love is an All Star and agree that his strengths/weaknesses fit snuggly with Harden and Howard's.

Brandon Jennings can't play without the ball from what I've seen. I don't like his fit with James.

If we went point guard, I'd see if we could get Tim Hardaway as payment for taking Jose Calderon off the Knicks hands. Calderon can still contribute to a winner, he just makes so much money. But that shot though....

Edited by Mitchell Felker, 11 April 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#6 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 94 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:46 AM

Beverley and terry are free agents, and Bev is due a pretty substantial raise. Jennings is a sixth man that doesn't realize it yet. I don't think we need any of them because the rumor is that Sergio Llull is coming over this summer (yay)

I like Love because he does things no other power forward can do (excuse the all caps) WHEN USED CORRECTLY.
          There's nothing to question about 26 and 14. That happened and not even Blake Griffin has that in him.
          The high pick and roll with beard and love would be devastating. Plus, Love can get his own shot when things break down. Only Harden and Motiejunas can do that currently.

It is a lot of bit pieces, but Darly Morey specializes in digging up bit pieces. And like Simmons always says, you give up a handful of quarters, nickels and dimes for a dollar everytime. Not to mention, it'd be a buy low opportunity for a true all star.

#7 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,290 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:45 AM

You could sell me on love but I do thin guard/wing play is a bigger weakness than a small upgrade from jones to love, Jennings should come much cheaper, If they keep Jackson BJ has to go and not many teams are looking for an average pg coming off an achillies tear.  I'd rather see them keep the pick and hit FA for another guard. Matthews would be perfect if he's still the same guy, it will be interesting to see how portland handles his free agency. Rodney stucky has had a nice year at indy, jared dudley, gerald green, a guy like mo will would be a nice replacement for jet. Joeseph, Kris middleton and Will barton are interesting rfa. Afflalo and eric gordon has a player option. Lull might be good but don't like putting all our eggs in that basket. 

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,123 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:47 AM

According to this website, Houston has a qualifying offer they can use on Bev at $1.18M for next season.  Is that incorrect because I keep seeing people say Bev is a free agent?

I disagree about Jennings.  I think he can play off the ball while also alleviating some of the burden Harden bears running the offense.  I also think he is a valid starting PG.  Check out his stats.  Since Van Gundy set him straight he has put up very good numbers.

I would not trade for Joseph and he doesn't move the needle much for me.

#9 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,290 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:02 AM

Espn has Bev as a restricted free agent.

#10 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 671 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:04 AM

We have Dmo and Jones at 4 and both of them are better overall players IMO because of D. Love is a great offensive player, but the upgrade is not that big and DMo can also play the 5. If we didn't have 2 superstars and 2 budding pf stars I would make that deal for a big star. But if Love is going to play third fiddle its not a great way to spend the max on him. The upgrade on PG can be much greater for a lot less money.

#11 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 166 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

I don't hate it... Some of it for me depends on what Smith decides to do. I'd be okay with giving up some frontcourt depth in a trade, but Smith leaving might tip the scales beyond comfort.

Love could co-exist next to Howard on D to make a not-minus defensive frontcourt combo. And on the other end, he could be a beast. Plain and simple, Cleveland has not been using him in a way that maximizes his abilities, hence, the entire reason everyone's talking about him leaving.

I think our biggest hindrance is our myopic offense. We have no one else who can consistently create a good shot for themselves (save DMo) or anyone else. Our team defense has significantly improved this year, and I think Love might be able to fit in and not make too big of a dent.

But then again, can we help our myopic offense by getting someone else who won't cost us all that depth? I would think probably, particularly some guards (like people are saying). But again, I don't hate it.

#12 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 473 posts
                  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

I would not trade for Joseph and he doesn't move the needle much for me.

any particular reason for this?

He's great (59 percent) in the restricted area. And a above average 3pt shooter (36 percent) and shoots 40 percent on catch and shoot 3s. 

Looking at his time spent as a starter this year his defensive rating (14 games at 35 min a game) he falls btwn John Wall and Chris Paul, ahead of Bev, Dragic, etc. (he's bench rtg is ahead of even John Wall, but thats cause of getting play against back ups i'd imagine)>

He's other stats as a starter were 13.2 pts, 3.6 ast, 4.5 rbs with 44.4 3pt, 56 2pt, and 75 pt ft shooting with 1.6 TO

Goran dragic was 16.4 pts, 4.4 ast, 3.5 rbs with 35 3pt, 50 2pt, and 77 pt ft shooting with 2.2 TO

Your guy Jennings was 15.4 pts, 6.6 ast, 2.5 rbs with 36 3pt, 40 2pt, and 84 pt ft shooting with 2.2 TO

(though to be fair in 5 less min. per game (29 min/game) than dragic and starter-Joesph(34 min per game).

Bev was 10 pts, 3.4 asts, 4.2 rbs, 35 3pt, 38 2pt, and 76 pt ft shooting with 1.5 TO in 31 min a game.

Now I'm not saying he is the next chris paul or anything...but if he can be had for a pick and fluff (versus the cost of good rotation players for jennings/dragic)....you get bev like rebounding and lack of TO (his best stats) combined with better shooting than all 3 (last two years Joesph has been in the 80s for FT no reason to think he can't bounce back to that too), and the lower amount of points is because his usage rate/shot attempts is lower. Now he's not as good as a assister as those other 3 (spurs system does downplay pg assists though), but he's a better defender (even better when he was off the bench than starting, but even just as a starter was the best of the 3). Also, harden will do most of the assisting in our offense.

*All stats from nba.com stats splits for starting games.

Edited by Losthief, 13 April 2015 - 06:31 AM.

LoSTHieF

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,123 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

any particular reason for this?

He's great (59 percent) in the restricted area. And a above average 3pt shooter (36 percent) and shoots 40 percent on catch and shoot 3s. 

Looking at his time spent as a starter this year his defensive rating (14 games at 35 min a game) he falls btwn John Wall and Chris Paul, ahead of Bev, Dragic, etc. (he's bench rtg is ahead of even John Wall, but thats cause of getting play against back ups i'd imagine)>

He's other stats as a starter were 13.2 pts, 3.6 ast, 4.5 rbs with 44.4 3pt, 56 2pt, and 75 pt ft shooting with 1.6 TO

Goran dragic was 16.4 pts, 4.4 ast, 3.5 rbs with 35 3pt, 50 2pt, and 77 pt ft shooting with 2.2 TO

Your guy Jennings was 15.4 pts, 6.6 ast, 2.5 rbs with 36 3pt, 40 2pt, and 84 pt ft shooting with 2.2 TO

(though to be fair in 5 less min. per game (29 min/game) than dragic and starter-Joesph(34 min per game).

Bev was 10 pts, 3.4 asts, 4.2 rbs, 35 3pt, 38 2pt, and 76 pt ft shooting with 1.5 TO in 31 min a game.

Now I'm not saying he is the next chris paul or anything...but if he can be had for a pick and fluff (versus the cost of good rotation players for jennings/dragic)....you get bev like rebounding and lack of TO (his best stats) combined with better shooting than all 3 (last two years Joesph has been in the 80s for FT no reason to think he can't bounce back to that too), and the lower amount of points is because his usage rate/shot attempts is lower. Now he's not as good as a assister as those other 3 (spurs system does downplay pg assists though), but he's a better defender (even better when he was off the bench than starting, but even just as a starter was the best of the 3). Also, harden will do most of the assisting in our offense.

*All stats from nba.com stats splits for starting games.

You hit the nail on the head--"if he can be had for a pick and fluff".  This isn't Sacramento or New York.  It's San Antonio.  This means two things.  First, they aren't going to give him away (especially if he is as good as you think he is).  Two, most likely he is not as good as you think he is because he plays for San Antonio.  100% guaranteed playing with 3 future hall of famers, an up-and-coming star, and a solid supporting cast along with a well-established system makes any player look better.

On the other hand, Jennings has played for some of the worst coaches the league has had over the last few years and with poorly constructed rosters.  SVG had started to get the best out of him before the injury.

Those comparison stats don't tell the whole story.

Jennings' per36 numbers are 19.4 and 8.3 with 2.8 turnovers.  Jennings has a usg% of 26.3 which means he can handle being the focal point of the offense (which matters and is a big part of what we are looking for...someone who can shoulder some of the burden).  Jennings also shoots a blistering 52% on corner 3's....which is nice for a team like ours.

Joseph, on a per36 basis, 13.4 and 4.7 with 1.6 turnovers.  His usg% is 17.0 which means he does not lead the offense and is more of a role player.  We can get role players anywhere--I am looking at this as getting an actual upgrade not plugging a hole.  Jennings is a creator who sports a 40.0 assist% (meaning he generates an assist on 40% of the plays he is involved in).  Joseph sits at 19.7 on the assist%.

Their turnover% is nearly identical.  Jennings is at 12.9 and Joseph is at 12.1.

Like Josh Smith, Jennings shoots a lot of mid-range shots.  Coming here, that would be eliminated from his game increasing his efficiency.  He would also be surrounded by better players.  He would take a lot of pressure off of Harden and playing alongside Harden would do the same for him.  I think it would be a solid move, but I understand why people disagree.

Joseph is a nice player, but I don't think he is the answer at all.  If he is the answer then San Antonio is not likely to part with him.

Detroit is not in a good bargaining position as he is on an expiring deal next season and keeping him there will not be good for the team.  Jennings is every bit the secondary creator we need when defenses focus in on Harden as he excels at getting to the rim and creating for others plus he has a reliable 3 point shot.

As for Dragic, he is looking for a max money.  I will be surprised if Morey gives him max money.  

#14 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 473 posts
                  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

More than fair enough and i agree with you that Jennings is a better player right now for sure (and a much, much better creator). I'm just not sure he's that much better than Joseph will be in 2 more years (age 25 season) to be worth the price he's likely to take. Just my opinion, I feel like defense is harder to learn than offense in the NBA and Joesph is ahead in that department. I would be more than happy with Jennings...and the only reason I see Joesph as gettable for a pick and filler is cause he's entering his last year (next year w/ a qualifying offer of 3 mil) of his contract and he's the 3rd pg in the rotation. (Mills is signed through like 2017 or something).

I only brought up Dragic because of how much we chased him earlier, not because I think we have a chance at getting him, i agree he's not worth the max (even the lower max of the non-jump year this will be). 

Also we still have sergio llull and supposedly he's looking at coming over next year and I could see Joesph fitting in as the 3rd guard. Would Llull still come over if we have Jennings as the starter and Llull has to play as the 3rd gaurd? I don't know....then again if we got Jennings for prig, pick, and brewer would it matter if Llull came at all....interesting questions I don't know the answer to.

p.s. The guy i really want (and think has a chance to be really good) is Brandon Knight (i think you brought him up before/in the past), but I don't see phoenix letting him go.

Edited by Losthief, 13 April 2015 - 07:04 PM.

LoSTHieF

#15 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,179 posts
                  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

I don't really want to talk about the off-season before the current one is in the bag, but I reckon a lot of Morey's moves over the summer will be predicated on whether Smith resigns. I'm hopeful that he will (because I think the four-man front-court we have when healthy is excellent), but if he goes elsewhere I would imagine there'll be a lot more shopping for Morey to do.

ST

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,123 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

More than fair enough and i agree with you that Jennings is a better player right now for sure (and a much, much better creator). I'm just not sure he's that much better than Joseph will be in 2 more years (age 25 season) to be worth the price he's likely to take. Just my opinion, I feel like defense is harder to learn than offense in the NBA and Joesph is ahead in that department. I would be more than happy with Jennings...and the only reason I see Joesph as gettable for a pick and filler is cause he's entering his last year (next year w/ a qualifying offer of 3 mil) of his contract and he's the 3rd pg in the rotation. (Mills is signed through like 2017 or something).

I only brought up Dragic because of how much we chased him earlier, not because I think we have a chance at getting him, i agree he's not worth the max (even the lower max of the non-jump year this will be). 

Also we still have sergio llull and supposedly he's looking at coming over next year and I could see Joesph fitting in as the 3rd guard. Would Llull still come over if we have Jennings as the starter and Llull has to play as the 3rd gaurd? I don't know....then again if we got Jennings for prig, pick, and brewer would it matter if Llull came at all....interesting questions I don't know the answer to.

p.s. The guy i really want (and think has a chance to be really good) is Brandon Knight (i think you brought him up before/in the past), but I don't see phoenix letting him go.

Yeah, Knight is very intriguing.  Phoenix just spent assets for him so I presume they intend to exercise his $5M option--would be amazed if they don't.  Probably would have cost us D-Mo (or Capela), Nick Johnson, and the Pellies pick....If it was Capela and not D-Mo I think I would like that deal.  I'm curious where Morey was on that one as I am sure he was aware Knight was available.

Llull....I might fall out of my chair if I ever hear the official announcement that he is coming over.  It seems he wants to be the featured PG on a good team and won't come over until that is the case.  Part of me doesn't like him for that reason....sounds a bit like a prima donna.  I say let him be the big fish in Spain's pond.  If he does come then that answers some questions for us.

I have to give full disclosure on Cory Joseph.  I am biased against him.  He is a member of the Avery Bradley All-Stars.  What's that?  It's what I call the far too long list of highly touted players that came to the University of Texas to play ball, did absolutely nothing while here, left after 1 season, and then decided to be good basketball players in the pros.  Other members include Tristan Thompson, Myck Kabongo (except for the good part), the newly departed Miles Austin, and Daniel Gibson gets in solely because he sucked for 2 years before leaving.

I have a personal vendetta against them all and refuse to root for them so having one on the Rockets would be difficult for me.  I don't know how good Joseph will get, but my best guess would be about the same type of player Avery Bradley is.  Good defense.  Good shooting.  That's about it.  Basically, Patrick Beverley who we already have.

If San Antonio likes Mills more than Joseph then that is another red flag for me.  Mills is OK.  He is signed through 2017 but on a very cap-friendly $3.5M deal.

I like Jennings' ability to completely erupt on offense.  The game before he got injured he put up 24 points and 21 assists with just 2 turnovers. :o   Prior to that he had put up 34 & 10, 20 & 11, and so on.  He is a legit dual threat on offense.  All of that playing as the focal point of the offense.  Here, playing against opponents' second best defenders should make him look all the better.  Much like Dragic, I think the offensive boost negates the defensive loss.

This all goes back to the original question about trading for Love.  I'd much prefer to upgrade PG (sorry Bev) and do so by adding a high end playmaker/scorer which Jennings most definitely is.  I have said before that playing Smith and Jennings together may not be a good idea because both have such high variance so part of me thinks it's a bad idea, but after seeing how he has improved I think it would be fine.

Monta Ellis will likely opt out and go for a big contract this Summer.  That is very interesting.  A 1-2 punch of Ellis/Harden outside with Dwight, Jones, Smith, and Motie inside sounds amazing.  I don't think we can afford to sign him outright since he will likely get around $12-$14M.  Probably not realistic...nevermind.

I keep wondering if Morey might bring Lin back.  His turnovers are still too high, but he gets to the rim, can finish, draw fouls, and shoots above average from deep and can run the offense when Harden sits.  I will definitely be curious to see where he winds up because I don't think he is staying in LA.

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,123 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:31 PM

I don't really want to talk about the off-season before the current one is in the bag, but I reckon a lot of Morey's moves over the summer will be predicated on whether Smith resigns. I'm hopeful that he will (because I think the four-man front-court we have when healthy is excellent), but if he goes elsewhere I would imagine there'll be a lot more shopping for Morey to do.

ST

Agreed and agreed.  I think Smith will re-sign (maybe the bi-annual exception?  Not sure if that is available...) because he is in a very good place.  A team that supports him doing "Josh Smith Things", gets to live out the dream of playing with Dwight, has a mega-star sidekick, and will be on a legit contender for the foreseeable future.  I just can't imagine him going elsewhere unless someone offers him a max deal and I feel confident that isn't happening.

#18 majik19

majik19

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 267 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

I have to give full disclosure on Cory Joseph.  I am biased against him.  He is a member of the Avery Bradley All-Stars.  What's that?  It's what I call the far too long list of highly touted players that came to the University of Texas to play ball, did absolutely nothing while here, left after 1 season, and then decided to be good basketball players in the pros.  Other members include Tristan Thompson, Myck Kabongo (except for the good part), the newly departed Miles Austin, and Daniel Gibson gets in solely because he sucked for 2 years before leaving.

You know the common thread here? Rick. Barnes. Great recruiter. Awful coach.

As far as the subject of this thread - I'd absolutely trade Jones in a deal for Love... One of our biggest weaknesses this year has been rebounding, and that's something Love is sure as hell good at (when locked in). Plus his ability to play inside out and facilitate from the high post... His defense would be a weakness, but he could take some pressure off of Harden on offense. 

#19 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 671 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:58 PM

Don't want to discuss off season moves yet but Joseph is ahead of Mills in the rotation. As a Canadian, I might not be objective, but Joseph will be a good solid PG in the likes of conley in terms of style a game manager.

#20 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 473 posts
                      • LocationHouston

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

Don't want to discuss off season moves yet but Joseph is ahead of Mills in the rotation. As a Canadian, I might not be objective, but Joseph will be a good solid PG in the likes of conley in terms of style a game manager.

Oh cool, he replaced Mills, no surprise to me, but does end the discussion since no way they don't pick up his 3 mil option then. Thanks for the info.

Yeah i'd trade love for tjones in a heartbeat....but that is because I think Love is more consistently good/great. In Cleveland he's not really been that much worse than last year (26 and 12), he just shoots 5 less times per 36 minutes. His rebounding is 'down' but he plays with the best rebounding 3 in the league in James and with a true center in Mozgov. My only worry would be his back issues he's had this year, but its not like Jones has been the healthiest guy in the world either. Anyways, I don't really see Love leaving Cleveland and Lebron though anyways. I know he's not in the photos and such, but supposedly he's just a loner type who doesn't socialize.

Nothing i've read on Josh Smith seems to say he's a money chaser, plus doesn't he get paid the full amount anyways, so whatever he makes is just subtracted from what he gets from the Pistons. Essentially, he gets his piston money total no matter what? Or is it different cause he cleared waivers, or is in the next year? That part of the salary cap is hard to understand for me.

LoSTHieF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users