Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/

Photo

Houston Rockets 108, Dallas Mavericks 101: Just enough to win

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:52 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 108, Dallas Mavericks 101: Just enough to win
    By: Paul McGuire

James Harden is a basketball god.

But we have to remember that as much as we may gnash our teeth when he is out, and as much as we count how many minutes he sits and hope that the Rockets can survive without Harden for just a few more minutes, he is not winning these games by himself. Basketball is a team game, and tonight the Houston team got together to beat the most vulnerable of the Western Conference contenders.

And how did they do that? With one of the best defenses in the league. The Rockets from Brewer to Smith to Jones all played defense. The Mavericks have only three players on their team who can – Rondo, Chandler, and Al-Farouq Aminu. And while those players are not offensively reliable, Dallas’s offensive players in Dirk and Amare are not defensively reliable.

The Houston Rockets have two-way players. The Mavericks do not. That made the difference in the fourth quarter and the game.

The main two-way saviors were the headband brothers of Brewer and Josh Smith. I am still slow to come around on Smith, as there are issues with his play (namely, his passing) which I find tremendously frustrating to watch. But Smith hit all five of his free throws and played good defense on Dirk and the weakside. Yes, Dirk scored 21 points on 11 shots. But those came from jump shots and not the post. And it was in the post where Dirk became truly dangerous and led his team to a championship.

Brewer on the other hand was a speed demon who revitalized the Houston offense. Dallas does not have the athleticism to play transition defense in general, and Brewer raced up and down the court scoring bucket after bucket. Brewer did miss his only attempted three-pointer tonight, but his relentless energy gave the tired Rockets a huge energy boost.

And there was the role of Dwight Howard on Houston’s defense tonight. Howard did not play many minutes in the fourth quarter, which was when Houston finally figured out Dallas’s transition attack. There was also a scary moment in the third quarter when Howard appeared to be limping, but he jumped for the alley-oop slam in the fourth quarter and appears to be fine.

Now for the bad news. There is no way the Rockets can afford to play either Joey Dorsey or Clint Capela in the playoffs when opposing teams are in the penalty. None. It does not matter how good Dorsey’s defense can be or how exciting Capela’s dunks are. You cannot play players who are shooting 28 and 0 percent respectively from the foul line in the playoffs (and yes, that is zero. Clint Capela has not hit a free throw this season). They will be hacked and sent to the foul line.

We saw this tonight. After Dallas got into the penalty, Rick Carlisle had both players hacked through the second quarter. Capela and Dorsey went 1 for 8 from the free throw line during that stretch. They also had at least one air ball during that stretch.

This may not matter in the playoffs when Motiejunas returns from his back injury. But remember that none of Houston’s big men are reliable foul shooters. For example, Josh Smith has hit 50 percent of his foul shots as a Rockets, which translates to 1 point per possession. Meanwhile, Houston averages about 1.06 points per possession this season. Will we see Popovich or Carlisle hack Smith as well?

There are six games left in the season, and tonight’s victory ensured that the Rockets will be no worse than the sixth seed. I do not particularly care whether Houston is in the second, third, or sixth seeds. But the fourth and fifth seeds are a different matter. Golden State is terrifying. In addition to their on-court dominance, they have managed to stay healthy while most of the West battles one injury or another, and I would not be surprised to see them blow everyone away ala last year’s Spurs or the 2001 Lakers. The later Houston can face them, the better.

In the end, Houston’s fate is in its hands. They may have a few hard games to finish out the season, but they can have the second seed in a season where no one expected them to rise this much. Now they just need to keep it up for six more games.

#2 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 166 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:05 PM

The thing I'm liking about this team this second half of the season is the way that not everyone has to be on all the time. There are Harden games, Howard games, Brewer games, Ariza games, Smith games, DMo games, etc. Tonight was a perfect example of that. Everyone didn't look great the entire game, but people stepped up when they needed to, specifically Brewer in the second half. Now, obviously everyone will have to be more "on" more consistently in the playoffs, but I guess I'm just saying that I enjoy having a pretty deep team :)

Anyone else do a "no, no, no, nooo!" into a "yes, yes, yes, yeesss!" when Smith took/missed that contested 3 with like 2 min to go, but then had that awesome block/save down on defense? 

#3 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 473 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:16 AM

I've actually noticed that when Josh Smith misses an open shot (especially early in the clock) or especially when he throws a turnover pass he plays harder defense for a good spurt afterwards. Now, this is not ideal, but it is human and I find myself less and less bothered by his bonehead offense plays because I know he's going to make up for it with defensive effort. <---total fan rationalization ftw!

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,123 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

I've actually noticed that when Josh Smith misses an open shot (especially early in the clock) or especially when he throws a turnover pass he plays harder defense for a good spurt afterwards. Now, this is not ideal, but it is human and I find myself less and less bothered by his bonehead offense plays because I know he's going to make up for it with defensive effort. <---total fan rationalization ftw!

I actually see the same thing.  He erases many of his poor offensive possessions with defense--often immediately after.  That doesn't excuse anything, but it could be a lot worse.  

#5 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 166 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, the "nooo" to "yeesss" is not an infrequent occurrence with Mr. Smoove, and I kind of like it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users